Prev_page Previous 1
Ow! Ow, ow! 07/07/2009 09:33 AM CDT
So, I moved my paly out to the Nations the other day, did some hunting of the arch wights, and the agresh troll chieftans. Things went pretty well for the most part. The exp was slow coming since they are all lower level than I am at 23, but it was interesting (except for boil earth: how I hate thee). I did hit 24 last night, and made a good dent into the level, so that made me happy. I also realized I left the landing without completing the task for my next Voln step like an idiot, and I can't do the comparable one here, so I have to make a trip back, but that's a whole other topic.

In between I was getting tasks from the Adventures guild and one of them I got was for a grizzly Centaur Ranger. Wowee, nevermind the grizzly, I never saw him. The regular rangers were tearing me up into little pieces for dinner. I'm a sword/board paladin, and their arrows were still ripping right into me. I'm sure it was partially because of their casting sounds (never got weeded). My feint didn't work often as my bonus was very low, maybe a +20-25 from my roll, it's only at rank 2 now but I'm converting points to increase it. It seems like even in defense, their arrows were still getting through to me. After getting shot in the chest and then swarmed with basilisks and other centaur, I got sent to the temple, and decided to end my hunting for the evening.

So, after all that, here's the question: what's the best way to fight ranged mobs? Avoid them? It just seems like another level of nasty, should I just wait till feint is more reliable and then stick them in perptual RT?

Appoloin
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/07/2009 10:28 AM CDT
Well, at least your Paladin still mostly works...
[http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/1/24/]
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/07/2009 12:26 PM CDT
Haha! Love that skit. Of course, the current state of Paladins in that game last I heard was that they wrecked face.

Can you say: [http://shadowwar.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/see-saw1.jpg]

Appoloin
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/07/2009 06:36 PM CDT
Tower Shield + Divine shield (+ DS spells) is your only option.

I'd stay away from swarms and try to stick to one on one.

-farmer

Maleenor says, "And sent by my people to be a beacon of light..."
Fanahn raspily asks, "Bacon from where?"

Let's fight!

http://farmervivaldi3.1.mybrute.com
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/07/2009 10:31 PM CDT
I guess I should invest in a tower shield, since I have zero training. I just HATE the look of a tower shield. I prefer the image of a kite shield, more "knightly".

Appoloin
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/07/2009 10:36 PM CDT
>I'm a sword/board paladin, and their arrows were still ripping right into me.

>I guess I should invest in a tower shield, since I have zero training.

You're sword/board with zero shield training? That would be your biggest problem right there...

-farmer

Maleenor says, "And sent by my people to be a beacon of light..."
Fanahn raspily asks, "Bacon from where?"

Let's fight!

http://farmervivaldi3.1.mybrute.com
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/07/2009 10:40 PM CDT
Darn typos, zero dodge training ;) I'm 2x shields.

Appoloin
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/08/2009 05:41 PM CDT
it always shocks me that everyone over looks the one place a paladin excels over all other professions. Attack strength any one?

you might be able to pull of the first shot and stun them. This will make then easier to feint as well. Either way the DS is gonna drop, try an open aim for a leg. Putting them on the ground is always a good thing.

just my thoughts
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/08/2009 06:19 PM CDT
I love the AS I can muster. Definitely a strong selling point of the class.
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/08/2009 08:25 PM CDT
Two bad we don't apply our awesome AS as well as other semis. I think bard's can actually achieve the same levels of AS though.
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/08/2009 08:50 PM CDT
Bards have a Max AS of +50 through 425 and Kais with a +32. So +82 total. But it takes 75 Ranks in MnE and for 425 to max out and 102 ranks of Telepathy lore (we can only single so I dont know how we get that many.)

As a practical application most bards with have about 56 57 ranks of MnE and depending on how much they like 1030 less than 102 ranks of Telepathy.

Our biggest problem comes in the doubling of CM. Which is at 24/12. Much like Paladins we sacrifice much of our Secondary and Tertiary skills in AS pursuit. Unlike paladins we have an amazing first strike song like 1008 or 1005. 1005 bar none is my most powerful song it makes Charge obsolete. Of course that will change to Rage when I hunt undead.

