Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: In the hands of the victim 10/29/2010 11:56 AM CDT
>Completely misunderstood. The thrill is the sense of omnipresent danger. Of course you don't know the moment you've been robbed. You know that, at all times, you MIGHT be.

With all due respect, this definition of fun is entirely in the eye of the beholder. I could never find the constant threat of pickpocketing, due to the limitations of the mechanics behind the verb, fun. The thief? Sure. The mark? No. Though in that, i've only stated my POV. However, we can both agree the mechanics need a LOT of work.

>So you get something out of applying overwhelming force to earn your character experience and/or cashmoneys, but prefer not to have the same applied to your character, because you want the game to be fun for you.

Tell you what, since I am supposed to be experiencing fun when facing these sort of odds, why not reverse them to stop the tide of complaining about PP? Have the thief face overwhelming odds of force. I mean, it's FUN! No sense denying them their fun, right?

Do I want the game to be fun for me? Yes. Of course I do. My fun doesn't come at the cost of someone else's enjoyment of the game. A thief's fun does. You can't get around this point by describing the joys of being robbed.

>Unless, of course, your preference is to allow no theft on principle, in which case, hooray for your tolerance of other meanings of "fun". -Anorian

Your definition "Enjoy being robbed!" of fun is not one i've ever cared to explore. If you can't logic out the why of this, then yeah. We will have to agree to disagree.

Evarin and his Mis'ri
Re: In the hands of the victim 10/29/2010 12:04 PM CDT
And you have some of best deterrents available. Curse and other spells that (either intended or not) don't trigger the justice system. -Keleborrn.

My gem cursing you gains me nothing but entrance into CvC. CvC in all other forms is based on consent. Thievery is not.

Again, Thievery as it stands now does nothing for the mark. The best we can possibly hope to do is get even. How is this a rewarding system again?

Make Thievery a more developed skill. As I said, give people the chance to steal from festivals, pawnshop/alchemy/gemshop tables, NPCs, NPC homes, etc. At THAT point, THEN you have an opt in/Opt out system where any ranks in thievery ops you into the system. If you want to enjoy the fruits of the system, you must also tolerate the risks. As it stands now, it is simply a losing proposition.

Evarin and his Mis'ri
Re: In the hands of the victim 10/29/2010 12:46 PM CDT
It's hard to come up with alternatives to the current system that don't immediately seem abusable.

Here's an option:
Increase the theft timer (a lot - on the order of hours after a successful attempt). Make a successful pull duplicate whatever is stolen - other characters don't lose anything.
Give experience or increase the amount we can steal by a large amount.
Keep the part that says you can blast the crap out of me if you catch me stealing from you, even though you aren't actually losing anything.
Watch everybody set up scripted stealing bots with carefully selected stealable items to maximize the duped item gain.

Something like that would make it more worthwhile to single out a target, work the numbers to get the best advantage possible, and get a good pull from a rich mark as you only get a handful of shots a day.

But I can see it getting abused the second it gets turned on.

-Keleborrn.
Re: In the hands of the victim 10/29/2010 01:08 PM CDT
>While some people may prefer a security blanket respite from real life, others prefer a more visceral experience which offers more "danger". THIS is the attraction to GS theft, both for the thief and the mark, or victim, choose your connotative vantage point.--Anorian

What danger? No one is physically threatened, especially if the thief is higher level than the victim. It's frustration and annoyance, not danger.

All of which ignores my statement that you quoted anyway. I did not ask why someone would enjoy pickpocketing, either as the thief or as the victim. I asked what kind of person enjoys lessening the enjoyment of another player, or at least does not care if he or she does so, which is what you know you are doing when you pick on someone who does not wish to engage in the so-called "danger" you describe.

>To ignore one type of enjoyment, and in effect dismiss a player demographic, for the sole benefit of another, shows an inherent bias that really cheapens the game for many people. Players such as Nuadjha's and others enjoy that grit, revel in the added adversity that is there to be overcome.

