One-Handed defense 07/23/2013 03:55 PM CDT
Am curious about what kind of defense would you get just holding a one handed sword with no shield. Would it be like having empty hands? Or would there be some sort of defense like holding a shield or bow? Am talking about DS
Re: One-Handed defense 07/23/2013 04:32 PM CDT
If all you trained was edged you'd only get parry DS from it and nothing from your offhand. To get DS from having an empty offhand you could gain 1 rank of brawling and train in TWC. You'd want at least .5x in TWC if not more depending on your profession.
Re: One-Handed defense 07/23/2013 04:33 PM CDT

In offensive stance you'd see no defense gained through holding the weapon just the chance to parry. Your defense would come from dodging and spells unless you stanced down converting some of your AS into parry DS against melee attacks.
Re: One-Handed defense 07/23/2013 04:47 PM CDT

I am currently hunting with a bow. I wanted to keep that training as is and pick up Edge Weapons, and bring it up to speed with my range. It's just for RPing reasons and to just have something else I can do on the side. Depending on situations. It's Why I was curious to what kind of DS I would get. Thanks for the responses btw :)
Re: One-Handed defense 07/24/2013 08:17 AM CDT
You could walk around with an arrow in your right hand (I believe they still count as 1HEdged weapons) and look moderately bad-ass.

However, I believe you would continue to get the Ranged DS full-time if you just walk around with the bow in your left hand, and your right hand empty.
Re: One-Handed defense 07/24/2013 10:02 AM CDT
The OP was asking because they were thinking of adding edged weapon training to their arsenal.
Re: One-Handed defense 08/14/2013 02:31 AM CDT
Do it, May isn't so far away.

(This from a 2x ranged/ohe, 1x brawl ranger).
Re: One-Handed defense 08/14/2013 12:20 PM CDT
>>(This from a 2x ranged/ohe, 1x brawl ranger).<<

I'm assuming your post cap. That's a lot of TP's.
Re: One-Handed defense 08/16/2013 12:58 AM CDT
>>(This from a 2x ranged/ohe, 1x brawl ranger).<<

<<I'm assuming your post cap. That's a lot of TP's.

No, just in 60s, and yes it is a lot. Admittedly, brawl is marginal on like level, but plenty if setups with sweep and ranger spells to make it viable (sweep, 608, punch head... Repeat). Bare minimum auxillary skills (no AS, MIU, LORE) and I have thought about tanking spells and upping brawl, but then why not roll a warrior? I like brawl compared to ohe as curreny hunting in stronghold/darkstone/(rare)kragg slopes, so will likely drop ohe, double brawl and regain marginal stalk/hide (right now all open).
Re: One-Handed defense 09/27/2013 01:30 PM CDT
I'm a couple of months late on this, but this is how I roll. OHE in the right hand, open left hand. I'm a rogue, so I spend a lot of time hiding, and I started fighting this way around 65-70 I think? Doubled in dodge, I didn't run into any specific DS issues until OTF, where the crystal weapons really make you need that offensive DS.

Where it really matters, in offensive, you can do just fine, but you need a lot of dodge to survive OTF (I've got about 320 ranks enhanced now) and you'll want to augment that with spells. Places without flares your DS is effectively boosted by the amount that it takes to get a rank 1 on you as opposed to just hit you, so armor and redux help out a lot there.

There's a few pros to this:

1) easy to grab things, either from the ground or herbs/crystals/other magic items
2) can't lose your shield to curse/whatever if you don't have one
3) no shield penalty to your dodge based DS (dodge, agility, mass blur, etc)
4) lookin' really cool

I will also point out for the more observant among you that those two recent deaths were from maneuvers :D
Re: One-Handed defense 09/28/2013 08:22 PM CDT
Train in brawling and wear ET'd gloves.

Instant and significant DS hike.

.jaired
>I'M ON A BOAT
Please rephrase that command.