Request to modernize OTF 02/24/2013 08:06 AM CST
Many things have changed since OTF was originally designed to provide extreme challenges and class/game balance for capped players. The fact is that fewer now choose OTF when alternative areas are deemed easier, richer, or simply funner. Players have offered several suggestions to improve the area previously, but without much GM enthusiasm to prioritize such requests. Hopefully someone will deem it finally time to modernize the area to attract a larger player base again.

Here's what I would still like to see:

1. Upgrade the Ithzir so that none of them are ever under age 91. Everything in OTF is dangerous and must be culled immediately to prevent swarm risk. It wastes precious mana to cull things that provide no experience for the effort.

2. An additional pelt or skin other than War Griffins would be nice.

3. An undead critter 91+ would be nice.

4. A lost-n-found NPC booth outside the area to identify the previous owner of a lost item and leave for pick up. Unclaimed items after a month would revert to the finder.

5. Area specialization would be nice too. Once you've killed say 100,000 War Griffins, perhaps their screech would become a bit less terrorizing?

6. The preferred target area for spell 130 should be near the portal exit, not where it is now.

If you build it better, they will come!

Tarakan
Re: Request to modernize OTF 02/24/2013 07:14 PM CST
I miss the old critable constructs with 1600 HPs and seers that didn't instant raise unless you AOE them first. I don't have any other specific suggestions in mind, but I do agree OTF needs an update something fierce.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Re: Request to modernize OTF 02/25/2013 10:32 AM CST
I like OTF BECAUSE it is less crowded and easier.

that said, I do think the fogging areas are a little dumb. even with spirit summoning lore I still feel like I hit wrong target most of the time.

I don't think an undead creature really fits the area well.

If Simu is planning on putting a lot of time into developing a hunting area, I'd rather them develop a new one in the Landing or some other place that doesn't have capped hunting. No, Pinefar does not count when you're in the Landing.

~Moredin
Re: Request to modernize OTF 02/25/2013 04:06 PM CST
The whole cap portion of the game needs work. OTF needs a facelift, landing needs a hunting ground, and everyone needs some post cap goals to keep them interested.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Re: Request to modernize OTF 02/25/2013 07:49 PM CST
My biggest problem with OTF (and this was covered by the original post, which I agree with wholeheartedly) is the low level of the critters in there. I don't find the exp rewards commensurate with the danger. I find the critters on plane 4 / the scatter to be much more dangerous, but the hunting more fulfilling because I'm not in there for 30 minutes grinding grinding grinding in an attempt to get fried.
Re: Request to modernize OTF 03/01/2013 01:07 PM CST
>6. The preferred target area for spell 130 should be near the portal exit, not where it is now.

This is the most important factor for me. At times, I've spent hundreds upon hundreds of mana trying to land at the portal only to get the message "You're already there." (or whatever) in the cottage garden. In OTF, having specialized training to make 130 better actually makes it much worse.

>landing needs a hunting ground, and everyone needs some post cap goals to keep them interested.

These two things.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: Request to modernize OTF 03/01/2013 02:01 PM CST
>>>landing needs a hunting ground, and everyone needs some post cap goals to keep them interested.<<

Seriously; have capped 3 characters and wondering why I still play them.

"If you aren't cheating,
you aren't trying hard enough."
Re: Request to modernize OTF 05/23/2013 02:11 PM CDT

>>>landing needs a hunting ground, and everyone needs some post cap goals to keep them interested.<<

>>Seriously; have capped 3 characters and wondering why I still play them.

Someone recently suggested the idea of allowing capped characters to Dual Class, like old style DnD. I'd love to see this as an option, keeping in mind that you'd need to do it differently for Prime/Plat than for Shattered. For Prime/Plat, perhaps allow the character to choose a new class upon reaching cap, but don't allow them access to any of the skills/abilities of their old class until they reach cap again in the new class, at which point they could access both equally. For Shattered I'd love to see it be a multi-class situation where you could choose a new class at cap, and go up over and over eventually picking up the skills/abilities of every class. Talk about keeping people in the game and paying for access for years and years... Of course in shattered, I'd like to see the skills be addative, so you wouldn't lose anything on multi-classing, even temporarily. ;)
Re: Request to modernize OTF 05/25/2013 03:03 PM CDT
Yes please update OTF, because it's garbage at cap, yet still forces you to kill stuff you can't get exp from.

I'm on board for a Landing hunting area too. The goal of spreading out the population has long been accomplished, and it's time to give the Landing some love again.

~ Methais
Re: Request to modernize OTF 05/25/2013 05:19 PM CDT
I had an idea for an OTF update. What if some portals appeared that allowed us to travel to a portion of extradimensional plane that the Ithzir fade into? Similar to the barriers in the scatter, PCs would be able to move freely between them, but the Ithzir in the Forbidden Zone would be stuck there, ala liches.

Honestly it wouldn't need new critters, just fill it with heralds, adepts, and seers. Or adepts, seers, and a couple of new ithzir (ranger flavored? paladin? monk?) would be pretty awesome.

I know I know huge amount of work, lots of other stuff to do, I'm just throwing it out there.
Re: Request to modernize OTF 05/25/2013 06:34 PM CDT
Ithzir monk casts provoke and players on the dais suddenly find themselves running towards OTF.
Re: Request to modernize OTF 05/25/2013 09:23 PM CDT
Ithzir Champions. Paladin class, full plate, lance and a love of the Charge maneuver. Bonus for riding in on a War Griffin, Sheruvian Harbinger style.
Re: Request to modernize OTF 05/25/2013 09:36 PM CDT

Would be a good way to add post cap hunting allowing you to hunt the phased version of OTF. Not sure what nifty things you could do that would let actions done in one dimension to sometimes carry over into the other.
Re: Request to modernize OTF 05/25/2013 09:56 PM CDT
Perhaps upon entering the zone, instead of the Ithzir you're fighting fading on you, you'd periodically phase back into regular OTF for a short period, but would be unable to leave without exiting from special exits inside the phased area. You'd effectively be trapped by the same sorcery as the Ithzir until you found the special way out.
Re: Request to modernize OTF 05/26/2013 10:56 AM CDT
I would not mind seeing a node in the cottage.

Is there a node anywhere in OTF?

Also, is there any place that lich congregate?

Chad, player of a few
Re: Request to modernize OTF 05/27/2013 05:48 PM CDT
As long as we are updating... how about adding some haphip root to the table in the cottage?

Chad, player of a few
Re: Request to modernize OTF 05/31/2013 04:32 PM CDT
>Is there a node anywhere in OTF?

Yes.

>Also, is there any place that lich congregate?

West woods, after dark.

--Jurp