short little paladin guide i wrote cause i was bored before work 05/27/2015 12:14 AM CDT

Paladin Training & Hunting strategy

Ok, i've seen alot of different posts about paladin hunting and i'm seeing the same thing over and over so i'm putting in my two cents because i'm sick of the "Glass Cannon" stereotype most paladins have because they have a 600+ AS but die in just a couple hits.

Keep in mind, we're referring to paladin training for pre cap to cap. (lvl 100)

First off, let's discuss weapons.

Paladin can be good at any weapon skill because our spells help in so many different ways, you have to take in to consideration lore training carefully for the bonuses from spells, depending on weapon type.

Your weapon is your choice. A paladin can make anything from brawling (utilizing sancted gloves + knuckle-blade + 1618 a paladin can get 5 offensive flares on a single punch, and webbing your foe can tier you up automagically on your second punch! our spells that add DF from 1605 and at least Heavy damage weighting from 1608 make this a viable hunting style.), to using a maul or lance. I'll explain when we get to spells.

I am a capped paladin with mace/shield in order to control the variables involved with critter combat as much as i can. (crush only damage, best fatal crit percentage for head/neck shots) I have also used edged&shield/pole/brawl&shield.

~~TRAINING~~

Growing up as a paladin, you have to choose. "Do i want extremely high AS, or massive DS and an average AS?" the answer is simple. If you kill stuff in 1-2 hits with a 300+ endroll, do you really need a 350+ endroll? or is survivability more important to you? Some prefer the method of training religion lore for zealot and adding massive AS, but so much is lost, DS loss from not having a shield and lower DS from having a lower blessings lore is only a portion of it (see above "Glass cannon" reference). If you train 65 blessings lore, you'll have at LEAST a 34% chance to outright block in offensive not considering the unknown stat bonus (assuming tower shield 5% and 2x shield training 10%, +19% chance from 1609 + stat bonus?). That's HUGE!!

Lore training:
Lores grow more and more important as you near cap and are getting diminishing returns from other skills. i reccommend minimal lore training ,maybe .5x, until you have 35 ranks paladin spells for divine intervention (Beseech) and 20 ranks of Minor spirit for 120's nice DS/Spirit TD bonus. After that you can choose more lores or more paladin spells, but 140(wall of force) is only really viable if you stay in chain hauberk. The casting RT from keeping 1603 up all the time for low spell hinderance in plate is just too dangerous in a swarm.

At cap 65 blessings, 30 summoning and 15 religion is perfect. train more lores post-cap.

Why 65 Blessings Lore? +15 DS though 1601. Adds +6 targets to open casting 1602. extra 36% chance for a second flare though 1604 or a bonded weapon that inherits the consecrate flares at rank 2 bonding. Extra healing from 1607 (useful sometimes. mostly i use 1607 for the stamina gained and stamina regen when i need to mstrike 5x in a row on a swarm.) 1608 is one of my favorite new changes. If for nothing else, use this for swarms, invasions and warcamps. this does make everything you ward only attack you, so careful not to hit your warrior friend with it in a warcamp or you'll find his berserk aimed right at you!! This spell also gives 60 seconds of ignoring force on force mechanics for +6 additional foes over your MoC training! WOW! 1609 adds +19% chance to block, which is enormous! you get +9 more phantom Cman ranks from 1611. max effect of +20 DS from 1613, +10 Health points from 1616, and best of all... an unknown addition to the Heavy Damage Weighting already given by 1618.

Why 30 Religion Lore?

85% chance to make a target kneel wth 1615/1630. Both are awesome. no doubt. I use 1615 when i need something (quickly fading enemies like spectral defenders in nelemar) to stay in RT after i kill them to be able to search them with a 5-8 second RT from my mstrike. This strategy ONLY works if 1615 makes the target kneel. if the target is already down, it does not cause RT. This is important to remember because if you need something to not attack for 10 seconds or so, this is your best bet. I don't think 1630 causes RT or at least not as much RT, even when it makes the target kneel.
1610: +4 more DS (seed 5)
1614: A PALADIN'S BEST FRIEND!! USE THIS SPELL OFTEN! 30 religion ranks will give you the max DS pushdown on this spell of 15%. There is a trick to 1614. this spell is most effective against critters/players in a defensive stance! The penalties for a failed warding on this spell are taken off by a percentage, but if a critter loses 75 DS due to 1614 in defensive, they keep that loss of 75 DS in offensive when they switch. if you catch them in offensive, the effect on DS won't be as much but the evade/block/parry penalties they take are what REALLY make this spell special. wanna hit critters 90%+ of the time instead of getting evaded/blocked/parried? Use 1614.
1617: Zealot. a great boost for post-cap paladins to work on. not a NEEDED spell although most paladins (remember the term for these guys?) use it. WE'RE NOT REFERRING TO A 2X OR 3X CAPPED PALADIN. We're referring to a someone newly capped or growing. Remember, it's a guide, not a manual.

1618: Religion lore adds an unknown chance of potential for flares.
1619: A novelty spell really. useful in a few situations... usually invasions or PvP against a pure/semi. +12 more TD over the base 50.
Raising the dead 1640: 2x per day with 30 ranks religion, 3x with 40. have a cleric do it. you can't use chrisms anyway and it doesn't fill your head.

Why 15 summning lore?

Easy. specifically 15 ranks because I like to be able to cast web without having to stance down first. once you get 20 ranks of summoning lore web becomes a bolt. paladins don't bolt.
15 ranks also gives bonuses to:
1602: adds +1 RT for a total +3 on a failed warding roll.
1603: max benefit.
1604: Increases damage done by plasma flares from 1604 or paladin bonding rank 2
1605: +2% DF. next DF bonus is 18 ranks. you can move here for the extra 1% DF but... meh
1625: mana capacity of the bonded weapon is increased by +1 per rank, level of spell that can be infused is increased. holds 20 charges of 1602 at 15 summoning ranks, which is what i use (against defenders to slow them down even more. beseech weapon, attack, 1615, mstrike will usually take out a defender without given them a chance to attack more than once and give you plenty of time to search them (about 12-13 seconds).

other skills- Remeber, just a guide, not a manual of how you MUST do it.

1x cman to cap, then work on it as a post-cap goal when you can. you need the cman points. don't listen to people that say it's a waste because you get "132 phantom cman that's capped at the 202 bonus for maneuver defense and open ambush". so what? you're not getting 162 ranks of paladin spells for that bonus ANY TIME SOON. get the 101 cmans and eventually 202 post-cap. With the training suggested here you will have 42 phantom cman ranks from 1611 at cap.

1x pf to cap, make it a first priority to 2x post-cap.

Armor use. This is a big debate. Growing up, it's easier hunting if you use your set up spells like 118 and 1614. these are heavy on mana but SUPER effective and 1614 is area wide so works great in a swarm. 118 is better growing up 1 on 1. It lowers a critter DS enough that you can usually one-shot em. My advice is this: If you use a shield, get to 80 ranks and stay in chain haub for awhile until you have more TP's to spare after training spells/lores. If you use THW/pole, decide what you're going to sacrifice to get 150 ranks of armor use ASAP because if you're not in plate, you're probably dead. (probably dead on a regular basis anyway, unless trained perfectly. What was that phrase again? "Glass cannon"?)

