UAC using monks need some love 11/13/2013 12:22 PM CST
Here is my level 38 brawling rogue hunting the glacier, i.e. like level foes. Ordinarily she'd use a sai and shield (for better DS ... she has no TWC training), but UAC with both hands open works well also. She has 4x hand and foot wraps and wears 4x brigandine armor. Don't have your monks try this, you will hurt yourselves.

She is, of course, attacking from hiding. No set up jabs are needed, no feints or other ancillary actions, no problem using relatively heavy armor ... just sheer forceful violence of a kick strike. The only reason she needs two strikes is that she has to take out the giant-sized foe's legs out first in order to hit the head/neck. The point is, and I have said this before, ambushing rogues and rangers shouldn't be better at using UAC combat than the profession that was specifically designed to use this system.
>>e
[Glatoph, Glacier]
Vaguely, you can make out the shadow of a large snowy hill off to the southwest. To the east, the nebulous shapes of smaller mounds can be seen, although peering through the harsh flurries makes your eyes smart and water. You also see a frost giant, a handaxe and a reinforced shield.
Obvious paths: northeast, south, west
>hide
A frost giant snatches up a reinforced shield!
A frost giant swings a war hammer at you!
You evade the attack by inches!
>
Roundtime: 3 sec.
You attempt to blend with the surroundings and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
HR>stance off
You are now in an offensive stance.
H>kick giant left leg
You leap from hiding to strike!
You make a precise attempt to kick a frost giant!
You have good positioning against a frost giant.
UAF: 252 vs UDF: 222 = 1.135 * MM: 96 + d100: 80 = 188
... and hit for 70 points of damage!
Low axe kick drives into side of left knee, shattering the joint!
The frost giant is knocked to the ground!
The frost giant is stunned!
The frost giant starts to favor his wounded leg!
Roundtime: 6 sec.
R>
A frost giant throws his head back and howls, shaking off the stun!
>hide
You attempt to blend with the surroundings and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
HR>
HR>kick giant head
You make a precise attempt to kick a frost giant!
You have excellent positioning against a frost giant.
UAF: 252 vs UDF: 217 = 1.161 * MM: 103 + d100: 15 = 134
... and hit for 76 points of damage!
Flying roundhouse lands severe blow to the head! Brain begins to ooze out through the ears!
The frost giant cries out in cold agony one last time and dies.
The deep blue glow leaves a frost giant.
The light blue glow leaves a frost giant.
The powerful look leaves a frost giant.
Roundtime: 6 sec.<<

I want my monk to be able to do this from the open! I want her UAC to look like she's in a Bruce Lee movie!

OK, my monk is only level 10; perhaps like many skills UAC becomes more effective the more experienced you get, but right now I am not seeing this. Among other things, she often has to wait until the critter acts (i.e. comes out of defensive) in order to be able to hit them. Old style stance dancing ... which more or less works now, but is pretty much suicide if done from the open later on in the game, when critters have spells and maneuver attacks.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: UAC using monks need some love 11/13/2013 12:44 PM CST
Level 32 rogue vs level 36 snow crone ... no leg set up needed.

>>A ball of snow rolls in and forms into a snow crone!
>hide
HR>stance off
H>kick crone head
You make a precise attempt to kick a snow crone!
You have good positioning against a snow crone.
UAF: 212 vs UDF: 210 = 1.009 * MM: 96 + d100: 83 = 179
... and hit for 80 points of damage!
Brutal head kick flips the snow crone over! Cracked skull!
The snow crone falls to the ground motionless.
The bright luminescence fades from around a snow crone.
Roundtime: 6 sec.<<

I know what you are going to say; ambushers are SUPPOSED to get a lot of one shot kills, and I should be comparing monk combat from the open with a warrior. Well, but warriors are designed to fight from the open, and shrug off any hits they take with their heavy armor and lots of redux, while my robe wearing monk gets shredded. Not to mention things like focused M-Strikes with heavy hitting weapons.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: UAC using monks need some love 11/13/2013 01:32 PM CST
OK, best I could do on short notice; level 27 warrior vs level 26 tree spirit. She's a Voln master and they are undead, so to be fair I didn't use any symbols. Yes, this open combat takes a lot longer by comparison (28 seconds vs the 6 for the ambusher ... ok, 9 if you count the hiding RT) but warriors are designed to take the damage. She's in MBP armor.

