Returning player 06/01/2013 09:49 AM CDT

Ok I want some opinions on my skills and stats. I was thinking of converting to a monk.

Name: xxxxx Race: Giantman Profession: Paladin (Post name shown as: Challenger)
Level: 27 Gender: Male Age: 20

Experience:
Experience: 863081 Next level at: 899000 exp.
Exp. until next lvl: 35919
Fame: 1515664 Deeds: 2 Deaths this level: 0
Your mind is becoming numbed.

Wealth:
Silvers: 0 coins
Debts:
Solhaven: 228 silver
Zul Logoth: 1078 silver

Skills:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 158 58
Combat Maneuvers...................| 117 29
Polearm Weapons....................| 158 58
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 117 29
Physical Fitness...................| 117 29
Dodging............................| 114 28
Arcane Symbols.....................| 25 5
Magic Item Use.....................| 30 6
Harness Power......................| 111 27
Perception.........................| 40 8
Climbing...........................| 35 7
Swimming...........................| 35 7

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 26
Training Points: 1 Phy 0 Mnt (144 Phy converted to Mnt)
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

Spell Ranks:
Paladin Base :26

Stats: Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 100 (40) ... 100 (40)
Constitution (CON): 83 (26) ... 89 (29)
Dexterity (DEX): 77 (8) ... 77 (8)
Agility (AGL): 86 (13) ... 86 (13)
Discipline (DIS): 73 (11) ... 73 (11)
Aura (AUR): 66 (3) ... 66 (3)
Logic (LOG): 55 (-3) ... 55 (-3)
Intuition (INT): 53 (1) ... 53 (1)
Wisdom (WIS): 99 (24) ... 99 (24)
Influence (INF): 63 (11) ... 63 (11)
Re: Returning player 06/01/2013 05:35 PM CDT
I'm a bit confused by your post, you want feedback but mentioned converting to a monk, in which case current stats/skills are meaningless.

If you want advice on the paladin path...

Dump polearms, and choose ohe/ohb/UAC to free up TPs and enjoy a wider range of skill selection pre-cap. If your vision of paladin is someone swinging a massive weapon, then I'd recommend THW instead of polearms as giants just aren't the best polearm users around.

The polearm route is probably the most powerful (and most TP consuming) plan available to paladins, but I've always found it limiting pre-cap. It really shines when you can take full use of the advantage of a big weapon, while benefiting from protection offered by shields. Unfortunately you have to pick and choose between those two things pre-cap.

Other than those, your current training looks fine for a paladin.

For a monk, I'd recommend you roll one up for level 0 first, otherwise you're probably going to be disappointed with your conversion.

Dgry
Re: Returning player 06/02/2013 12:58 PM CDT
Under NO circumstances convert to a monk. You will hate it. Monks just suck big time as they are now implimented; they need some significant improvement. I tried bringing up a monk from scratch, and totally lost interest at 8 trains.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Returning player 06/02/2013 02:46 PM CDT
>>Under NO circumstances convert to a monk. You will hate it. Monks just suck big time as they are now implimented; they need some significant improvement. I tried bringing up a monk from scratch, and totally lost interest at 8 trains.<<

Under NO circumstances listen to this type of advice.

Monks are pretty good. Other classes have been given more UCS|shield|cman to make UCS with them better so much of the GS population has soured on Monks. That being said, monks are still pretty good. They have great DS and uphunt well, albeit slow.

Listen to this advice Before converting, play with UCS. Borrow someones monk, fixskills your pally, do whatever you need to but don't take the conversion lightly. MANY of us now wish we never converted.(assuming that you're considering conversion to monk because of UCS, because if you're thinking of convering to a sword/board monk you might as well just stay a paladin)
Re: Returning player 06/02/2013 03:23 PM CDT
>>Under NO circumstances listen to this type of advice.

Monks are pretty good. Other classes have been given more UCS|shield|cman to make UCS with them better so much of the GS population has soured on Monks. That being said, monks are still pretty good. They have great DS and uphunt well, albeit slow.

