Plane 1 damage 02/26/2016 05:29 AM CST
My cleric has now had two hunts on plane 1 of the rift. He has survived, but he has gotten pounded pretty good--not by creatures (although someone should have warned me about the itchy curse the seraceris can cast), but by random damage from the environment. Are there any tricks to avoiding that random damage?

Thanks,

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Plane 1 damage 02/26/2016 08:17 AM CST
Don't stand in a room with a void, nor in a room next to a room with a void.

Void damage seems to be tied to its time in any given room. You can move a void into an adjacent room by casting a particular spell at it - it's not a game secret, as far as I know - but sometimes I like to figure things out myself. Let me know if you want the spell.

Doug
Re: Plane 1 damage 02/26/2016 08:52 AM CST
What he means is cast dispel (417, 119) and it'll push it into the next room.

Same as dispelling a normal void, but since you can't make the ones in the rift go away, they just go to the next room.

~ Methais
Re: Plane 1 damage 02/26/2016 09:12 AM CST
>> My cleric has now had two hunts on plane 1 of the rift. He has survived, but he has gotten pounded pretty good--not by creatures (although someone should have warned me about the itchy curse the seraceris can cast), but by random damage from the environment. Are there any tricks to avoiding that random damage?

Usually the first thing I do when I arrive on plane 1 is run through the entire plane figuring out where the voids (and exits) are. Once I've established their location, they don't tend to move that much during the course of a hunt, I focus on the other areas as much as possible and do a lot of peering / pay a lot more attention when I'm near those areas where I initially noted them.

They'll still get you once in awhile but generally speaking it will go a lot better.

Padded armor should help reduce the severity of any damage you take from them as well.

Also, there was some vacuum (void damage?) resistant armor sold at one or two events in the past couple of years. I haven't had an opportunity to test the effectiveness of this armor since the character I bought it for is still around training level 40-something. I'll let you know in a few years! :p

>> Itchy curse

My paladin was dropping his weapon and shield several times on our first visit to plain one! I opted to come back a couple levels later (too bad for the fire mages) with some additional training focused on TD defense as well as a T5 ensorcell added to my plate armor and a T4 ensorcell added to my shield. Overkill? Probably. But itchy curse problem solved (the two additional levels I made killing fire mages certainly helped as well).

>> Void damage seems to be tied to its time in any given room.

I never knew this! Probably because I tend to deal with them trough avoidance vs. standing there and measuring the damage they deal out over time. :p

>> You can move a void into an adjacent room by casting a particular spell at it - it's not a game secret, as far as I know - but sometimes I like to figure things out myself. Let me know if you want the spell.

Hah! All these years and I never knew this either. I just assumed they would be immune because they are a 'feature' of the area. They do like to park on the critters I am hunting some days so that could come in handy.

-- Robert

Bazzelwyn says, "Maul maul maul maul maul maul maul."
Bazzelwyn says, "The answer is maul."
Re: Plane 1 damage 02/26/2016 09:56 AM CST
<<Void damage seems to be tied to its time in any given room. You can move a void into an adjacent room by casting a particular spell at it - it's not a game secret, as far as I know - but sometimes I like to figure things out myself. Let me know if you want the spell. -Doug>>

I've never seen any evidence of this, but I have seen evidence that not all voids are created equal. I can't say for sure what or why some voids are stronger than others, but it seems to happen. Do they level up when they kill a PC? Do they gen at weighted random levels the same way critters do? I am not sure. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that one of those two things happens with voids. I have seen voids wipe out capped characters passing through on plane 1, even to the point of leaving would be rescuers dead as well, with half a dozen corpses laying there. This is a rare event though, so what brings it on? I'm not sure, but I'm pretty confident that not all voids are created equal.

I do think that the basic advice "stay away from the voids" is pretty solid and pretty simple. Just don't fight in rooms with a void or next to a void. This is a little harder to determine on plane 1 than probably any other plane, because there are a number of paths that bypass the basic pyramid shape of plane 1, but with care you can mostly stay away from them.

Kerl
Re: Plane 1 damage 02/26/2016 11:29 AM CST
<someone should have warned me>

Fair warning, do not drop anything of value while you're up there if a void is nearby
Re: Plane 1 damage 02/26/2016 11:54 AM CST
Thanks for the responses. As I think about it, my main issue is probably the "next to a room with a void." I have the voids highlighted and peer before moving to avoid them, but I thought I was safe as long as I was not in the same room.

The dispel idea is helpful too. Thanks for that. And again thanks for all responses.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Plane 1 damage 02/26/2016 12:49 PM CST
Just as an FYI I think Kerl has an interesting perspective and freely admit I simply don't know for sure.