Fine. So make a system that allows those who wish to opt out to do so. Otherwise, you are doing exactly what you say should not be done: dismissing a player demographic (those who do not wish to engage in pickpocketing) for the sole benefit of another (the those who do).

>Use this - don't try to take away from a world, add to it. Complaining about a skill simply says "I can't do it - I can't beat this challenge."

>Bull. It's too easy to give up that way.

It's a game. You are currently able to force your enjoyment on me. That's not a challenge, and it's not fun.

>>It isn't a matter of "I can't do it." It is a matter of, "I don't want to be forced to do it. I don't have the means, or am not willing to expend the time and resources to mount a response to this challenge. I get nothing out of this challenge and never will."--Evarin

Correct. Precisely correct.

>Here's an option:
>Increase the theft timer (a lot - on the order of hours after a successful attempt). Make a successful pull duplicate whatever is stolen - other characters don't lose anything.
>Give experience or increase the amount we can steal by a large amount.
>Keep the part that says you can blast the crap out of me if you catch me stealing from you, even though you aren't actually losing anything.
>Watch everybody set up scripted stealing bots with carefully selected stealable items to maximize the duped item gain.

None of this addresses the bullying factor. Anorian ignored it too. My level ten character cannot "blast the crap" out of a level 50 thief. Lower level characters are simply victimized, with no real options for a proportional response and, most of all, absolutely no way to get back what was stolen. Everything you said ignores this, which is the biggest problem of all with pickpocketing.

How about "If you are caught, you are permanently banished and unable to use all services in the town until you make full restitution to the victim"? Can we add that to your list of suggestions?

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: In the hands of the victim 10/29/2010 01:18 PM CDT
Any changes to theft have to incorperate Non-PCs as your primary target. PC based theft will simply be an afterthought. Policy is the only thing that needs tweaking there.

Think of the shroud mechanics. The more you use something, the higher the chance of activating negative effects. In festivals, you are able to steal off the shelf items. The more you do it, the higher the chance of you being caught. The more you are caught, the greater the penalties you face. The difference would be that skill and the worth of the item would play a factor in how many pulls you can manage before penalties are instated.

Same system for tables in the pawnshops, but localized to each city. Perhaps massive use of the system might pull in multiple cities to instate penalties against you. Banking would be updated so that if fines are leveled against you, they are instated in every city (for higher tier penalties)

The risk/reward here would be the chance of getting caught an fined, imprisoned, banished, etc. Not so much hunting based risks.

NPC neighborhoods would be available to break into houses (locksmithing, Stalking and hiding, Thievery), Locating valuable items and stashes (Perception, Trading), removing them from the house safely, and avoiding/fighting the town guard/owners. Risks would be similar to hunting and locksmithing.

Ideally, there would also be NPCs built that would wander the town, and if very ambitious, hunting grounds which could be robbed for fun and profit. This would probably be the most difficult system to code, so I don't see it as likely.

---
At that point, you would have people wanting to be involved in thievery. They would have a reason to train in the skills associated with Pickpocketing and therefor be prepared to defend against theft. At that point, anyone who trains in the system is fair game. Anyone who doesn't can opt out if they so choose.

Evarin and his Mis'ri
Re: In the hands of the victim 10/29/2010 01:29 PM CDT
My suggestion would be to Install a three paragraph instructional about thieves at the Raging Thrak. That should be it. People who still dont know any better can continue to complain about the mechanics of it here, but under the assumption that losing anything ever was your own fault.

Mark/Leash
Re: In the hands of the victim 10/29/2010 01:36 PM CDT
>My suggestion would be to Install a three paragraph instructional about thieves at the Raging Thrak. That should be it. People who still dont know any better can continue to complain about the mechanics of it here, but under the assumption that losing anything ever was your own fault. - Mark/Leash

This addresses the imbalances of thievery...how? Awareness of an inequity does not suddenly resolve the inequitable part of it.

