Theft! 10/15/2012 08:55 PM CDT
>You may not steal here.

:(
Re: Theft! 10/16/2012 01:56 AM CDT
Yah, that always make me sad. Thankfully in Icemule, our town center is still sanctuary free.
Re: Theft! 10/17/2012 01:19 PM CDT
Because Icemule is awesome and stuff.

-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru
Re: Theft! 10/17/2012 01:33 PM CDT
Icemule lost all claim to be awesome when it got a barrel with a bench script in TC.

Burn the TC barrel! (or convert it to booze rather than herbs)
Re: Theft! 10/17/2012 01:50 PM CDT
Booze would be great.
Re: Theft! 10/17/2012 07:12 PM CDT
Down with sancts everywhere!

Also, more booze.
Re: Theft! 10/17/2012 08:13 PM CDT
>Down with sancts everywhere!

>Also, more booze.

I agree 100%, it's practically impossible to find a crowd these days, and when you do it's sancted? Close yer containers and get rid of the sancts!!

Plus, who can argue with more booze?
Re: Theft! 01/28/2013 03:26 PM CST
Having a bunch of different characters. I enjoy pickpockets, and I have a their myself. I don't really care about people stealing because I know I'm HUMAN and forget to close my bags. Having a Sanct everywhere is stupid, and thieves can't RP in a huge environment. Leaving it more 1 on 1, which someone would say harassment. Get rid of the sancts and let rogues be rogues. Instead of Gods protecting people that won't protect themselves. Close your containers and allow real RP in very public places

~Player of Orsu~
Re: Theft! 01/28/2013 03:33 PM CST
What rooms are sancted or not in towns are up to the town guru for each of the towns.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Theft! 01/28/2013 10:46 PM CST
I think this makes pickpocketing much more challenging than just sitting somewhere everyone gathers. Get creative to find your Marks.

The same goes for people who think sancts are places for people to hide from PVP.

But remember, hustlers of the world, there is one Mark you cannot beat: The Mark Inside.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Theft! 01/30/2013 05:41 PM CST
PP needs an update of some sort. It wouldn't even have to be any changes to mechanics, a review and more consistent application of permasancts and whatnot across towns would help.

Personally I'd like to see the actual thing we steal (coins, gems, whatever) be created at the time of the theft, not actually taken from another character. There'd have to be some limits and cooldowns and other considerations, but that way targets could choose their level of involvement as well, and if they choose to just ignore it, nothing bad actually happened to them. I think I'll drop that in the what do you want thread now.
Re: Theft! 01/30/2013 06:48 PM CST
<Personally I'd like to see the actual thing we steal (coins, gems, whatever) be created at the time of the theft, not actually taken from another character. There'd have to be some limits and cooldowns and other considerations, but that way targets could choose their level of involvement as well, and if they choose to just ignore it, nothing bad actually happened to them. I think I'll drop that in the what do you want thread now.>

I'm not sure if I like this or not. I can see it being a good thing IF sanctuaries (perma and otherwise) stopped preventing theft at the same time but I can also see how it could run the risk of eroding what little RP is currently possible with PP (if yer not losing anything, why bother RPing it out?).

What would be preferable to me, would be enabling folk trained in PP to be able to steal from the tables in the pawnshop, gemshop, and alchemists... and maybe even some event merchants. The weight of the item being stolen could be used to calculate the difficulty and a failure would get you arrested. It would give the skill some practical use so long as the thresholds were set reasonably.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Theft! 01/30/2013 06:50 PM CST

DR's Theft Mechanics > Gemstone's.

I'll leave it at that, Starchitin however is pretty spot on with how DR's stealing system works. And well, it's pretty damn amazing at that, especially being able to literally go to an area built for theft, to steal stuff from it.

If people here who love stealing have never heard of DR's Museum, and Theft system in general, I strongly suggest you read about it.
Re: Theft! 01/31/2013 09:30 AM CST
I think it should be possible to steal from critters. Sure it is easier to just kill and loot, but maybe adding a little EXP to stealing from critters and a different loot table for those thefts?

~James
Player of Septimius
Re: Theft! 02/06/2013 06:34 AM CST
>I think this makes pickpocketing much more challenging than just sitting somewhere everyone gathers. Get creative to find your Marks.

Unfortunately the system design tells us as thieves differently. We gain an advantage in crowds only, low population and earth nodes dictate where we as players rest. Stealing in a one on one situation is essentially playing russian roulette.

Mark/Leash
Re: Theft! 02/06/2013 07:02 AM CST
<Unfortunately the system design tells us as thieves differently. We gain an advantage in crowds only, low population and earth nodes dictate where we as players rest.>

There's always merchants and special events where folk often are gathered in areas other then sanctuaries and it's been a LONG time since I've seen a merchant do anything to prevent thieving beyond sending a bolt of lightning at any thieves that targeted the merchant...

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Theft! 02/06/2013 09:09 AM CST
Stealing at merchants usually feels to close to griefing for me... Your milage may vary.
Re: Theft! 02/07/2013 12:49 AM CST
Depends on how you RP it, led to an RPA for me once.