>>ne
[Upper Trollfang, Winding Trees]
Trees upon trees crisscross in front of your eyes making you feel a bit dizzy. There is a faint scent of cothinar in the air but you cannot find any sign of the flower nearby. You also see a tree spirit.
Obvious paths: east, southwest
>
Gusts of heavy snowfall blow across the area.
>
The spirit whispers with a sinister voice carried on the wind!
A tree spirit whistles a soft, malicious tune!
>wtrick feint
[Roll result: 173 (open d100: 86) Penalties: 0]
You feint to the left, the tree spirit buys the ruse and twists awkwardly to block the blow that never came!
R>mstrike spir
You concentrate intently, focusing all your energies.
You explode into a fury of strikes and ripostes, moving with a singular purpose and will!
You swing a well-made vultite mattock at a tree spirit!
AS: +250 vs DS: +142 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +73 = +216
... and hit for 88 points of damage!
A massive blow to the right shoulder hoists the tree spirit high into the air.
It hangs there a moment, suspended, before falling forward.
AS: +250 vs DS: +138 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +18 = +165
... and hit for 50 points of damage!
Smash to the chest!
Good thing there were no ribs there to shatter.

Your series of strikes and ripostes leaves you winded and out of position.
Roundtime: 8 sec.
R>
A tree spirit gestures at you!
You notice a small cloud form above you.
R>
You feel fully energetic again.
R>at
AS: +250 vs DS: +115 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +21 = +191
... and hit for 62 points of damage!
Hard shot to the tree spirit's back sends it drifting forward!
Roundtime: 5 sec.
R>
The spirit whispers with a sinister voice carried on the wind!
A tree spirit tries to ensnare you!
AS: +160 vs DS: +81 with AvD: +50 + d100 roll: +23 = +152
... and hits for 5 points of damage!
Impotent blow.
R>at
AS: +250 vs DS: +113 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +13 = +185
... and hit for 54 points of damage!
Good hit!
Right shoulder is ripped from its socket, then wriggles back into place.
R>
You notice the storm cloud begin to churn rapidly!
R>
A tree spirit whistles a soft, malicious tune!
R>mstrike spir
You are still a bit winded from your last flurry of attacks, but you focus to push the strain in your muscles from your mind.
You concentrate intently, focusing all your energies.
You explode into a fury of strikes and ripostes, moving with a singular purpose and will!
The tree spirit barely dodges the attack!
AS: +250 vs DS: +192 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +71 = +164
... and hit for 44 points of damage!
Hit passes right through the midsection.
Nothing hurts like an empty stomach.
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the tree spirit's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
The tree spirit slowly settles to the ground and begins to dissipate.

Your series of strikes and ripostes leaves you winded and out of position.
Roundtime: 8 sec.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: UAC using monks need some love 11/13/2013 02:41 PM CST
To be fair, you shouldnt compare crit killing a corporeal creature to bleeding out a non-corp. On average ambushing with UAC is comparable to traditional melee forms eg Hide/feint, punch/kick/ambush head. Can't say the same for open UAC which doesn't look like it will change given comments. I hope other cmans or status effects get changed to have a similar effect as ambushing. Im STILL not sure why it got such a unique advantage when you can justify a lot of things to give just as good of an opening to punch something in the face such as web, bind, almost any offnsive cman, etc. Maybe it would be too OP?
Re: UAC using monks need some love 11/13/2013 06:25 PM CST
>>To be fair, you shouldn't compare crit killing a corporeal creature to bleeding out a non-corp.<<

Actually, I suspect that attacking a living creature would make the comparison between monk and warrior fighting from the open even worse; I can use warrior maneuvers like bull rush or guild skills like tackle or warcry against them; Non-corps are immune to such things. Also live foes will often stun or crit with weapons. I don't think the monk's spells make up for the armor/cman/guild advantages warriors have. My warrior, who has both brawling and THW skills, also seems to have access to the brawling CMans just like monks. Punch mastery and such. Of course, I suspect using UAC with her would be much less effective, since she is in metal plate armor, so she's not going to waste time learning those.

