Hunting the Scatter 12/13/2012 11:50 PM CST
I hit 99 today and started getting tasks for fetish masters. So I'm a couple of Scatter tasks in now and I'm starting to get the hang of it. My observations so far:

fetish masters - Insane bolt DS, but highly susceptible to call wind. They become easy kills for me once they've been knocked down with their stance forced up a bit. I've heard they cast spikethorn, but have only allowed them to cast twice so far (tangleweed both times!). They do not appear to keep spells prepared, but not 100% sure on that. No idea what else they might cast.

soul siphons - Pathetic bolt DS makes them fodder, but their CS is pretty nasty and I know they have a maneuver as well. With the level difference and the fact that these are undead, sheer fear is a potential problem, also. They don't seem to keep spells prepared, but I can't be sure. Knockdown with call wind or ewave is iffy, but bolt DS is so low that it doesn't matter. Best strategy with these guys seems to be to just take them out with bolts right away.

vvrael destroyers - Of course I can't do anything to these guys as a pure wizard. Seem to be fairly quick and love to use that effect that forces offensive stance. However, they don't seem to be much of a threat by themselves. I suspect they have a few tricks I haven't seen. Possibly disarm? Pretty sure they tackle and feint, too. And their weapons look suspicious. Flaring? Weighted? Might they have an AS booster like lost souls and n'ecare? I need to find out more about these so I can gauge how dangerous they are.

Cerebralites and crawlers are nothing new. Was surprised to find crawlers either don't spawn at all or only rarely spawn in the north side of the scatter. I only saw one crawler over the course of two bounties (fetish master heirloom and 19 fetish masters). I figure he probably Rifted in or came through the open fissure, if they can do that? Are crawlers more common on the south side of the scatter perhaps?

All in all not a bad place for me, as far as I can tell. But maybe I'm just getting lucky at this point!

Feel free to fill in the blanks if you have any tips for me in this area! And if you need a rescue in the scatter (non-lich side!) and I'm around, I can probably help now!

~Taverkin
Re: Hunting the Scatter 12/14/2012 12:19 AM CST
Being a halfling with good maneuver defense you may not have to worry about the spike thorns as much as other people until you get heavy with boxes.

With siphons a high level one will get you with shear fear at some point which could be very good for you depending on how it goes.

Destroyers swing at around 460-470 with mauls and claids, both are hard hitting weapons on their own so there is nothing special about them that I know of. Other then forcing you into offensive stance with warcries they also have mightly blow which basically does the same thing when they swing at you, depending on your DS this can be bad for your health. I didn't notice them doing anything to boost their AS when I was hunting them last, so if they do its not very common.

Crawlers don't actually spawn in the scatter and are only native to plane four, anywhere else they are either rifted or have warped there themselves.
Re: Hunting the Scatter 12/14/2012 07:10 AM CST
Well, I guess I'd better finish up this 7x fusion enchant and start using a 4x runestaff for a little extra security. A 470 AS mighty blow with a claidhmore might get through! Do the destroyers have any other maneuvers besides mighty blow and the warcry that forces offensive stance? No disarm? Tackle?

Thanks for the info!

~Taverkin
Re: Hunting the Scatter 12/14/2012 08:37 AM CST
Yes, they tackle. At least, I think it's tackle. Prone, round time / stun, they get up and whoop on you.

Masters have a couple of vulnerabilities, and don't wander around with prepped spells that I've seen. If one steps in and casts on you, it's because some elf was up there, saw one prepping to cast and faded away because he couldn't get an action in, in time.

Doug
Re: Hunting the Scatter 12/14/2012 09:04 AM CST

Don't forget the dolls.
Re: Hunting the Scatter 12/14/2012 09:06 AM CST
Yes, they tackle, I rarely see it happen though. I don't run from prepping masters either, I dodge their spikes with ease most of the time.
Re: Hunting the Scatter 12/14/2012 03:06 PM CST
>Don't forget the dolls.

yes, this is the only truly dangerous thing they do. they can summon up a dozen little dolls. not particularly effective but between FOF and whatever they do to cause RT, they can be extremely deadly, especially if there is also a Destroyer in the room. You'll find out all about this against your first grizzled. It seems to be about all they do.

