Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/02/2017 04:45 PM CST
Okay, after taking just two champion bounties I am throwing my hat in the ring.

Im a paladin and have a bonded weapon that returns, both times out I was almost slaughtered because I am RT locked, disarmed then wailed on with no way to defend and the chance of losing my weapon. This is just flat out unacceptable. You have a critter that can haste, RT lock you, then disarm? What kind of sense does that make? If there is a mob of champions just lay down and give them your weapon because its over.

I know it sounded right on paper, but after just two bounties I won't be taking anymore or hunting champions at all until they either A, lose disarm, B, lose the RT locks, C lose the haste.
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/02/2017 05:14 PM CST
Also here an ithzir champion, an ithzir champion, an ithzir champion, an ithzir champion.
>
w

You've just avoided the RT lock disarm. If you're standing and fighting a group of them and don't know the disarm maneuver I can't help you.

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/02/2017 05:32 PM CST
The RT lock can come from bellow as well as disarm.
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/02/2017 05:35 PM CST
Nothing like walking in to a one champion room, getting an open endroll disarm, followed be a bellow, then a griffin spawn scream and then wing swipe. :)

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/02/2017 09:54 PM CST
I do agree that the RT lock is excessive. It's not "challenging" when you can't do much to help yourself or change your situation.

~ The girl behind Debia

You swing an invar-hilted serrated glaes falchion at an Ithzir seer!
Amazingly, the Ithzir seer manages to parry the attack with her staff!
The scintillating Debia swings an invar-hilted serrated glaes falchion at you
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/03/2017 06:38 PM CST
I agree. I wasn't intending to RT lock players.

I'm going to chat about it with the team and I'll post here when I have some news. I'm not sure when that will be but I'm bumping it to the top of the list.

Ixix
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/03/2017 07:42 PM CST
Warcry is a big culprit for the RT if you want to reduce it. Unfortunately when you have creatures with multiple maneuvers they tend to stack them up. Add in griffin cry and you have a recipe for a lot of RT. You get a disarm, griffin cry, warcry and tackle and you've easily got over a full minute of RT. Not that it's any different in other areas where creatures use a lot of maneuvers. Feel free to stop creatures from being able to stack RT like we can't on them.

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/03/2017 08:33 PM CST
Rt lock is pretty much the most frustrating wsy to die. I can deal with plain bad luck but RT lock is rage inducing.

I think the worse one in otf was 3 festering taints cast multiple call of the grave on me.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/03/2017 10:05 PM CST
>>I agree. I wasn't intending to RT lock players.

>>I'm going to chat about it with the team and I'll post here when I have some news. I'm not sure when that will be but I'm bumping it to the top of the list.

>>Ixix

Thank you very much, Ixix.

~ The girl behind Debia

You swing an invar-hilted serrated glaes falchion at an Ithzir seer!
Amazingly, the Ithzir seer manages to parry the attack with her staff!
The scintillating Debia swings an invar-hilted serrated glaes falchion at you
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/03/2017 10:33 PM CST

what about making the UAF a little more realistic? 891 in offensive is high. perhaps if there were more people that hunted them using UAC you would see a lot more posts concerning it, but since I'm alone here I would like a little consideration on this issue :)
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/04/2017 07:06 AM CST
Just a quick log to emphasize the current effects. This is not an outlier, I would say most hunts include a lock this long or longer. This one had just one champion that faded in on me after I looted a dead construct. I missed my first kill shot and, before I recover, I get 51 seconds of added roundtime. He attempted RT inducing maneuvers 6 times (4 warcries, one bullrush, one disarm) and attacked with a weapon 7 times all before I could do anything. If I hadn't been as lucky on the rolls, those same attempts could have easily resulted in an even longer lock. You can imagine how it is with multiple champions, griffins with call wind/warcry and constructs with hugs and stomps.

An Ithzir champion fades into view!
The champion's face hardens in concentration, and he starts moving faster than seems possible.
An Ithzir champion swings a jagged crystal-bladed flamberge at you!
AS: +442 vs DS: +521 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +61 = +8
A clean miss.