Evarin and his Mis'ri
Re: In the hands of the victim 10/29/2010 01:49 PM CDT
>My suggestion would be to Install a three paragraph instructional about thieves at the Raging Thrak. That should be it. People who still dont know any better can continue to complain about the mechanics of it here, but under the assumption that losing anything ever was your own fault. <Leash>

Keleborrn, were you still looking for examples of thieves blaming the victims?
Re: In the hands of the victim 10/29/2010 02:14 PM CDT
<<None of this addresses the bullying factor. Anorian ignored it too. My level ten character cannot "blast the crap" out of a level 50 thief. Lower level characters are simply victimized, with no real options for a proportional response and, most of all, absolutely no way to get back what was stolen. Everything you said ignores this, which is the biggest problem of all with pickpocketing.>>

You must have missed these parts:

Make a successful pull duplicate whatever is stolen - other characters don't lose anything.
Keep the part that says you can blast the crap out of me if you catch me stealing from you, even though you aren*'*t actually losing anything

What I'm suggesting that is that the STEAL verb won't actually take anything from you.

<<Keleborrn, were you still looking for examples of thieves blaming the victims? >>

No. I thought I made that crystal clear.

-Keleborrn.
Re: In the hands of the victim 10/29/2010 02:21 PM CDT
Also, Evarin, that change to pickpocketing sounds fun, but it would require a monumental amount of changes. It's just so far removed from anything we have currently.

-Keleborrn.
Re: In the hands of the victim 10/29/2010 02:40 PM CDT
Also, Evarin, that change to pickpocketing sounds fun, but it would require a monumental amount of changes. It's just so far removed from anything we have currently. -Keleborrn.

Which is why I suggested it be the next big focus after monks, or Savants, if they have already boxed themself into another needless profession expansion. It would be a system where rogues would be the best, but everyone could enjoy to a large extent. With Oscuro pulling for rogues I doubt something of this magnitude is beyond him. It is simply a matter of allocating his time to deal with the system. We can either have a robust theft mechanic, or we can have the current poorly implemented one.

>Make a successful pull duplicate whatever is stolen - other characters don't lose anything. Keep the part that says you can blast the crap out of me if you catch me stealing from you, even though you aren't actually losing anything

That is silly. Separate loot tables for monsters would make far more sense and be far less able to be abused. The bottom line is people want to be able to steal from other PCs. They want the "thrill" of it, as it has been described. That's all well and good, but I simply believe the current mechanics make it a one-sided affair with no enjoyment afforded to the mark.

This is all moot, though. We can debate until we are blue in the face. Oscuro already stated he believes the system is fine as is. No amount of complaints are likely to change his mind.

Evarin and his Mis'ri
Re: In the hands of the victim 10/29/2010 04:38 PM CDT
>You must have missed these parts:

>What I'm suggesting that is that the STEAL verb won't actually take anything from you.

You are correct. I did miss this.

This would be fine with me.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: In the hands of the victim 10/29/2010 05:44 PM CDT
Cool. And I meant that in a friendly tone, not a condescending* one, in case you took it as anything but friendly.

-Keleborrn.

*That means to talk down to.
Re: In the hands of the victim 10/29/2010 06:23 PM CDT
Somehow your perceived need to define condescending seems more condescending to me than anything in the previous post. But I'll get over it. :)

--David, who has a PhD in English and really does know what condescending means.

Re: In the hands of the victim 10/29/2010 06:39 PM CDT
That was the joke.
Re: In the hands of the victim 10/29/2010 10:57 PM CDT
Interesting, as the proper use of the verb would be --

If you would condescend to tell me how best to use this term, then both of us would know?

Always enjoy popular use versus correct use.

:)

Doug
Re: In the hands of the victim 10/30/2010 12:24 AM CDT
Except, Doug, he was using it as an adjective, not a verb. Nothing remotely improper about his usage.

:)

--David

Re: In the hands of the victim 10/30/2010 12:24 PM CDT
Yep! Absolutely amazing how jarring it can be in our language. Damn verbs flop meaning at the drop of a hat whenever they change to another element.

