Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 08/27/2014 01:46 AM CDT
Just my two cents on pally flares...

You attempt to punch a greater krynch!
Your attack is hindered by holding an embossed rolaren greatshield!
You have decent positioning against a greater krynch.
UAF: 507 vs UDF: 420 = 1.207 * MM: 101 + d100: 17 = 138
... and hit for 11 points of damage!
Quick punch to right arm doesn't do any real damage.

Necrotic energy from your vultite knuckle-blade overflows into you!

You feel healed!

Your vultite knuckle-blade pulses with a burst of plasma energy!

... 30 points of damage!
Plasma scalds the greater krynch's stomach leaving painful red streaks.

Your vultite knuckle-blade sprays with a burst of plasma energy!

... 25 points of damage!
Plasma scalds the greater krynch's stomach leaving painful red streaks.

Your eonake-studded gauntlets pulse with a burst of plasma energy!

... 30 points of damage!
Blistering strike to leg shrivels skin and causes excruciating pain.

... 25 points of damage!
Roundtime: 3 sec.
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 08/27/2014 11:01 AM CDT

I still prefer my katana wielded with both hands for 5 seconds... :D
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 08/27/2014 12:09 PM CDT

Seeing the guiding light flares is at least half the reason I enjoy shield bash and shield strike. I prefer guiding light flares over any other common or somewhat uncommon flares. Before my morning star was weighted, I had Stovel acid flares removed to use guiding light. (Post nerf of the Stovel flares, that is).

However... mechanically, good crit weighting is superior to flares, as it's present on every swing. If there's any case where that's not true, I'm not aware of it, but I suppose that maybe.... maybe... UAC, with held weapons, and any weighting you might have is reduced.

Guiding light is awesome, though, for flare and flair alike.

Morden, player of.
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 08/27/2014 12:16 PM CDT

And, to nitpick a bit: double, double flares are cool, but it appears that you cut and paste from different attacks with this. It's not as cool when the clip is manufactured.

... 30 points of damage!

... 25 points of damage!
Roundtime: 3 sec.

The second pulse always says "sprays with a burst", as your brawling weapon did.

Morden, player of.
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 08/27/2014 12:19 PM CDT
Left-hand second-flares may be sufficiently uncommon that they mistakenly use the same text string when they go off.
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 08/27/2014 12:37 PM CDT

>Left-hand second-flares may be sufficiently uncommon that they mistakenly use the same text string when they go off.

I did leave the benefit of reasonable doubt with 'appears', but the apparent cut and paste was with the UAC gauntlet, not the left-hand weapon, which would be far more common (for any brawling paladin/cleric... maybe not common, but more common than TWC)

Also, one item that I considered, but don't know the answer to... is the increasing chance of a second flare on a per item basis, or a per spell/caster basis?

If it's per item, it's already going to be difficult to get two items to synchronize properly with the random number generator. Stastically, it'll happen, of course.

If it's per spell/caster, then getting a double flare will be much more difficult, as the second flare counter resets after the first double flare. The chance at a second double flare would always be at the minimum percentage.

Morden, player of.
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 08/27/2014 01:32 PM CDT

And to think: When Crusade gets released, it'll stack with other weighting which means the katana will be more critful. Maybe one day when I cap I might be able to wield a blade single handed to see flares now and then but I doubt it with my build. I went ahead and learned Divine Word at the cost of losing Searing Light and minusing a few ranks here and there to make room for mana control but it'll catch up / balance in a train or two. I might relearn Searing Light. Maybe. <shrug> But I won't further than Searing Light on the minor spirit just because I don't see a reason to know wall of force with heavy padded full plate and redux. And one day when the 50th slot gets released then perhaps learn it and then stop with spell circles and focus on physical abilities (more CMs / more PT etc).

I'm quite happy with the new layout. I just wish I could have squeezed in more spirit lore since I refuse to lose religion lore for it because of zealot and the Paladin of Ronan title being unlocked.

How is everybody else doing if I can ask? I'm still a two hander multi striking, casting paladin build.