I was going to use the Spider Temple as an example, as the priests there are alive and pretty much the same level, but figured I'd get my gal some favor while I was at it. Maybe I'll try the Temple next.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: UAC using monks need some love 11/13/2013 06:42 PM CST

The warrior would also have the advantage from the open by training shield maneuvers. Shielded Brawler rank 5 means a 2x Shield Use trained warrior can hold a tower shield with only 9 MM penalty. A monk holding a single light class UAC friendly weapon gets a 5 MM penalty, if the monk held 2 light or 1 medium class UAC friendly weapon then they would have a 10 MM penalty.

Monks are required to hold a weapon to use Spell Parry, Feint (below rank 5), Disarm (below rank 5), Charge, Garrote, Subdual Strike, Trip and possibly others on their list. So 7 out of 36 of their non-stance cman list.

However ... holding a weapon means 1214's parry of non magical bolts and disarm on parry and I think double outright parry abilities don't work. I'm too tired to think of what else this affects.

So, hold a tower shield, get the increased DS, flares and spikes on offensive use, reactive spikes (with the shield man training) and get access to all of the other awesome warrior shield maneuvers for a cost of 9 MM.

OR

Hold a cestus for 5 MM penalty in order to get half the flare chance, a .025 increase to DF and lose access to almost 20% of your cman's, lose most of 1214's abilities, become vulnerable to disarm, etc.

Which would you choose?

I don't begrudge other classes being great at UAC. The adjustments were needed to make UAC viable in the current GS4 gaming environment. I just think monk's should get their own grab bag of goodies that every other class has received from EVERY adjustment to the UAC system since release. The class doesn't even need much, just some nudges to key systems.

p.s. Dang, now I want to make a tower shield/UAC giantman warrior that ambushes heads with punches after trampling with his shield. :)
Re: UAC using monks need some love 11/13/2013 08:21 PM CST
A monk can hunt frosties without problems at level 30, never mind 38. You probably shouldn't take dangerous critter tasks until level 32, because of just how difficult it would be to tier if you got one right at the top of the level range. You can bleed them out at decent, but it takes a painfully long time.

You need to get close to level 30 to get the CMans, aiming skill, spells and mana to use them in place, but once you have them, critters without lethal manoevers or CS spells are cake.

1207, jab and tier up if you get lucky while waiting for it to stand. Once its stood up, punch its leg to knock it back down again and its head to finish it. In the unlikely event that you don't tier before its ready to swing, 1207 it again. If your fire flares go off and stun it while its still in defensive, feint rather than wait for it to stand up to stance it.

Once a frostie is stanced, you are virtually certain to get a knockdown from a leg punch and pretty likely to crit kill with a head punch, even with only one tier. The lesser ice giant is the only one of the cold giants with enough armor/padding to make getting excellent desirable.
Re: UAC using monks need some love 11/13/2013 08:52 PM CST
<Which would you choose?>

Neither, it's too important to keep my MM as high as possible since the first couple attacks HAVE to get through and I don't need the defense if they succeed (besides, training to use a shield would take points away from other things I need). At level 22 my monk does just fine with 4x gloves/boots/robes and his spells. THROGG said she wants to do it like Bruce Lee and that's pretty much what you have to do, in a way.

I wait in defensive for the critter to attack me before opening up with a JAB or PUNCH. Before it can make a second attack, I've already made two attacks, one of which has stunned, slowed, put to sleep, made prone, and/or (if I'm lucky) removed a limb of the critter. If a second critter enters at this point, the first is usually sufficiently disabled to allow me to either attack it or use Force Projection and alternate my attacks between them and whatever else enters (Bruce Lee never leaped into a crowd and started swinging his fists, he waited for them to come to him). If what I'm fighting has a spell or maneuver that I really don't want to be the target of (warfarers), I open with Force Projection rather then waiting for them to attack first (Bruce Lee never had to deal with ewave or claids).

