Funky Foraging Failure 04/21/2017 02:10 PM CDT
Heartfire and I were foraging in OTF today and kept finding rooms run dry- even though we weren't successfully finding anything. This was happening in rooms I know contain the herb (white begonia).

I bugged one such room in game (Nezzri's Niche room).

Example of when an issue would appear -

KJR>forage for white begonia
As you carefully forage around you can find no hint of what you are looking for. You are not even positive where it may be found.
Roundtime: 9 sec.

KJR>forage for white begonia
As you forage around, you notice that someone has been foraging here recently and you are unable to find anything useful.

(Move to another room...)

You forage around but find nothing of interest.
Roundtime: 7 sec.
KR>

KR>forage for white beg
d100(Open): 93
As you carefully forage around you can find no hint of what you are looking for. You are not even positive where it may be found.
Roundtime: 9 sec.

KR>forage for white beg
As you forage around, you notice that someone has been foraging here recently and you are unable to find anything useful.
Re: Funky Foraging Failure 04/21/2017 03:14 PM CDT
>As you carefully forage around you can find no hint of what you are looking for. You are not even positive where it may be found.

This line means the item does not exist. In the case of the second room, "beg" is not a forage-able noun - you'd have to type out "begonia" completely.

I'm not sure why you got it for the first room cited since "white begonia" is something that can be foraged for and shouldn't give a response that he item doesn't exist. I get the return that it does exist in game when attempting to forage for it in a different room/region.

Foraging failures still count toward the 5-item limit for reducing the number of forageables available and will make a room run dry even if the item doesn't exist or can't be foraged under those conditions.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Funky Foraging Failure 04/21/2017 03:44 PM CDT
>Foraging failures still count toward the 5-item limit for reducing the number of forageables available and will make a room run dry even if the item doesn't exist or can't be foraged under those conditions.

This. It's actually a success roll, but the room doesn't have that herb.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Funky Foraging Failure 04/21/2017 03:53 PM CDT
The herb was found in all three rooms that this occurred AND I used "forage for white beg" in all three rooms and found the herb. I waited in one room for twenty minutes, had two bad rolls, then was told "it may not be the right place" which immediately resulted in the next attempt as "foraged out." And yes, if using zzherb "beg" would not work, but using it and typing it in, did.

Lord Heartfire Durden the Guardian
Master At Arms
Re: Funky Foraging Failure 04/21/2017 04:09 PM CDT
Hm. I've always heard that you can't abbreviate the noun, but I'm not sure.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Funky Foraging Failure 04/21/2017 04:21 PM CDT
Unless there's been a core change to how foraging works, typing in an abbreviated noun will not get you anything. I can't speak for any scripts that modify how you go about foraging, though. It's possible that they might detect what you are trying to forage for and change the actual output to the game.

- Overlord EK

Re: Funky Foraging Failure 04/21/2017 04:38 PM CDT

I always leave out "for" as well.

forage descriptor noun
Re: Funky Foraging Failure 04/22/2017 10:22 AM CDT

Forage [full noun] is what i akways use. Never needed for and abbreviations never worked for me.
Re: Funky Foraging Failure 04/22/2017 11:03 AM CDT
The 'for' is entirely optional. You can either FORAGE [item] or FORAGE FOR [item] and you'll still get the same results.

- Overlord EK

Re: Funky Foraging Failure 04/22/2017 11:52 AM CDT
The adjective can be abbreviated (or omitted), at some risk of targetting the wrong plant, but the noun has to be exact.