Katana and bless 05/12/2014 06:48 PM CDT
Are katanas inherently unblessable?

Magarven the Mad
Re: Katana and bless 05/12/2014 07:54 PM CDT
Only in as much as new katanas have crit weighting and weighting makes things unblessable. If you removed the weighting they would bless fine.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Re: Katana and bless 05/13/2014 10:31 AM CDT
And since you'll never get anyone to remove the weighting on a katana, your best bet would be to try to find an old style one without weighting.
Re: Katana and bless 05/13/2014 01:49 PM CDT
Ah... Dang it.

Magarven the Mad
Re: Katana and bless 05/13/2014 04:09 PM CDT
If you are just looking for a switchable one/two handed blessable weapon, I'm fairly sure a bastard sword equivalent (ie: warsword or espadon) would suffice.

If you want a katana for the fluff/rp aspect of using a katana then I'm not sure where to point you exactly. We don't alter anything that isn't a katana into a katana these days.

-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru
Re: Katana and bless 05/13/2014 04:59 PM CDT
clerics and paladins always have the white ora, eonake optionfor santced katanas thats as close as ya can get without finding one of the really old katanas that are a one hand base, i don't think any of them left are bastard swords, i've heard of a shortsword and a falchion and broadsword bases,but i think the short was weighed
Re: Katana and bless 06/12/2014 07:46 PM CDT
I can cope with an extra blessable weapon for my ranger. The alternatives to the katana have the same flavor to them, plus I got a set of nice knives and daggers. There is something slightly "evil" about pulling a special weapon for certain creatures: "It's down to knife work here."

One other katana question - why does it require both two hand and one handed weapons to wield one handed? Is there any inherent bonus or benefit to a katana training that other weapons don't have? My ranger of course has both skills plus two weapon combat, so obviously the mechanic doesn't bother me. (Lord knows what my viability will be at later levels, but I like it so far.) I just wanted to know what the thought process was.

Magarven the Mad
Re: Katana and bless 06/12/2014 10:44 PM CDT
>>One other katana question - why does it require both two hand and one handed weapons to wield one handed? Is there any inherent bonus or benefit to a katana training that other weapons don't have?<<

I suspect that this dates back to when katanas were released, and they were considered something "special"; the Artkati alone know why. I mean, they do feeble damage compared to a claidh. But you had to go on a special quest back then just to get a 0x katana. Nowadays they are a dime a dozen. In the last 6 months I have found at least four magical metal katanas on critters, ranging from ora to vaalorn. I can't even sell them. Considering that you can use a spear or a trident one or two handed just by training in polearms and using the "grip" command, it doesn't make all that much sense logically either.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Katana and bless 07/30/2014 10:01 AM CDT
When I decided to pick up weapons again, then I will be using a Vaalorn Katana and Golvern Maul. The Katana will stay at my hip.. for rp reasons. The Maul will be for undead.

Lady Nairena
Air Mage of Ta'Vaalor
Proud Member of the Eahnor Assembly
Re: Katana and bless 07/30/2014 04:30 PM CDT
Just remember, dear; you will be giving up a lot of spell ranks to get the requisite physical combat skills. This might adversely impact your ability to make those higher level item enchants.

Help! The contest is over, but I can't keep from making rhymes! Somebody stop me!

Warmages sure do look neat;
some say that they can't be beat.
But balancing skills
to make all those kills
certainly is no mean feat.