Aeia 12/29/2011 07:46 AM CST
I was wondering if anyone out there can help me with info about Aeia's shrine outside the cleric's guild in River's Rest, the one where you can sacrifice green sapphires to Aeia. Sometimes when a sapphire is offered, it's given back slightly changed:

>put sap on alt

You drop the green sapphire onto the altar and watch it disperse in a green tendril of energy. One of the unblossomed lilies upon the altar suddenly opens, revealing tiny spheres of flickering viridian light that float over and dance about your head playfully. A soft, nurturing voice makes itself known in your mind, "Such pretty things, my child. Gazing into their depths one is reminded of the earth and the wonderful things that may blossom from it. It reminds one what the world could become." The lips upon the statue seem to sparkle just a bit as the voice fades away.

Suddenly a burst of green light comes from your hand, revealing the sapphire you just offered, except its form is slightly different now.
>l my sap
Shaped like a double pyramid, a deep green spherical sapphire has a dull, pearly finish. The crystal has a rich green hue and a subtle cloudiness that makes it appear almost opalescent.
>tap my sap
You tap a deep green spherical sapphire, which is in your right hand.

I've always offered the sapphires for RP reasons, but lately I've been wondering if this is part of some larger puzzle or if the spherical sapphires have a use beyond neat symbols of a follower's devotion to Aeia. Unfortunately the only person I know that might know the answer left GS some time ago, so I thought I'd ask here.

Starchitin
Re: Aeia 12/29/2011 01:31 PM CST
As far as I'm aware, the spherical sapphires are as you think, pretty symbols of faith. Have a pendant made, or decorate your weapon! Have you tried to PRAY to the statue or altar directly? It, too, has occasional flavor at that shrine, I've found, with my Aeian cleric. I'm not sure on other professions or alignment.

A black-billed nightingale examines you carefully then says, "With all the vicious creatures we've got threatening the city, I would think that a person with your skills could find plenty to do."
Re: Aeia 12/29/2011 02:09 PM CST
Actually, I haven't tried praying to it that I can recall.... though I have prayed in that room. I'll have to give it a try and see, I've got characters in four different professions that are divoted to her.

Starchitin
Re: Aeia 12/30/2011 02:01 PM CST
Because I was a bit intentionally vague, and seeing the various messaging is worth it, PRAY STATUE and PRAY ALTAR can both trigger the niftiness. You may get some regular to begin, but if so, I usually water the sappling, gaze, ponder- break it up somehow for the RP for myself and try again. You'll know when you get it. :)

A black-billed nightingale examines you carefully then says, "With all the vicious creatures we've got threatening the city, I would think that a person with your skills could find plenty to do."
Re: Aeia 12/31/2011 04:53 AM CST
There's no other use intended or sweet easter eggy puzzles - it's literally the same item with just its description mucked with a bit, but you can probably use them in whatever systems utilize gems without any issue.

As for praying, it's just kind of random messaging based on nothing in particular since the alignment system wasn't out at the time - and dang, now that I'm looking, I made these things like a decade ago. I feel all old now.

~ V
Re: Aeia 12/31/2011 07:15 AM CST
<and dang, now that I'm looking, I made these things like a decade ago. I feel all old now.>

::flirts shamelessly with V::

And here I thought you couldn't be a day older then 25....

If you ever had some spare time and wanted to make a lot of folk happy, you could poke at it to see how difficult it would be to update it to give special messaging to followers of Aeia when they pray to it.... and maybe make it so using a spherical green sapphire will give you a deed no matter what your level is if used in RR (that you go through 4-5 sapphires between getting the special ones would even out the cost, and Aeia IS the one you're getting deeds from when you get them in the Rest...).

::smiles cutely and slips a big bag of gems into V's pocket::

Starchitin
Re: Aeia 01/03/2012 02:23 PM CST
Using the sapphires for other things. Hrm. Good idea!

GM Scribes, the slow.