I would love for Paladins to get something that makes a target kneel in a prone state for a certain length of time. for 5-15 mana. Lets call it Supplicant's Charge.

GBB
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/08/2009 10:01 PM CDT
Bards Also have song of tonis which pretty much trumps anything paladins bring to the table.
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/08/2009 10:44 PM CDT
>>Darn typos, zero dodge training ;) I'm 2x shields. -- Appoloin

Get the tower shield ASAP and you should be fine. I don't have a single dodge rank to my name either, and I'm a fan of not having any with this build.

~ The girl behind Debia

Buy my stuff!
Wehnimer's Landing: www.playershops.com/Debia
Ta’Illistim: www.playershops.com/Elysiana
Ta’Illistim gems and talons: www.playershops.com/Bolissia
River's Rest: www.playershops.com/Katalinah
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/09/2009 05:04 AM CDT
Wait! Wait!
"it always shocks me...."

Shock is shocked? Uh is that one of those oxymoron thingies, or is it irony or sarcasm? <wink>

I agree about the AS benefit. I don't think I've ever had so much fun as I do with my Paladin. And having critters and an occasional man kneel at her feet? Very rewarding...

"What we see depends largely on what we're looking for"
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/09/2009 07:46 AM CDT
AS isn't the problem. Nor is getting their DS down since I swapped sbash out for feint. Also, knocking something down on an open ambush with a broadsword isn't always the most easily accomplished thing in the world. Don't know how long it's been for you, but at level 24, it's still not a given that I'll find an opening, and it's only slightly more likely that I'll hit what I'm aiming for. I'm sure I could be more accurate at aiming/hitting if I changed up my training, but I'm not going to stop 3x'ing my armor until I'm in fullplate.

That said, switching to the tower shield has done wonders, and let me actually hunt these critters.

Appoloin
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/09/2009 08:45 AM CDT
"I'm sure I could be more accurate at aiming/hitting if I changed up my training, but I'm not going to stop 3x'ing my armor until I'm in fullplate." -- Appoloin

Note that the bulkier armors probably make it harder for you to hit your target area while you're wearing them, so I would have to say that changing up your training would definitely have an effect on your accuracy.
This again falls back on the "best defense is a good offense" strategy: you're training for heavy armor to be able to survive areas, whereas if you could accurately and dependably put things on the floor or disabled you might not need the heavier armor that soon.

I'm not saying your path is WRONG, I'm just pointing out a different viewpoint that you may not have considered. :)
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/09/2009 09:26 AM CDT
This again falls back on the "best defense is a good offense" strategy: you're training for heavy armor to be able to survive areas, whereas if you could accurately and dependably put things on the floor or disabled you might not need the heavier armor that soon.

--

Yeah, it's to bad a reliable way to knock down multiple mobs that will actually keep them down for a reasonable time is out of the question for paladins.
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/09/2009 09:44 AM CDT
Perhaps adding an element of MOC to something like CMan Tackle or CMan FootSweep, where instead of targetting just one target you instead do a flying roll across their shins and try to take down multiples at once?
(Oh, come on, stop groaning: we've all seen the various ChopSocky movies where someone does this and knocks down a whole row of guys like tenpins....)
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/09/2009 09:56 AM CDT
I would love to be able to apply MOC to my 5 ranks of sbash (which I love with my eonake shield), for exactly that reason, Robert.

Think of the flares one could ignite... I actually seem to kill things more with my shield flares than with my bonded blade's flares.
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/09/2009 10:00 AM CDT
Remember that flares don't trigger on death crits, so if you either a) dish out a ton of damage or b) regularly aim your shots at a lethal area [and connect] then you could very well be doing yourself out of flares.
Flares--especially Bardic and Paladin double-flarey goodness--are best on small fast weapons [preferably with Haste or Song of Tonis or MStrike] with sucky DFs so you are relying on the flare damage/effect to kill them, not the weapon itself.
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/09/2009 10:42 AM CDT
I had no idea heavier armors had an affect upon my ability to aim. I though it was based only on level/training in whatever factors your aiming situation fell under (ranged/open/hidden). That does affect the way I view my training plan. I may just fall back to 2x once I hit MBP then. Are there any hard numbers on how much training it takes to overcome the deficit applied by heavier armor?