You can't try to make your monk work like another profession, you have to use them like a monk. I don't need a shield or weapon because I 3x in dodge, my gloves and boots both flare, Brace allows me to parry, and JAB/PUNCH/GRAPPLE/KICK attacks have the safe effects as most maneuvers that require a weapon or shield (even if they are random). If I need something extra, I have spells (which most rogues won't have until much later and most warriors will never have) and Voln. To be perfectly honest, my monk is having it much easier in his 20s then my warrior, empath, or ranger did and isn't far off from my rogue.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: UAC using monks need some love 11/13/2013 08:52 PM CST
Yes, I was starting to suspect that monks were a profession that needed time and levels to reach a decent hunting ability; sort of like sorcerers. But level 30 seems a bit much. Folks playing low level monks are likely to get discouraged, especially if they are unaware of this. Not a good design concept there, IMO. But I can probably get my monk (who, like all my folks, is in Voln) to 25 or so just by hunting undead in the GY; the lower level undead are laughably slow in their movements and attack cycles. Also, I have noticed that if I underhunt her moderately, she can get results just like my ambushing rogue, except from the open and not hiding.

Level 10 monk vs level 6 mummies. Note: I totally gave up on the tiering up nonsense, and just went for the money attacks, punch and kick, from the start. The following excerpt is quite typical. She almost always got 2 shot kills, occasionally needing 3 attacks. Is this just due mostly to the level difference?

>>w
[Hall of the Dead, Vault Room]
Although not as ornately carved as some in these halls, the niches here are neat. The placards are simply decorated, while still reflecting some form of family wealth. You also see a lesser mummy.
Obvious exits: east, west, northwest
>stance offen
> punch
>
>
You attempt to punch a lesser mummy!
You have decent positioning against a lesser mummy.
UAF: 88 vs UDF: 60 = 1.466 * MM: 100 + d100: 71 = 217
... and hit for 49 points of damage!
Sinking strike to the gut.
R>stance offen
> kick
>
You attempt to kick a lesser mummy!
You have decent positioning against a lesser mummy.
UAF: 88 vs UDF: 56 = 1.571 * MM: 110 + d100: 41 = 213
... and hit for 80 points of damage!
Front kick to midsection doubles the lesser mummy over!
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the lesser mummy's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
The lesser mummy falls to the ground motionless.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: UAC using monks need some love 11/13/2013 10:03 PM CST
<Level 10 monk vs level 6 mummies. Note: I totally gave up on the tiering up nonsense, and just went for the money attacks, punch and kick, from the start. The following excerpt is quite typical. She almost always got 2 shot kills, occasionally needing 3 attacks. Is this just due mostly to the level difference?>

Yes. Under-hunting you'll find you don't need to tier up as much, but like level or above tiering up is more important. Once you get into your 20s you should have the mana to make use of 1207 and even now you should notice that, while you're attacks will never kill quickly against like level (like a rogue or warrior), they will do a much better job of disabling then standard attacks to.

Even if you don't stun or injure the critter, jabs, punches, etc can put your foe into RT, put them to sleep, prevent them from casting, etc. Granted, it depends on where you hit them so exactly which effects you get isn't as reliable as CMANs, but they happen frequently enough that you'll usually have as much of an advantage as if you were using cmans after a couple attacks.

Also, if you hunt living critters, it's well worth getting a collection of flaring gloves/boots and matching the flares to the weaknesses of what you're hunting. Fire flares against trolls, for example, give you an almost unfair advantage.

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: UAC using monks need some love 11/13/2013 10:56 PM CST
Also, I totally forgot ... I have one rank each of punch and kick mastery. If I am reading the rules correctly, doesn't that give an automatic one rank tier up using those attack modes?

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: UAC using monks need some love 11/14/2013 12:34 AM CST
<doesn't that give an automatic one rank tier up using those attack modes?>

No, what it does is add 5 MM per rank when you use those attacks and it increases your chance to get a tier up opportunity when using those attacks by 5% per rank. So with three ranks in kick mastery, you'd have a 15% greater chance to be able to tier up when KICKing.

I find Punch Mastery to be the most useful of the three because it allows me to lead with punches rather then jabs and seems to give me close to the same rate tiering up as jab does. Kick and grapple are generally too slow for the first attack, (with punch I can get two attacks in and still have time to get back into defensive if I have to with most critters) and I usually don't need the extra MM those provide.