Starchitin

Re: Theft! 02/07/2013 04:16 AM CST
Interesting. I've never liked pickpocketing--I have three rogues, and none has a single rank in it--but whenever the skill is debated on these boards, the argument is always, "It's not about stealing. It can lead to great RP interaction." But now I see "Stealing in a one on one situation is essentially playing russian roulette," which implies that the goal is to get away with as much as possible and not to get caught. Great RP interaction. So which is it? If pickpocketing is about creating RP, then the increased likelihood of getting caught should not be an issue. If it is about just taking from others, then admit that and stop pretending it is about RP.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Theft! 02/07/2013 06:22 AM CST
<So which is it? If pickpocketing is about creating RP, then the increased likelihood of getting caught should not be an issue. If it is about just taking from others, then admit that and stop pretending it is about RP.>

It's both... or at least it is for me in the rare occasion I indulge in it.

The way I play my little gnome, half the folk that meet him assume he pickpockets anyway when the fact is that, other then the occasional teasing pull from a friend's pocket, a year or more can go by between fishing excursions. However, when I do go picking pockets, I don't make any special efforts to hide what I'm doing other then being in a crowded room (he doesn't even know the guild skills for putting away items without others seeing it). Honestly, if you don't catch the gnome from nonmechanical clues, it's no one's fault but your own you didn't pick up on the fact he just put ten gems, four wands, and a black crystal in his cloak and half a dozen herbs on the bench, but never picked any of them up.

If I get caught, I want it to be because people picked up on clues like that or from triggering a thief trap, not because someone suddenly turns and grabs his hand... the later generally just leads to swords being drawn, spells being flung, or the mark pressing charges most of the time, and THAT kills any potential RP faster then PP mechanics ever have.

Regardless of how he gets caught, though, he'll never admit it. Someone will be accused of gnome abuse or prejudice against gnomes (or both), there'll be a lot of grumbling and whining about the unfairness of it all from the gnome, and somebody will prolly get their boots peed on. Most importantly, I'll get whispers from several folk, including the accuser, about how they're having trouble typing from laughing too hard.

Starchitin

Re: Theft! 02/07/2013 09:42 AM CST
I don't think that those motivations are mutually exclusive, nor should we be barred from weighing those motivations differently in different situations.
Re: Theft! 02/08/2013 01:30 AM CST
>which implies that the goal is to get away with as much as possible and not to get caught.

The name of the skill is called "pickpocketing", not "blatantly stealing from someone". My roleplay is based on your reaction, but yes I do play a generally greedy selfish character who is trying to get the most profit without being caught.

You sure got us there.

Mark/Leash
Re: Theft! 02/08/2013 01:21 PM CST
If a rogue wants to pickpocket in crowds. Let the rogue be a rogue, because I personally would pick a pocket in a crowd. I wouldn't steal one on one, but rogues get bonuses for crowds. I'm a warrior but I believe it should be the players ability if he/she wants. It shouldn't be dictated because of whining.

Easy cure = close containers

~Player of Orsu~
Re: Theft! 02/08/2013 02:21 PM CST
Honestly, pickpocketing should be removed from the game in its current form. It has no role-play ability in a game supposedly frowning on PvP interaction. At least forced player vs. player anyways. My experience with pick-pockets is it always leads to swords being drawn, spells being cast, and/or folks reporting you to the authorities. That is the standard role-play action for catching a thief. What else would you expect people to do when you attempt to steal from them?

Now if it was decided to implement it as an action that can be performed on a creature... that I can understand. Otherwise, stealing from players is essentially a PvP action.

I recently caught a thief trying to steal from me in the graveyard on another lowbie character. All the interaction that was involved was him immediately after the attempt moved on an was quickly gone from the area. I didn't even have time to say a thing, and he didn't stick around to role-play his actions. That was just blatant stealing, even though he failed. He tried to snatch a herb from my pouch, as I always leave my herb pouches open wile hunting so I do not have to fumble around opening my container in case of an emergency. But then again if a thief tries to steal my herbs, I suppose the joke is on him.

That being said, of the times when I feel particularly evil I do pull out my pick-pocket rogue and have fun trying to get away it, but usually bores me after 2-3 minutes or quickly turns into a confrontation when I inevitably get caught in the act, or a manhunt ensues of which I am forced to hide and flee for my life. But I cannot help but think I had just caused some unpleasantness to more than one or 2 people in the process. Naturally, I almost never do this, and it has been years since I have dabbled in thievery.

And yes, keep your containers closed and visit the bank often to deposit loose change.

--Zizzle
Re: Theft! 02/08/2013 03:22 PM CST
<That being said, of the times when I feel particularly evil I do pull out my pick-pocket rogue and have fun trying to get away it, but usually bores me after 2-3 minutes or quickly turns into a confrontation when I inevitably get caught in the act, or a manhunt ensues of which I am forced to hide and flee for my life. But I cannot help but think I had just caused some unpleasantness to more than one or 2 people in the process. Naturally, I almost never do this, and it has been years since I have dabbled in thievery.>

So... you have basically the same response to getting caught that you complained about the thief in the graveyard of having?

