Not Sure if Ever. . . 08/29/2016 07:18 PM CDT
I'm not sure if this question has ever been asked - but since I'm seriously considering making my first square character (yay?), and considering monk (yay?), I thought I'd follow up here.

When I was testing UAC as a wizard during the test phases way back when, I was gently informed (heh) that MM and tier effects weren't meeting my expectations because I was using haste. I thought it a pretty clever design hook to put into a system that was supposed to perhaps make combat slightly longer than what-had-gone-before.

Then, I finished my testing, monks became a 'thing', life progresses and the next thing I know, wizards are getting significant changes. One of these changes was to Haste, including an introduction to the lands of 'quickstrike', which essentially gave a 'mini-haste' capability to all characters in the lands. I took a bit of time to get my head around these changes, what they portended for the wizard, etc.

Progress life forward a bit more, and here we are today. But - stunning thought-provoker- the whole lands (including monks!!) got some benefit from 'quickstrike'. How does that little gem weigh into this MM and tier system deterioration?

Finros / Estild - I hope you can give some answer to that. I don't expect wizards to get a free ride, but I don't expect monks to get shafted out of using 'quickstrike' either - so I'm sure your devious mind came up with something. Care to share?

Doug
Re: Not Sure if Ever. . . 08/30/2016 09:30 AM CDT
Haste never affected tiering for a monk (or rogue) all that much. It was always a massive net benefit. Casting 403 uninvited is asking to get your throat chopped but that was never the case for 506.

Whether having celerity running has the same small negative that 506 used to, or whether that went, I'm not sure, but it would have had to have been much larger than it was to worry a monk or rogue.
Re: Not Sure if Ever. . . 08/31/2016 12:41 AM CDT
There are no longer any penalties for wearing Haste-like spells in unarmed combat. Nor are there penalties for using quickstrike or Celerity.

I had always considered the previous penalties to be a band-aid solution, at best, to the problems posed by Haste-like spells. The need for those penalties went away when we recently revised the various roundtime-modifying systems.
Re: Not Sure if Ever. . . 08/31/2016 06:53 AM CDT
so no tiering up penalty anymore with haste! thats great...does this only apply to monks or all classes?
Re: Not Sure if Ever. . . 08/31/2016 01:47 PM CDT
>>There are no longer any penalties for wearing Haste-like spells in unarmed combat.

Thanks, Finros! Much, much more devious than I would ever have imagined. . . ;)

Doug