Starchitin

Re: UAC using monks need some love 11/14/2013 01:50 PM CST

>>Neither, it's too important to keep my MM as high as possible since the first couple attacks HAVE to get through and I don't need the defense if they succeed (besides, training to use a shield would take points away from other things I need). At level 22 my monk <snip>

The comparison was with a warrior using a shield, not a monk. Of course a monk shouldn't be training Shield Use due to their ludicrous tp cost for the skill and lack of shield maneuvers (which also would mean a much larger MM penalty).

Also, your problems will begin shortly as you start to face spell casting mobs in most hunting area as you head into your mid to upper 20's. No amount of spells will overcome the monk's CvA deficit so you'll need to start using Feint which will require a weapon unless you have Rank 5 in it (at a cost of 27 CM points).

>>I wait in defensive for the critter to attack me before opening up with a JAB or PUNCH.

This will not work much longer, see above.

>>You can't try to make your monk work like another profession, you have to use them like a monk.

Yes, this is true.

>>I don't need a shield or weapon because I 3x in dodge, my gloves and boots both flare, Brace allows me to parry, and JAB/PUNCH/GRAPPLE/KICK attacks have the safe effects as most maneuvers that require a weapon or shield (even if they are random).

The entire point of my post is that you will be required to use weapons to use certain cman's, at least one of which (Feint) is mandatory once you start facing casters. When you use a weapon you won't gain any effects from Brace except for the chance to disarm when something hits your arms.

None of the UAC attacks will be effective at shutting down a caster without tiering up, thus the point of using Feint.

I was making the point that for a similar or lower cost in MM penalty, warriors gain only benefits from holding an item (a shield) if they so choose, whereas monks are REQUIRED to use a weapon for several cman's and said weapon use gives them both a MM penalty and screws up Brace among other things.
Re: UAC using monks need some love 11/14/2013 02:58 PM CST
There are only 3 square professions. We already know how rogues hunt, using either weapons or UAC they are designed for fast kills. Warriors are designed to duke it out toe to toe with heavy armor and a nice CvA. Monks are designed to ... well, I'm not sure what. Among other things, TPs are in very short supply, especially mental. Are monks seriously supposed to train in mental lores also?? I even pumped up my mental stats from the start, knowing I'd need them and I am STILL short of MTPs.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: UAC using monks need some love 11/14/2013 03:11 PM CST
This is what I have so far at level 10. As mentioned, I shorted the physical TPs in order to get more mental, and those are even so in short supply.

>
Level: 10 Deeds: 1
Experience: 127278 Death's Sting: None
Exp. until next: 12722 Recent Deaths: 0
Mental TPs: 14 Fame: 39890
Physical TPs: 18 Mana: 20/20 max

Your mind is fresh and clear.

You feel a strange sense of serenity and find that you are able to reflect on recent events with uncommon clarity and understanding.
>inf
Name: Guinlin Race: Giantman Profession: Monk (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 64 (22) ... 64 (22)
Constitution (CON): 65 (17) ... 65 (17)
Dexterity (DEX): 63 (1) ... 63 (1)
Agility (AGI): 62 (1) ... 62 (1)
Discipline (DIS): 65 (7) ... 65 (7)
Aura (AUR): 62 (1) ... 62 (1)
Logic (LOG): 80 (10) ... 80 (10)
Intuition (INT): 79 (14) ... 79 (14)
Wisdom (WIS): 79 (14) ... 79 (14)
Influence (INF): 77 (18) ... 77 (18)
Mana: 20 Silver: 0
>skill
Guinlin (at level 10), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Two Weapon Combat..................| 50 10
Combat Maneuvers...................| 90 20
Brawling...........................| 102 24
Physical Fitness...................| 132 36
Dodging............................| 128 34
Harness Power......................| 25 5
Perception.........................| 15 3
Climbing...........................| 58 12
Swimming...........................| 50 10

Spell Lists
Minor Mental.......................| 6
Training Points: 18 Phy 14 Mnt

OK, her perception and harness power are meager, she has enough TPs saved up to get the last 2 ranks of dodge, but she could also use more CMans, so I am undecided; I'll keep them uncommitted for now.

Another way in which warriors are better off is that they have a guild! If you notice, my post with a warrior vs Tree spirit, she used WTrick feint, not a CMan. Monks needing to use feint will have to waste CMan points to learn this tactic.

