Only way I seem to die lately 04/26/2018 09:20 PM CDT
[Roll result: 266 (open d100: 232)]
A human thug springs upon you from behind and delivers a blow to your head!
You feel paralyzed and are driven to your knees!

I then get stuck in offensive, kneeling, in perma RT and just...die. Rather frustrating. Anything that can be done about this (whatever it is)?
Re: Only way I seem to die lately 04/27/2018 02:20 AM CDT
I feel your pain. Personally I'm fixskilling back to tower shield and protective wall. Even if you're in RT and get dropped to knees or prone they won't be able to hit ya then.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: Only way I seem to die lately 04/27/2018 08:40 AM CDT
1) How often are you getting an open result like that?
(He barely had +34 on you, so he would normally hit only about one time in three...)

2) Beseech?
Re: Only way I seem to die lately 04/27/2018 09:16 AM CDT
Do what I do with bandit tasks on all my characters: ASK ALANNA ABOUT REMOVE

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Only way I seem to die lately 04/27/2018 01:35 PM CDT
If I remember right, Symbol of Restoration works while paralyzed. Either that or in nets... I'm pretty sure I used to use it in at least one of those situations. And I was 2x Physical Fitness starting around level 60 for a lot of redux and for avoiding the many things that cast (at the time) Boil Earth in that level range, so the bandits needed lucky weapons (THWs) and good timing on their mstrikes to outlast me.

https://gswiki.play.net/Leafiara - last update: Rise of Rone events and aftermath
Re: Only way I seem to die lately 04/29/2018 12:12 AM CDT
> 1) How often are you getting an open result like that?

Often enough, that my last three deaths have been the exact same scenario. If they all didn't happen in my current level (75) then it was in my previous level.

> 2) Beseech?

Doesn't get you out of this, I tried. Prop up is maxed as well, and doesn't stand me up.

Will have to try and do like others said here, and either remove, or start cranking up PF. I've even trained in the maneuver that gives me more defense against maneuvers (name escapes me).

Thanks all.
Re: Only way I seem to die lately 04/29/2018 12:13 AM CDT
I'll try to remember that for next time it happens, may save my butt.
Re: Only way I seem to die lately 04/29/2018 08:59 AM CDT
>> I then get stuck in offensive, kneeling, in perma RT and just...die. Rather frustrating. Anything that can be done about this (whatever it is)?

With my capped Paladin I don't find bandits to be that challenging (it's pretty easy to wait through an RT locks they throw my way and then clean up on the back end) so am assuming some training or spell differences here. My paladin is pretty much my only character that I choose to solo hunt bandits with:

- Are you using a shield? That obviously adds some to your defense and gives you a chance to block some of the incoming blows. You mentioned Prop Up (which is a shield ability) but it doesn't work in the way you referenced it (see below).

- Are you running around in Offensive Stance or are their maneuvers doing this to you? I typically travel from room to room in Defensive stance, and then once they start leaping out I open with 1630. You can also use open cast 1602 to pull them out of hiding and slow them down (once you are out of any RT lock they have placed you in).

- I know a lot of folks are all about the 'offense is the best defense' approach to the game but if you are running around with 1617-Zealot up you might consider swapping it out for 1609-Divine Shield when hunting bandits. For my own hunting style, I pretty much never use 1617-Zealot.

- Spells: I typically hunt with my own spells and then a set of wizard spells as well (nothing else). Without wizard spells I can still hunt bandits without dying but then I spend more time eating herbs after some of the battles. If you don't have easy access to wizard spells, using a small statue in place of the wizard spells would provides a similar defensive benefit in helping to survive any bandit RT lock.

My typical bandit combat encounter would look something like this:
- Enter the room.
- Bandits start popping out.
- Waiting ensues if they get any maneuvers off
- Open cast 1630 (or 1602 if you are concerned about hitting people in a crowded area).
- Stance Offensive
- Open Mstrike
- Then start plucking them off with ambush shots to the head with some shield bashing thrown in for fun when they stand up (assuming you opened with 1630).

Prop Up Description: You have learned how to rely on your shield like another arm to prop yourself up.
Mechanics: Gain a 1/3 chance per rank to avoid being knocked to the ground due to critical damage. Gain a +5 bonus per rank against Sweep, Tackle, Bullrush, and Hamstring attacks.

For reference and comparison: My paladin is a sword and board pally - I have +32 full plate (it also has the benefit of being HCP but that certainly isn't required), a +35 great shield, and an 8x bastard sword for gear comparison. Thinking about this.. maybe the HCP is reducing the RT on the maneuvers a bit but I am leaning towards not.

