What I Do 01/29/2009 11:26 PM CST
After catching up on this particular topic after my long absence, I noticed a lot of open ambush questions popping up. I figured I'd share my thoughts.

With Ziveron, I like to use bullrush to knock my targets over then use open ambush to take off their legs and keep them from getting back up whenever possible. On the flip side, if I'm having trouble knocking one down, I attack the legs to make them easier to knock over.

I'm also one of those folks that enjoys taking a critter apart one piece at a time. I use a longsword and a tower shield. I hit casters in the head when I can or try to stun them by hitting them in the torso. When I need critters to give me a moment, I'll knock them over so they have to stand or take out their legs so they're swinging from the ground. Since I don't have the points for disarm yet, I take care of nasty weapons by breaking their arms. Shields... left arm. And if I just need to finish it, I hit them in the back.

At 28, I don't quite have the training to aim as reliably as I'd like, but it works often enough to try.

Lord Aeryck Arkhannan the Brigand-Smith
Jezzerem the Sylvan Battlechanter
Ziveron Bartel, Paladin of Onar
Rhorren the Gnomish Whirlwind Warrior
And others...
Re: What I Do 01/29/2009 11:33 PM CST
that is way too much work.

i thought onarians were suppost to be efficient?

~Mikoguchi

The plain scroll reads, "Mikoguchi has a killer rabbit."

AIM: GS4Bransen
Re: What I Do 01/30/2009 07:12 AM CST
What makes you choose Bullrush over Shield Charge?

"I hate to say it, but Evarin's right."

= - GM Oscuro - =

Cleric/Empath Team
Re: What I Do 01/30/2009 08:14 AM CST
Ziveron is not your typical Onarian, heh. I posted a bit about his views in the Onar folder.

First, I should correct myself. My paladin is 27, not 28.

I chose Bullrush primarily because it was useful without also choosing Shield Bash. I'd end up spending more cman points on Shield Charge without getting the effectiveness I need right now. I'm up to rank 3 with bullrush and I will have rank 4 in just a couple more levels.

Don't get me wrong. I've used shield bash with my rogue (before I changed to dual axe ambush Mmmm...)and I loved it. But points-to-efficient-ranks-wise, Bullrush is the wiser choice. It was at rank 3 by level 17 whereas the earliest that Shield Charge could be rank 3 with single training Combat Maneuvers would be 26.

But since you asked, I have reviewed the maneuvers' descriptions to make sure I still liked my choice. I do. Bullrush adds roundtime, costs less stamina, and will add roundtime on a bare success. Between Bullrush and 1602, I can generally get three swings on my prone opponent before they stand up and then another couple of swings before their roundtime diminishes. If they last that long. Or better yet, a swing and another bullrush into the ground. And that's if they manage to stand up after I break their legs.

The "It's a somewhat wild charge, and significant round times can result." doesn't appeal to me either. I'm not ruling the maneuver out for later, but right now Bullrush is better for me. Besides, I like the idea of a 6'2" human man in heavy armor bodychecking people into the ground.

A tower shield and 1609 is amazing, by the by. I love it.

And others...
Re: What I Do 01/30/2009 08:28 AM CST
I would also suggest having your armor flared if it isn't padded. I believe if you can get your hands on a sanctified set of plate you can actually add double plasma flares via Guiding Light. I THINK it might still work on non-sanctified armor if you bless the armor first, then cast Guiding light, but padded armor can't hold a bless.

Worse comes worst, I would highly suggest trying to pick up some spikes for your set at the upcoming festival. Bullrush + spikes would be nice as well.

= - GM Oscuro - =

Cleric/Empath Team
Re: What I Do 01/30/2009 08:31 AM CST
Blech. It looks like blessing isn't enough. I really hate sanctified crap.

Duration: 50 swings

Type: Utility

A Paladin may channel her spiritual energy into a holy weapon (sanctified) adding plasma criticals, to cause it to flare up to two times against a foe. Guiding Light may even be cast upon magical sanctified weapons if the caster's Paladin Spell ranks + Spiritual Lore, Blessing ranks = 15 or greater. The plasma criticals will flare on any type of creature, but only for Paladins and Clerics who wield the holy weapon.

Each time the weapon fails to flare, the base percent chance it will flare increases each successful hit until a flare occurs. For the second flare, the base chance is increased with training in the Spiritual Lore, Blessings skill, providing an additional 4% at 3 ranks, with the maximum bonus of 68% at 187 ranks.

A dedication to Paladin spell training will increase the number of swings +1 for every Paladin spell rank over 8 to a maximum of 25 additional swings (75 total swings).

Training in Spiritual Lore, Blessings increases the bonus further, adding a +1 for every rank.

= - GM Oscuro - =

Cleric/Empath Team
Re: What I Do 01/30/2009 10:52 AM CST
Yay bullrush! Email me, I've got a collection of sanctified arm greaves which can take Guiding Light to add plasma flares to bull rush. You're welcome to a set.

(OOC) You quietly whisper to Paramour, "I dislike you. I now have, "That's What You Get!" by Paramore playing in my head. Because of your name."
(OOC) Paramour's player whispers, "PAIN MAKE YOUR WAY TO ME, AND I'LL ALWAYS BE SO INVITING."
Re: What I Do 01/30/2009 11:20 AM CST
Ooh. Neato keen. I didn't think anything but what covered your torso would count as flares for bullrush. What other body armor pieces count? Neck, helmet?