MoC: 60 ranks when you hit cap. 3x mstrike is plenty until post-cap for a paladin with our DF and Damage weighting bonuses. If you need more FoF you have spells for that.

Dodging/shield. train one or the other 2x, you can train the other post-cap.

SMC: 24 ranks. 25 if you want to multicast

Perception: 1x

Climbing/swimming: 1x to 60-65 depending on your preference.

MnS: 20 ranks (at cap)
Paladin Spells: 40 ranks (at cap)

Harness power: 1x

Ambush: 40 ranks

Survival: .5x
First aid: whatever you can spare.

Arcane Symbols is a good idea to put ALL remaining TP's into because this will increase your spell burst for OTF/Nelemar and you can wear more outside spells. 101 is a good goal but hard to reach.
MIU: Same as arcane symbols.
If you know a good sorcerer who can unlock scrolls, (Insert free advertising for Allereli here) focus more on arcane symbols.
If you prefer mage rechargables and imbeds, train more MIU.

~~Cmans, shield and Armor skills~~
Really can vary on what type of weapon combination you use.
Do your research. Test different skills. migrating cmans sucks but it's worth seeing for yourself what's effective and what's not.
Armor skills: Fluidity.

~~HUNTING~~

Paladin life is easy.

Growing up, you don't have much mana so make it count. you can ward almost anything your level or a little higher so use that to your advantage. Set up entire rooms with 1614 then open mstrike, use web if you are in hauberk (for low spell hinderance using web.) against single foes and lop off some heads with open ambush. If in plate just stick to 1614. Web is more expensive, but a little more effective.

At cap... Be in plate. 1614/open ambush works great, so does mstrike. I'm not gonna go into details for this because you're cap. if you don't know how to hunt well by now, you need more than a guide, you need a mentor. Post-cap you can train more armor use, but you're still going to want to use 1603 because MnS hinderance sucks. with 150 ranks armor use and rank 5 armor fluidity, MnS is 88% without 1603, 2% with it. Paladin hinderance is 8%. 0 with 1603 up. lasts 30 seconds.

~~Spells to keep up~~
Stackables-
101, 103, 107, 115, 120
1601, 1605, 1606, 1609, 1610, 1611, 1612, 1613, 1616.

Short duration spells-
117 - +75 AS for 1 swing plus a chance to activate a second, third or even fourth swing because... you guessed it... Blessings lore!
1603 - greatly reduces spell hinderance for paladin and MnS spells.
1607 - this spell is overlooked often. gives a bonus to stamina instantly gained AND stamina regen, as well as healing you a bit. this is good to use in situations like, where you mstrike confirm a room full of grimswarm 3x in a row, cast 1607 and suddenly you have full stamina again and mstrike 5x more before running out of steam and having to rest your mstrike for 10 seconds or so between strikes.
1608 - Ignore FoF for extra opponents, make everything not grouped to you target only you. Let's see a warrior block do that! the FoF offset effect lasts 60 seconds.
1617 - Cannot be used if 1609 is up. Good for those hunts when you need more AS, but are good on DS
1618 - This one's tricky but if used right, gives at least HDW plus an unknown blessings lore bonus to the weighting. lasts 1 minute, has a total 3 minute cooldown. 1 minute on, 2 off. if cast before the cooldown the mana cost increases by 9 for each subsequent cast (18, 27, 36, etc..)
1619: novelty/invasion/pvp against pures/semis

Please read through the section on lores for some more specific hunting tweaks and strategies using spells to your advantage.

Yes, i know i didn't cover everything. It's after midnight and i've gotta be at work in 2 hours!
This is my short little paladin training guide. Tear it apart, Take my advice, or... don't. Up to you.
I didn't spell check either so... haha.

Enjoy

~Nairdin
Re: short little paladin guide (my two cents on two handers build) 05/27/2015 10:51 AM CDT
Overall I can agree with you though some things I would beg the differ when it comes to using a two handed weapon, like myself. I don't consider myself "glass cannon" and believe it or not, I only zealot if I feel a need for it.

I chose to go with 2x in PT and 1x in Dodge per train as Two Hander wielding pally. Lore? Currently I'm at 45 in religion, 15 in Blessing, and 15 in Spirit at level 90 (balancing myself out though I do intend to pump more into religeon after I believe I have enough Blessing Lore). What does this give me? 189 health as a Sylvan, a decent redux to go along with my master damage padded full plate, and heavy crit padded greathelmet with puncture resistance. Being in Voln, I can use symbol of restoration, courage, protection, etc if needed. However; it's important to know that you know it's time to flee when suddenly you can't cast. We are NOT warriors with their CMs / guild abilities and thus rely on good things such as 1601 (trial), 1614 (aura), 1615 (divine strike), 1630 (Judgement). Thankfully Beseech (1635, Divine Intervention) only requires us to have mana.

To spell it out here's my actual training at 90 which is working rather well. I don't die easily and usually when I do die, it's because I got stuck in RT and nicked to death while unable to anything but smile and take it.

You'll note the 30 trainings in Minor Spirit because I don't like Voln fogging all the time as it would be a waste of favor (at least in my mind) plus at the cost of 5 more circles for the benefit to do Call Lightning on MOST boxes as it's tough to find an available locksmith and I'd rather not get ripped off the local locksmith who charges more than the box of treasure is worth more often than not.

Falvicar (at level 90), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 282 182
Combat Maneuvers...................| 191 91
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 284 184
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 160 60
Physical Fitness...................| 282 182
Dodging............................| 191 91
Magic Item Use.....................| 90 20
Harness Power......................| 191 91
Spirit Mana Control................| 102 25
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 70 15
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 145 45
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 70 15
Perception.........................| 120 30
Climbing...........................| 140 40
Swimming...........................| 140 40
First Aid..........................| 140 40

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 30

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 40

My chosen combat manuevers as a 2 handed wielding pally:

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Combat Movement cmovement 2
Specialization I wspec1 5
Side by Side sidebyside 3
Surge of Strength surge 3

Available Combat Maneuver Training Points: 3

Stats (if curious)

Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 100 (25) ... 134 (42)
Constitution (CON): 96 (23) ... 106 (28)
Dexterity (DEX): 99 (34) ... 99 (34)
Agility (AGI): 99 (29) ... 99 (29)
Discipline (DIS): 99 (19) ... 99 (19)
Aura (AUR): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Logic (LOG): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Intuition (INT): 85 (17) ... 85 (17)
Wisdom (WIS): 99 (24) ... 109 (29)
Influence (INF): 75 (12) ... 75 (12)

You can argue I'm glass cannon, but I would argue I'm a semi "glass cannon" with my current gear and only zealoting when needed to so I can hit (for example) a vaespilon or a chimera that has 500 DS. Just FYI: my infamous katana is 5x (+25) and my armor (voln armor, t3, MDP) is +22.