;)

Doug
Re: In the hands of the victim 10/31/2010 01:30 AM CDT
<<Which is why I suggested it be the next big focus after monks, or Savants, if they have already boxed themself into another needless profession expansion. It would be a system where rogues would be the best, but everyone could enjoy to a large extent. With Oscuro pulling for rogues I doubt something of this magnitude is beyond him. It is simply a matter of allocating his time to deal with the system. We can either have a robust theft mechanic, or we can have the current poorly implemented one.>>

Ildran suggested an NPC theft system in the rogue forum as something that could be completed and implemented. I was under the impression that it was something that was not a monumental undertaking such as monks, or hiding mechanics but something that might not require a lot of resources. I think NPC pickpocketing is good direction to move forward with.

Wolfloner

Re: In the hands of the victim 11/09/2010 10:01 PM CST
>>>On the other hand, it is perfectly IC for one character to hold a grudge against someone who harmed him/her. I have a number of folks whose names I have highlighted in red, which indicates that they have torqued me off in the past. Nothing feels better than seeing one of these names go off as dying, fogging to them, and doing a little dance over their dead bodies while mocking them :) ~THROGG

Haaaay THROGG, whatever happened to forgive and forget? <poke>

Sometimes I find myself staring at a highlighted name scratching my head and wondering what in blazes the name/character did to me to put them in that category. Anyone else have that happen?

~Lori aka Horsefreak (One of the Many)
Re: In the hands of the victim 11/09/2010 10:07 PM CST
>>>d) fun and profit! (I was able to pickpocket Walkar while he was defending town for 138 coins, now thats FUN!)

Tee Hee

It is isn't it?

>>>To those that like it (from both thief and mark) its a great skill and fun to play with, but not to get rich off of, to those that don't, keep your container's closed and don't hunt gremlins either (but why whine about 12 wands 12 years later?)

Because some people lurv to carry a grudge? <cough> THROGG <cough>

Oh and how DARE you preach to people to be proactive about protecting their valuables. You should be ashamed of yourself!

>>>PS, at least they removed the drag the corpse off into the woods and wait for him to decay before so you can loot everything on them, right?! ~ROLFORD

<GASP!>

No one would EVAR do that. No way. I don't believe you.

Stop busting up my rose colored impression of the players of Gemstone III or I'm going to sick THROGG on you.

Re: In the hands of the victim 11/09/2010 10:15 PM CST
>>>why whine about 12 wands 12 years later ~ROLFARD

>>>::sigh: I was not whining. I was not holding a grudge. I was giving an example of how you can wreck someone's evening. Try to keep up. ~David

>>>God! Now he's whining about people not being able to keep up! ;) ~Josh

>>>You know, Josh, as I recall, you do not live more than about twenty minutes from me. I can still hunt you down. :) >> ~David

>>>And as I recall, you teach. What are you going to do when you hunt me down? Give me a lecture? ;) Seriously though, if you're that close to me, we should get together for lunch some time. ~Josh

LoL, you two are hysterical.

By the way, some lectures are way worse than an ass-whoopin'.

P.S. Who's buying?
Re: In the hands of the victim 11/09/2010 10:36 PM CST
>>>Interesting, as the proper use of the verb would be -- If you would condescend to tell me how best to use this term, then both of us would know? Always enjoy popular use versus correct use. :) ~Doug

WTHell Doug???

That did not even SOUND right in my head when I read it. And why does it end in a question mark? It sounds like a request, not an inquiry. You've confuzzled me and now you've left me no choice, I'm going to sick THROGG on you.

English is STUPID.

Lori smiles gently at Doug. :)

Re: In the hands of the victim 11/09/2010 10:37 PM CST
>>>That is silly. Separate loot tables for monsters would make far more sense and be far less able to be abused. The bottom line is people want to be able to steal from other PCs. They want the "thrill" of it, as it has been described. That's all well and good, but I simply believe the current mechanics make it a one-sided affair with no enjoyment afforded to the mark. ~SARDINUS

Not everyone. I want kewl LEWT! jk

If I could steal from NPCs and get some kewl reactions, I most definately would. It's just not going to happen.

