help in my 20s 10/17/2014 10:59 PM CDT
Hello everyone, I just came back from a 2 1/2year break and i am completely lost. I am getting beat up pretty bad by like lvl and even under lvl critters not sure what i am doing wrong. skills are as follows,

Armor Use..........................| 144 44
Combat Maneuvers...................| 96 22
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 144 44
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 54 11
Physical Fitness...................| 96 22
Dodging............................| 96 22
Harness Power......................| 96 22
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 10 2
Survival...........................| 90 20
Perception.........................| 50 10
Climbing...........................| 70 15
Swimming...........................| 70 15

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 17
stats,
Strength (STR): 67 (13) ... 67 (13)
Constitution (CON): 69 (9) ... 73 (11)
Dexterity (DEX): 76 (13) ... 76 (13)
Agility (AGL): 82 (16) ... 82 (16)
Discipline (DIS): 54 (2) ... 54 (2)
Aura (AUR): 86 (18) ... 86 (18)
Logic (LOG): 91 (25) ... 91 (25)
Intuition (INT): 83 (21) ... 83 (21)
Wisdom (WIS): 79 (14) ... 79 (14)
Influence (INF): 60 (5) ... 60 (5)
and CMans,
Feint feint 2
Specialization I wspec1 2
Surge of Strength surge 1
Thanks for the help.
Re: help in my 20s 10/18/2014 04:21 AM CDT
Nothing really odd or strange going on in this build that I can see at a glance. MOC you can probably drop to 5 ranks, but either way aim for a threshold with it.

Ranks Unfocused Swings Focused Swings
5 2 -
153 -
30 - 2
35 4 -
55 - 3
60 5 -

I had a bit of trouble hunting 2HW around 20s as well. I'd converted a level 19 warrior from a decade ago to a paladin. I had trouble with krolvin actually, and most classes I've hunted them with are not difficult. I found hunting undead generally a lot easier.

Solhaven: the wights and woodsmen are pretty easy.

Landing: zombies and moaning spirits (GY rather than Anwyn) are simple.

If it's a wight or a tree spirit etc that cast Boil Earth, try to 1615 them after you see them do a spell preparation.

Personally I like Surge of Strength a lot. If you're not in GoS you have mostly nothing to do with Stamina and with 1607 and a couple ranks of Surge, can basically keep it up all the time. But I also play halflings.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: help in my 20s 10/18/2014 04:32 AM CDT
> Paladin............................| 17

But Crusade is definitely good enough to get. And if not that, why not any spirituals? 101, 103, 107 are all really good. (My paladin is mid 40s and still doesn't have 101 so, it's up to taste of course.)

And I assume you're using all your buff spells: 1601, 1605, 1606, 1610, 1611, 1612, 1613, 1616. (This is just a double check...)

Getting spells from other classes is also fairly easy. At least the minor elementals you'd like to have most of the time, and whatever wizard and ranger spells you can get are good. Of course, if you're stuggling to hit stuff, either stop using a claidhmore or get Strength.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: help in my 20s 10/18/2014 08:51 AM CDT
Thanks for the quick replies. I am in Gos. Use a flamberge to cheap for a claidmore, Unless the market on them tanked. Hittting things isn't really the issue getting smacked around is. Where should I move the points to from MoC too?
Re: help in my 20s 10/18/2014 09:39 AM CDT
Dodging............................| 96 22
Harness Power......................| 96 22
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 10 2

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 17

My two cents:
- You need at least 2x in defense skills. Since you are using a Two-Handed weapon that would mean 2x in Dodging.
- Gunning for plate is nice but you still need to survive the next 30 levels or so before you get there. Stop your armor training at the corresponding armor levels (assuming you are wearing brig right now that would be 30 armor ranks) and then train it up when you can achieve the next target level (Chain Hauberk/MBP requires at least 70 armor ranks).
- Paladin TPs are extremely tight at lower levels. I wasn't able to start training Survival, Perception, Climbing, Swimming until later. I would recommend training only what you absolutely need in these for the areas you are hunting (or will be hunting soon). Later on (mid 50s) you can start catching up on these skills.
- Drop your Harness Power back to level (vs. full 1x), it will free up a few training points for the cost of only 2 points of mana.
- I trained MOC at 1x up to 35 ranks and then stopped there for some time. I don't necessarily agree with stopping at 5/15/etc as each rank of MOC does provide additional benefit against multiple opponents (assuming you are hunting in areas where you are facing 3+ opponents at one time).
- Outside spells make a huge difference at low levels. Assuming you aren't opposed to it for RP reasons or because you like the added challenge I would recommend getting a full wizard spell up before hunting which will provide quite a lot of additional defense).
- Taking a few of the low level 100 spells (101, 102, 103) can help boost your defense as well. 102 penalizes your AS but I found it useful to keep up at times for the added defense.

