Hunting at 23-24 07/01/2009 08:41 PM CDT
So...getting fried has been a giant PITA lately. I seem to be having a real hard time finding anything to reliably hunt and kill. I'm OHE / Shield build, with shield bash for my main CM. The biggest problem I seem to be running into is that the creatures I'm trying to kill are very VERY good at turtling up.

Fenghai and Ogre Warriors are the ones I've seemed to have the best luck at, but even those little furballs are terrible. Getting a 10 round stun on an end-roll of 104 makes me angry ;) Anyone have any good suggestions on something to kill that won't take me forever to get through some stupid high DS.

My AS right now sits at 242 IIRC.

Appoloin
Re: Hunting at 23-24 07/01/2009 09:00 PM CDT
So...getting fried has been a giant PITA lately. I seem to be having a real hard time finding anything to reliably hunt and kill. I'm OHE / Shield build, with shield bash for my main CM. The biggest problem I seem to be running into is that the creatures I'm trying to kill are very VERY good at turtling up.

Fenghai and Ogre Warriors are the ones I've seemed to have the best luck at, but even those little furballs are terrible. Getting a 10 round stun on an end-roll of 104 makes me angry ;) Anyone have any good suggestions on something to kill that won't take me forever to get through some stupid high DS.

My AS right now sits at 242 IIRC.

Appoloin

My information on that range is nearly a decade old but zombies were always my choice.

Dgry
Re: Hunting at 23-24 07/01/2009 09:14 PM CDT
<<The biggest problem I seem to be running into is that the creatures I'm trying to kill are very VERY good at turtling up.

Step One: Learn CMAN feint.
Step Two: Win.

~Mikoguchi Chydenar, Jackal Corps.
Re: Hunting at 23-24 07/01/2009 11:21 PM CDT
Krolvin warfarers.

FOOL! You've activated my trap card!
Re: Hunting at 23-24 07/01/2009 11:46 PM CDT
Warfarers, reivers, centaurs/basilisks, zombies of all flavor, arch wights, while younger, can swarm and give you lots of experience.

In a couple levels, grutik are fun, both the savages and the shaman.
Re: Hunting at 23-24 07/02/2009 12:26 AM CDT
I'ma post the token message:

Reroll Bard it's alot easier.
Re: Hunting at 23-24 07/02/2009 12:38 AM CDT
<<Reroll Bard it's alot easier.

Hey! That's my line!

~Mikoguchi Chydenar, Jackal Corps.
Re: Hunting at 23-24 07/02/2009 01:11 AM CDT
>I'ma post the token message:
>Reroll Cleric it's alot easier.

Fixed that for you darling.

---
Miss Nixxi Dagon
Nymph & Dagger, incorporated
AIM: GS4 Islyia

"You, sir, fail at elfgirl." ~ Jen
Re: Hunting at 23-24 07/02/2009 07:19 AM CDT
Thank you. I completely forgot about Warfarers! Oh, and forget basilisks, their gaze gets me WAY too often for me to be comfortable with. It always seems to happen right before a dobrem walks in as well. I was trying to stay away from undead, because it seems like it's been a hassle trying to get a bless on my 4x broadsword lately, but maybe that's just the haven.

Either way, thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them all a go.

Appoloin
Re: Hunting at 23-24 07/02/2009 07:32 AM CDT
>So...getting fried has been a giant PITA lately. I seem to be having a real hard time finding anything to reliably hunt and kill. I'm OHE / Shield build, with shield bash for my main CM. The biggest problem I seem to be running into is that the creatures I'm trying to kill are very VERY good at turtling up.

If you cant smack them around when they are turtled due to your amazing Paladin AS, then you need a method for stance forcing.

Feint is an excellent method for stance forcing, but you may not have the points to learn enough ranks to use it effectively. If you find this to be the case, get more Cman ranks, and bond your weapon.

