Lost brawling weapon 04/30/2011 03:20 AM CDT
Hello all,

I managed to lose my brawling weapon last night. I was disarmed by a Janissary, then instantly picked up by a Griffin. I was gone less than a minute and the area did NOT unload, but all the same the weapon was missing upon my return. As stupid as it sounds, I have little to no doubt a registered/marked item can disappear within 45 seconds or so of being in an actively used section of the game. On the off chance that it wasn't, however, please let me know if you come across one.

"Halflings speak Halfling & Common. They don't speak in dog whistle." - GM Thandiwe
Re: Lost brawling weapon 04/30/2011 03:25 AM CDT
>then instantly picked up by a Griffin.

Sorry about your weapon, but griffins can pick up stuff?

-Drew/Chiv

>630
You make a simple motion, quietly invoking the Animal Companion spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
Your thoughts project outward along the tenuous link with your companion a single desire: NNNNNGH.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
Re: Lost brawling weapon 04/30/2011 03:26 AM CDT
No, they picked me up, carrying me away from the location. I really, truly think if the janitor grabbed the item that the system must be re-examined if that is not an outright bug. There is absolutely no reason an item of worth should just disappear like that being in an ACTIVE area for less than 45 seconds.

"Halflings speak Halfling & Common. They don't speak in dog whistle." - GM Thandiwe
Re: Lost brawling weapon 04/30/2011 09:28 AM CDT
Similar observation of nelemar; when disarmed by one fishy foe, another immediatly blared a conch which feared me into adjacent room for a half minute. My enhancive staff was never picked up (low enchant, good enhancive) as I peered over and over, though when I was out of rt and walked in, it was gone.
Perhaps disarmed weapons can learn from arrows and just not get janitorized...
Re: Lost brawling weapon 04/30/2011 09:57 AM CDT
Hopefully it was found and returned. Sadly, however, that inevitability [disarm + griffin = lost item] is an intention/artifact of the area's original design - it's not a bug or flaw. Once upon a time, this was the only apex hunting area in Elanthia, and as such, the risks of using good items are well known. If anything the rate of the janitor increases with hunting pressure. Some GMs will give you a mulligan once in your lifetime if the item was registered; I wouldn't count on it though.

Tarakan
Re: Lost brawling weapon 04/30/2011 03:06 PM CDT
I think you have to be really unlucky for the janitor that goes round cleaning loaded areas to grab a valuable item when you are out of the room for a short time. It will happen, because anything can be taken whenever the janitor looks, and that can be the second you leave the room, but you have a decent chance of it leaving it valuables around for a while.

However, I suspect that when an area despawns there may not be any check as to the value of items that are cleaned out. I have seen an area despawn in the couple of seconds it takes to run from a swarm, realise I left loot on the ground, run back to snatch the loot only to find critters and loot all gone. A 45 second griffin ride is practically a guaranteed despawn if you were the only hunter in the spawning area before you got picked up.

I think it may be the despawning that is actually a bit too aggressive and could do with tweaking.
Re: Lost brawling weapon 04/30/2011 03:42 PM CDT
It's possible the area could have despawned, but I highly, highly doubt it. There were creatures there from the moment I stepped back in the room. Still waiting on an assist to see what I can learn. I trust the people that hunt there with me, and neither claimed to have picked it up.

Re: Lost brawling weapon 04/30/2011 05:49 PM CDT
Gear loss sucks.

-Keleborrn.
Re: Lost brawling weapon 05/01/2011 03:56 AM CDT
I left two empty boxes on the floor in my private estate overnight and logged in to find them still there in the morning.

And yet I have lost weapons to blink-of-an-eye moments.

Ah, janitor.

-E
Re: Lost brawling weapon 05/01/2011 08:42 AM CDT
I don't believe the janitor will ever clean the floor of your private estate. I've left things on the floor of the crystal dome for over a week with no issue.

-- Faulkil
Re: Lost brawling weapon 05/01/2011 02:51 PM CDT

I really think that the janitorial system needs a review. I had an incident happen a few days ago and that almost cost me my bow, had it not been for GM Wyrom’s intervention I would have. Being I play in Plat I know all about droppage and where critters will take a weapon. Anyway I was hunting the bog when I got disarmed by a shade, normal game mechanics nothing to worry about shades do not pick up bows, enter a spectre who sends me to another room hence rt from the disarm 20 sec, being sent south another 20, praying bow is still on ground return 39 seconds later bow is gone, but the boxes that I had not bothered picking up are still there. The chance of being put into rt being disarmed and sent to another room are astronomical hence using a bow of worth, which now has changed to a lesser quality bow.
I have experimented with the janitor, he is a greedy bastage, he takes items of greater worth first. Example drop empty box, drop jewelry, drop jewelry, drop empty box, jewelry disappears in seconds. Drop empty box come back 5 min later box still there, drop cloak same room gone in 20 sec.
Please, please, can we get a review of the janitorial system, Items that are registered/marked should get at least 3 min before being janitored, heck empty boxes get 20 or better…..thanks in advance

~Shi'larra

Nishima exclaims, "Baa-aa-ah!"
Re: Lost brawling weapon 05/02/2011 12:28 AM CDT
>>I don't believe the janitor will ever clean the floor of your private estate. I've left things on the floor of the crystal dome for over a week with no issue.<<

He definitely does, otherwise I'd need a trashcan in there.

But yea it's not as frequent as the wilds.

-E