Hunting w/ 25 ranks of Religion! 09/06/2010 11:12 PM CDT
Friends,

My pally now has 25 ranks of Religion, and it about to hunt (pretty much for the first time), with OFFENSIVE spells.

I have been using DEFENSIVE spells, and then hunted like a warrior (albeit, a holy warrior).

Need some general advise on using 1614, 1615, 1617 and 1630. Looks like I'll now be casting 1612 with my spell up before I leave town (Teras).

What's everyone's favorite hunting strategy for a pally and offensive spells?

Thanks,
-Ulaahn/Cuttak
-LizardClan
AIM: LizardClan1
Re: Hunting w/ 25 ranks of Religion! 09/06/2010 11:53 PM CDT
I wouldn't bother trying to stack more than 1-2 casts of 1612 at a time. The cost/duration is silly.

Aura of the Arkati (1614) is.. OK. I generally reserve it for swarms over 5 or invasions. It just doesn't do all that much for me.

Zealot (1617) isn't really an offensive spell.

Divine Strike and Judgement are really the only hunting staples worth casting.

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: Hunting w/ 25 ranks of Religion! 09/07/2010 12:47 PM CDT
What's everyone's favorite hunting strategy for a pally and offensive spells?

Thanks,

I don't use 1615, I think it's a waste of mana. I'd rather use a cman on a single target. It's usually more effective and doesn't chew up my mana supply.

In a swarm I'll use 1630 and 1614. Usually in that order, but I usually only bother if there's 3+ creatures.

Dgry
Re: Hunting w/ 25 ranks of Religion! 09/07/2010 12:52 PM CDT
Single Critter:

Step 1 - 1615
Step 2 - Feint (If critter is already in offensive stance, proceed directly to Step 3)
Step 3 - Kill and/or focus m-strike
Step 4 - Search your kill and proceed again to Step 1.

Multiple Critters:
Step 1 - 1614 (Not always necessary, just slows them down some)
Step 2 - 1630
Step 3 - M-strike (After feinting a few if necessary.)

Rinse, repeat.

Also keep in mind, 10 summoning ranks gets you a 4th strike from 1630. This is very nice for warcamps.
Re: Hunting w/ 25 ranks of Religion! 09/07/2010 01:02 PM CDT
I play very caster based, but only started this since we got out fixskills in May and specifically for hunting the Bowels.

I needed to be able to keep Illoke Elders and Jarls on thier knees or else I wasn't surviving the Bowels very well at all.

This means I am only 1x CMAN right now. But I have closer 60 ranks in the paladin circle to boost my CS. Is it mana intensive? Quite, but at lvl 90 I can manage where at lower lvls I might not have and I only 1x harness power.

If you can feint and take something down by yourself without needing 1615 then great. Try to use it mostly for CC. 1615 the critter that runs in while you're busy with something else so it doesn't have a chance to wail on you.

The bowels love to swarm you every time you, and thus the extra CC became necessary for me.
Re: Hunting w/ 25 ranks of Religion! 09/07/2010 04:02 PM CDT
I mostly just 1615 and then ambush the heads. I sometimes feint or charge if it is an adept or seer with WOF/shields up. I do not bother casting at griffins, just ambush right off. I used to Cman alot more, but now I have the mana to burn and 1615 is faster with a decent chance to instant kill.
Re: Hunting w/ 25 ranks of Religion! 09/07/2010 05:33 PM CDT
I use the 1615/30 like it's going out of style.

1615 + ambush head
CMAN Feint + ambush head

And you know, sometimes I just don't feel like swinging my weapon. It's big. And I'm lazy.

~Mikoguchi Chydenar; Jackal Corps

<<Auchand whispers, "That's the fifth moon, kthx."

<<You bury your face in your hands.
Re: Hunting w/ 25 ranks of Religion! 09/08/2010 05:27 AM CDT
Friends,

Seems everyone does it a little differently: 1614/1615/1630/feint/mstrike/ambush head.

I 1x CM, but haven't trained any combat manuevers yet. I hear feint over and over again, so maybe it's time to commit.

I don't have any mstrike yet (neither focused, nor unfocused). I was just barely able to afford 25 ranks of Religion last train (33rd train).

I swing a maul, so I'm not sure how well I'd be able to ambush head with only 1x CM, and zero (0) ranks of ambush.

When it's time for me to hunt again (Friday -- I only hunt with the gift of Lumnis), I'll experiment with 1614, 1615, and 1630.

I'll be training next for mstrike (at least 5 ranks), full plate (currently in mbp), and more Spiritual Lore (not Religion).

I have 33 ranks in Paladin Spells; waiting for my 35th train, and BESEECH.

All the best,
-Cuttak/Ulaahn
-LizardClan
Re: Hunting w/ 25 ranks of Religion! 09/09/2010 12:04 AM CDT
The main thing too to remember is to focus and not panic if you get swarmed. A paladin is well designed to handle many at once and being grouped is even better.. and with an empath geared enough to tag along - you're almost unstoppable at that point (let's face it.. if the empath gets a deathblow by a boulder or you get crushed with a lucky crit,it's over).

I, myself, never learned faint. Usually I tend to use 1614 and 1630 only where there's 3 plus baddies in the same room. With my bonded weapon, I store 1615. Depending on the critter, I may or may not decide to cast 1615 right away at them with the logic if I can hit them with my trustworthy katana, then why waste the mana?