Recently capped training as follows:

>skill
Chaqual (at level 100), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 276 176
Shield Use.........................| 302 202
Combat Maneuvers...................| 259 159
Edged Weapons......................| 302 202
Ambush.............................| 140 40
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 160 60
Physical Fitness...................| 201 101
Harness Power......................| 200 100
Spirit Mana Control................| 105 25
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 111 27
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 140 40
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 74 16
Survival...........................| 90 20
Perception.........................| 124 32
Climbing...........................| 201 101
Swimming...........................| 201 101
First Aid..........................| 120 30

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 30

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 50

>cman info
Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Combat Focus focus 1
Disarm Weapon disarm 3
Feint feint 5
Specialization I wspec1 5
Combat Toughness toughness 1
Surge of Strength surge 2
Tainted Bond tainted 1

>shield info
Tower Shield Focus tfocus 5
Shield Bash bash 5
Shield Push push 2
Prop Up prop 2
Shield Forward forward 3
Shield Spike Focus spikefocus 2
Shield Spike Mastery spikemastery 2
Block the Elements eblock 2
Spell Block spellblock 1
Protective Wall pwall 2
Steely Resolve resolve 1
Phalanx phalanx 1

-- Robert

Due to the volatile atmosphere, random bolts of lightning can intermittently be seen streaking through the skyline.
Re: Only way I seem to die lately 04/29/2018 01:58 PM CDT
You mentioned prop up, but not protective wall. Protective wall is the main thing that will keep you alive if you're forced to kneel or knocked down as it will only reduce your DS by half the normal penalty.

Protective Wall is a passive shield specialization that halves the DS penalty from being stunned, webbed, immobile, unconscious, rooted or prone. At rank 1 this benefit is only applied to your group members; at rank 2 it affects you as well.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

Re: Only way I seem to die lately 04/30/2018 08:05 PM CDT
Nice skill, but I use large shields instead of tower, but thanks for the tip.
Re: Only way I seem to die lately 04/30/2018 08:07 PM CDT
What you describe is more-or-less how things go for me as well. My guess is that I'm using a large shield instead of the tower you have, and I think I have more spell training than you (75 ranks). Even then, it's mostly just the high open-end rolls that seem to get me. Just chalking it up to bad luck is a craw in my gullet.
Re: Only way I seem to die lately 05/14/2018 12:39 PM CDT
Where is your training points going towards? Perception and CMs (especially Cunning Defense) aid against CMs. Also, learning a point or two, etc in a specific CM helps you against that specific CM. How much dodge do you have or do you use a shield? What spells are active?

otherwise, I'd get better armor.

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: Only way I seem to die lately 05/14/2018 05:59 PM CDT
My perception isn't high, I think 26 ranks, but I'm fully singled in CM, and have 4 ranks in Cunning Defense. I don't think the CMs that are causing the problem are ones I can train in. I just started training in Dodge, but am fully doubled in shield with a large shield. Wearing full plate, no services on it. In 24 levels I'll be able to wear my highsteel full plate, and maybe by then I'll have gotten enough PP to get 150 services on it, but not likely, since I only have 1400 right now :D

Like others have said, I think symbol of restoration is the answer here, though I had completely forgotten about it, as I got a bit sidetracked from the game to enjoy the new God of War thoroughly.
Re: Only way I seem to die lately 05/14/2018 06:23 PM CDT
>>My perception isn't high, I think 26 ranks

I think you'll be very happy with investments in perception and survival.

Very, very happy.

Doug
Re: Only way I seem to die lately 05/14/2018 06:57 PM CDT
Could you detail why survival? I get that perception helps against CMs, does survival do the same? I never knew about perception until today, and only ever needed it for finding hidden things on routes to go places, which 26 has been enough for the last 76 levels.
Re: Only way I seem to die lately 05/14/2018 07:10 PM CDT
It may be totally at the cheese and smooth stone level - but I believe that Survival's ability to help the character avoid natural traps and pitfalls works in concert with Perception to identify and avoid unnatural traps and pitfalls.

I went from getting my hair cut to devastating, and I had already maxed out perception. . . so. . .

Doug
Re: Only way I seem to die lately 05/14/2018 08:03 PM CDT
https://gswiki.play.net/Standard_maneuver_roll

Read this if you haven't already as it tells you exactly what contributes to your maneuver defense. Eventually, everything will be migrated over to SMRv2. The easiest way to tell whether the mob is using SMRv1 or SMRv2 is whether there is a "bonus" listed in the numbers when a maneuver is performed. 917 is a perfect example as seen below:

[SMR result: 147 (Open d100: 32, Bonus: 48)]
Fiery debris explodes from the ground beneath a small cheese-filled rat!
... 40 points of damage!
The lower half of a small cheese-filled rat's right leg is almost completely burned away.
The cheese-filled rat squeals loudly and falls to the ground while frantically gnawing at its wounded right hind leg.

Any character trained in the following will have pretty darn good defense.