As an aside, I tend to flirt horrendeously with all my targets. Sometimes it makes for some fun interaction, sometimes it doesn't.

Wait, I just realized something, they don't necessarily have to be a target for me to flirt horrendeously with them.

Hmmm, let me think on this some more.

Re: In the hands of the victim 11/09/2010 10:37 PM CST
>>>I think NPC pickpocketing is good direction to move forward with. ~Wolfloner

Not that I think it's going to happen within my lifetime, but it would be neat if we could steal from critters/NPCs. We've all been dreaming about this one for ... a few years. <grin>

However, if indeed it was implimented, no one has thought of the repercussions.

Everyone and their brother would blame us for the lack of treasure on critters.

Re: In the hands of the victim 11/10/2010 03:38 AM CST
>Stop busting up my rose colored impression of the players of Gemstone III or I'm going to sick THROGG on you.

One of the many fun ways to use gambits.

rg get mouth THROGG from forum

>You've confuzzled me and now you've left me no choice, I'm going to sick THROGG on you.

rg disp Doug THROGG
Re: In the hands of the victim 11/10/2010 09:17 AM CST
::stare::
Re: In the hands of the victim 11/10/2010 10:54 AM CST
>>>One of the many fun ways to use gambits.
>>>rg get mouth THROGG from forum
>>>rg disp Doug THROGG ~RATHBONER

Oh, oh, oh ...

Speaking of gambits, I always wanted a rg get ass <item>. Yeah I know, I'm weird. Ya'll are just realizing this now? I don't think so.

By the way, I must elaborate, the rg get ass <item> skill would ONLY apply to in the field tactics.

Ex: Rgam get ass bazooka, assuming we were in Shattered. However, since I don't play Shattered, a more suitable item for wasting said beastie would replace the Bazooka.

>>>::stare:: ~DOUG

And just what are you staring at my good Sir?

[Lori smiles gently again at DOUG]

And while I'm here and reminiscing .... WHERE IS OUR RGAMBITS BITCHSLAP command?

For Pete's sake, who is Pete anyway?, we have GROIN KICK!!

What's that saying?

Ah yes, Turnabout is fair play.

Ildran, Oscuro, I don't care whom, just code it already.

I've only been begging and whining for it for YEARS.

[Lori smiles gently at noone in particular.]

P.S. I've always wondered, yet never asked. Apparently, I'm finally going to.

How does one smile gently? :-?
Re: In the hands of the victim 11/10/2010 12:28 PM CST
A smile that includes the eyes with unconditional joy showing, leaves the eyebrows in a neutral resting position, turns up the corners of the mouth and may -- at the smiler's option -- part the lips, but only slightly.

The evil elf has been smiling that disarming kindly smile for years now. ;)

Doug
Re: In the hands of the victim 11/10/2010 06:26 PM CST
>>>A smile that includes the eyes with unconditional joy showing, leaves the eyebrows in a neutral resting position, turns up the corners of the mouth and may -- at the smiler's option -- part the lips, but only slightly. ~Doug

Eyes with unconditional joy showing?

[Lori swoons]

Ahhhh, so that's what a gentle smile looks like.

>>>The evil elf has been smiling that disarming kindly smile for years now. ;

Lori smiles gently at Doug and asks, "No really? Tell us something we don't already know about you, Hmmmm?"

As an aside, I'm not so sure that is so evil of Le Elf.

Then again .... I'll leave your secrets as just that, secrets. ;-)

Re: In the hands of the victim 11/11/2010 10:32 AM CST
>>rg get mouth THROGG from forum
>>rg disp Doug THROGG ~RATHBONER<<

I am going to have to kill you all ....

>>I always wanted a rg get ass <item>.<<

Yeah, when flying monkeys emerge from ... never mind.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: In the hands of the victim 11/11/2010 10:39 AM CST
>>Because some people lurv to carry a grudge? <cough> THROGG <cough><<

I should like to point out that I rarely carry a grudge for being pickpocketed for more than, oh, a year or so. The people who make my real fecal roster have done rather worse things ... like insulting my significant other.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page