-- Robert
Re: help in my 20s 10/18/2014 07:17 PM CDT
I am wearing a 4x chain shirt should i go back to brig?
Re: help in my 20s 10/18/2014 07:19 PM CDT
>> I am wearing a 4x chain shirt should i go back to brig?

Not at all. I just assumed you stopped at brig for some reason. If you are swapping out your armor as your training allows then you are getting the benefit of the training.

-- Robert
Re: help in my 20s 10/18/2014 11:10 PM CDT
got a sancted weapon from EG and not having to worry about blessings is great, am i just having a bad luck streak or are zombies poor?
Re: help in my 20s 10/19/2014 07:06 AM CDT
>zombies poor?

dirt poor, except the boxes the script hunters tend to leave laying around.

Re: help in my 20s 10/19/2014 09:57 AM CDT

Yup... I hate script hunters. I can't tell you how many times I saw them while I was doing bandits or something else but, since I try to not be a jerk, I tend to try to avoid doing Judgement or any other Area Spell though at the costs of my own defense since I don't want to chance somebody being awake and reporting me. However; I'm at a point where I'm considering rolling the dice on it since it's been happening a lot more often lately which ended up the result of my non scripting hunting death. <shrug>

A note too: Sometimes script hunters pawn items that are worthwhile at the pawnshop and you can get lucky sometimes so it does pay to check from time to time for rare items (golvern, veil iron items etc etc) IF you are willing to spend the time it takes to sell them for what they are worth.

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: help in my 20s 10/19/2014 01:46 PM CDT
alos my RT is 6seconds should i drop to brig till my str catches up?
Re: help in my 20s 10/19/2014 08:29 PM CDT
Round Time is primarily a factor of the weapon speed of the weapon you are using and your Agility/Dexterity bonus.

You can read up on the Agility/Dex bonus impact here: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/AGIDEX

If the chain armor you are wearing is Torso only coverage then you have sufficient armor training to wear it without any RT penalty so going back to brig armor likely won't help. You can tell the coverage it provides by INSPECTing your armor.

It may be worth considering a faster weapon or looking into enhancives to boost your Agility or Dex bonus to get you down to a 5 seconds Round Time. Depending on what you are fighting that 1 second difference can be pretty huge.

Also, assuming you are 'stance dancing' when you are hunting. Staying in defensive stance, stancing offensive, swinging, stancing back to defensive and waiting for the critter to swing before striking again. If not, this is something that would be worth practicing as well to avoid some of those crippling/killing blows.

-- Robert
Re: help in my 20s 10/20/2014 12:08 PM CDT
>A note too: Sometimes script hunters pawn items that are worthwhile at the pawnshop and you can get lucky sometimes so it does pay to check from time to time for rare items (golvern, veil iron items etc etc) IF you are willing to spend the time it takes to sell them for what they are worth.

You can pretty much buy things the gemshop likes straight off the table for profit. It's usually like a few thousand silvers once in awhile if you try. Just got 1.5k profit on a torc, and would have been another 1k but I kept the tiara since the NPC cleric Sal in RR likes them.

From earlier in the thread, Robert said:
- You need at least 2x in defense skills. Since you are using a Two-Handed weapon that would mean 2x in Dodging.

I do fine with 1x Dodge. I kind of count CM as a "defensive skill". With Dauntless and Mobility (assuming you can get it), Dodge is looking pretty solid. My paladin only died once from a situation that more Dodge was likely to have made a difference (Major E-wave crit...usually survive). That being said, if you can find the points, Dodge is an excellent skill. But I wasn't planning to get it to 2x until sometime nearing the 60s perhaps.

Re: help in my 20s 10/20/2014 01:17 PM CDT
DAID
My paladin only died once from a situation that more Dodge was likely to have made a difference (Major E-wave crit...usually survive).