As a two hander, in the Rift, I usually stance dance on Plane 3 and ignore the warlocks. For those that don't know, stance dance means starting in Stance Defensive, then waiting for beastie to attack, then you change stances to offense, return attack, then immediately go back to defensive stance when you can. If a beastie is able be death critted, and you are 1xing in CMs, then you can try to AIM at the head/neck and ambush <beastie> to try to just outright kill them. Typically it adds a second or two or RT depending on encumbrance, weapon material etc. You can and you will miss what your aiming for from time to time and sometimes you won't even find an opening to strike. That said, I (and I think others agree with me on this) open with 1601 or 1615. If I'm in a swarm, I typically 1614 then 1630 (while in guarded stance) and then stance offensive / multistrike and go from there.

So typically this is what a normal battle is. It's when you add bandits and Kenstrom super beasties when things get.. interesting

[The Rift]
Mist swirls and flows around a small monument here. A man lies on the ground face down, quite dead. There are ten longswords protruding from his back, from the tip of the neck to the back of the knees. Small rivulets of blood have dried as they left the body, forming an unusual pattern in the dirt. You also see an aivren that is flying around and a n'ecare.
Obvious exits: east, west
>
A n'ecare swings a wickedly curved falchion at you!
At the last moment, you parry the blow with your katana!
>
An aivren swoops down from high overhead!
An aivren tries to bite you!
AS: +398 vs DS: +520 with AvD: +7 + d100 roll: +20 = -95
A clean miss.
>prep 1614
You trace your patron's holy symbol in the air, using it to focus your invocation of Aura of the Arkati.
Your spell is ready.
>ca
You gesture.
Calling upon your patron to aid your cause, a brilliant aura begins to radiate from you!
CS: +374 - TD: +289 + CvA: +25 + d100: +33 == +143
Warding failed!
An aivren gapes in awe, visibly struggling against your radiant aura!
CS: +374 - TD: +277 + CvA: -6 + d100: +95 == +186
Warding failed!
A n'ecare gapes in awe, visibly struggling against your radiant aura!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)
>
A n'ecare swings a wickedly curved falchion at you!
You barely dodge the attack!
>prep 1630
Wait 1 sec.
>
An aivren rakes at you with a razor-sharp claw!
AS: +408 vs DS: +470 with AvD: +7 + d100 roll: +95 = +40
A clean miss.
An aivren rakes at you with a razor-sharp claw!
AS: +408 vs DS: +470 with AvD: +7 + d100 roll: +17 = -38
A clean miss.
>prep 1630
You trace your patron's holy symbol in the air, using it to focus your invocation of Judgment.
Your spell is ready.
>ca
You gesture.
You briefly close your eyes, and the faint visage of a rearing unicorn appears behind you. A faint black light builds up and emanates from your hand before it takes the shape of an ethereal sword!
A plume of silver starlit flames stream from the edge of the ethereal sword, striking an aivren!
CS: +374 - TD: +289 + CvA: +25 + d100: +95 == +205
Warding failed!
The aivren is stricken for 97 points of damage!
... 30 points of damage!
Flames incinerate muscle tissue in neck exposing the trachea. More than you ever wanted to see.
The aivren is stunned!
The aivren is driven to its knees!
A plume of silver starlit flames stream from the edge of the ethereal sword, striking a n'ecare!
CS: +374 - TD: +277 + CvA: -6 + d100: +46 == +137
Warding failed!
The n'ecare is stricken for 28 points of damage!
... 30 points of damage!
Nasty burns to left leg. Gonna need lots of butter.
It is knocked to the ground!

The ethereal sword in your hand scatters into pinpoints of light that fade away.
>
A n'ecare stands up slowly.
>prep divine strike
You trace your patron's holy symbol in the air, using it to focus your invocation of Divine Strike.
Your spell is ready.
>ca n'
You gesture at a n'ecare.
A pillar of darkness manifests around a n'ecare.
CS: +374 - TD: +277 + CvA: -6 + d100: +39 == +130
Warding failed!
Waves of sacred energy tear through the n'ecare's body!
... 30 points of damage!
... 35 points of damage!
Flames incinerate left arm to the bone. Not a pleasant sight.
The n'ecare is driven to his knees!
>stance off
You are now in an offensive stance.
>ambush n'
You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at a n'ecare!
AS: +434 vs DS: +150 with AvD: +41 + d100 roll: +72 = +397
... and hit for 143 points of damage!
Wild upward slash removes the n'ecare's face from his skull!
Interesting way to die.
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the n'ecare's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
The n'ecare wails in terrifying pain one last time and lies still.
A n'ecare recovers from being rebuked, regaining his composure.
Roundtime: 6 sec.
R>ambush
You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at an aivren!
AS: +434 vs DS: +246 with AvD: +38 + d100 roll: +17 = +243
... and hit for 98 points of damage!
Gruesome slash opens the aivren's forehead!
Grey matter spills forth!
The aivren crashes to the ground motionless.
An aivren recovers from being rebuked, regaining its composure.

Anyway... for wwhatever this is worth for Two Handers from my view though I certainly agree with you on your assessment of the Sword/Board build :-)

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: short little paladin guide (my two cents on two handers build) 05/27/2015 10:58 AM CDT

A little further on the guide:

Side by Side
Combat Movement

These are great when you are a in group for extra offense and defense

Also.. Crusade is an awesome spell to use during invasions and stacks with weighting / other flares from other weapons. It's a wonderful 30 seconds of fun with it's flares and extra weighting (can't recall off hand if it's damage or crit) but nonetheless.. invaluable when going after wave after wave of enemies.

Re: short little paladin guide i wrote cause i was bored before work 06/03/2015 03:03 AM CDT
Why OHB/Shield? THW/Pole is nice, but you don't need it to kill stuff. You do, however at times find yourself needing a high DS in forward stance (for reactive flares. see the next post) while you stand back and buff your party during invasions or just standing around making life easy for your younger friends. In my group, i keep up the following spells. keep in mind these affect my whole group this way.

1605 for an extra 12% DF

1613 for an additional +20 pDS

1618 for phantom HDW(maybe alot more, the numbers are unclear about bonuses above HDW) + plasma flares, one minute every 3, unless we have someone in the group to be my mana battery, then i cast it up to 4x in a row because of the increasing mana cost

1609 for an extra 19% to block rate for shield users

I usually cast 1601 on all of my group members for about an hour of 15 bDS, 15 pDS, 7 elemTD, 15 spirTD, 11 sorcTD.

With 65 spirit blessings lore, I can cast 120 on group members for a couple minutes at a time if needed for that extra 15 bDS, 15 pDS, 10 elemTD, 20 spirTD, 15 sorcTD

In invasions, a Tanky build paladin like this is really the best choice as leader because of the way our spells work. here are my skills and i'll explain why below.

Nairdin (at level 100), your base skill bonuses, ranks and goals are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 250 150
Shield Use.........................| 302 202
Combat Maneuvers...................| 201 101
Blunt Weapons......................| 302 202
Ambush.............................| 140 40
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 160 60
Physical Fitness...................| 302 202
Arcane Symbols.....................| 201 101
Magic Item Use.....................| 151 51
Harness Power......................| 201 101
Spirit Mana Control................| 105 25
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 165 65
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 122 31
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 70 15
Survival...........................| 201 101
Perception.........................| 201 101
Climbing...........................| 160 60
Swimming...........................| 160 60
First Aid..........................| 201 101
Trading............................| 74 16

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 20

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 40

As a paladin with these lores and spell ranks I get the following benefits from spells, if all calculations are correct.
This is the spellup i use for invasions. I said a paladin like this is the best choice for leader of a group during invasions. This is because if someone dies, everyone else can concentrate on fighting while i grab ahold of the body, use symbol of preservation on it(or white flask or have someone else preserve it if you're not voln), then cast 1620 to send the body to TSC without anyone having to leave the group and possibly get rocked by a friend casting an area effect non-player friendly spell or something. Also this way we don't have to worry about losing two people because one died and someone needs to fog or drag the body away. Paladins also have 108, and keeping 1603 up, can unstun someone without worrying about hinderance in plate. so warcamps/invasions let your non-zealotting (or zealotting if everyone in the group can handle being stuck in offensive) Paladin lead.

