Disarming Gremlocks 12/20/2010 10:07 AM CST
Just got my 5th rank in disarm and can't disarm Gremlock's garrouts. They inflict wounds with them so I take it they are weapons. Any help?

Kilflin Parrak
Re: Disarming Gremlocks 12/20/2010 04:56 PM CST
Shot in the dark, but for my money I bet you can't disarm those garrotes. If you can, I'm going to start trying because it's one of few ways I get injured in the Aqueducts right now. As an aside, I think gremlins should carry around tattered cloths, burlap scarves, or perhaps frayed baby blue frock-scraps, for the same purpose.

Oscar.
Re: Disarming Gremlocks 12/22/2010 09:25 AM CST
Recent log from the Ducts

You see a fairly typical gremlock.
He has severe head trauma and bleeding from his ears.
He is stunned.
He has a filthy knapsack (worn) and a rusted wire garrote.
>
A festering taint arrives, bringing in a rancid odor.
>stance off
You are now in an offensive stance.
>cman disarm gremlock
A gremlock is not holding a weapon.

OK so what gives??
Re: Disarming Gremlocks 12/22/2010 01:09 PM CST
a garrote is not a weapon.

it's a tool for the cman skill.

-James-
player of Fremie

Mirayam says, "You are not a rogue, sir."

Mirayam exclaims, "You are noble!"
Re: Disarming Gremlocks 12/22/2010 01:57 PM CST
I'm pretty sure they were totin garrotes before the cman skills came out and if a carried instrument can inflict damage it's a WEAPON.
Re: Disarming Gremlocks 12/22/2010 03:38 PM CST
>if a carried instrument can inflict damage it's a WEAPON.
METZM17

Wands.

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: Disarming Gremlocks 12/22/2010 09:36 PM CST
* Bad example. Wands can be disarmed.
Re: Disarming Gremlocks 12/22/2010 10:37 PM CST
Is that new? I didn't think they could be.

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: Disarming Gremlocks 12/22/2010 10:43 PM CST
XXX has accepted your offer and is now holding a smooth bone wand.
You are now targeting XXX.
>disarm
XXX is not holding a weapon.
Re: Disarming Gremlocks 12/22/2010 11:02 PM CST
Critters have disarmed wands from my wizard before. No idea how new it is.
Re: Disarming Gremlocks 12/23/2010 02:13 PM CST
I think it may be related to what hand the wand is in. Holding a runestaff, the first target of disarm should be that. But if you are using a wand and shield, the wand will be in your right hand, and potentially disarmable.

Mind you, I have no direct experience with that, since my mage uses weapons and is fully trained in disarm CMan, but it seems a likely supposition.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Disarming Gremlocks 12/23/2010 02:26 PM CST
It also occurs to me that if you train in brawling (for non-disarmable DS), and are holding only a wand in your left hand (right hand empty), that would be a default target for the critter's maneuver. Has anyone had their wand disarmed first while still holding a runestaff in their right hand? If so, that would shoot my theory to heck :)

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Disarming Gremlocks 12/23/2010 11:59 PM CST
You are incorrect, which hand the weapon in only determines priority, right hand gets disarmed first, if there is nothing in the right it checks the left. If the left hand never got disarmed archers wouldn't have to worry about it as bows are always in the left hand.
Re: Disarming Gremlocks 12/24/2010 07:13 PM CST
all this discussion still doesn't mean a garrote is a weapon that can be disarmed.

because last I checked, it isn't disarmable.

-James-
player of Fremie

Mirayam says, "You are not a rogue, sir."

Mirayam exclaims, "You are noble!"
Re: Disarming Gremlocks 12/25/2010 10:59 AM CST
>>right hand gets disarmed first, if there is nothing in the right it checks the left. If the left hand never got disarmed archers wouldn't have to worry about it as bows are always in the left hand.<<

Hmm, ok, I don't have any archers so I would not have noticed that. What if you have an arrow in your right hand, does that count as a weapon? I.E., will the arrow be disarmed instead of the bow?

Re: Disarming Gremlocks 12/25/2010 11:30 AM CST
>What if you have an arrow in your right hand, does that count as a weapon?

An arrow is a weapon.

-farmer

-Strath

Re: Disarming Gremlocks 12/26/2010 07:16 AM CST
A garrote is a weapon. They have inflicted damage and even once killed me with the thing. I'd just like for the Guru of this area have a look and see if it is a bug. Once it is fixed ( if possible ) I'll have a sack full of them every hunt I make.

Kilflin
Re: Disarming Gremlocks 12/26/2010 12:30 PM CST
<<A garrote is a weapon. They have inflicted damage and even once killed me with the thing. I'd just like for the Guru of this area have a look and see if it is a bug. Once it is fixed ( if possible ) I'll have a sack full of them every hunt I make.

From a mechanical standpoint, garrotes are not actual items that fit in the weapon profiles. It's probably a script that is used to use them as a garrote. Also, I don't see how one could really disarm a garrote in the first place since you practically have to wrap them around your hands to get the tauntness needed to be able to garrote something. It'd be like trying to disarm a glove someone was wearing. And even if you did hit the garrote, the force of the blow would probably just take off the user's hand. Not to say that wouldn't be neat, but I don't see that happening too.

On the other hand, all the brawling weapons that one would consider to be hand-worn ARE able to be disarmed. But that in-and-of-itself is probably more of a bug than not being able to disarm an item used as a garrote.

-Adam

"You guys took all the pretty places." ~Anonymous