Minor and Major Elemental Wave are not affected by Dodge training. In fact, pretty much most of the maneuver based attacks in the game are not. If we ever get around to updating the standard maneuver roll, it'll probably incorporate dodge; it just didn't exist when the former was created.

GameMaster Estild
Re: help in my 20s 10/21/2014 02:27 PM CDT
went ahead and tried to grab some more dodge, dropped the two harness power and religion skills. may try to 1.5 or 1.25 is dodge just cause ever bit helps. hunting Zombies Atm there dirt poor but a pretty easy hunt. along with whatever the adventure guild gives me.

Dodging............................| 108 26
Harness Power......................| 90 20
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 0 0
Re: help in my 20s 10/22/2014 09:56 AM CDT
As a fellow two handed weapon paladin, I'd recommend to just 1x in Dodge per training. Are you going to get CMs soon? Those will help you survive and slay your foes better. I'm guessing you're at least 1xing in spells? Otherwise you're looking pretty sharp. Just remember, stance dance.. don't use zealot unless you have decent armor and are able to slay/crowd control your foes fast. Otherwise you'll experience its diminishing returns! <grin>

Re: help in my 20s 10/22/2014 11:14 AM CDT

As a two handeder, what cmans are the standards? I have surge, wspec and faint.
Re: help in my 20s 10/22/2014 05:56 PM CDT
>>I have surge, wspec and faint.<<

1) I wouldn't get more than 1 rank of surge; for no good reason, the higher ranks offer much less benefit.
2) wspec is ok, but perhaps something else might be better right now. Mind you, cman skills with only 1-2 ranks are pretty unreliable.
3) Fainting in front of your foes is definitely not recommended. Feint, on the other hand, is useful, as is disarm.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: help in my 20s 10/22/2014 08:40 PM CDT
I'm a sword/board paladin, but feint is the only active cman I have. It's amazing and you should probably max it ASAP.

Between feint, 1615, and shield bash setup is generally taken care of. I don't think of of the cmans accessible compare to shield bash anyway, so max feint and pickup passives that cover areas you feel weak. Getting plinked? Take toughness. Getting warded? Take focus.
Re: help in my 20s 10/23/2014 08:52 AM CDT
I disagree that the higher ranks offer "much less" benefit. (Specifically, having only a minimal cooldown wait between activations means that it doesn't bother me if I'm having to wander around to find a critter to slaughter.)

However, I will grant that the degree of improvement from one rank to the next is generally much less than the degree of improvement from 0 ranks to the 1st one.
(Kind of like how in the RoleMaster system the first rank was +5, and so were the next nine after that... but a skill that you had zero (0) ranks in, you were at -25 effective skill [possibly only offset by 'plus stat bonus']. So the 'degree of improvement' for learning that single first rank was +30 [from -25 up to +5], which was hugely worthwhile.)
Re: help in my 20s 10/25/2014 03:40 AM CDT
>>1) I wouldn't get more than 1 rank of surge; for no good reason, the higher ranks offer much less benefit.

>I disagree that the higher ranks offer "much less" benefit. (Specifically, having only a minimal cooldown wait between activations means that it doesn't bother me if I'm having to wander around to find a critter to slaughter.)

>However, I will grant that the degree of improvement from one rank to the next is generally much less than the degree of improvement from 0 ranks to the 1st one.

It's definitely to each their own. Surge is hands down the best CMAN for my case (halfling) and I've it up to 3 right now. By rank 3 with 1607, basically I keep it up perpetually while hunting. It's probably most relevant to compare to WSPEC, but one must consider that encumbrance and ability to drag people, etc, is affected by Surge, which with a few ranks (and again, assuming not in GoS so nothing else to use stamina for) it can nearly be considered as a passive skill.

Flail, your Combat Maneuver training is as follows:
Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Combat Movement cmovement 1
Feint feint 1
Precision precision 1
Specialization I wspec1 1
Combat Toughness toughness 1
Surge of Strength surge 3
Available Combat Maneuver Training Points: 2

CMOVEMENT was just a cheap DS boost. I have one FEINT to unlock the skill, and use it a couple times a week probably (and don't seem to need more, as of yet). PRECISION is because I use a flail so, avoid puncture mostly. WSPEC I could put more into soon. TOUGHNESS I mostly do for lulz because having 167 HP is a halfling is funny (but useful). At some point I was asking about advice on CMANs but I found people had such varying opinions that I could pretty much just do whatever I wanted.