I will point out though that dispel seems to weaken / slow their activity and ferocity. Just a feeling, no proof.

But the Elf will always toss a dispel, and it has been a while since void death has hit him.

Doug
Re: Plane 1 damage 02/26/2016 01:06 PM CST
My thought was that they gradually got weaker, like feras flare severity. Same with ice patch/slips.

They could very likely spawn at greater (or lesser) potency as well. Or it could just be seriously bad luck of many open ended rolls.

Generally, they are far worse in same room but can kill from adjacent rooms, it's just not as likely.

You'll encounter the same issue on plane 1-3, and 5. Plane 4 and 5 don't have wandering voids but the fissure between 4 and the Scatter can also cause issues though not usually severe direct damage. Especially if hunting 4 and getting sucked into the Scatter. The opposite is more an annoyance and can end up on any plane.

Anyway, both fissure and voids have a few actions they can take when their action timer kicks in. You could get lucky and not get a damaging or critical void burst but definitely use Peer and try not to drop items on ground in same room.

You can also time it by feeling the air messaging which means the void flared. You then have about 30 seconds before the next if you feel aggressive enough to go into same room or adjacent and mop up.
Re: Plane 1 damage 02/26/2016 01:30 PM CST
>> You then have about 30 seconds before the next if you feel aggressive enough to go into same room or adjacent and mop up.

When I am hunting lunatics that are next to a void room, I stand two rooms away and watch (PEER) for the lunatic to be stunned by the void flare. Then I run in and finish it off. There are some days where it seems like all of the lunatics are having a 'We love the voids day' and are all parked on or next to the voids.

More likely this is just the result of people hunting all of the other ones until these are all that are left though.

But that doesn't mean that 'We love the voids day' isn't a thing.

-- Robert

Bazzelwyn says, "Maul maul maul maul maul maul maul."
Bazzelwyn says, "The answer is maul."
Re: Plane 1 damage 02/26/2016 03:26 PM CST

@Davide
I didn't see it get mentioned but making sure you have purify air up as a buff will provide noticable reduction in the damage you take. As a cleric, I'd assume you'd be in the habit of always having every spell available to you stacked whether it is useful or simply dispel fodder...but then maybe not. If you already keep this spell active, well those voids are substantially worse for everyone else!
Re: Plane 1 damage 02/26/2016 03:28 PM CST
Plane 5 doesn't have a wandering void, sure, but there can be plenty of targeted ones from those Vaespilons!
Re: Plane 1 damage 02/26/2016 03:48 PM CST
>You then have about 30 seconds before the next if you feel aggressive enough to go into same room or adjacent and mop up.

Its exactly 30s in my experience (of taking a 6 round stun, and then being hit again the instant the stun wore off, for another 6 round stun, and then being hit again the instant the stun worse off, and only then managing to run for the door/mirror)
Re: Plane 1 damage 02/26/2016 04:20 PM CST
>> Itchy curse
My paladin was dropping his weapon and shield several times on our first visit to plain one! I opted to come back a couple levels later (too bad for the fire mages) with some additional training focused on TD defense as well as a T5 ensorcell added to my plate armor and a T4 ensorcell added to my shield. Overkill? Probably. But itchy curse problem solved (the two additional levels I made killing fire mages certainly helped as well).
PEREGRINEFALCON

I did not see it mentioned but for any paladins beset with the itchy curse... 1635 Divine Intervention will remove it.

As for voids on Plane 1 I did what most everyone else has. Highlight the void, run through so you know where they are, and never stay in the same or adjacent room with them. At that level PEER is one of your best tools.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Plane 1 damage 02/27/2016 02:52 AM CST
Both of the spells 102 and 207 help with mitigating the damage from a void. The effect is cumulative.
Re: Plane 1 damage 02/28/2016 11:12 PM CST
Late to this party but I wanted to mention I had better luck in 4x moderately vacuum resistant brig than FGB when it came to wounds from voids. It, as well as several other ASGs with the same stats, was last sold at duskruin.

Taluric
Re: Plane 1 damage 03/12/2016 10:58 AM CST
Aaand. . . of course, shortly after the posting of rarely being affected. . .

>s
[The Rift]
You notice a swirling black void.
Obvious paths: north, south
>s
The black void whirls around violently tossing debris everywhere!

The black void has sucked all air out of the area!

Air is sucked away from you!
... 30 points of damage!
Massive decompression causes head to erupt in an explosion of brain and bone! Messy!

And a 30 minute respite is born.

Doug