forgive the rant... 03/03/2013 09:01 PM CST
Can we please fix the pool so that it will not strip songs upon entering while swimming to the birthing sands? It just seems a redundant extra penalty to bards hunting in the rift. When you consider that self-spelled in the rift bards probably have one of the worst TD of any profession against the spirit spells getting thrown around in there, it feels like bards get hit with a double time penalty (re-sing 7 songs , then waiting on spirit upon leaving the sphere), on top of an already challenging hunting area, for no clear role play or mechanical purpose.

As an aside please for the love of god lower the CS of soul siphons, or remove the fear affect from them, or give me 75 more TD because one cast at me and its CS was +118 over my TD, do you know what a cast that can't miss does? it ends your hunt...every time, that's not fun, that's not challenging, that's just sucks.

Archales
Re: forgive the rant... 03/03/2013 10:25 PM CST
The fear happens rarely from siphons. Other than that I feel your pain. It's one of those things about Gemstone in general: most CS casting critters are spiritual in nature, so in the rift, where you can only wear spells in native circles, elementalists have some added risks there.

The scatter thing that drives me bonkers is the major dispell. One shot of that ends my hunt, as their ability is so strong. The liches often strip 6 spells or so. Almost every casting critter in the rift dispells, with at least 1 on each plane.

Kerl
Re: forgive the rant... 03/04/2013 08:51 AM CST
Archales, get yourself some lichbane talismans. The materials aren't terribly difficult to find. You just need to find a cleric alchemist to actually make the amulets, but I'm sure somebody will help you out. If you get the medium lichbane talisman you can also hunt liches safely...or at least you can hunt them as safely as anyone can be when hunting liches! No sheer fear, but the rest is up to you! Everything in there preprepares spells. Not much anyone can do about that. But at least avoiding the fear will give you a good chance of getting them before they get you.

Bards do have a spellsong that makes it difficult for enemies to cast, right? If that's feasible to use, maybe you can minimize the number of deaths that occur upon walking into the room.

~Taverkin
Re: forgive the rant... 03/04/2013 06:16 PM CST
I do love the lichbane talismans they are a god send, but only last for maybe half a hunt given how long my rift excursions generally take, so I keep running out. I haven't played around with song of noise in the scatter, but I suspect that since it was intended to be post-cap hunting, the soul siphons and liches will spawn at lvl 100 to 110 and I've noticed song of noise is very unreliable like level, and worthless if they have even a couple levels on you, their casts just right through.

I'll give it another go just because the scatter is pretty much the only game in town in this region, I'm sure some of this is just the learning curve of random deaths that happens whenever I explore a new hunting ground.

Archales
Re: forgive the rant... 03/04/2013 07:52 PM CST
Isn't song of noise also nasty CvC?

Kerl
Re: forgive the rant... 03/04/2013 07:58 PM CST
As with any CvC experience, getting the first shot that lands typically will indicate a winner. That's the main trick. If I can get 1017 off before you can somehow disable me, then yes, as a pure you are probably SOL. Not always, as it can be cast through but that is rare. 1016 is very effective against characters, too. Can't say I ever used it against critters, though.

~Galenok
Re: forgive the rant... 03/04/2013 07:58 PM CST
Was just a suggestion. I have no idea how well it would work. But not having to sit there and let them get a free cast from sheer fear is your best protection I'm sure. Plane 4 is good hunting if the scatter is too rough.

~Taverkin
Re: forgive the rant... 03/04/2013 08:47 PM CST
I wasn't making any commentary on its use in deliberate PvP, I'm just not wanting to walk into it while hunting. I don't really recall how it effects me to be honest.

Kerl
Re: forgive the rant... 03/04/2013 09:05 PM CST
It shouldn't effect you hardly at all, Kerl. Basically, it shouldn't really be an issue unless he stalls in a room that a pure is hunting in. It takes a bit to renew.

~Galenok
Re: forgive the rant... 03/07/2013 01:48 PM CST

I second the motion to fix bard songs and the pool.

Big CS and a better first attack is the best way bards have of living in the scatter. North is ok, south might take some getting used to. I do not know I only hunt the south as attacks of oppurtunity peering through the barriers.

GBB