Listen to this advice Before converting, play with UCS. Borrow someones monk, fixskills your pally, do whatever you need to but don't take the conversion lightly. MANY of us now wish we never converted.(assuming that you're considering conversion to monk because of UCS, because if you're thinking of convering to a sword/board monk you might as well just stay a paladin)<<

Actually, we are giving the same advice; don't convert. I should have broadened my statement to include ALL conversion oportunities. Instead of converting my cleric to a paladin, for example, I made one from scratch. Thank the Gods! I'd have been totally upset if I had done so. Mind you, I like my paladin, especially now that my cleric is semi-retired, but my cleric rocked as a hunter as well as a rescuer. And I brought up a monk from scratch also. Now, I have 15 characters, at least one of each class, and I have played all professions up to at least level 40 ... except the monk. I totally got bored with her by level 8; that should say something.

I have no idea what Simu was thinking of, to make conversions from one profession to another permanent, with no trial period. I'd personally give someone 30 days to try the new profession and decide. Hmmm, if I were the suspicious sort, I might think that they are hoping to get someone to pay $250 for character restoration if they decide they hate the new profession.

The bells of Hell go ting-a-ling-a-ling for you but not for me
Re: Returning player 06/02/2013 03:47 PM CDT
>>Actually, we are giving the same advice; don't convert.<<

We're not giving the same advice. I like my monk. He was a rogue so he can probably have more fun UCS'ing as a rogue right now than as a monk, but he's still a solid character. My Pally is b-o-r-i-n-g. He's probably the one I should have converted.

All I am saying is learn as much as you can about monks before converting. It's 250 bucks to convert back so don't take it lightly.
Re: Returning player 06/25/2013 11:49 AM CDT

I'm in agreement on monks to a degree.. learn it first. I honestly wish I didnt convert my rogue to one as it seems there are no locksmiths anymore. However; I am learning it when not playing my paladin but I'm finding that I rarely now even touch my monk even more than I did when he was a rogue. At least if he was rogue, he could address the lack of locksmiths around and I probably could have trained him strictly as a locksmith and not worry so much of combat.

The one beneficial thing I like is the fact that as a monk vs a rogue, I got more interesting CMANs and more umph for brawling skill. That said, I don't like that I can't use my sais nearly as effective anymore and further need to find other armor as his double leathers are obviously useless as a monk. Plus, not being able to effectively locksmith anymore just sucks...

Interesting though too: For some reason or another, as a monk my rogue got his Redux. As a rogue, for whatever reason, he didn't get it regardless of armor training, PT, and only a handful of spells to help locksmith. He was a two weapon user with two sais that ambushed when he was hunting and not smithing. I don't know where the math is failing.. or rather failed. I do wish I could convert him back but I'm not going to cough up money for a restoral on him.
Re: Returning player 06/27/2013 01:16 AM CDT
> who prof monk

Brave Adventurers Questing:

Dragauth Korabas
Total: 2

> who prof paladin

Brave Adventurers Questing:

Drondan Ildarion Sabreon Kelkrin
Neelin Callinar Menos Pereus
Ronvern
Total: 9

During the night.
Re: Returning player 06/27/2013 06:37 AM CDT
To be fair, I leave my guy signed in all the time, even when I am asleep or out.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Re: Returning player 06/27/2013 04:17 PM CDT

Your stats aren't horrible as is for a paladin. You'll have a fairly good amounts of tp's and your combat stats are all good. I'd stay paladin and go with a UAC/greatshield build. I think you'll love it as a giantman. You'll want feint and shielded brawler in addition to shield bash and/or shield charge.

There are sancted hand/foot gear for sale at the ice mule cleric shop I think. The only drawback is that you can't bond with boots/gloves.

Monks aren't a bad class by any means, it's just that there's no reason to convert to one in order to use UAC. Every other hybrid/square is as good or better than a monk at UAC.