Since you can't kill them, this likely isn't an issue, but 2 destroyers in a room can be dangerous. tackle, sunder shield, and heavy weapons.

--Jurp
Re: Hunting the Scatter 12/14/2012 05:48 PM CST
Thanks for the info, guys! That paints a pretty solid picture of what to expect! I think I'll do alright hunting here.

What about liches? No idea how hard they hit, what spells they cast, maneuvers, immunities, armor, stuns, etc. I gather not many people attempt to hunt these things, but I'm going to at least give it a shot at some point once I cap.

~Taverkin
Re: Hunting the Scatter 12/14/2012 09:30 PM CST
Oh, a few of us hunt liches with surprising success.

Watch out for the rapid casting and the boil earths, though. And be prepared to dispel.

Doug
Re: Hunting the Scatter 12/15/2012 02:34 AM CST
Don't forget the major ewaves. They also mass dispel, cast evil eye, and not sure what else. I haven't spent too much time hunting them. And of course they tend to cast and keep 540 up as well.
Re: Hunting the Scatter 12/15/2012 10:16 AM CST
I think taking a friend along is probably the best advice for these.

Someone who knows how to kill them.

Permanently.

It's kind of disappointing to get through the battle, only to see them rise again.

Doug
Re: Hunting the Scatter 12/15/2012 01:44 PM CST
Well, Doug, I did have someone in mind to bring with me when I decide to give these things a try. I was planning to cap first, but I imagine with a lichbane talisman to ward off the fear that 1 level won't make much of a difference anyway (although I expect the post-cap training certainly will!). In any event, I'm just gathering information so I don't go in there completely blind!

I hear you have to attack the phylactery several times to kill it once the lich itself is dead? I assume haste applies? Can this be done with a runestaff? Is an actual AS/DS check made on these attacks? Anything else I should know?

Do they pre-prepare spells?

Elemental/sorc spells only? Or do they use any spiritual warding spells?

I've heard that they have a spell immunity of some sort. I was told total immunity to spells below level 10, but I was wondering if they really just use that arcane spell that provides immunity up to a certain spell level based upon the proficiency of the caster? So what's the deal with that?

Any idea on their bolt DS?

Do any of our knockdown spells work against them? Tremors, call wind, ewave? I figure the level difference might make it difficult, but knocking them down would obviously make it a lot easier to hit them!

Whatever details you want to provide may be useful to me! I'm trying to cut down on trial and error here, since getting rescues in that area is asking a lot most times! But look on the bright side! If I can figure out a good strategy for hunting liches, then I'll be able to rescue you guys in there, too! LoL

~Taverkin
Re: Hunting the Scatter 12/15/2012 03:13 PM CST
'There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path. . . '

But yes, you're hearing correctly. And yes, Haste comes into its own as a non-warmage spell in the Scatter.

They don't pre-prepare to the best of my knowledge, but they cast faster than any other creature in the game. I'd almost accuse them of using rapid-fire.

I haven't seen any spiritual spells from them, you get enough of that with the masters that roam around there. But in truth, I don't give them much of a chance to cast, either. So I can't say I've seen it all.

Bolt DS is painfully high, but nothing a shot of abjuration or two won't take care of. Figure you're facing your worst nightmare -- yourself with sorcery spells, and you won't be far off.

As to the knock downs -- unreliable, as you guessed.

There are a couple of good tricks to use against them, though. Even then. . . lich hunting for the wizard is one of the most adrenalin filled rushes you can experience. Far, far better than sentries.

Doug
Re: Hunting the Scatter 12/16/2012 08:34 AM CST
Thanks for the tips, guys! I bumped my guild difficulty up to take on soul siphon tasks. It's a bit of a pain since I'm a non-Voln wizard. But minor lichbane talismans seems to be enough to protect me from the fear so far. Hopefully they'll be enough for liches, too!