>stance def
You are now in a defensive stance.
The champion's face hardens in concentration, and he starts moving faster than seems possible.
An Ithzir champion exhales sharply, exerting mightily.
In the nick of time, you interpose your breach pike between yourself and the blow!
>get hy
You pick up a yellow hyacinth.
>stow hy
You put a yellow hyacinth in your crested tabard.
>stance off
>ambush
You are now in an offensive stance.
You thrust with an ash-hafted breach pike at an Ithzir champion!
AS: +612 vs DS: +292 with AvD: +53 + d100 roll: +79 = +452
... and hit for 177 points of damage!
Beautiful shot pierces skull! Amazing the Ithzir champion wasn't killed outright!
Roundtime: 7 sec.
R>stance off
...wait 5 seconds.
R>kill
An Ithzir champion glares at you and lets out a nerve-shattering bellow!
You are startled enough to lose initiative!
Roundtime: 20 sec.
...wait 25 seconds.
[Roll result: 65 (open d100: 72)]
An Ithzir champion swings a jagged crystal-bladed flamberge at your breach pike and connects!
An Ithzir champion fails to knock the pike away!
AS: +422 vs DS: +521 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +32 = -41
A clean miss.
You barely dodge the attack!
You feel the unnatural surge of necrotic power wane away.
Roundtime: 14 sec.
You maintain your resolve, ignoring the unnerving cry!
AS: +422 vs DS: +521 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +12 = -61
A clean miss.
R>stance off
Roundtime: 17 sec.
R>kill
...wait 18 seconds.
...wait 18 seconds.
R>loo
[Old Ta'Faendryl, North Valley]
The sheer stone face of the foothill butts up against the exterior wall of the city. Whatever narrow space once existed between wall and cliff has filled up with the detritus of countless years, now packed into tight seal of dirt and vegetation. You also see an Ithzir champion.
Obvious paths: north, east
[Roll result: 72 (open d100: 34)]
An Ithzir champion rushes towards you and connects with a shoulder check!
You stand firm and manage to maintain your balance.
An Ithzir champion's eyes narrow in focus as he attacks.
AS: +422 vs DS: +521 with AvD: +26 + 60 + d40 roll: +34 = +21
A clean miss.
You evade the attack by a hair!
AS: +422 vs DS: +521 with AvD: +26 + d100 roll: +28 = -45
A clean miss.
R>incant 1615
...wait 1 seconds.
An Ithzir champion's eyes narrow in focus as he attacks.
AS: +422 vs DS: +521 with AvD: +26 + 60 + d40 roll: +22 = +9
A clean miss.
>incant 1615
You quickly intone a battle chant, imploring your patron to lend you aid.
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at an Ithzir champion.
A pillar of ocean blue radiance manifests around an Ithzir champion.
CS: +505 - TD: +381 + CvA: -10 + d100: +94 == +208
Warding failed!
Waves of sacred energy tear through the Ithzir champion's body!
... 43 points of damage!
... 35 points of damage!
Nasty shock to left leg stiffens joints. Nice and painful.
The Ithzir champion is driven to his knees!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>stance off
You are now in an offensive stance.
>ambush
You thrust with an ash-hafted breach pike at an Ithzir champion!
AS: +587 vs DS: +123 with AvD: +53 + d100 roll: +53 = +570
... and hit for 244 points of damage!
Awesome shot shatters ribs and punctures lung!
The Ithzir champion vainly struggles to rise, then goes still.
The light blue glow leaves an Ithzir champion.
The powerful look leaves an Ithzir champion.
The dully illuminated mantle protecting an Ithzir champion begins to falter, then completely fades away.
An Ithzir champion's movements no longer appear to be influenced by a divine power as the spiritual force fades from around his arms.

Necrotic energy from your breach pike overflows into you!

You feel energized!
Roundtime: 7 sec.

Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/04/2017 08:44 AM CST
>This is not an outlier ...

Menos is an elf though (and if DIS is the defense stat for warcries, elfs should suffer most from uphunting critters with them)

That DS is far too low. (either it needs to be doubled or UDF needs to be halved, they are way out of line)
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/04/2017 08:51 AM CST
The UDF is silly high. Unarmed in general works because you have an assured hit but it takes several shots to tier up and start to do real damage.

I think the champion DS is fine, but they're really slacking off on paladin skills. Give them 1615 and 1611. That would make things interesting. Please only do so after backing off the use of RT skills a bit. :) I would much rather have a more dangerous foe that I can actively fight against vs the current totally harmless foe that stacks RT for ages.

Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/04/2017 06:45 PM CST

yeah, DS is crazy low while UDF is crazy high. with 110 for DIS it still makes no difference from what I've noticed.
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/04/2017 10:56 PM CST
This new area is reasonable when hunted by a few solo hunters at the same time, but as soon as a group (usually a multi-accounting horde) enters, it quickly becomes an unfair death trap to everyone else. The same problem commonly occurs in Nelemar when a multi-accounting horde camps on plane two, making it impossible for anyone else to reach the safety of plane 3.

Creature generation rates need to use the number of rooms with any hunter in them instead of the total number of hunters in the area. This needs to be capped so that the monk spell that riles up the room cannot add to an already horrible situation just to benefit the multi-accounting unit.

Tarakan
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/05/2017 06:14 AM CST
>Creature generation rates need to use the number of rooms with any hunter in them instead of the total number of hunters in the area.

I think the number that count should be capped, but while 10 in a room is a major problem for everyone else even when they don't run Provoke, a group of 2 isn't a problem even with Provoke, and small groups do need the extra spawn rate they get or you have the opposite problem of them being so efficient that you never get to kill anything (which is already the case for several solo builds).
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/06/2017 07:57 PM CST

I use provoke almost everytime I am out hunting, but I am very rarely in a group out there. Without it, creature bounties can take forever when I am in there alone which is the sole reason I trained the lores for provoke.
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/07/2017 08:23 AM CST
An update: the UDFs are incorrect, and the fix for that is pending but I'm not certain when it will go live. I'm going to replace that RT inducing warcry with a different skill, we have something in mind but it's going to require a bit of coding so you'll have to hang tight for a little bit.

In regards to spawn rates - disregarding Provoke for now - those are based on (living) PCs in the area (and specifically only the North section for this area), but in OTF in particular there's a lot of moving parts between the different types of critters spawning and the situation can get chaotic - and that's intentional. I don't want it to become un-fun so I am keeping an eye on it, but I'm aiming for a good balance between not being overwhelming and not taking an hour and a half to find 23 adepts for your bounty.

I think that with some time and experience both regular spawning and Provoked spawning in the OTF North section will become more predictable - so I don't want to fiddle with stuff just yet.

Ixix
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/07/2017 09:48 AM CST
RT should use the worse of the existing or new RT, whichever is longer, and not accumulate. Some maneuvers and spells would need to be adjusted up for this but it'd probably be more palatable.
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/07/2017 10:19 AM CST
That all sounds great. I hope you'll also consider giving them a way to boost as. It seems low now and is giving paladins a bad name. 1611 or 117 would do the trick.

Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/07/2017 01:24 PM CST
Thanks for listening to player feedback! Also, I thought the Champions were Warriors?
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/07/2017 09:44 PM CST

Thanks a mill for your update and cannot wait to see the changes. As for the spawn rate I love it, and if the place was swarming I'd still throw provoke up. Currently I'm halfway through the lores to max it, but I've had to put it on hold for a few other choice skills. Would be awesome to see some with UAC fighting skills as well.
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/07/2017 10:50 PM CST
The generation rates do not need to be studied further to conclude the obvious...OTF North is not fairly balanced when it can swarm so quickly with entry of a new group to the area. The battle is fair at normal generation rates when a few solo hunters are there, but it is impossible and stupidly punitive with disarm and steal mechanics in instant swarms that stack RT, dispel all spirit and sorcerer defensive spells, and cast call wind. Provoke is just a selfish spell that has no more business being used in a high traffic area than meteor swarm or open implode. I am certainly not new to OTF, and am 4x capped with top shelf gear. This change has greatly soured OTF for me as a viable option.

Tarakan
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/07/2017 11:27 PM CST
Provoke should just be removed entirely.

http://i.imgur.com/lsWPzG9.gif
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/08/2017 05:32 AM CST
>those are based on (living) PCs in the area

Is this specific to OTF? Elsewhere dead PCs count (though its only Plane 5 I've seen really definitive effects).
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/08/2017 06:50 AM CST
I seem to recall playing a sorcerer back in the day that if my open implosion or maelstrom caught another player I could potentially get in trouble for non-consensual PvP. I trust that Provoke has the same restriction?