Below is my build btw (yes I know I'm minus a few ranks here and there but it'll balance out when I train):

Falvicar (at level 82), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 266 166
Combat Maneuvers...................| 188 88
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 266 166
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 160 60
Physical Fitness...................| 266 166
Dodging............................| 180 80
Harness Power......................| 180 80
Spirit Mana Control................| 99 23
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 140 40
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 70 15
Perception.........................| 120 30
Climbing...........................| 140 40
Swimming...........................| 140 40
First Aid..........................| 140 40

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 30

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 40
Training Points: 6 Phy 0 Mnt (286 Phy converted to Mnt)
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 08/27/2014 05:22 PM CDT
I'm quite happy with the new layout. I just wish I could have squeezed in more spirit lore since I refuse to lose religion lore for it because of zealot and the Paladin of Ronan title being unlocked.

There is a title "Paladin of [Arkati]" to unlock? I had no idea. I don't see it in any of the lists available to me.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 08/27/2014 06:09 PM CDT

>>There is a title "Paladin of [Arkati]" to unlock? I had no idea. I don't see it in any of the lists available to me.

Not sure if it works in the paladin's case but for a cleric you could be say a high priest of Lorminstra by choosing that title and likely having to convert to Lorminstra. Possibly another step, if there is say a flag or setting you need to activate.

If paladins do have this choice, curious which titles would work. Paladin and dark/holy crusader immediately come to mind. Missionary and zealot also potentials.
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 08/27/2014 06:19 PM CDT
You need this in order to unlock the title:

Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 140 40

This works for clerics and paladins.

-- Robert
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 08/27/2014 06:26 PM CDT
Coolness. Thanks for the info. Always something new in this game.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 08/27/2014 07:28 PM CDT
Yeah, Clerics and Paladins can show the deity they worship once they've earned 40 ranks of Spiritual Lore, Religion. You then have to enable it via 'set ShowDeityTitle on'. It only works with profession, and not skilled, titles.

(I should get edit rights to Krakiipedia to add this information).

GameMaster Estild
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 08/27/2014 07:41 PM CDT
I went ahead and added it Estild.

http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_Lore,_Religion

You should submit your edit request to Krakiipedia now as it seems to take about 6 months to get approved.

-- Robert
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 08/27/2014 08:28 PM CDT
Robert
I went ahead and added it Estild.
http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_Lore,_Religion

You may also want to add it to the Titles page: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Titles. Thanks!

GameMaster Estild
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 08/27/2014 09:09 PM CDT
And done!

-- Robert

You raise your heel high, bringing it down solidly on a severed troll leg's foot!
The severed troll leg howls in pain, clutching its toes!
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 08/27/2014 09:26 PM CDT

>Yeah, Clerics and Paladins can show the deity they worship once they've earned 40 ranks of Spiritual Lore, Religion. You then have to enable it via 'set ShowDeityTitle on'. It only works with profession, and not skilled, titles.

Awww... I was really excited for a moment, envisioning...

You see Morden Mithgrek, the Shield Slalom Champion of Eonak.
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 08/29/2014 07:12 PM CDT
Putting in a humble request that deities be added to skill titles (as relevant). If it takes 40 ranks of SL:R to get the deity add then other titles that require SL:R should work as well. Makes sense to be a Holy Crusader of X.

<<Yeah, Clerics and Paladins can show the deity they worship once they've earned 40 ranks of Spiritual Lore, Religion. You then have to enable it via 'set ShowDeityTitle on'. It only works with profession, and not skilled, titles.

(I should get edit rights to Krakiipedia to add this information).

GameMaster Estild>>
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 08/30/2014 09:07 PM CDT
What would be more helpful at this point would be a Convert reset. With the pending release of Crusader I'd very much like to align with the deity that grants the damage type flares that I prefer, without paying out millions of silvers into a coffer to poof them away for something that was not a consideration for me originally when I selected. At the very least, put a Convert reset potion in the Simustore.
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 09/02/2014 03:18 AM CDT
>And to think: When Crusade gets released, it'll stack with other weighting which means the katana will be more critful.

Don't want to burst your bubble, but Crusade is slated for damage weighting, not critical weighting, as far as I read.

>Yeah, Clerics and Paladins can show the deity they worship once they've earned 40 ranks of Spiritual Lore, Religion. You then have to enable it via 'set ShowDeityTitle on'. It only works with profession, and not skilled, titles.

Could I get a clarification on that? As much as I would like to have 40 ranks of religious lore for more Zealotry and Divine Words, I've presently got none!

Presently, it suggest the form like "Paladin of XXX". I'm assuming that the profession titles means any of them, so we can have 'Avenger of Charl' and 'High Priest of Luukos' but not 'Swashbuckler of Niima,' 'Zealot of Voln,' or 'Profiteer of Lorminstra'. Some of those are pretty hilarious, I admit, but I can see why at least some kinds of titles need to be excluded and excluding all the skill titles is easier. Darnit, I wanted to be the Slayer of Koar! It was me, I did it!