No deaths so far. Several bounties completed. The destroyers bother me, but there are extra precautions I can take beyond simply trying to avoid them that I think may allow me to more or less ignore them in the future and focus on the other stuff that I can kill (but can kill me back just as easily!). Time will tell! But with 1 more level to go until cap and plenty of room to improve after that, I feel pretty good about hunting the scatter.

Next up, the south side! Doug, you'll have to show me around some time! I'll probably cap within the next week if I find the time and am feeling motivated!

~Taverkin
Re: Hunting the Scatter 12/16/2012 09:02 AM CST
Be happy to, but look for the odd ranger, warrior and paladin up there, too. There are a few southies.

Doug
Re: Hunting the Scatter 12/16/2012 09:11 AM CST
Minor fear occurs at 10-14 level difference and major fear at 15 or more. The weakest talisman gives 3 levels of fear protection, as do most spells and society abilities that provide shear fear protection, the medium talisman 6 levels, and the highest total immunity. Normal critters spawn up to 5 levels above their base so you have to get within 4 levels of the base level of a critter to avoid all shear fear. The medium talisman is enough to protect a capped character from all shear fear due to normal spawns up to base 110 undead.
Re: Hunting the Scatter 12/16/2012 07:23 PM CST
Ahh, good to know. Sure wish those talismans lasted a little longer, though! Are the medium ones particularly costly or difficult to make? I see the recipe involves trinket oil, small enruned bones, nightshade berry, blue rift-shard, and blue essence shard, but I know pretty much nothing about alchemy and with the exception of the rift-shards, I have no idea where to get these items, how much they might cost, etc. I'll have to figure that out. Dealing with liches sounds like a handful enough without having to deal with sheer fear! Also, how many charges do these things have? I've only used them a couple of times so far.

~Taverkin
Re: Hunting the Scatter 12/25/2012 03:26 PM CST
Agreed on the wish that the talismans lasted longer. 10 minutes flat regardless of training makes for an expensive hunt, especially if you've been tasked with a culling/heirloom/particularly dangerous lich task. I mostly pass on those tasks, simply because between the cost of 2-3 talisman rubs, and the strength of their dispell casting, I end up going through a ton us resources and it just isn't worth it.

Regarding the fetish masters, in very rare cases they'll cast a very strong tangle weed when their in offensive stance. It's actually more dangerous than their spikethorn in those circumstances.

The Soul Siphon maneuver is brutal: 3-4 strikes, each creating a wound, a stun and round time all in one shot. I had a particularly dangerous one do it to me 3x in a row the other day and it was curtains, even though I was using every trick I know.

As for the other discussion about making access to the rift easier etc, I've always liked the place because of its remoteness and difficulty. I would agree though that arcane spells should stick, and honestly, why do we even have a pool that strips spells at this point? If you can't wear them, the rift will strip them anyway.
Re: Hunting the Scatter 12/28/2012 07:48 AM CST
Out of boredom with Nelemar, I've recently begun poking around the Scatter. My experiences more or less mirror yours, Taverkin. A good hunting ground for a mage, but you need to be quick or be dead. Being bound by a cerebralite with a destroyer in the room gets ugly in a hurry, and I have the advantage of a +5 CvA due to my leather breastplate. When I finish my spell training and pump my bonus from 430 up some, it may not be as bad. Ultiamtely everything there can be killed quickly (minus Vvrael), although the fetish masters are the toughest nuts to crack due to their DS. I need to max out my enhancives; I have room for another +12 of Spell Aim and a bunch of DEX bonus, which would both help me a lot up there.

I haven't gone through the barrier yet, but I know a few things about Liches just from having read the forums:
- come in frost borne and infernal flavors (ice and fire respectively)
- completely immune to spells below 10th level
- cast 435, which is more or less a death sentence if you let it happen due to their base level of 110
- go in there with a major lichbane talisman or sheer fear will make shorter work of you than 435 will
- do not wear armor, are stunnable. Not sure if they shake stuns.

