Sheer fear? 02/05/2012 03:54 AM CST
>nw
[The Rift, Scatter]
Overturned desks lie in disarray on the bloody floor of an old classroom. All along the weathered walls, school books have had their pages stabbed through with daggers, securing them to the wooden panels beneath. The freezing wind rushes in through an open window, howling and moaning like a spirit possessed. You also see a murky soul siphon, a Vvrael destroyer, a Vvrael destroyer and a barbed cerebralite tentacle.
Obvious exits: northeast, southeast
>
Overcome by the waves of evil emanating from the soul siphon, your arms fall slack at your side and you find yourself unable to move.

A murky soul siphon rears back before thrusting one bladed arm at you!
The force of a murky soul siphon's power warps the air as it surges toward you!
CS: +452 - TD: +428 + CvA: +12 + d100: +55 - +5 == +86
Warded off!
A few nebulous wisps coalesce about you before dissipating in a confused spiral.
I>
You notice the destroyer's black steel maul focus itself upon his foe, giving additional force to his strike!
A Vvrael destroyer swings a crackling black steel maul at you!
AS: +470 vs DS: +375 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +91 = +219
... and hits for 88 points of damage!
Awesome shot collapses one of your lungs!
You are stunned for 6 rounds!
!SI>

Kinda went downhill from there. I'm 100, using Self Control which I believe adds 3 phantom levels, bringing me up to 103. Siphons' base level is 106, so should spawn up to 111. That's a max of 8 levels above me. Fear is supposed to start at 10 levels above. What am I missing here?
Re: Sheer fear? 02/05/2012 08:43 AM CST
Check the spells which dropped when you died. Maybe it had dropped earlier.

Maybe the critter had got a level boost from killing someone else earlier. Is that 452 the CS for a level 108 siphon or higher?
Re: Sheer fear? 02/05/2012 07:54 PM CST
613 dropped when I died. I didn't think of that one, maybe that's it, the critter had leveled up from killing someone else. No idea on the CS.