- Minor Spirit:
101: Spirit Warding I - 10 bDS, 5 elemTD, 10 spirTD, 8 sorcTD
102: Spirit Barrier - -29 pAS, 29 bDS, 29 pDS
103: Spirit Defense - 10 bDS, 10 pDS
107: Spirit Warding II - 25 bDS, 7 elemTD, 15 spirTD, 11 sorcTD
115: Fasthr's Reward
120: Lesser Shroud - 15 bDS, 15 pDS, 10 elemTD, 20 spirTD, 15 sorcTD

- Minor Elemental:
401: Elemental Defense I - 5 bDS, 5 pDS, 5 elemTD, 2 spirTD, 4 sorcTD
406: Elemental Defense II - 10 bDS, 10 pDS, 10 elemTD, 5 spirTD, 8 sorcTD
414: Elemental Defense III - 20 bDS, 20 pDS, 15 elemTD, 7 spirTD, 10 sorcTD

- Major Elemental:
503: Thurfel's Ward - 20 bDS, 20 pDS
509: Strength - 15 pAS, 15 str

- Paladin:
1601: Mantle of Faith - 15 bDS, 15 pDS, 7 elemTD, 15 spirTD, 11 sorcTD
1603: Faith's Clarity - 2% minor Spirit hinderance, 0% hinderance for paladin spells in full plate
1605: Arm of the Arkati - 12% DF
1606: Dauntless - 10 bAS, 10 pAS
1609: Divine Shield - 19% block
1610: Higher Vision - 24 bDS, 24 pDS
1611: Patron's Blessing - 42 CM
1612: Champion's Might - 12 elemCS, 25 spirCS, 18 sorcCS
1613: Guard the Meek - 20 pDS
1616: Vigor - 10 con, 30 health
1618: Crusade - Phantom HDW+ and adds plasma flares to the group

Spirit Guard (small statue) - 25 bDS, 25 pDS
Symbol of Courage - 26 bAS, 26 pAS
Symbol of Protection - 26 bDS, 26 pDS, 13 elemTD, 13 mentTD, 13 spirTD, 13 sorcTD

- Totals:
Offense: 36 bAS, 22 pAS, 12 elemCS, 25 spirCS, 18 sorcCS, 12% D
Defense: 234 bDS, 219 pDS, 72 elemTD, 13 mentTD, 87 spirTD, 80 sorcTD, 19% block
Stats: 15 str, 10 con, 30 health
Skills: 42 CM

An example of this same build with 211 added in for +15 AS and removing 102 (airwall) against bandits.

You gesture.
The divine power grants you lucid understanding of the spiritual and you become much more clearly focused.
>
You feel fully energetic again.
Your disk arrives, following you dutifully.
>
>sheat
You put a glaes-hafted shimmering ora warmace slathered with blood in your vruul skin swordbelt.
>
>get my scotch
You remove a glass of peat scotch from in your onyx leather pack.
>
>drink my scotch
You take a drink from your peat scotch. The complex flavors of peat, smoke, and wood linger as the scotch spreads through your stomach.
It doesn't seem very fresh.
You begin to notice the world slow down around you. Strange.
You have 7 quaffs left.
>
>stow my scotch
You put a glass of peat scotch in your onyx leather pack.
>
>get my warmac
You remove a glaes-hafted shimmering ora warmace slathered with blood from in your vruul skin swordbelt.
>
smooch
>You smack your lips.
>w
[Teras Isle, Crossroads]
A few ramshackle structures have been thrown up here, most little more than leather tents pitched by fishermen to protect their skiffs and

nets during the winter. The Hog's Pen Tavern with its walls of stacked tanik logs is the sturdiest structure in sight. At the rear of the tavern,

there is a pile of refuse and a trough that overflows with left-over meals and rain water. The sounds of a bustling town echo down the best-

kept of the various roads and paths that meet here.
Obvious paths: northeast, east, west
>
>w
[Teras Isle, Logging Road]
Grass, shrubs, and even small hills have been flattened by a logging road many yards wide stretching between the forest to the west and the

settlement to the east. Carts trundle by frequently, and it appears that at times the traffic has been heavy enough to carve two separate sets

of ruts into the mud. A small peak rises to the south, and the low stone buildings of a sizeable town dot its slopes. A cobblestone road heads

south, towards the town.
Obvious paths: east, west
>w
Saplings push up through the wreckage of logging slash piled to either side of the road. The decaying hulk of a massive fallen tree provides a

counterpoint to the vibrant new growth. Saws and axes have turned it into a pair of great bookends on either side of the road. You also see a

path leading off to the south, where Greymist Wood sends a dark finger of trees toward the coast.
Suddenly, you hear a soft whoosh of air as you realize you've just stepped on a carefully concealed inflated pouch.
Your surroundings begin to spin as you collapse in a heap, sick to your stomach!

Roundtime: 8 sec.
Roundtime changed to 5 seconds.
An erithian outlaw suddenly jumps out of the shadows!
A halfling brigand suddenly jumps out of the shadows!
A human outlaw suddenly jumps out of the shadows!
A half-krolvin brigand suddenly jumps out of the shadows!
>
>
A half-krolvin brigand swings a war mattock at you!
AS: +444 vs DS: +436 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +27 = +70
A clean miss.
>
A human outlaw pulls out a small statue and rubs it!
A faint silvery glow surrounds a human outlaw.
>
A halfling brigand slips into hiding.
>
In an awe inspiring display of combat mastery, an erithian outlaw engages you in a furious dance macabre, spiralling into a blur of strikes and

ripostes!
An erithian outlaw swings a falchion at you!
You roll to one side and deflect the attack with your greatshield!
You manage to angle your faewood greatshield just right so that the erithian outlaw comes perilously close to the spikes on it!

A spike on your faewood greatshield jabs into the erithian outlaw!
... 20 points of damage!
Shot pierces a wrist!
The erithian outlaw is stunned!