As I understand it, their TD is insane enough that a max-CS specced and enhanced dark elven mage could not hunt them using Immolation. I think the tactic to hunt them would need to be ewave, dispel, Hurl Boulder/Major Shock and hope for the best. I'll get around to trying them out when I have a bit more experience under my belt.

- Gondain
Re: Hunting the Scatter 01/16/2013 03:19 PM CST
I don't know if you ever got a chance to do any lich hunting on your last visit, Gondain, but if not I can now fill you in on these guys in detail.

So, a bunch of things you should know about liches...

- They use haste, but don't appear to keep it up continuously. When they have haste up, WATCH OUT! Their RT is next to nothing, and it seems to increase their casting speed as well (they're fast enough to prepare and cast in less than a 3s cast RT)!

- They spawn with temporal reversion up. It works against physical attacks, including bolts.

- Immune to spells below level 10.

- A medium lichbane talisman will protect you from sheer fear if you're level 100. It also provides additional TD against fear-based spells (they cast evil eye and at least one other spell that's considered fear-based).

- They cast invisibility, but they only seem to cast it while you're fighting them (no ambushes so far and I've been in there many times!).

- Elemental TD 518, bolt DS ranges from 450-550 (prone, offensive stance), which depends mainly upon whether or not the lich has wizard's shield up and the usual environmental effects of the Rift. You're lucky if you find a lich with less than 475 DS. They're pretty consistently in the high 400s without wizard's shield and well over 500 with it up.

- Elemental CS is 509, sorcerer CS is 477, and bolt AS is 431. So far I can confirm they cast 717, 718, 501, 519, 907, 908, 909, 435, and 530 offensively.

- They stun and like everything else in the Scatter with the exception of the Vvrael, they can't shake stuns. They seem to have no armor or padding.

- You must destroy the phylactery they wear once you kill them. Looting prior to this fails and induces 3s RT. Attacking the phylactery with a runestaff usually requires 3-4 hits at 3-7 seconds RT. Haste helps immensely with this! If you destroy the phylactery, you can loot the lich or it can decay normally. If you fail to destroy it, the lich comes back to life and you get to start all over again!

- They come in fire and ice flavors, depending on the temperature of the Scatter. I wasn't able to discern any practical difference between the two types except that one casts major fire and the other casts major cold, and their major ewaves are flavored appropriately as well: blueberry or strawberry, your choice!

- Liches don't appear to spawn with spells prepared, nor do they pre-prepare spells once spawned.

- I haven't confirmed this, but bounty tasks for liches specify a particular type, so I expect killing frostborne when you're asked to kill infernals won't get you credit. And of course there's nothing I know of that you can do to change the temperature of the scatter.

- Ewave works, but it doesn't force stance so I found liches had too much DS following an ewave most times.

- Mass dispels are a good way to lower their DS, but be aware that the level difference means you'll only get 2 spells off of them for 30 mana.

First impressions: Impossibly fast! Let me say that again, FAST! Lag or miss anything in the screen scroll and these things will be all over you. They aren't too bad without haste, but with it you'll need to either get away from them or somehow incapacitate them quickly. Offensively they were actually not half as bad as I expected. They seem to favor warding spells over 530 and 435, but they cast those frequently enough, believe me! I found 435 to be less dangerous than advertised (but that could be due to being a halfling with a 140 score and a 60 bonus in dexterity from enhancives!). And again due to halfling racial bonuses, they aren't able to ward me at all. 530, however, is horrifying. Due to the level difference it will reliably strip a whole bunch of spells off you. Now I know how the ghosts in Pacman feel after getting chomped! I never ran for the exit so fast in my life! LoL

The biggest problem I had with them was the amount of mana required to bring them down. But hunting with a partner seems to alleviate most of that and I imagine with increased training in harness power they'd be manageable, provided your bolt AS is high enough to hit them (mine's 530 and it's still pretty difficult without a dispel at times).

Anyway, that's all the info I came up with so far, I think. If anybody wants a lich hunt some time, feel free to hit Taverkin up in Icemule or on Lnet.