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 09/02/2014 08:46 AM CDT

>Don't want to burst your bubble, but Crusade is slated for damage weighting, not critical weighting, as far as I read.

Yes, you are correct Crusade will provide damage weighting, and NOT crit weighting.

>Presently, it suggest the form like "Paladin of XXX". I'm assuming that the profession titles means any of them, so we can have 'Avenger of Charl' and 'High Priest of Luukos' but not 'Swashbuckler of Niima,' 'Zealot of Voln,' or 'Profiteer of Lorminstra'. Some of those are pretty hilarious, I admit, but I can see why at least some kinds of titles need to be excluded and excluding all the skill titles is easier. Darnit, I wanted to be the Slayer of Koar! It was me, I did it!

With regards to the deity title, Yes your understanding is correct, it will work with any profession based title, ie. Paladin of Charl, or Paragon of Luukos etc.
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 09/02/2014 10:07 AM CDT
>Don't want to burst your bubble, but Crusade is slated for damage weighting, not critical weighting, as far as I read.

>Yes, you are correct Crusade will provide damage weighting, and NOT crit weighting.

It still stacks per Development forum above so there is no bubble bursting... unless it's incorrect at any rate. Read below (I copied / pasted)

Falvicar
Does the weapon weighting etc stack with my bonded katana which is already weighted? I'm just curious what I should expect as a proud owner of my katana from the updates. The only other question I'd have is this: I'm considering saving up a few more premium points to my second custom verb on my katana and was thinking about using RAISE but I don't want that to be an issue after the fact in regards to raising the katana to get the guaranteed infused spell to go off. So if RAISE can't be used then I'd like to know so I don't mess anything up if that makes sense.

The weighing and flares stack with any other ability/property. We currently have some logic so that scripted weapons still work with Sanctify's RAISE, but I think I may just move the activation to BESEECH <weapon> to avoid any confusions or problems.
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 09/02/2014 12:09 PM CDT
Any word on whether there will be a Convert reset? Dropping 8 mil to adjust to game mechanics will really annoy me.
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 09/02/2014 12:11 PM CDT
All Paladins have been granted a FIXSKILL due to the changes for their spell circle. Standard restrictions apply (doesn't stack if you hadn't already used your FIXSKILL from last Festival of Oleani, only available until the next Festival of Oleani, etc). Enjoy!
GameMaster Estild
This message was originally posted in Paladins, Paladin Spells. To discuss the above, follow the link below.
http://forums.play.net/forums/19/238/2659/view/628

Chad, player of a few
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 09/02/2014 12:46 PM CDT
Yep, got it and appreciate it. That, however, does not solve the deity issue, only the skills issues.
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 09/02/2014 01:00 PM CDT
>It still stacks per Development forum above so there is no bubble bursting... unless it's incorrect at any rate.

Nope, I agree it should stack. I was just making sure you understood correctly that the katana wasn't going to be moar critful (just moar damageful)

>Yep, got it and appreciate it. That, however, does not solve the deity issue, only the skills issues.

Care to elaborate? I'm not going to hard-line and say deity choice is RP and not mechanical, since I converted my paladin from Oleani to Voln after getting T4 armor (which...I still can't wear). I am curious, though.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 09/02/2014 01:10 PM CDT
Yep, got it and appreciate it. That, however, does not solve the deity issue, only the skills issues.

Doh thats what I get for skimming. NO idea about the converting.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 09/02/2014 02:00 PM CDT
LANDRUMC1
Any word on whether there will be a Convert reset? Dropping 8 mil to adjust to game mechanics will really annoy me.

No, there will be no such reset offered. Picking a deity to follow is an important and lifelong decision that should not be changed on a whim. If you decide to change your mind later on, you have to prove your dedication by working with a Cleric to intercede (Intercession, Tier 5 of Holy Receptable (325)) on your behalf.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 09/02/2014 02:37 PM CDT
>No, there will be no such reset offered. Picking a deity to follow is an important and lifelong decision that should not be changed on a whim. If you decide to change your mind later on, you have to prove your dedication by working with a Cleric to intercede (Intercession, Tier 5 of Holy Receptable (325)) on your behalf.