>stand
You stand back up.
>
>prep 1614
You motion forcefully as you confidently call on your patron in the invocation for Aura of the Arkati...
Your spell is ready.
>
>cast
You gesture.
Calling upon your patron to aid your cause, a brilliant aura begins to radiate from you!
CS: +402 - TD: +300 + CvA: -2 + d100: +78 == +178
Warding failed!
A half-krolvin brigand gapes in awe, visibly struggling against your radiant aura!
CS: +402 - TD: +294 + CvA: -2 + d100: +99 == +205
Warding failed!
A human outlaw gapes in awe, visibly struggling against your radiant aura!
A halfling brigand is forced out of hiding.
CS: +402 - TD: +273 + CvA: +1 + d100: +49 == +179
Warding failed!
A halfling brigand gapes in awe, visibly struggling against your radiant aura!
CS: +402 - TD: +273 + CvA: -10 + d100: +80 == +199
Warding failed!
An erithian outlaw gapes in awe, visibly struggling against your radiant aura!
>
>
You begin to lose touch with your internal sources of strength.
>
AS: +444 vs DS: +460 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +77 = +96
A clean miss.
>
A halfling brigand darts behind you quickly and tries to hamstring you with his handaxe!
[Roll result: 94 (open d100: 64)]
The halfling brigand's swing goes wide!
>
[Roll result: 62 (open d100: 7)]
A human outlaw kicks his leg at your groin, but you manage to turn away in time, resulting in a light kick to your leg instead.
>
>incant 1630
You motion forcefully as you confidently call on your patron in the invocation for Judgment...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a human outlaw.
You briefly close your eyes, and the air behind you darkens with a ruddy crimson mist. A faint silver light builds up and emanates from your

hand before your entire arm flashes, becoming solid silver!
A flare of silver energy blasts from the fist of the silver arm, striking a half-krolvin brigand!
CS: +402 - TD: +300 + CvA: -2 + d100: +29 == +129
Warding failed!
The half-krolvin brigand is stricken for 45 points of damage!
... 5 points of damage!
Jarring blow to the half-krolvin brigand's back.
The half-krolvin brigand is driven to his knees!
A flare of silver energy blasts from the fist of the silver arm, striking a human outlaw!
CS: +402 - TD: +294 + CvA: -2 + d100: +18 == +124
Warding failed!
The human outlaw is stricken for 25 points of damage!
... 10 points of damage!
Blow to back cracks several vertebrae.
A flare of silver energy blasts from the fist of the silver arm, striking a halfling brigand!
CS: +402 - TD: +273 + CvA: +1 + d100: +30 == +160
Warding failed!
The halfling brigand is stricken for 54 points of damage!
... 20 points of damage!
Whoosh! Several ribs driven into lungs.
The halfling brigand is stunned!
The halfling brigand is driven to his knees!
A flare of silver energy blasts from the fist of the silver arm, striking an erithian outlaw!
CS: +402 - TD: +273 + CvA: -10 + d100: +7 == +126
Warding failed!
The erithian outlaw is stricken for 45 points of damage!
... 10 points of damage!
Flattened the erithian outlaw's left hand.
The erithian outlaw is driven to his knees!

The silver on your arm cracks and breaks apart before blowing away on an errant breeze.
>
>cman surge
You feel more refreshed.
>
You focus deep within yourself, searching for untapped sources of strength that are not yet exhausted from your still recent prior attempt.
You feel significantly stronger.
>
>ambush
You swing a glaes-hafted shimmering ora warmace at a human outlaw!
AS: +565 vs DS: +333 with AvD: +30 + d100 roll: +62 = +324
... and hit for 95 points of damage!
You hear several snaps as the human outlaw's neck is broken in several places.

[You have 4 kills remaining.]
The human outlaw falls to the ground and dies.
A faint silvery glow fades from around a human outlaw.
A human outlaw recovers from being rebuked, regaining his composure.
Blood continues to bathe your shimmering ora warmace after slaying the outlaw!
Roundtime changed to 3 seconds.
>
>ambush
You swing a glaes-hafted shimmering ora warmace at a halfling brigand!
AS: +565 vs DS: +240 with AvD: +42 + d100 roll: +73 = +440
... and hit for 142 points of damage!
Neck removed, head falls to the ground.

[You have 3 kills remaining.]
The halfling brigand rolls over and dies.
A halfling brigand recovers from being rebuked, regaining his composure.

Necrotic energy from your shimmering ora warmace overflows into you!

You feel energized!
>
A half-krolvin brigand stands up with a grunt.
>
An erithian outlaw stands up with a grunt.
>
...wait 3 seconds.
Your sense of clarity fades.
>
>prepare 1603
You trace a simple symbol as you reverently call on your patron in the prayer for Faith's Clarity...
Your spell is ready.
>
>ambush
You swing a glaes-hafted shimmering ora warmace at an erithian outlaw!
AS: +570 vs DS: +334 with AvD: +36 + d100 roll: +92 = +364
... and hit for 96 points of damage!
Left leg ripped from socket at the knee!
An erithian outlaw falls to the ground grasping his mangled left leg!
The erithian outlaw is stunned!
You feel the unnatural surge of necrotic power wane away.
>
>
At the last moment, you block the attack with your greatshield!
>
An erithian outlaw lies there, dazed and confused.
>
>ambush
You swing a glaes-hafted shimmering ora warmace at an erithian outlaw!
AS: +565 vs DS: +215 with AvD: +36 + d100 roll: +20 = +406
... and hit for 81 points of damage!
Neck broken.
The erithian outlaw twitches several times before dying.

[You have 2 kills remaining.]
The erithian outlaw rolls over and dies.
An erithian outlaw recovers from being rebuked, regaining his composure.
>
A half-krolvin brigand pulls out a small statue and rubs it!
A faint silvery glow surrounds a half-krolvin brigand.
>ambush
You swing a glaes-hafted shimmering ora warmace at a half-krolvin brigand!
AS: +565 vs DS: +292 with AvD: +30 + d100 roll: +31 = +334
... and hit for 94 points of damage!
Neck broken.
The half-krolvin brigand twitches several times before dying.

[You have 1 kills remaining.]
The half-krolvin brigand falls to the ground and dies.
A half-krolvin brigand recovers from being rebuked, regaining his composure.
A faint silvery glow fades from around a half-krolvin brigand.
>
>l
Saplings push up through the wreckage of logging slash piled to either side of the road. The decaying hulk of a massive fallen tree provides a

counterpoint to the vibrant new growth. Saws and axes have turned it into a pair of great bookends on either side of the road. You also see

the Nairdin disk, a half-krolvin brigand that appears dead, a human outlaw that appears dead, a halfling brigand that appears dead, an erithian

outlaw that appears dead and a path leading off to the south, where Greymist Wood sends a dark finger of trees toward the coast.
>loot
loot
You search the half-krolvin brigand.
You discard the brigand's useless equipment.
He didn't carry any silver.
He had nothing of interest.
A half-krolvin brigand decays into compost.
>loot
You search the human outlaw.
You discard the outlaw's useless equipment.
He had 380 silvers on him.
You gather the remaining 380 coins.
He had nothing else of value.
A human outlaw decays into compost.
>loot
You search the halfling brigand.
You discard the brigand's useless equipment.
He had 351 silvers on him.
You gather the remaining 351 coins.
He had a green starstone on him!
A halfling brigand decays into compost.
>
You search the erithian outlaw.
You discard the outlaw's useless equipment.
He didn't carry any silver.
An erithian outlaw decays into compost.
>
The divine force surrounding you slowly fades away.
>
Re: short little paladin guide i wrote cause i was bored before work 06/03/2015 03:09 AM CDT

An example of a swarm against a paladin and what it looks like in invasions while people are killing stuff. keep in mind these critters are much lower than me so it works much better here than then. I'll try to remember to log the next invasion so people can see the difference. the big difference is in an invasion i can't ward everything so 1608 isn't as effective at keeping everything swinging at me. that will change in time as i still have over +100 CS to go with spell ranks. :D