= - GM Oscuro - =

Cleric/Empath Team
Re: What I Do 01/30/2009 11:26 AM CST
yay for typos and no edit button!

~Mikoguchi

The plain scroll reads, "Mikoguchi has a killer rabbit."

AIM: GS4Bransen
Re: What I Do 01/30/2009 11:28 AM CST
Yeah. The PC board has gotten me into the habit of posting first, then reading and correcting afterwards. Not a good habit when posting on the officials.

= - GM Oscuro - =

Cleric/Empath Team
Re: What I Do 01/30/2009 12:04 PM CST
Head coverage accessories will flare offensively only on the Headbutt maneuver.

Leg coverage accessories will flare offensively only for Sweep and Groin Kick.

Arm coverage accessories will flare offensively for Tackle, Bull Rush, Twin Hammerfist, Haymaker, Sucker Punch and Bearhug (I'm relatively certain, but have never tested personally).

(OOC) You quietly whisper to Paramour, "I dislike you. I now have, "That's What You Get!" by Paramore playing in my head. Because of your name."
(OOC) Paramour's player whispers, "PAIN MAKE YOUR WAY TO ME, AND I'LL ALWAYS BE SO INVITING."
Re: What I Do 01/30/2009 08:44 PM CST
It hadn't even occured to me to try armor flares. Hm...

And others...
Re: What I Do 01/30/2009 08:54 PM CST
Let me know how those greaves work out for you!

Re: What I Do 01/30/2009 09:25 PM CST
I shall. And for the record, I owe you one.

And others...
Re: What I Do 01/30/2009 10:14 PM CST
So good. So so good.

[Roll result: 171 (open d100: 82) Penalties: 2]
You rush towards a zombie and connect with a shoulder check!
You manage to knock a zombie flat on her back! 14 hits!

Your steel arm greaves pulse with a burst of plasma energy at the zombie!

... 25 points of damage!
A raw, red hole is drilled in the zombie's chest by a powerful bolt!
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the zombie's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
The zombie shudders slightly then ceases her so called life.
A zombie recovers from being rebuked, regaining her composure.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

And others...
Re: What I Do 01/30/2009 10:16 PM CST
Bahahha, wonderful! Should be able to look at them to see if they still have Guiding Light active. Recast as needed. Much cheaper than buying flaring greaves.

Re: What I Do 01/31/2009 04:51 PM CST
>Arm coverage accessories will flare offensively for Tackle, Bull Rush, Twin Hammerfist, Haymaker, Sucker Punch and Bearhug (I'm relatively certain, but have never tested personally).

Bearhug will indeed flare from the arms, and its arms you need blessed to bearhug those undead that are huggable. Blessing the base armor works too, unless you put an unblessed arm accessory over it.
Re: What I Do 01/31/2009 06:45 PM CST
Disintegrating bearhug will be amazingly amusing.

Re: What I Do 02/09/2009 07:27 PM CST
Further awesomeness!

>cman bull
[Roll result: 113 (open d100: 20) Penalties: 0]
You rush towards a zombie and connect with a shoulder check!
You knock a zombie slightly off balance!

... 30 points of damage!
The zombie's eye blown out of socket by powerful bolt of plasma!

... 45 points of damage!
Tremendous plasma discharge slices deep into the zombie's chest!
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the zombie's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
The zombie falls to the ground, a lifeless lump of flesh.
A zombie appears less distracted and conflicted.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

~Andy, player of:
And others...
Re: What I Do 02/09/2009 10:15 PM CST
Hahahah, awesome!

Re: What I Do 02/10/2009 02:26 PM CST
This is how I hunt... I don't have it first person, since I don't log with my Paladin but...
(Notice I tried to leave the room before it happened... oops?)

>sw
[Temple Wyneb, Calvaria]
Streaks of yellow sulfur run down the dark grey stone in jagged bands. A rough hollow remains where someone has been digging into one of the larger deposits. You also see an emaciated hierophant and an emaciated hierophant.
Obvious exits: northeast, west
X followed.
Your disk arrives, following you dutifully.
>w
An emaciated hierophant swings a scorched rune-etched espadon at X!
AS: +336 vs DS: +297 with AvD: +13 + d100 roll: +72 = +124
... and hits for 4 points of damage!
Thumped X's chest.

X's field plate releases a blast of vibrating energy at the emaciated hierophant!

... 30 points of damage!
Hard blow to temple scrambles brain!
An emaciated hierophant dies, falling down like a rag doll.
The very powerful look leaves an emaciated hierophant.
The white light leaves an emaciated hierophant.
The deep blue glow leaves an emaciated hierophant.
An emaciated hierophant seems to lose an aura of confidence.
An emaciated hierophant seems to lose some dexterity.
An emaciated hierophant appears less powerful.
The dull golden nimbus fades from around an emaciated hierophant.
A muscular supplicant just arrived.
[Temple Wyneb, Calvaria]
A large alcove catches your eye, and even in this faint light you can see the harsh yellow of a sulfur deposit standing out against the grey stone. It looks as though a great deal of mining took place here once, carving out a significant section of the tunnel.
Obvious exits: east, west
Re: What I Do 02/10/2009 05:17 PM CST
So... you killed something by walking through a room? Awesome.

~Andy, player of:
And others...
Re: What I Do 02/11/2009 11:00 AM CST
Yea, I also just HAD to share, since it was the first death crit that my new flaring armor had produced.