NIR word aside, I'm still curious. My previous post went really heavily on the mechanics side, where as I tend to generally go more hard-line to the RP (as I consider it) as stated here.

At least for my own case and conversion (which I did via 325, but at mid-30s it was only about 1.5m) it was definitely motivated by mechanics. But he was only Oleani-worshipping on a whim whenever I rolled him up as a warrior a decade ago because he's a halfling. Actually, that 1.5m was a nice investment, because it gave me some direction and I tend to play him as a fair zealot now. Even my best friend I met playing (you'll find I like to use the term "best friend" in lots of contexts!) had some more recent interaction with Flail and was fairly amazed how differently I was playing him than I play Kaldonis.

For my own sake, I wondered what part of this long-awaited and very-amazing Spell Circle review brings you to wanting to convert! From what, to what, and why?

And, for my two cents on something else: it's stupid that the cost of intercession increases with level. Sorry to say I think it's absolutely silly. There some kind of logic behind that? I could invent some arguments to support it, but they all seem flimsy.

Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 09/02/2014 04:20 PM CDT
But picking a training plan isn't an important and lifelong decision, so we'll give you a pass on that one since we changed up the mechanics a bit. Seems legit!
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 09/02/2014 04:47 PM CDT

The coffer is a tiny obsidian box that is cloaked in shadow. On top of the coffer is a thin slot, just big enough to fit an Elanthian silver coin.
You recall placing 6116130 coins into your coffer and get the feeling that that is not a sufficient offering.

That's not robbery or anything. Right?
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 09/02/2014 09:23 PM CDT

The mechanical benefits from choosing a deity would be the future flares granted by Crusade. I want to assume they'd be similar in nature to the flares used by 1630/1615 which would make certain deities more powerful on average or more powerful in the OP specific hunting area.
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 09/02/2014 10:01 PM CDT

>The mechanical benefits from choosing a deity would be the future flares granted by Crusade. I want to assume they'd be similar in nature to the flares used by 1630/1615 which would make certain deities more powerful on average or more powerful in the OP specific hunting area.

This is true, but why would the release of Crusade make this any different? With the assumption that they will be of same type as 1630... has the paladin in question never cast 1630 before? I don't understand why the release of Crusade would make a player want to change deities.

Morden, player of, and pleased that Eonak has disruption.
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 09/03/2014 04:22 AM CDT
I'm still curious as what part of the Paladin Circle Review and its subsequent changes are triggering this. For my case, I tend to like fire a lot mechanically (but this is the same for Oleani and for Voln). But with the Voln armor, the DS/padding flares get another 5% chance to flare for converts to Voln. 20% vs. 25% isn't a huge difference (it's a quarter more often or so), but it's definitely a finite value.

And when I brought Flail back, I had to decide for society anyway. He was originally a warrior in Voln when I made him in like 2002. But at some point he turned into my GoS warcamp monkey. Then he was converted to Paladin and I started playing him. Most people seemed to advise that GoS was generally mechanically better for Paladins than Voln, but I felt Voln was much more suitable as a complement to paladin skills and how I wanted to play my character.

Anyway, if your messaging and trinket isn't on KP already, please post it and myself or someone else will add it: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Intercession

Then you can think (like I did with Voln) that I was merely paying for research to provide on KP! (Well, only if that information is lacking...)

Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 09/03/2014 07:12 AM CDT
Sure! Once I finish buying my deity for 80 bucks I'll send ya the data.
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 09/03/2014 11:49 AM CDT
Could you check this point for me, as well? Below is from KP

Syntax - put (number) silver in coffer
>put X coins in my coffer
You gently slide some coins into the slot in the lid of your silver coffer and get the feeling that you have placed a sufficient offering inside it.

Once a sufficient offering has been made, the pilgrim will get a feeling to that effect, and will be able to verify by LOOKing at the coffer.

In my case, I didn't get any such messaging (I just had to look directly in the coffer). I'm wondering if KP is wrong, but you can guess that I didn't want to make multiple trials with the system.

Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 09/03/2014 07:42 PM CDT
Will do. Over 7 mil in it so far and no love.
Re: Paladin plasma flares vs weighting or other flares 09/04/2014 09:39 AM CDT

I'm kind of surprised there's nothing in the Simucoin to change religion yet you can with society. and NO I am not leaving Ronan. Just an observation and me sympathizing to make a suggestion.

BTW: I highly recommend Ronan.. <grin>

- Falvicar