Oh yeah, i added in the funny little troll translations when they speak.
Enjoy

You currently have the following active spells:
Surge of Strength .................. 0:00:14
Crusade Recovery ................... 0:01:24
Armored Fluidity ................... 3:15:04
101 ................................ 0:23:04
102 ................................ 0:32:32
103 ................................ 0:23:08
107 ................................ 0:23:12
115 ................................ 0:23:17
120 ................................ 0:23:21
401 ................................ 1:21:44
406 ................................ 1:21:49
414 ................................ 1:22:26
503 ................................ 1:22:31
509 ................................ 1:22:34
1601 ............................... 0:23:25
1603 ............................... 0:00:09
1605 ............................... 0:23:29
1606 ............................... 0:23:32
1609 ............................... 0:12:37
1610 ............................... 0:23:36
1611 ............................... 0:23:40
1612 ............................... 0:23:44
1613 ............................... 0:23:48
1616 ............................... 0:23:51
1712 ............................... 1:29:17
Symbol of Protection ............... 0:01:08
Symbol of Courage .................. 0:01:08
ESP ................................ 1:08:04

>l
[Greymist Wood, Volcanic Slope]
As the trail makes its way up the steep slope of the volcano, the ground becomes rocky and choked with brambles and scrub brush. Further on up the hillside, a wide expanse of basalt signals the presence of volcanic formations, and all evidence of the living forest dwindles away. You also see a giant fog beetle, a jungle troll, a jungle troll, a jungle troll chieftain, a jungle troll chieftain, the Nairdin disk and a jungle troll.
Obvious paths: northeast, east, southwest, west
>
The giant fog beetle warily backs away, its wings slowly spreading behind it as a precaution.
>
A jungle troll chieftain swings a vine-wrapped rusting bastard sword at you!
You barely manage to block the attack with your greatshield!
>
You skillfully interpose your greatshield between yourself and the attack!
You manage to angle your faewood greatshield just right so that the troll chieftain comes perilously close to the spikes on it!

A spike on your faewood greatshield jabs into the troll chieftain!
... 15 points of damage!
Strike to right hand breaks a fingernail!
>
A giant fog beetle just meandered in.
>
A jungle troll's flesh wounds regenerate slowly.
A jungle troll snarls menacingly as he advances!

A jungle troll swings a bamboo-hilted machete at you!
You gauge the attack and expertly deflect it with your faewood greatshield!
>
>
With no room to spare, you block the attack with your faewood greatshield!
>prep 1608
You motion forcefully as you confidently call on your patron in the invocation for Beacon of Courage...
Your spell is ready.
>
>cast
You gesture.
Motes of lambent white-gold light appear and begin to swirl around you, coalescing into a radiant aura.
--- Lich: exec1 has exited.
CS: +402 - TD: +99 + CvA: +25 + d100: +44 == +372
Warding failed!
A giant fog beetle appears enthralled by the motes of lambent white-gold light.
CS: +402 - TD: +99 + CvA: +25 + d100: +28 == +356
Warding failed!
A giant fog beetle appears enthralled by the motes of lambent white-gold light.
CS: +402 - TD: +93 + CvA: +25 + d100: +80 == +414
Warding failed!
A jungle troll appears enthralled by the motes of lambent white-gold light.
CS: +402 - TD: +93 + CvA: +25 + d100: +62 == +396
Warding failed!
CS: +402 - TD: +87 + CvA: +25 + d100: +8 == +348
Warding failed!
A jungle troll chieftain appears enthralled by the motes of lambent white-gold light.
CS: +402 - TD: +87 + CvA: +25 + d100: +27 == +367
Warding failed!
A jungle troll chieftain appears enthralled by the motes of lambent white-gold light.
CS: +402 - TD: +93 + CvA: +25 + d100: +36 == +370
Warding failed!
>
>
A giant fog beetle snaps at you with its pincer!
You easily block the attack with your faewood greatshield!
>
In the nick of time, you interpose your faewood greatshield between yourself and the attack!
>
A jungle troll chieftain's flesh wounds regenerate slowly.
A jungle troll chieftain's right hand regenerates and looks fully healed.

>
>prepare 1603
>
You trace a simple symbol as you reverently call on your patron in the prayer for Faith's Clarity...
Your spell is ready.
>
>cast
You gesture.
The divine power grants you lucid understanding of the spiritual and you become much more clearly focused.
>
You begin to lose touch with your internal sources of strength.
>
>cman surge
You focus deep within yourself, searching for untapped sources of strength that are not yet exhausted from your still recent prior attempt.
>
You skillfully block the attack with your greatshield!
>
>
>
With extreme effort, you block the attack with your greatshield!
>
With no room to spare, you block the attack with your faewood greatshield!
>
>
A giant fog beetle rears up momentarily and hisses loudly. A huge cloud of green gas pours from an orifice on the creature's underside!
The cloud of gas rolls in your direction. You scramble out of the way and easily avoid it.
>
You feel at full magical power again.
chu
>
You manage to angle your faewood greatshield just right so that the jungle troll comes perilously close to the spikes on it!

A spike on your faewood greatshield jabs into the jungle troll!
... 15 points of damage!
Strike to right hand breaks a fingernail!
>
>
>
>
With incredible finesse, you deflect the attack with your faewood greatshield!
>
You skillfully deflect the attack with your warmace!
>
>
A jungle troll's right hand regenerates and looks fully healed.

>
A jungle troll snarls menacingly as she advances!

>
In the nick of time, you interpose your faewood greatshield between yourself and the attack!
>
>
>
A jungle troll chieftain shouts, "Ird t'sum snramugh larlor'ra!"
>
[translation: All humans must die!]
You barely manage to fend off the attack with your warmace!
>
AS: +209 vs DS: +528 with AvD: +12 + d100 roll: +46 = -261
A clean miss.
>
A jungle troll's eyes take on a yellow tinge as she begins to howl!
>
>
>
>prepare 1603
>
With blinding speed, you block the attack with your greatshield!
>
>
Your spell is ready.
>
>cast
You gesture.
>
>stance off
>
A jungle troll yells out, "R'rdr'rghumri lar'rar'rghutran'nru dnra lor'ruof tsomri sirght 'gn'r'vr lurlar'rir'w ir!"
>
A jungle troll's eyes take on a yellow tinge as she begins to howl!
>
[translation: I will avenge this most foul and unnatural murder!]
AS: +209 vs DS: +424 with AvD: +12 + d100 roll: +34 = -169
A clean miss.
>
>
>
>
>
* Guennwhfar joins the adventure.
>
>
>
A jungle troll bellows, "Rasr ot grnirght r'vr'lar ra fo r'knirght tnra ir!"
>
[translation: I cant think of another(?) thing to say!]
>
AS: +212 vs DS: +424 with AvD: +13 + d100 roll: +40 = -159
A clean miss.
>
>
A giant fog beetle just meandered in.
>stance for
You are now in a forward stance.
>
>
AS: +209 vs DS: +528 with AvD: +12 + d100 roll: +51 = -256
A clean miss.
>
A jungle troll snarls menacingly as she advances!