Appoloin
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/09/2009 10:51 AM CDT
I'm sure that aiming counts as a maneuver attempt; all armors have a maneuver penalty (though it may be "0", such as for robes/clothing); heavier armors have significantly more.

This is entirely testable on your part (though it would be much easier if the d100 roll for aimed swings was visible to us [hint to GMs]).
Take the hardest weapon you can aim with (I think "damage-weighted lance" is it; and
aim for the hardest target you can (like one of the eyes); while
wearing three different kinds of armor: a) armor for which you are way overtrained (like robes, which should have no penalty), b) armor for which you are exactly trained (such as brigandine), and c) armor for which you are way undertrained (like full plate).
Make several hundred attacks (in each armor) to provide identical sample sizes.
See how often you hit in each.
Report results to us.
(Note that this provides an excellent opportunity to refute something that Krakii has said, so some people will jump on this with like all five feet. :)

(Hint: being a (either that or knowing a friendly) Haste-casting Mage will definitely enhance the speed with which this research is done.)
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/09/2009 10:54 AM CDT
Info is here. Looks like you can disregard what I just said about weighted weapons, since that appears to have been updated in July of last year.
[http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Ambush_saved_post]

"Are there any hard numbers on how much training it takes to overcome the deficit applied by heavier armor?" -- Appoloin

Look at the fourth (4th) column of the skill-rank chart.
[http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Armor_Use]
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/09/2009 11:13 AM CDT
In reference to being a tester, and a chance to refute the all-knowing Krakii, I do have a couple of procedural questions then.

1) Does the level of the mob matter? Or, for safetys sake, can I give this a go on roltons?
2) Does skill with the weapon matter? I'm a OHE kind of guy on my paladin, lance, not so much.
3) Any Wizards want to help out in this? I'm in the Nations, but can always make the trip back to the Landing/Haven/Icemule area fairly easily.

Appoloin
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/09/2009 11:19 AM CDT
As long as you're using the same weapon, you should be fine.
I was suggesting to use the most difficult one on the hardest target, but hell, you might not be able to tell the difference from the armor. :)
On the other hand, using the easiest weapon (like a Dagger, or a Brawling weapon) on the easiest targets (one of the legs, I think) you might not see any difference from armor, either: if your aiming skills are high enough, you might never be able to miss. (Or, of course, armor might make no difference... hence the testing.)

<shrug>

The biggest point is to always use the same weapon and always aim for the same spot, always on the same critters. (Don't get "grizzled" or whatever beasties involved, in other words.)
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/09/2009 12:50 PM CDT
Fair enough, I'll hunt down a lance and go after some lowish level creatures tonight. I've never kept logs, so I'll figure that out tonight as well. Or I can just keep notes of how often I do one of the possabilities. (Fail to find an opening, fail to hit my target, hit my target).

Appoloin
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/09/2009 05:13 PM CDT
This is arguable as I have NO PROOF. But someone on the warriors boards once pointed out that he got a few ranks of Ambush even though he open aims. Claimed that since he did that he no longer gets the "you fail to find an opening". Does not always hit where he aims, but at least he swings. I picked up 2 ranks of ambush and I must say I never fail to find an opening. Have 40 ranks of Perception. So might be something to it.

just my thoughts
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/09/2009 08:19 PM CDT
You can eventually train that off however. Alot of paladins cannot afford 2x cm so the points (1 ambush rank ~= 4 cm ranks for open ambush) are much better spent on CM. You won't find many paladins (if any) with ambush pre-cap. This is one of the major problems I have with paladins. We're by far the most TP strapped profession.
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/10/2009 09:02 AM CDT
"This is arguable as I have NO PROOF. But someone on the warriors boards once pointed out that he got a few ranks of Ambush even though he open aims. Claimed that since he did that he no longer gets the "you fail to find an opening". Does not always hit where he aims, but at least he swings. I picked up 2 ranks of ambush and I must say I never fail to find an opening. Have 40 ranks of Perception. So might be something to it." -- Shock51