Mstrikign: Be careful when using it. 9 seconds is still a lot of time, and if soloing I would only do it after my round of 1614/1630 is pulled off and not before - especially when fighting those that can also do focused mstrikes on me. Heavy padded plate still wont stop you from getting nicked to pieces, plus what if you are attacking bandits or some other baddie that can do manuevers to give you more RT? It's really situational and a judgement call on when it's "safe" to use an mstrike and what type to do.

I wish I could give you the opinion of what to get in the lower levels, but I was a cleric and only crossed over at 60 someodd trains thus my spells and training were already well defined. I will say this though: It only gets better with time.
Re: Hunting w/ 25 ranks of Religion! 09/09/2010 04:04 AM CDT
>The main thing too to remember is to focus and not panic if you get swarmed. A paladin is well designed to handle many at once and being grouped is even better.. and with an empath geared enough to tag along - you're almost unstoppable at that point (let's face it.. if the empath gets a deathblow by a boulder or you get crushed with a lucky crit,it's over).
FALAN

A few comments on this statement..

I disagree with 'well designed'.
Just about any profession is unstoppable grouped up with an empath.
Saying 'it's over' (when the grouped up empath dies) doesn't speak to paladins being 'designed well' for swarms either.

>I, myself, never learned faint.

I think this is a skill that you're missing out on. Especially at the higher levels where you encounter turtled creatures (many spellcaster types) it becomes pretty damn important. Out of curiosity, what are you spending your CMan points on and why don't you think Feint is worth the learning?

>With my bonded weapon, I store 1615. Depending on the critter, I may or may not decide to cast 1615 right away at them with the logic if I can hit them with my trustworthy katana, then why waste the mana?

This doesn't make sense to me. If you store 1615 in your weapon, you have no control over when it activates (and takes away mana). Yet you make a point of saying you don't want to waste the mana to cast if you can hit it. Did I miss something (in my early morning reading with my lack of sleep/coffee and ingestion of pain tabs)?

>Mstriking: Be careful when using it. 9 seconds is still a lot of time, and if soloing I would only do it after my round of 1614/1630 is pulled off and not before

I will agree that careful use is necessary. However, I think Mstrike is less situational than that. Generally when I hunt (lol) if a swarm is present (3+ critters) I try to incapacitate one creature at at time, be it feint, 1614 or a leg ambush. If I can get two of the three into status effect (RT lock, legged, kneeling) it's usually safe to Mstrike (for me). And I have enough MoC to unfocus strike for three targets. Other times, I know that the particular creature(s) I'm hunting can do little damage that I don't even need to bother stunning any and simply rip of an Mstrike right off the bat.

>Heavy padded plate still wont stop you from getting nicked to pieces

That's the beauty of our Rejuvenation (1607) spell. Even in it's lesser (nerfed) state it can still be very helpful for those plinking situations.

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: Hunting w/ 25 ranks of Religion! 09/09/2010 12:50 PM CDT
I pity the fool who doesn't learn Feint.

~Mikoguchi Chydenar; Jackal Corps

<<Auchand whispers, "That's the fifth moon, kthx."

<<You bury your face in your hands.
Re: Hunting w/ 25 ranks of Religion! 09/10/2010 06:31 AM CDT
<<I pity the fool who doesn't learn Feint.>>

How many ranks of cman feint should i learn? At 33 trains and 1x CM, I have 34 maneuver points.

I can immediately train to four (4) ranks. Eventually, should I aim for a full five (5) ranks of feint?

Thanks,
-Cuttak/Ulaahn
-LizardClan
Re: Hunting w/ 25 ranks of Religion! 09/10/2010 07:30 AM CDT

I can immediately train to four (4) ranks. Eventually, should I aim for a full five (5) ranks of feint?

Four ranks is acceptable. At your level you could probably make do with less ranks if you need the points, but I prefer to max it out. Eventually I'd go for the full 5, I think it's mostly a matter of personal preference as there's not a huge noticeable difference between rank 4 and 5 in most cmans. My preference is to max out feint - I don't like failing with it (I count low success rolls as failing).

Dgry
Re: Hunting w/ 25 ranks of Religion! 09/10/2010 02:56 PM CDT
Okay, I'll learn some feint. Question...

Can you do cman feint from stance defensive, or do you have to go stance offensive for it to be effective?

Thanks,
-Cuttak/Ulaahn
-LizardClan
Re: Hunting w/ 25 ranks of Religion! 09/10/2010 03:01 PM CDT
Can you do cman feint from stance defensive, or do you have to go stance offensive for it to be effective?

Thanks,
-Cuttak/Ulaahn
-LizardClan

All cmans can be used from defensive, but they're far more effective when used in offense. The beauty of feint is that it's generally an effective opener on turtled creatures. So you don't have to stand around in defensive before opening up. I have a macro set up to change stance and immediately feint.

Dgry
Re: Hunting w/ 25 ranks of Religion! 09/10/2010 07:07 PM CDT
<< All cmans can be used from defensive, but they're far more effective when used in offense. The beauty of feint is that it's generally an effective opener on turtled creatures. So you don't have to stand around in defensive before opening up. I have a macro set up to change stance and immediately feint.

As an aside, just FYI, Dirtkick is one of the very few CMAN's that is fully effective from any stance. So doing it from defensive stance is just as useful as doing it from offensive.

More info: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Dirtkick

-Adam

"You guys took all the pretty places." ~Anonymous
Re: Hunting w/ 25 ranks of Religion! 09/11/2010 03:24 AM CDT
Feint used to stack effects and work from defensive, but it was changed. ::sadface::
Re: Hunting w/ 25 ranks of Religion! 09/11/2010 12:35 PM CDT
I've used feint for years, its never been that effective from defensive but it did used to stack which I do miss from time to time.