destroyers 07/04/2013 02:50 PM CDT
I thought at first they had full plate and a lot of crit padding. But now it seems like its full plate and a lot of puncture resist. Anyone able to confirm this?
Re: destroyers 07/04/2013 06:47 PM CDT
Its padding, I forget who said it but it makes sense, I've gotten some high endrolls on them with my maul to their domes and they didn't die.
Re: destroyers 07/15/2013 11:31 AM CDT
<<Its padding, I forget who said it but it makes sense, I've gotten some high endrolls on them with my maul to their domes and they didn't die.>>

Not that I would know one way or the other, but that doesn't really mean anything, does it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't crit randomization mean that you can no longer guarantee a critical kill by striking a vital location on an extremely high end roll?

~Taverkin
Re: destroyers 07/15/2013 12:20 PM CDT
>>Not that I would know one way or the other, but that doesn't really mean anything, does it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't crit randomization mean that you can no longer guarantee a critical kill by striking a vital location on an extremely high end roll?

Hmm, my terminology might not be exactly on target, but crit randomization makes the actual crit range between the calculated (maximum) crit and half the rank of that crit. It's not randomized across the full crit range. So depending on what kind of damage you're doing, and where it's being done, there are some hits that are guaranteed to kill regardless of randomization.

So to check out this case, consulting the crit tables (http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Crush), the highest crush damage crit to the head is a rank 9 ("Incredible blast shatters head into a red spray."). So if you got an extremely high endroll, you hit that maximum rank 9. In GS3, you'd get that message every time on a very high endroll with crush against the head. Now that we have randomization, you could get anywhere between 9 and half of 9 -- so it'll be one of 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9. And as it happens, those are all fatal (5 is "Solid strike caves the [target]'s skull in, resulting in instant death!"). You would never see that randomized down below 5 if your endroll earned a 9 (e.g., you'll never see "Hearty smack to the head" or "Skull cracks in several places").

That's part of the reason that crushing weapons can be useful. If you get a high endroll on the head or neck, it's a guaranteed kill. Puncture and slash, by comparison, are both nonfatal at rank 5 ("Beautiful shot pierces skull! Amazing the [target] wasn't killed outright!" and "Hard blow to the [target]'s ear! Deep gash and a terrible headache!") so even with an astronomical endroll you could still see those nonfatal crits.
Re: destroyers 07/15/2013 12:24 PM CDT
>>but doesn't crit randomization mean that you can no longer guarantee a critical kill by striking a vital location on an extremely high end roll?

With the right weapon, the right location, and a high enough endroll you will always get a crit kill. A maul to the head/neck is one of those, it takes a minimum of a rank 5 to kill and as long as the endroll is high enough to achieve a rank 9 randomizing won't make it go below a rank 5. Randomizing can only reduce the crit rank by half and it rounds up surprisingly enough so 9/2= 4.5 which becomes 5.