Short answer: [http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Ambush_saved_post]
Note specifically bullet point #6 in Cyper's original description.
Note also Ildran's clarification of a year ago.
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/10/2009 10:12 AM CDT
I could have sworn i saw somewhere that it was (CMskill + AmbushSkill * .25) when aiming from the open.
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/10/2009 10:17 AM CDT
"I could have sworn i saw somewhere that it was (CMskill + AmbushSkill * .25) when aiming from the open." -- Jessaril

<blink>

Could it have been, ohhh... I don't know, possibly the sixth bullet point in Cyper's original post, to which I specifically referred?
"Skill for melee aiming is one quarter ambush plus one quarter combat maneuvers." -- bullet point #6
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/10/2009 10:27 AM CDT
Nope the sixth bullet says:

Skill for melee aiming is one quarter ambush plus one quarter combat maneuvers.

As I was saying, I could have sworn CM is much more valuable for opening aiming then ambush is.
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/10/2009 10:33 AM CDT
Ah; I mis-read your notation of (CM + Am*.25) with the parentheses in the wrong place "(CM+Am)*.25".
So disregard the snarky response.

However, instead, here I think you're just wrong.
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/10/2009 11:23 AM CDT
ok you two help out the formulation deprived one here.

Does the 2 ranks of ambush do anything for me? or would I be better off scrapping them and picking up more MOC?

just my thoughts
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/10/2009 01:27 PM CDT
MOC does nothing for aimed swings. :)

In the worst possible case, singling in both CM and Ambush is better than doubling CM simply because of the training point savings.
The reason this would be "worst" case is if the calculation were done on number of ranks.

Best case, the calculation is based on skill...
...In which you do even better by singling in both, because you get the extremely cost-effective 5/rank skills first. (That is to say, 10 ranks of each of two skills == 50 + 50 == 100 skill, whereas 20 ranks of one skill--in addition to costing more, see my first point--instead equals on 90 skill.)

Now.
Because CM skill also gives CMan points for use in that list of abilities, "more is better" in this regard.
But if you're not so worried about doing CMans and instead want highly accurate swings, single both.
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/10/2009 01:59 PM CDT
I have the good fortune in this case of being a primarily physical paladin. SO

I all ready fully train in CM. MoC has suffered a bit, but is slowly being raised to 1x along with dodge. Should be interesting to see what happens in another 8 to 10 levels.

Thanks for the insight

just my thoughts
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/10/2009 03:23 PM CDT
What did you sacrifice to 3x armor and 2x cm? Spell ranks?
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/11/2009 02:43 AM CDT
>>>ok you two help out the formulation deprived one here.

>>>Does the 2 ranks of ambush do anything for me? or would I be better off scrapping them and picking up more MOC?

Your two ranks in Ambush equate to 10 skill, which when divided by four gives you a 2# bonus to your open aiming.

TP wise, unless you are exceeding 1x in Combat Maneuvers, it is a virtual wash, as one is 5 4 and the other is 4 5 for TPs. If you are more than 1Xing CM, however, you might find it nice to squeeze in a few ranks of Ambush whne you can.

Eight Ranks of Ambush is 40 skill, which is about a 10% boost to open aiming.

Once you find you hit where you aim quite a bit, you can unlearn the ambush skill slowly and put those TPs elsewhere.

Just an option.
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/11/2009 02:51 PM CDT
well then

Guess Im going to drop 2 ranks of ambush

thank you

just my thoughts
Re: Ow! Ow, ow! 07/11/2009 09:30 PM CDT
I've recently picked up ~10 ranks of ambush at level 58, and it has provided a noticeable increase in aim accuracy. TP-wise, it is a much smaller investment than what training CM costs (I'm past 1x.)

On the topic of aiming in general, I solo cleared my first warcamp the other day after fixskilling to a mace open-aim build. Prior to that, with a 5x perfect maul and a penchant towards MS, it was pretty futile. After the initial learning curve, this is the most fun I've had with my pally.
Prev_page Previous 1