You also need a knockdown. Sbash works, but it is not the only possibility, and its usefulness varies from critter to critter. Although I had sbash, I didn't use it much from 25-45, because I found ambush critter left leg just as effective and less costly in stamina most of the time. If a critter was padded, swinging at its leg wouldn't work well, but sbash was there as an alternative.

As a Voln warrior at your level, I was naturally smacking around zombies for experience and favor, and wights for favor and fun. But because nearly anyone can (and does) smack zombies around for experience, you will not find much loot on them. The crazed zombies in Ta'V have some higher level friends with them, and are consequently a bit richer. If you have a good spirit TD the lower Weald is probably the best place to go. (It is currently overrun from time to time with higher level undead as part of the stroyline, so be careful if you go poking around in the undead haunts of Ta'V at the moment).
Re: Hunting at 23-24 07/02/2009 08:02 AM CDT
>I'ma post the token message:
>Reroll Cleric it's alot easier.

Fixed that for you darling.<<

No, no, no. Sorcerers reroll cleric, paladins reroll bard and rogues reroll monk.

Keith/Kithus

"It's my own goal to keep you better informed of our progress toward these goals in 2009, as we work to finish what we started."

Sirina - 2009 Goals
Re: Hunting at 23-24 07/02/2009 01:03 PM CDT
Would you guys suggest dropping off my rank 3 SBash to improve Feint instead? Sbash is pretty nice, but it only works a portion of the time.

You also mentioned ambushing. I'm fully singled in CM, and self spelled I get the phantom CM ranks, but against mobs 3 levels under me (ogre warrior) I still receive the "failed to find an opening" about a third of the time it seems. My perception may be way off, but does anyone know how long it will take before I can consistantly find an opening? When I do land the blow, I almost always hit what I was aiming for.

As to the Ta'V hunting areas, I've been thinking of sending him back out there, and may do just as you suggested. Thanks again!

Appoloin
Re: Hunting at 23-24 07/02/2009 01:16 PM CDT
I should add, that it looks like I can get rank 4 of Feint right now, instead of having 3 ranks of SBash and one rank of WSpec if that makes a difference at all in anyones opinion.

Appoloin
Re: Hunting at 23-24 07/02/2009 04:21 PM CDT
go to tavaalor
you can do weild and arch wights

the arch wights can get you some exp and there stedy unded

lower wield can keep you in exp
just keep the fient and swing away
Re: Hunting at 23-24 07/02/2009 04:32 PM CDT
I'm a shield basher who got his last rank at 45th or 46th....I love it. I'm much better now than when I had 3 ranks, and with my eonake shield and 1608, it's awesome.
Re: Hunting at 23-24 07/02/2009 05:28 PM CDT
>You also mentioned ambushing. I'm fully singled in CM, and self spelled I get the phantom CM ranks, but against mobs 3 levels under me (ogre warrior) I still receive the "failed to find an opening" about a third of the time it seems. My perception may be way off, but does anyone know how long it will take before I can consistantly find an opening? When I do land the blow, I almost always hit what I was aiming for.

Perception will not do you any good. For open ambush with a melee weapon you need CM and ambush to aim your shots. I am not sure how long it will take you with singled CM.

>I'm a shield basher who got his last rank at 45th or 46th....I love it. I'm much better now than when I had 3 ranks, and with my eonake shield and 1608, it's awesome.

This I agree with. That fifth rank is important. One of the reasons I use it rather more now, is that it is that much more effective with the 5th rank.

>I should add, that it looks like I can get rank 4 of Feint right now, instead of having 3 ranks of SBash and one rank of WSpec if that makes a difference at all in anyones opinion

Its a question of whether you need knockdown or stancing more. Eventually you need both. Its really a question of style and what you find you need for what you want to hunt.
Re: Hunting at 23-24 07/02/2009 06:26 PM CDT
I never got shield bash with less than 5 ranks. At 5 ranks it was better than feint in my experience, in fact I never used feint when I had it.

So I'm probably not the best source of advice. I'd say if you're having issues with getting a forced stance with shield bash, that you should switch to feint. As a thw user I use it exclusively.

Dgry