If yer looking for RP, don't run. Stand your ground and smile innocently or loudly proclaim your innocence, claim you were trying to feel them up, accuse them of stealing from you then framing you to keep others from suspecting them, or tell them they dropped it and you were just trying to put it back. Sure, pop into the shadows to keep them from attacking you, but keep responding from the shadows as appropriate and pop out into the open occasionally. Heck, if you weren't caught mechanically, keep stealing from them while accusing them of being prejudiced against your race, religion, gender, whatever. Steal from anyone that doesn't side with you too. If they refuse to stop slandering your "good" name, pee on their boots or toss a snowball at their face. If the RP calls for it and your character can't talk their way out of it, let them kill you... it's only a deed and, depending on the circumstances, they'll likely be getting themselves arrested for their trouble.

On the flip side, if you've caught a thief or suspect someone of thieving, don't immediately pull out a blade, prepare a spell, or run to the constable, give them a good hard glare or accuse them of thieving and give them a chance to try to RP it out. You can't expect someone to RP being a thief if you immediately kill them and exit the room or they're sitting in a jail cell. Demand your item back, play with what they give you... you don't have to ACCUSE them right away, if they fail to RP it after 5, 10, or 20 minutes you can still go accuse them.

Both players have to be willing to at least put fourth the effort to RP to allow it to happen, you can't refuse to participate when you're on one end then complain when when the roles are reversed and the other person does the same thing you did.

Starchitin

Re: Theft! 02/08/2013 05:04 PM CST
Two of my favorite interactions were actually started by someone picking my pocket. In one case, I handed the thief the last gem in my pocket and said, "Here, you missed one!" In the other, I spoke to him in our shared racial language and scolded him for stealing from his kin (and he paid me back double what he stole!). In both cases, I left having had a positive experience, and I think the thieves did too.

So, I definitely agree with Star here on giving the RP the chance to occur, rather than immediately resorting to violence. I can understand the visceral reaction to discovering you're a mark though! But since thievery boils down to a few thousand silvers (per mark! I understand pickpocketing can bring in a tidy sum after a crowd has been picked clean), I manage to remind myself to have fun with it.

/seo, halfway expecting to suddenly become a common mark.../
Re: Theft! 02/11/2013 03:17 PM CST
So... you have basically the same response to getting caught that you complained about the thief in the graveyard of having?

No. That is not what I said. I said, that a thief attempted to steal, and I mechanically caught him, and he didn't pause for a single second to interact with me otherwise. He didn't role-play anything here, whereas I was fully prepared to do so. And no, I didn't mean pulling out blades, or casting a spell. I was hunting and more focused on that than worrying about a pick-pocket stealing acantha leaf from me. Personally I chuckled to myself and said oh well and continued my hunt. The thief in question never revealed (role-played) himself after the theft attempt, nor was he in the immediate area where I was hunting anymore.

He just passed through, tried to steal and moved on, without a single word. Not sure if that is really role-playing at all.

Secondly, it has been a really long time since I bothered pulling out my pick-pocket, but when I did, I wouldn't exactly run away either. Well, until the spells and swords started raining down on his head... but nevertheless, I would play the hide, and call out names, taunts and whatnot role of him. He has a decidedly nasty evil bent to him, and thus usually provoked people to attack him. He got secret pleasure out of vigilante justice, both ways...

But that is not exactly the same situation of the same thing. On one angle you have a thief instigating a confrontation with another player. In a sense it is just the same as pulling out the blades and attacking, or casting an offensive spell at a non-provoking player. Picking pockets IS an unprovoked attack of sorts on another player. He no more asked to have his pockets picked clean, than to have his head shaved just above the shoulders. It is forced confrontation between players, like I said before the usual reaction to stealing thieves is to chop off fingers, hands or be put to sleep for all to laugh at.

The problem is the pick-pocket has all the justice protecting him, because if anybody does any of those things while in town they AUTOMATICALLY get hit with quite the fine, but the pick-pocket gets nothing until someone takes action against him. Unfortunately the only actions that doesn't penalize the victim in the process is to ACCUSE, or CHALLENGE the pick-pocket.

The key here is that BOTH must be willing to participate, but as you can see in my example the instigator had no desire to role-play, and the victim didn't exactly advertise, HEY STEAL FROM ME PLEASE! So in that sense neither was role-playing at all, and neither one or the other desired to pursue it. I didn't even accuse him when in town, just gave a warning in TSC that a thief was about.

>shrug

Come to think of it I might just have to pull that evil rogue out after all...

--Zizzle
Re: Theft! 02/11/2013 05:49 PM CST
>>He just passed through, tried to steal and moved on, without a single word. Not sure if that is really role-playing at all.<<

Of course it is. If someone picks your pocket in the street in RL, do they stop to chat with you about it? Heck no! They leave the premises asap. In point of fact, the in-game pickpocket skill does NOT lead to any roleplay if both characters are being realistic. In RL, either the thief gets away clean, or, if he is detected, will run off and/or attack his victim physically in an attempt to escape apprehension. Gemstone RP should have the same responses if we are going to be true to life.

The pickpocket skill should really be eliminated altogether. It serves no useful purpose except to encourage PvP.

"If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying hard enough."