You skillfully interpose your warmace between yourself and the incoming strike, deflecting it harmlessly to the side!
>
>
The giant fog beetle warily backs away, its wings slowly spreading behind it as a precaution.
>
>
You gauge the attack and expertly parry it with your shimmering ora warmace!
>
The layer of protection fades away.
>
You feel the extra courage wane.
>
>
You manage to angle your faewood greatshield just right so that the giant fog beetle comes perilously close to the spikes on it!

A spike on your faewood greatshield jabs into the giant fog beetle!
... 1 point of damage!
>
>symbol of courage
You feel more courageous.
>
>symbol of protection
You feel a layer of protection surround you.
>
>
The aura of lambent white-gold light motes surrounding you dissipates slowly, winking out of existence.
>
>
AS: +209 vs DS: +528 with AvD: +12 + d100 roll: +90 = -217
A clean miss.
>
>
>
>prepare 1603
Your spell is ready.
>
>cast
You gesture.
[Spell Hindrance for a suit of silver vultite platemail is 8% with current Armor Use skill, d100= 1]
Your armor prevents the spell from working correctly.
>
>
A jungle troll chieftain grunts, pointing at you!
A faint buzzing sound fills the area for a moment, then quickly fades away.
>
A jungle troll chieftain growls, "Sr'vrlar 'ird!"
A jungle troll chieftain grunts, pointing at you!
You feel no effect from the sounds.
[translation: Die elves!]
Re: short little paladin guide i wrote cause i was bored before work 06/09/2015 12:54 PM CDT

in the first post I said you get HDW+ from 1608, typo. it's 1618, not 1608.

Damage weighting bonus begins at base HDW and is increased with training in Spiritual Lore, Blessings.
RE: Typical Lich Landing tower hunt 06/11/2015 09:49 PM CDT
Just to give an example of a typical fight

>l
[Banshee Tower, Third Floor]
Water glistens, like icy fingers trailing down the opaque walls. The air is chillingly cold and the floor is almost slippery. You also see a shrilling pale specter, some pale mist descending to the second floor and a series of glistening black roots stretching across the bloodstained ground.
Obvious exits: west

>cman surge
You focus deep within yourself, searching for untapped sources of strength.
[ Surge of Strength: +0:01:30, 0:01:30 remaining. ]
[ Surge of Strength Cooldown: +0:03:00, 0:03:00 remaining. ]
>stance off
>ambush
You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at a shrilling pale specter!
AS: +432 vs DS: +401 with AvD: +39 + d100 roll: +26 = +96
A clean miss.
R>mut
You mutter something inaudible.
R>prep 1614
You trace your patron's holy symbol in the air, using it to focus your invocation of Aura of the Arkati.
Your spell is ready.
>ca
You gesture.
CS: +374 - TD: +240 + CvA: +20 + d100: +43 == +197
Warding failed!
A shrilling pale specter gapes in awe, visibly struggling against your radiant aura!
>stance def
Cast Round Time in effect: Setting stance to guarded.
>
You feel fully energetic again.
>prep divine strike
You trace your patron's holy symbol in the air, using it to focus your invocation of Divine Strike.
Your spell is ready.
>ca spec
You gesture at a shrilling pale specter.
A pillar of darkness manifests around a shrilling pale specter.
CS: +374 - TD: +240 + CvA: +20 + d100: +79 == +233
Warding failed!
Waves of sacred energy tear through the pale specter's body!
... 68 points of damage!
... 70 points of damage!
Amazing shot cleaves the torso in half at the waist!
You watch agape as the misty form knits itself back together!
>stance off
>ambush
You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at a shrilling pale specter!
AS: +432 vs DS: +334 with AvD: +39 + d100 roll: +71 = +208
... and hit for 120 points of damage!
Strong attack separates head from shoulders.
Head disappears in the breeze as a new one forms on the pale specter's shoulders!
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the pale specter's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
The pale specter slowly settles to the ground and begins to dissipate.

R>sear spec
You search the pale specter.
You discard the specter's useless equipment.
It had 63 silvers on it.
You gather the remaining 63 coins.
It had nothing else of value.
A shrilling pale specter vanishes into thin air, leaving no trace behind.

RE: Typical Lich Landing tower hunt 06/11/2015 09:56 PM CDT
Not trying to toot my horn. Just showing that we can take a hit.

A gnarled large black root claws at you!
AS: +540 vs DS: +259 with AvD: +7 + d100 roll: +65 = +353
... and hits for 24 points of damage!
Nice puncture to the back, just grazed the spine!
R>
A twisted black tree spirit whistles a soft, malicious tune!

RE: Typical Lich Landing tower hunt 06/12/2015 01:15 AM CDT
>>Not trying to toot my horn. Just showing that we can take a hit.<<

It's a bloody root! A stick, and not even a hard one; roots in general are flexible, so I'm guessing it hits like a whip. Whips are pretty crummy weapons in general, and really suck vs plate mail; look at that awful AvD. If someone had hit you with that AS using a maul or lance, you would have felt it more.

::This space for rent::

RE: Typical Lich Landing tower hunt 06/12/2015 11:10 AM CDT
True true... but I find when fighting n'ecere's at The Rift with 200+ roll it's typically averages between 20 - 30 damage. I can't think of any beasties off hand that use a lance. Granted, my plate has masterful damage padding shrug But still.. we can get plate that reduces damage / crit etc. That's all I'm trying to show and mind you that's when I'm zealoted. Now imagine a paladin that's sword/board and using Divine Shield as opposed to zealot and stance dancing. They could easily use beacon of courage and play tank.

RE: Typical Lich Landing tower hunt 06/12/2015 02:43 PM CDT
>>It's a bloody root! A stick, and not even a hard one; roots in general are flexible, so I'm guessing it hits like a whip. Whips are pretty crummy weapons in general, and really suck vs plate mail; look at that awful AvD. If someone had hit you with that AS using a maul or lance, you would have felt it more.

claw vs plate. DF = .175. Source: https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Claw

It's like using a falchion vs plate, albeit with 14 less AvD.

A gnarled large black root claws at you!
AS: +540 vs DS: +259 with AvD: +7 + d100 roll: +65 = +353
... and hits for 24 points of damage!
Nice puncture to the back, just grazed the spine!

outcome_margin = 253;
df = 0.175;
raw_damage == (outcome * df).round == 44 == Rank 4 Critical vs Plate.
crit_damage == rank 2 puncture critical == 10
total_damage == 54
approximate_damage_reduction == 1 - ((24 + 6 + rand(0..18)) / 54) == 1 - ((30 to 48) / 54) == 1 - (30 / 54) to 1 - (48 / 54) == 44.4% to 11.1%. I'd guess you have somewhere around 30% Damage Reduction! Not too shabby.

As an aside, N'ecare use falchions and maces, both of which have the same DF as a claw. So the above is a great analog for N'ecare.

>>They could easily use beacon of courage and play tank.