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/08/2017 08:24 AM CST
Hey, now - what's all this hating on Provoke? I wish wizards had a spell like this.

It's dangerous out there, and sometimes when you walk into the forest someone might have said the wrong thing to the wrong Ithzir.

Good stuff!

Doug
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/08/2017 08:51 AM CST

Uh... how would Provoke have the same restrictions as maelstrom or open implosion? It doesn't cause any harm or any status effects on a player.
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/08/2017 09:49 AM CST
I guess my point was if you're bringing a massive MA group in there and using provoke to spike the spawn rate I would consider that being disruptive to other players trying to solo hunt the area.

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/08/2017 12:12 PM CST
>> I would consider that being disruptive to other players trying to solo hunt the area

This, I understand. Stepping back, though - I have to ask a question: In a multiplayer game which permits / encourages interactions (groups), penalize the group that casts a spell?

It feels like I should have my toboggan out for the ride.

I do realize that I'm very likely unique in this regard, but I'd be absolutely ok (myself, for me) with a greater than 50% expectation of death soloing in any like level area. I'd like to see it drop to less than 2% (or smaller) for small groups, and at near what I believe current solo hunting permits (near zero) for groups of 3 or more.

I'd like to see death's sting modified slightly to accommodate. I don't want to drive the soloist from the lands - but expecting a soloist to be able to manage what a group can manage? No, I don't think that's a good path, either.

My experience in Platinum is different, and this model may not extend well there. . .

Doug
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/08/2017 01:03 PM CST
>Uh... how would Provoke have the same restrictions as maelstrom or open implosion? It doesn't cause any harm or any status effects on a player.

When Provoke is used to change the critter population of a 20 room area from around 20 to around 120, which I've seen it do on multiple occasions, those critters cause plenty of harm and status effects if you don't get out fast enough.
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/08/2017 01:06 PM CST

I both agree and disagree with you, Doug.

I think there should be grounds for both. Areas where someone can hunt solo, because let's face it, it's just not always viable to hunt with others. Or maybe they're having a lovers spat. Maybe someone's husband suggested that her mother might consider shaving more often, or at the very least, try to gain some perks of becoming a citizen in Zul Logoth. Then again, maybe you're that someone's mother who has a beard that would make any dwarf fidget with jealousy, and it's difficult finding a hunting partner because they're jealous of your dwarfly mane, despite the fact that you're not a dwarf. I was going somewhere with this... but I got lost.

Anyway, areas for hunting solo, and areas for not hunting solo. (Personally, I think Reim is a good area to not hunt solo in -- For MOST folks. Yes, I know, some classes/people/demigods can hunt there on their own -- though, perhaps, I think more areas like that that weren't restricted to 2 hours per day
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/08/2017 09:08 PM CST

I don't think provoke is the issue considering that not many monks can cast it as of yet, and of those that can most don't have very many telepathy lores to make it truly substantial. OTF swarms just from more people being in the area, always has. at 45 ranks of telepathy lore I only gen an extra 5 critters into the room with a max of 8 when I finish my lores, and the only issue I've had are the new champions due to the constant rt issues which as stated the other night are being addressed.

I have hunted in the old city a lot and almost everyone I have talked to are happy with the fact that I am there running provoke. There are certain areas that get more gens than other rooms, and after a few hunts it is easy to figure out where the multitude of creatures are gathered and stay away.

Githros
Re: Ta'Faendryl North 03/09/2017 07:53 AM CST
<<Is this specific to OTF? Elsewhere dead PCs count (though its only Plane 5 I've seen really definitive effects).>>

You're right - I misread something and it's not checking if somebody is dead but rather just making sure that a GameHost or GameMaster who's there to help doesn't affect the spawn rate.

In regards to Provoke, I have no official opinions on that - but just personally I have been in situations where it was frustrating and situations where it was really fun (and both of those have happened in OTF to boot). I think that a lot of the bad experiences with it come from a combination of Provoke and a lot of people in the area but I can't think of any solutions that don't feel like they'd discourage people from grouping up.

Also I just want to say that I appreciate all of the feedback and ideas, it has been very constructive and helpful. I really respect all of your opinions and it's tremendously helpful to hear them.

Ixix
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page