>Minor and Major Elemental Wave are not affected by Dodge training. In fact, pretty much most of the maneuver based attacks in the game are not. If we ever get around to updating the standard maneuver roll, it'll probably incorporate dodge; it just didn't exist when the former was created.

1x Dodge should be totally fine then. Not really sure how in the 20s or even 30s one would find the points to squeeze in 2x Dodge. THW training costs more than OHE.

Re: help in my 20s 10/25/2014 08:56 AM CDT

Daid... got me curious. 167 health as a halfling, but is that with or without vigor and how much blessling lore (that effects vigor)?

I, myself, don't have toughness although I'm considering it for later if / when I can 2x in CMs (right now I'm a lil over 1x). My Sylvan paladin, btw, has 174 at the moment with vigor. I don't use spirital blessing lore at the moment since I'm working on both getting 1650 (yes I know it's not implemented, but still doesn't hurt for the CS boost and I'm assuming by the time I DO hit 89 trains that it'll be implemented. Regardless, I'd rather just get it out of the way so I can learn how to fight with what I'll "realistically" have), and then getting another 25 ranks Summoning Spirital Lore to unlock the self Aid the Fallen so I can return my corpse to a much safer place since it seems these days I rarely get help when I'm in less than friendly areas...

If curious, I have 3 Surge of Strenth, 5 in Wspec, 2 in Combat Movement, and 2 or 3 in Side by Side

Re: help in my 20s 10/26/2014 04:46 AM CDT
>Daid... got me curious. 167 health as a halfling, but is that with or without vigor and how much blessling lore (that effects vigor)?

No lores yet. (Used to have some, but dropped them to get 1640 w/ SMC @25, and now training for full plate.) With Vigor (1616) of course. Base Constitution is 81 (+25) but since I have 1640 that side of the increases is maxed out (so 91 (+35)). Or that's plus 20 HP since Vigor gives 2x its CON bonus in HP.

Halfling at 100 HP, then my natural CON puts it to 125. Vigor puts it to 145. Combat toughness rank 1 is +15 HP. So 160. And I found a +3 HP torc which of course no one wanted to buy so I kept it.

So, besides other enhancives, you hit on the source of further HP increase: Spiritual Lore for Vigor. Of course, more Toughness is possible, but I imagine I'm unlikely to find 12 CMAN points worth +10 HP. (Or the third rank which is even worse.)

Re: help in my 20s 10/26/2014 04:48 AM CDT
I like how my calculation came to 163 and my value is 167. Anyway, uh, there's some extra sneaking in there somewhere!

Re: help in my 20s 10/30/2014 04:00 PM CDT
>>Surge is hands down the best CMAN for my case (halfling) and I've it up to 3 right now. <<

Ah; yes, the usefulness of surge is somewhat situational. I can see it being useful for a halfling or gnome to get additional ranks. I have a half elf with a strength of 100. She also has an enhancive item that adds +8 to strength, and keeps a huge supply of amulets embedded with 509. (She grabbed 15 ranks MIU, so she has no trouble using these). So, she basically just uses surge rarely if she wants the additional +8 AS.

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: help in my 20s 10/30/2014 04:23 PM CDT
It comes handy with invasions as of late and it certainly doesn't hurt if you aren't using other stamina requiring CMANs. It's just case by case. I'm not going further than 3 ranks, myself, with Surge as I don't see a reason to grab the 4th and 5th rank at the costs knowing I can get feint or something else when I do finally 2x in CMs

Beware of the Mighty Falvikob!
- Kobold in Disguise Falvicar

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

Re: help in my 20s 10/30/2014 04:23 PM CDT
>>Minor and Major Elemental Wave are not affected by Dodge training. In fact, pretty much most of the maneuver based attacks in the game are not.<<

How about things like Boil Earth? I have a level 55 rogue with 2.5x dodge, and she gets hit by the stone giants with this spell maybe 10% of the times they cast it, or perhaps even less than that. I have been attributing this to her dodge skill.

>> If we ever get around to updating the standard maneuver roll, it'll probably incorporate dodge; <<

Seriously guys; you have GOT to do this. Training 3x in dodge should make you very hard to hit.