~Taverkin
Re: Hunting the Scatter 01/16/2013 03:34 PM CST
Liches are particularly weak against unarmed combat... just saying. Most things in the Scatter are.

.jaired
>LIKE A BOSS
Please rephrase that command.
Re: Hunting the Scatter 01/16/2013 03:39 PM CST
>Liches are particularly weak against unarmed combat... just saying. Most things in the Scatter are.

Does this include their phylactery? Last time I was their I found them easy enough to kill with DC, but I had forgotten about the phylactery so I just ended up killing the same one about 5 times then deciding to leave and come back one I remembered/relearned the trick to keeping them dead. I haven't been back since, but am concidering another trip in the not so distant future.

--Jurp
Re: Hunting the Scatter 01/16/2013 04:53 PM CST
I did go in with a UAC rogue and she seemed to be able to kill them, but I don't know enough about UAC to understand what was going on with that except to say that she was landing kills. The problem she explained to me was in getting them by themselves and staying hidden for ambushes. The cleric who seemed to be able to kill them well enough expressed issues with being unable to actually loot them. He knew about the phylactery, but said it was often difficult to break it in time to loot, what with all the other monsters in the area trying to kill you and the RT. It turns out joining up with another player was a nice solution to both of those problems!

~Taverkin

Re: Hunting the Scatter 01/16/2013 04:59 PM CST
A pretty good rundown on liches, but I have a correction or two.

>- Liches don't appear to spawn with spells prepared, nor do they pre-prepare spells once spawned.

They do spawn with spells prepped and will pre-prepare spells.

>- I haven't confirmed this, but bounty tasks for liches specify a particular type, so I expect killing frostborne when you're asked to kill infernals won't get you credit. And of course there's nothing I know of that you can do to change the temperature of the scatter.

Liches of either type will count for bounties.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: Hunting the Scatter 01/16/2013 05:18 PM CST
Ahh thanks for the info, Droit. Bet it must be fun to walk into a mass dispel! Surprised it hasn't happened yet!

~Taverkin
Re: Hunting the Scatter 01/16/2013 05:54 PM CST
Generally, creatures will only pre-prepare certain spells, even if they have a full repertoire at their disposal. For example, triton sentries always spawn with dark catalyst prepped, despite having access to implosion. Liches don't always spawn with anything prepped, but I just went up to check and had a lich cast major ewave right off the bat.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Re: Hunting the Scatter 01/16/2013 06:20 PM CST
>Liches are particularly weak against unarmed combat... just saying. Most things in the Scatter are.

>Does this include their phylactery?

No. Carry a big blessed something to bash the phylactery with. Larger weapons shatter it faster and more reliably than smaller ones.

.jaired
>LIKE A BOSS
Please rephrase that command.
Re: Hunting the Scatter 01/16/2013 06:29 PM CST
The item used to bash the phylactery does not need to be blessed. Also, I prefer using a smaller weapon to bash the phylactery because it's much more tactical to suffer several small RT chunks than large RT chunks. The total RT is pretty comparable between small and large weapons anyway. I use an arrow (4 bashes @ 4-6 seconds per) myself, and I rarely have trouble cracking it before the respawn.

Droit

Re: Hunting the Scatter 01/16/2013 07:16 PM CST
>The total RT is pretty comparable between small and large weapons anyway. I use an arrow (4 bashes @ 4-6 seconds per) myself, and I rarely have trouble cracking it before the respawn.

Thanks Droit, last (dumb) question; I'm getting the impression this is more a matter of the action than skill with the weapon, in other words do I need edged training to bash a phylactery with a dagger? If so I guess I can always drag my old tiger claw out of the locker.

--Jurp
Re: Hunting the Scatter 01/16/2013 08:47 PM CST
>Thanks Droit, last (dumb) question; I'm getting the impression this is more a matter of the action than skill with the weapon, in other words do I need edged training to bash a phylactery with a dagger? If so I guess I can always drag my old tiger claw out of the locker.

Nope. Any weapon will do regardless of training.

Droit