STATS:
Primary: Agility
Secondary: Dexterity and Intuition

TRAINING:
1x Dodge
1x CMAN
1x PT
1x Perception
1x Shield (Helps with SOME maneuvers)

Keep in mind the armor you're wearing plays a role in this equation too.

"The armor penalty is a relatively significant factor. For a character exactly trained for full plate at cap, it contributes a penalty a little bit above the difference between 1x and 2x PF. Overtraining in armor to reduce the action penalty and/or using Armored Evasion can reduce the maneuver penalty by a fairly significant amount, however."
- GM Coase

The biggest impact right now is making sure you're 1x training in dodge, CMAN, PT, and perception. Wearing lighter (such as brigadine or chain mail) will also help significantly in increasing your maneuver defense). Just keep in mind that everyone is subjected to OPEN rolls on occassion and it doesn't matter how well you're trained at that point.

Re: Only way I seem to die lately 05/14/2018 09:52 PM CDT
Are "traps and pitfalls" intended to use SMRv2, or will they continue to factor in survival? Beyond bandits, how often do these come into play?
Re: Only way I seem to die lately 05/14/2018 09:58 PM CDT
Actually, I'm not sure they do or will.

I had done a preliminary scan of Survival and such, but neglected to research SMR / SMR V2.

Unless an NIR swings in and suggests otherwise, or the information is updated with attesting data on the wiki, I'd roll with what ALLENM20 posted, and the information already existing on the wiki. Specifically, Survival doesn't do a thing for Bandit SMR.

Even with my anecdotal observations in my head, that doesn't mean I'm right (back to the cheese and smooth stone).

Let's suggest rather that I am mistaken - and use the wiki data posted as canonical.

Doug
Re: Only way I seem to die lately 05/14/2018 10:21 PM CDT
I'm pretty sure it's been stated before that survival helps with bandit traps.

While the SMRv2 skills should probably be considered the best options for all-around defense. There can and will be mechanics that integrate other skills where it makes sense, even if they are migrated to SMR eventually. As an example, if something like a wizard labyrinth full of traps were added to the game, it would make sense that some of the traps may have a magic item use aspect tossed in for minimizing/negating damage.

Viduus
Re: Only way I seem to die lately 05/15/2018 04:08 AM CDT
Survival and bandit traps make sense, as my paladin is 1x perception but only avoids the traps maybe 40% - 50% of the time. 1x survival is a post cap goal and I'm curious to see how it affects my paladin's ability to detect traps upon entering a room.

Re: Only way I seem to die lately 05/15/2018 08:47 AM CDT
>>I'm pretty sure it's been stated before that survival helps with bandit traps.

Dadnabit! I'm wrong. Again! For the 4th time in my life! And 2 of those times were times when I thought I was wrong!!

Thanks for adding clarity, Viduus. This one's getting captured and posted on the wiki.

>>if something like a wizard labyrinth full of traps were added to the game, it would make sense that some of the traps

You say that like you . . . know something.

Doug
Re: Only way I seem to die lately 05/15/2018 12:19 PM CDT
You say that like you . . . know something.

Doug

No hidden context there.

Viduus
Re: Only way I seem to die lately 05/18/2018 10:41 AM CDT
Wow... I just learned something. I always assumed survival was for things like weather at Trace and skinning some beasties. I just might have to work on that after I max at my PT and Perception to a full 2x and just keep blowing off lore for now heh

If this helps, this is my current training. Granted, I use two handers and I'm obviously post cap (stats are as perfect as can be)

Falvicar (at level 100), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 300 200
Combat Maneuvers...................| 302 202
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 304 204
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 170 70
Physical Fitness...................| 235 135
Dodging............................| 300 200
Magic Item Use.....................| 90 20
Harness Power......................| 200 100
Spirit Mana Control................| 105 25
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 140 40
Perception.........................| 205 105
Climbing...........................| 123 31
Swimming...........................| 120 30

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 20

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 50
Training Points: 4 Phy 1 Mnt
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

2 days remain until the annual FIXSKILLS is to be granted, on 05/20/2018.

Your 30 day migration period will begin when you choose to degrade a skill.

Further information can be found in the FAQs.
>cman info
Falvicar, your Combat Maneuver training is as follows:

Combat Movement cmovement 1
Dirtkick dirtkick 1
Shield Bash sbash 1
Disarm Weapon disarm 5
Feint feint 3
Specialization I wspec1 5
Crowd Press cpress 1
Combat Toughness toughness 3
Surge of Strength surge 3
Trip trip 1
Cunning Defense cdefense 5

Currently I'm working on perception getting to 2x and PT to a full 2x. I probably will finish up Multi Ops just because and otherwise probably just working on survival next. Hope this helps you out though. Some things I learned because of preference (such as full disarm) since it does come handy whether for RP or just fighting something really tough that you need to disarm to allow you to hit them easier. Happy Hunting.

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!