The sphere and 11 spirit 07/18/2013 01:22 PM CDT
So I have 11 spirit with my enhancive runestaff. Unfortunately, going through the sphere drains me of 4 spirit, bringing me to 7/11 which then requires two spirit pulses to get back to full strength. Thought this was supposed to be capped to 3 spirit max?

~Jim/Tk
Re: The sphere and 11 spirit 07/19/2013 12:52 AM CDT
I truly wish it were capped at three!

For years, one of my characters has had 11 spirit, and this has always been the result. I'd love it if it weren't. But it's not a cap of three, in its current iteration, it's a floor of seven.

And I'd be willing to bet, an Aura of 12 would experience the floor, not the cap.

Doug
Re: The sphere and 11 spirit 07/19/2013 01:28 AM CDT

12 used to leave you at 8.

GBB
Re: The sphere and 11 spirit 07/19/2013 01:33 AM CDT
Oh, the dreams and aspirations, GalenBB. :0

Um. . . still 2 spirit pulses to get back to full strength, though, right?

Happy to be wrong -- even if it still doesn't feel 'right'.

Doug
Re: The sphere and 11 spirit 07/19/2013 01:03 PM CDT
When I was wearing a variety of aura enhancives into the Rift, I always assumed from observation that the spirit loss dropped to a floor of 70%(trunc) of the character's max spirit. That leaves a character with 10 spirit at a minimum of 7, 11 spirit at 7, 12 spirit at 8, etc.

Don't know that for sure, but it seems to fit what happens to characters with 100 or higher aura. Anyone hunting the Rift with a low max spirit? I think 9 max spirit goes to a minimum 6 and 8 to 5 (max 3 points loss), but 6 max spirit would only drain you to a minimum 4 if I was right.

Dave, Brandain's Bard
Re: The sphere and 11 spirit 07/19/2013 06:28 PM CDT
To me the big question is why have such a ridiculous penalty in the first place? If the spirit loss is for some sort of flavor ("AnnoyingSauce?"), is it really necessary to stick it to people who invest in enhancives? I can only imagine how much "fun" it must be to drop into the Rift as a dark elf and then have to wait up to 10 (TEN!?) minutes for spirit! I can complete most bounties in that time!

I know it's been around forever, but this is the sort of thing that really bugs me about this game. You should not be wasting your customer's time like this. I get it. Faster is not always better, but darnit! There is nothing "better" about sitting around for up to 10 minutes waiting on spirit. Worst case scenario and all, but I would never even consider hunting the Rift if I had to put up with that (and that's coming from someone who loves the Rift!)!

~Taverkin
Re: The sphere and 11 spirit 07/19/2013 06:47 PM CDT
Symbol of Renewal is a nice Voln perk to get back 1 point if the sphere takes away too much. I've only had to gain back 1 point to function normally. And thats IF the sphere takes too much. It does not always.

Chad, player of a few
Re: The sphere and 11 spirit 07/19/2013 07:00 PM CDT
<<<Symbol of Renewal is a nice Voln perk to get back 1 point if the sphere takes away too much. I've only had to gain back 1 point to function normally. And thats IF the sphere takes too much. It does not always. >>>

Absolutely. An ensorcelled runestaff or weapon can also restore your spirit, with a little luck.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: The sphere and 11 spirit 07/19/2013 08:37 PM CDT
There are other ways to avoid the spirit loss as well, one of which had been in place for probably a decade before it was discovered.

Kerl
Re: The sphere and 11 spirit 07/19/2013 08:41 PM CDT
I switched to Voln because I hunt the Rift almost exclusively and I don't use any aura enhancives. This is just common sense, as far as I'm concerned. I understand doing things for "flavor". This is not only ridiculous, but I believe it is also unintended. The Rift and the spirit loss on the drop predate enhancives, as I recall.

~Taverkin
Re: The sphere and 11 spirit 07/19/2013 08:51 PM CDT

I just go in with enchancives and then take them off. End up with 8 spirit and good to go.

GBB
Re: The sphere and 11 spirit 07/19/2013 09:14 PM CDT
I just want to go on record as saying that I like that the rift is a royal pain in the rear. In fact, let's change a few things to make it more difficult. It's becoming too easy.

Kerl
Re: The sphere and 11 spirit 07/19/2013 10:02 PM CDT

>>There are other ways to avoid the spirit loss as well, one of which had been in place for probably a decade before it was discovered.

This, among other things. The creators of the rift did quite an amazing job. For every nuisance there is a rift generated solution. Granted this doesn't make things as easy if there was no nuisance in the first place...but at least there a great deal of depth to the rift and it isn't just a nuisance..simply because it felt like a good place for one.

A few thoughts come to mind,
1. Is there an alchemy recipe to replenish spirit? If not, shouldn't there be a cleric one to do just this?
2. New voln symbol for replenishing spirit is very suited to the rift.
3. Maybe it is time the owner of the spirit flaring code for weapons brought back this service and updated it to be added to runestaves. When I first began hunting the rift I had a spirit vial flaring weapon and I'd stock up, pass a few to the others sitting at the cavern. IRRC they go bad/useless after a couple of days so can't exactly stock up without someone local owning one.
4. I wonder what else is still yet to be discovered about the rift. Wish I had been high enough level for the opening of it.

Lochiven
Re: The sphere and 11 spirit 07/23/2013 09:55 PM CDT
There isn't a alchemy potion that immediately restores a point (or more) of spirit. There are three spirit regeneration trinkets (minor, lesser, greater) that'll speed up how fast you get your spirit back.

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Speaking to Plur, Belnia says, "You're no Kembal."
Re: The sphere and 11 spirit 07/24/2013 12:02 AM CDT
The Rift is an awesome challenging hunting area.

Try hunting the Bog in Ta'Vaalor at level 35-50. It may be even more challenging than the Rift.

Chad, player of a few
Re: The sphere and 11 spirit 07/24/2013 08:42 AM CDT
It looks like the sphere reduces spirit as follows:

10 --> 7
11 --> 7
12 --> 8
13 --> 9

If you need to be at full aura and don't need an enhanced aura, then the way to deny the sphere some of your spirit is to use an aura enhancive (enough to raise your spirit to 12 or 13) just before you enter the sphere and then put away the enhancive as soon as you arrive in the rift.

Unfortunately, aura enhancives are expensive. On the other hand, you can probably find an aura enhancing weapon or shield that's only good for fusion for a fair price in a player shop. You could use it just for the sphere.

I haven't actually tried this tactic. But what could possibly go wrong?
Re: The sphere and 11 spirit 07/24/2013 10:13 AM CDT
I haven't actually tried this tactic. But what could possibly go wrong?

I'm probably wrong... but I think the loss scales with your max total. So even if you were to put on an enhancive after you went through you would still be at the same ratio of loss as you were before you put it on.

Chad, player of a few
Re: The sphere and 11 spirit 07/25/2013 04:51 PM CDT
I have one of those +5 spell aiming skullcaps that also has a -1 to Aura bonus. For a while, it'd knock my Aura down just enough that my max spirit would go from 10 to 9. So, I'd enter the sphere, have my spirit reduced to 7, and as soon as I fell into the Rift, I'd put it on, and I'd be at 7/9 spirit, and I'd be able to hunt without issue.

Of course, now that tactic doesn't work since my AUR stat has increased past that threshold, but Symbol of Renewal solves that problem for me now. But in short, max loss doesn't scale after you go through the sphere and fall into the Rift.

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Speaking to Plur, Belnia says, "You're no Kembal."