Unfortunately, this is not accurate against like-level creatures. You would get rekt in Minotaurs (10 levels lower than N'ecare!) and definitely rekt in the Bowels (similar level to N'ecare), with or without zealot running. Minotaurs frequently mstrike with Battle Axes with +85 standard AS for around 450ish AS. That would mean the average strike rage mstrike against you while running zealot would like like below. It really goes off the rails when they prone you with their charge maneuver or bull rush. I also don't know how your DS is so high. I have 264 DS self-spelled with 5x tower shield, 2x shield use, 1x dodge, 2x ohb, 4x full plate. You're using THW and Zealot with 259 DS?!?

A minotaur warrior lets loose with an enormous bellow, his crimson eyes bulging in a mad rage!
In an awe inspiring display of combat mastery, a minotaur warrior engages you in a furious dance macabre, spiralling into a blur of strikes and ripostes!
A minotaur warrior swings a lustrous steel battle axe at you!
AS: +453 vs DS: +259 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +25 = +251
151 * .275 = 42 raw_damage!

AS: +453 vs DS: +259 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +50 = +276
176 * .275 = 48 raw_damage!

AS: +453 vs DS: +259 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +75 = +291
191 * .275 = 53 raw_damage!
RE: Typical Lich Landing tower hunt 06/12/2015 05:02 PM CDT
While I was doing minos, I always did the stance dance and never engaged with them without prior divine strike or at least a trial (1602) upon them. Bandits are nasty and usually they are the culprit of deaths when getting stuck in RT with no CC going on.

RE: Typical Lich Landing tower hunt 06/12/2015 05:13 PM CDT
My apologies.. I forgot to mention: I'm using a THW, 6x master damage padded full plate, and I 1x in Dodge each training. Dodge is your best friend when wielding a 2 hander. Sometimes I wish Divine Shield would give a parry option but that's likely never going to happen no matter how many times me and others keep bringing it up <shrug>

Anyway.. with the right armor and the player stays in defense, a paladin can still put beacon of courage to use if they are just going to "taunt". That means you can use spell 102 as well to give more umph to defense. However; Sword / Board builds are much more suited for playing tanks since they use Divine Shield and thus take full advantage of blocking. Throw in an empath or two, and the paladin can keep taunting, crusader and every so often Aura or Judgement (When safe of course). It's just a thought. Of course.. that's more of an invasion scenario - possibly when doing bandits or even going to Lich's Landing etc.

RE: Typical Lich Landing tower hunt 06/12/2015 05:15 PM CDT
Could be I just had a string of really bad luck; being prone then rekt by the mstrikes.

Oh, this is super fun, too. The Minotaur Magus can empower the Minotaur Warrior such that when you block an attack from the Warrior, it renders your shield arm numb, thereby reducing or removing your ability to block (and I think reducing or removing your Block DS). It's ... not awesome.
RE: Typical Lich Landing tower hunt 06/12/2015 05:17 PM CDT
What plate are you wearing if I may ask?

RE: Typical Lich Landing tower hunt 06/12/2015 05:23 PM CDT
>>Anyway.. with the right armor and the player stays in defense, a paladin can still put beacon of courage to use if they are just going to "taunt". That means you can use spell 102 as well to give more umph to defense. However; Sword / Board builds are much more suited for playing tanks since they use Divine Shield and thus take full advantage of blocking. Throw in an empath or two, and the paladin can keep taunting, crusader and every so often Aura or Judgement (When safe of course). It's just a thought. Of course.. that's more of an invasion scenario - possibly when doing bandits or even going to Lich's Landing etc.

You seriously just gave me my new grimswarm party-hunting strategy! Oh my god, I'm so excited, seriously. Thanks!

Throw on 102, 1619, and 140 (when I learn it) and just kinda be like this: https://youtu.be/D1oJFbPr5X8?t=34s
RE: Typical Lich Landing tower hunt 06/12/2015 05:26 PM CDT
You're welcome. Disclaimer though: I don't know if beacon will or not work in those camps. I do know that beacon doesn't work on bandits, so now I'm curious.

Beacon won't stop CMs from happening to others, as I learned when taking my paladin's wife to Bonespear. Dybbuks, waerns, etc would bite her hand but the attacks were still on my paladin.

RE: Typical Lich Landing tower hunt 06/12/2015 05:31 PM CDT
>>Beacon won't stop CMs from happening to others, as I learned when taking my paladin's wife to Bonespear. Dybbuks, waerns, etc would bite her hand but the attacks were still on my paladin.

So it doesn't stop Standard Maneuver Roll attacks. Does it stop CML attacks?
RE: Typical Lich Landing tower hunt 06/12/2015 05:44 PM CDT
I highly recommend going to duskruin arena when you can to get resistance on the plate (With no negative effects) - there's plenty to choose from.. slash, puncture, crushing, heat, etc. https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Duskruin_Arena

Typically I put Divine Strike in my katana (two charges with my lore atm).

RE: Typical Lich Landing tower hunt 06/12/2015 05:46 PM CDT
>>What plate are you wearing if I may ask?

4x Full Plate. No mods.
4x Perfect Morning Star.
5x Sancted Tower Shield. Box Found.
RE: Typical Lich Landing tower hunt 06/12/2015 05:46 PM CDT
I need more coffee or something.. CML?? If it helps, everything else is aimed at me minus the combat manuevers. Somewhere (Maybe in this thread but it's in the paladin forum) there's a post of us asking about beacon of courage. I'll try to find it. I think it's in the paladin spells forum.

RE: Typical Lich Landing tower hunt 06/12/2015 06:01 PM CDT
>>I highly recommend going to duskruin arena when you can to get resistance on the plate (With no negative effects) - there's plenty to choose from.. slash, puncture, crushing, heat, etc. https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Duskruin_Arena

Crush Resistance for the Bowels. Puncture resistance for pole charge / pikes in Nelemar. Slash resistance for Plane 4 Crawler Burrows. Awesome!

Again, thank you!
RE: Typical Lich Landing tower hunt 06/12/2015 06:02 PM CDT
CML == Combat Maneuver List (e.g., Hamstring, Bullrush, Tackle)
SMR == Standard Maneuver Roll (e.g., Krynch Roll, Crawler Burrow, Waern Bite)
RE: Typical Lich Landing tower hunt 06/12/2015 06:11 PM CDT
Isnt that just sunder shield that the mino warriors use? Its been a while since I hunted there and I used a Katana for most of it when I did so I never noticed if they only did it when Magi were around. That cman is devastating for shield users and an awesome one for warriors. Part of me kinda wishes more creatures would use it though.
RE: Typical Lich Landing tower hunt 06/12/2015 07:07 PM CDT
>>Isnt that just sunder shield that the mino warriors use?

No. It's like CMan Sunder Shield but the Mino attack triggers when your characters blocks their attack. There is no CML roll.

>>That cman is devastating for shield users and an awesome one for warriors. Part of me kinda wishes more creatures would use it though.

Vvrael Destroyers use it, and it's insane. You might as well just call it a day when they do; what follows is almost certainly death with their claid/maul mstrike of 4 or 5 attacks (can't remember if it's 4 or 5). They are also coded to put you into offensive before going HAM on you, sometimes offensive + prone.

I was a Bard in the Scatter and Sonic Shields are immune to Sunder Shield just like Sonic Weapons are immune to Disarm, but I've seen those with shields just crumble after being Sundered. Another reason Bards are so incredibly good. The Southern Scatter was actually pretty dang easy for me, but the loot wasn't worth the trouble getting there and back.