OTF Hunting 06/30/2013 07:54 PM CDT
Okay, so after all of the years I have played Gemstone, I finally have a character high-level enough for OTF. He's an ambushing rogue. I'm not sure if I am going to take him into OTF--he's hunting Maaghara Tower now, though he is quickly outgrowing it, and I am thinking of taking him back to the Landing and trying the Bowels. However, I have a cleric and a ranger who are not that far behind him, so someone will end up in OFT fairly soon. Any hints/advice/cautions anyone may have to share about hunting in OTF would be appreciated. I have ready read back through this folder some, but I thought I'd see if anyone has any specific input.

Thanks in advance,

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: OTF Hunting 07/01/2013 03:50 PM CDT
If you wear defensive spells typically during a hunt, keep in mind that Spellburst can be a challenge for squares.

Seems like the Aqueduct is the next logical step for you to hunt. Here you will find Beings, Taints, and Gremlocks. Highly recommend you have a disk present if you are an ambushing rogue. Why? This is a small area and is a highly script hunted place. If 3 or 4 scripters are in that area it can be quite annoying.

You could try the west and east woods. There you will find Gremlocks and Lesser Constructs. At night the Lich Qyn'arj come out. On a rare occassion you will get some of the higher level creatures wandering into this place. It really on how stirred up that section of OTF.

To reach either of these places you will have to run past the elder creatures of OTF. That path can become a challenge to pass through if some of the larger hunting groups have angered OTF's residents. I would set a ring near the portal. Run to you destination and set another ring, so you can bypass the large mobs.

Peace
Zhelas

(Lord Paladin walks around Droit examining his equipment.)
Lord Paladin: How does he....How does he work?
Re: OTF Hunting 07/01/2013 07:44 PM CDT
Sounds good. Thanks for the response.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: OTF Hunting 07/02/2013 05:11 PM CDT
What level are you, and how much S&H do you have? Any Rogue Guild abilities? Stuff like vanish? What sort of weapon?

Unfortunately, I haven't taken an ambushing rogue that high; I have taken a cleric, empath and mage to cap via the Bowels then OTF route, and part of the time I was with an ambushing rogue; she was using a bow (5x bow, 5x arrows) and was a decent shot at hitting a critter in the eye. But sometimes she would be discovered and get hit. The bowels has a few eccentricities (get purify air!) and is considered a fairly hard hunting spot, but for me the proximity to the Landing made it worth while. But a rogue would probably have a more specific answer for you re tactics.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: OTF Hunting 07/09/2013 10:41 PM CDT
Yeah. The Aqueducts are your next logical step. I set a ring at first, and it kinda ended up being a pain, so I just stopped doing that and went for it. Sometimes, you die and then your weapon and shield get stolen. So don't take anything you aren't willing lose. This is a theme that will continue in OTF.

As for the ducts themselves, they're good hunting for an ambusher, though taints and their grizzled versions especially will be quite dangerous. I'd suggest getting the drop on them before than can blast you with a spell.

OTF as a whole, including the ducts, is very swarmy - so also know how to get back to safety (the Observatory is safe) and don't be afraid to back off for a bit. You don't have to look hard for critters, so it evens out.
Re: OTF Hunting 07/09/2013 10:42 PM CDT
Oh man I'm totes 8 days late on that and that's probably completely unsurprising info now.
Re: OTF Hunting 07/13/2013 08:34 PM CDT
>Oh man I'm totes 8 days late on that and that's probably completely unsurprising info now.

Actually, no. I've been out of town, so I have not been able to play. Thank you (both you and Throgg) for the responses.

--David