1202 question 08/13/2014 01:05 PM CDT
When using 1202 do other mechanisms that penalize you for heavier armor see you as wearing cloth/nothing or the armor group your 1202 is currently emulating?

e.g. For Evade Mastery
Description: Increases your chances of successfully evading an attack. The increase is higher when wearing lighter armor groups. The per rank increase is 9% while wearing Cloth armor, 7% in Leather

Why are vaespilons always smiling? Because they know what's about to happen next...
Re: 1202 question 08/13/2014 02:02 PM CDT
If I understand your question correctly, no, 1202 does not give you penalties to things like Evade Mastery.

As far as I know, 1202 gives you the ASG with none of the penalties. It's like you're wearing cloth armor for everything else.

-The mind behind Rowmi's eyes.
Re: 1202 question 08/13/2014 03:05 PM CDT
Some do and some don't.

e.g. worn accessories only function if Ironskin gives an AsG that would cover the relevant location if it was physical armor. A resistant helm will give its bonuses at AsG 8, but go up a level or train some lore that takes your AsG to 9 and your resistant head becomes vulnerable again.

Evade mastery is pretty difficult to do the test (it takes an awful lot of data under controlled conditions to tie down the percentage that closely) and I don't know whether your bonus is based on cloth or Ironskin AsG. (and I reckon its too small to be worth the CMan points either way)

The theory is what Rowmi says, but unless you do a test you can't be sure its actually been implemented that way for the particular armor feature you are interested in.

There are some major detriments to using Ironskin at cap. If you are reckoning on playing at high level, beware of putting effort into doing up your robes only to find they have to sit in your locker half the time.
Re: 1202 question 08/13/2014 09:31 PM CDT
I appreciate the information. :) Yeah, I've read a number of cautionary tales about 1202 at higher levels (including posts you made in the past, Rathboner). I'm not planning to dump a lot of silvers into my robes, but at the same time I'm going to see where 1202 can take me.

Your comment about worn accessories only functioning when 1202 is covering a particular location. Do you know the reasoning behind that? Regular armor doesn't behave that way, does it?

By the way I'm finding it insanely fun to play a monk (while I hunt to Kung Fu Fighting). I'm very happy with the class so far, even though I'm still relatively low level. It's turning out to not be a cakewalk which is fun after playing exclusively pures. I didn't want to take the easy way out and use UAC as a rogue or warrior. MonkLyfe!

Why are vaespilons always smiling? Because they know what's about to happen next...
Re: 1202 question 08/14/2014 05:51 AM CDT
>Your comment about worn accessories only functioning when 1202 is covering a particular location. Do you know the reasoning behind that? Regular armor doesn't behave that way, does it?

Regular armor your AsG is defined by what you wear. 1202 AsG is defined by what you train. So they have to behave differently.

Regular armor you have to be trained for the AsG the accessories would give you or you take penalties. e.g. if you are trained for AsG 9, wearing AsG 9, and then you put on a helm you'll be penalised as if you were wearing AsG 12 but your helm will work. However, you have the option of wearing AsG 8 in order to get the benefits from your helm without those penalties. If you are trained for AsG 9 Ironskin, AsG 9 is what you have to be. You don't get some of the penalties for helm wearing, but you do take some of them and you don't get any of the benefits either.

I've assisted, bugged, and posted about it. No response beyond a GH saying 1202 gave them problems. Until I actually got to an AsG where my helm worked I didn't realise the reason I was taking death crits that I was pretty sure shouldn't have been death crits, was the Ironskin AsG not covering the head.

I don't know why its set up that way, whether its a bug thats not going to get fixed because its too tricky to code or WAD and if its WAD what the reasoning is.

>I didn't want to take the easy way out and use UAC as a rogue or warrior. MonkLyfe!

If you aren't playing to high level, monk is the easy way.

If you think you might want to have a monk style character at high level, play a magic rogue. Once you've built up enough magic, there's nothing the monk can do to complete and if you decide that using UAC rather than weapons is just too slow and feeble its a fixskill rather than a re-roll to deal with it. Monks are shut out of the skills needed to play like a warrior or rogue (or paladin) but the reverse is not the case. Skills like TWC and MOC are worth more to warriors and rogues than monks, even when the monk is using a weapon.

UAC as a warrior is not easy. Get far enough post cap and you'll eventually outclass a similarly post-cap monk, but UAC for a warrior is a secondary skill with a very small niche of uses. The point about UAC warriors and monks is not that its a good style for a warrior, but that what is a bad style for a warrior will still outclass the best style for a monk.
Re: 1202 question 08/14/2014 06:42 AM CDT
reading all of this makes me very sad. I really liked the idea behind the UAC style. I like the more methodical attack style. But if I'm just going to get clobbered trying to pull it off, in the end it's not really worth it.

Disappointing really. I had a battlerager idea already made up for it and everything.
Re: 1202 question 08/14/2014 09:34 AM CDT
TRINITIS2, it may be tricky at times but it's certainly not impossible. I plan to play my monk to cap and ride this bumpy road. :)

Re: 1202 question 08/14/2014 11:35 AM CDT
>>1202 AsG is defined by what you train.<<

Just to clarify this for me; you are talking about transformation lore, yes? You don't have to actually train in armor skill as well, do you?

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: 1202 question 08/14/2014 12:31 PM CDT
>Just to clarify this for me; you are talking about transformation lore, yes? You don't have to actually train in armor skill as well, do you?

Armor skill is irrelevant to 1202. Level and lore are what defines it.

At such time as 1202 becomes unusable, you will need armor training for whatever physical armor you decide to use. I got to 98 before deciding it was impossible to proceed without physical armor due to requiring warrior slash fittings for Plane 4, others may decide its necessary for TD reasons earlier. I managed TD by avoiding hunting areas where the highest level critter was a caster and squeezing pretty much every scrap of TD possible out of CMans, my own and outside spells and enhancives.
Re: 1202 question 08/14/2014 03:51 PM CDT
I've assisted, bugged, and posted about it. No response beyond a GH saying 1202 gave them problems. Until I actually got to an AsG where my helm worked I didn't realise the reason I was taking death crits that I was pretty sure shouldn't have been death crits, was the Ironskin AsG not covering the head.

I don't know why its set up that way, whether its a bug thats not going to get fixed because its too tricky to code or WAD and if its WAD what the reasoning is.

That was a bug.

I looked into that after seeing your bug report and found the problem and fixed it. However, it was actually a 2-part bug, and one part was approved and put in, the other part is still pending on another unrelated issue (that I am not working on) but that hopefully will be released soonish.

~Contemplar~
Re: 1202 question 08/15/2014 03:04 AM CDT
That's great to hear. Thanks, Contemplar!