Seems pointless. 09/12/2013 02:23 PM CDT
As you attempt to drag XXXXXXXX through the wooden door, you suddenly lose your footing and tumble forward!
You are stunned!

What's the point of this being stunned business? Why does it happen? Does it even lift?

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein
Re: Seems pointless. 10/28/2013 10:46 AM CDT
>What's the point of this being stunned business? Why does it happen? Does it even lift?

Most "features" of the Rift are there just to annoy people.

~ Methais
Re: Seems pointless. 10/28/2013 03:42 PM CDT
One of the things that I love about the rift is that it is a pain in the rear. It keeps things a little more challenging for those of us who want a challenge. There are other choices if you want to coast through hunting at high level. Let's not turn the rift into one of those.

Kerl
Re: Seems pointless. 10/28/2013 04:41 PM CDT
+1
Re: Seems pointless. 10/28/2013 10:42 PM CDT
+1

Doug
Re: Seems pointless. 10/29/2013 01:41 AM CDT
To be fair, the 1 round stun on exiting isn't that much a part of the difficulty, so not speaking directly to that, but rather the cumulative nature of it all that Methias was refering to. Other places have their own challenges like stealing critters or spell burst so I suppose it balances out. I just happen to like the challenges in the rift over item theft and spell burst.

The little stuns and voids and mood messages and odd ways in and out and up and down and the isolation... all combine to give the rift a strong sense of place. A similar place to me would be Maaghara outside Illistim, or Darkstone. We all have our favorites I suppose.

Kerl
Re: Seems pointless. 11/04/2013 10:04 AM CST
>One of the things that I love about the rift is that it is a pain in the rear. It keeps things a little more challenging for those of us who want a challenge. There are other choices if you want to coast through hunting at high level. Let's not turn the rift into one of those. -Kerl

I was referring more to the non-lethal forms of annoyance, like choking on sand because someone moved their foot the wrong way in the cavern.

Inside the rift, I like pretty much everything about it. Except vvrael destroyers always getting in my way in the Scatter and forcing me to switch rooms, only to be unable to find a room with something I can kill in it without 45728940 more destroyers showing up.

Other than that though, the Rift is awesome.

~ Methais
Re: Seems pointless. 11/04/2013 10:26 AM CST
I was referring more to the non-lethal forms of annoyance, like choking on sand because someone moved their foot the wrong way in the cavern.

I've had some fun time in the rift sands because of this both as the fool that accidentally kicked up the sand or being on the receiving end. Things like this help to give an area its character.

-- Robert
Re: Seems pointless. 11/04/2013 10:07 PM CST
>>Sand discussions. . .

I wonder what checks are made to see if one is affected. I've always considered it random, but lately, the Elf hasn't been affected by shenanigans, unless he makes the mistake of 'doing the dance / wave'. Luck?

Doug
Re: Seems pointless. 11/05/2013 01:10 AM CST
If you're standing up, it won't create a disturbance if you wave (yea there are other ways to trigger it). Waving while kneeling/siting,, or lying down = bad.

I'm not sure if waving while standing is safe for shorter races.
Re: Seems pointless. 11/05/2013 02:51 AM CST
Waving while standing will too trigger it, I've seen it happen plenty of times when people come in and wave. Now you have to be standing to wave a chrism gem at a corpse, if I remember correctly, which doesn't make any sense.
Re: Seems pointless. 11/05/2013 10:36 AM CST
There must some check then because I wave all the time without issue, unless I forget that I'm not standing.
Re: Seems pointless. 11/05/2013 11:46 AM CST
Waving while standing won't trigger it for tall races anyway. There are other actions that will though. Dancing I think, and flailing. The wand/chrism thing kind of sucks because I forget that all the time.

Kerl
Re: Seems pointless. 11/05/2013 01:36 PM CST

>There are other actions that will though. Dancing I think, and flailing. - Kerl

And, hilariously, sneezing. Nothing beats getting knocked out cold by a great honking HAAA-CHOOO!

Dave, Brandain's Bard