I suggest that spell 1204 be adjusted to grant the CvA as well as the AsG of the armor type being magically created, that monks be able to feint barehanded from rank 1, and that costs for things like HP and mental lores be lowered.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: UAC using monks need some love 11/14/2013 03:15 PM CST
O, and you notice I can barely train my monk in the core profession skills. I have zero MTPs left over for ancillary skills like, say, AS or MIU.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: UAC using monks need some love 11/14/2013 08:48 PM CST
AGIDEX of 2 is going to be painful. More than 23 doesn't help all that much, but less will hurt badly when you aim.
Re: UAC using monks need some love 11/14/2013 11:12 PM CST

I would also drop to 1 rank or .5x in TWC, drop to 2x in PF, maybe drop to 2x in Dodge (at least while going heavy in spells). Use the points to get up to 2x in CM, more spells down the road and the ancillary skills you want.

I did like charging hard for 1220, but it'll mean you need to cut back on other things.

Oh and I gave up on Mental Lore, Transformation and 1202 on my monk, going to grab 50 ranks of Armor Use and wear torso chain (50 ranks for minimum MnM spell hindrance) once May rolls around.
Re: UAC using monks need some love 12/13/2013 07:29 AM CST

I keep hearing the same people complain about UAC and monks compared to other people.

This clip is about how it goes for most of my hunts

You make a precise attempt to punch an Ithzir scout!
You exploit the momentum of your previous strike to make a stronger attack against an Ithzir scout!
You have good positioning against an Ithzir scout.
UAF: 619 vs UDF: 417 = 1.484 * MM: 111 + d100: 34 = 198
Solid blow to the jaw leaves the Ithzir scout spitting blood... and teeth!
The Ithzir scout is stunned!
The Ithzir scout chokes, momentarily unable to speak!
Strike leaves foe vulnerable to a followup punch attack!
Roundtime: 4 sec.
R>
An Ithzir adept fades into view!
An Ithzir adept thrusts both palms toward you!
An Ithzir adept hurls a roaring ball of fire at you!
AS: +379 vs DS: +590 with AvD: +45 + d100 roll: +35 = -131
A clean miss.
>punch head
You have excellent positioning against an Ithzir scout.
UAF: 619 vs UDF: 388 = 1.595 * MM: 117 + d100: 89 = 275
... and hit for 94 points of damage!
Explosive punch to the face leaves little else than a pulpy mass of blood, bone, and brain matter!
The Ithzir scout falls to the ground in a crumpled heap.
R>
An Ithzir adept closes her eyes while incanting an alien phrase.
R>search
You search the Ithzir scout.
You discard the scout's useless equipment.
She didn't carry any silver.
She had a lavender shimmarglin sapphire on her!
She also left a tiny golden seed behind.
She had nothing else of value.
An Ithzir scout's body shimmers slightly, then fades from view like a dissipating phantom.
>punch head
You make a precise attempt to punch an Ithzir adept!
You exploit the momentum of your previous strike to make a stronger attack against an Ithzir adept!
You have excellent positioning against an Ithzir adept.
UAF: 619 vs UDF: 559 = 1.107 * MM: 109 + d100: 11 = 131
... and hit for 49 points of damage!
Awesome punch to forehead snaps head straight back with a sickening CRUNCH!
The Ithzir adept clutches at her wounds as she falls, the life fading from her eyes.
The Ithzir adept no longer bristles with energy.
The glowing specks of energy surrounding an Ithzir adept suddenly shoot off in all directions, then quickly fade away.
The tingling sensation and sense of security leaves an Ithzir adept.
The brilliant luminescence fades from around an Ithzir adept.
An Ithzir adept becomes solid again.
The bright luminescence fades from around an Ithzir adept.
R>
An Ithzir scout makes no sound as he slips in.
R>search
You search the Ithzir adept.
She had a twisted crystal-tipped staff.
You discard the adept's remaining useless equipment.
She didn't carry any silver.
She had nothing of interest.
An Ithzir adept's body shimmers slightly, then fades from view like a dissipating phantom.
>punch head
You exploit the momentum of your previous strike to make a stronger attack against an Ithzir scout!
You have excellent positioning against an Ithzir scout.
UAF: 619 vs UDF: 641 = 0.965 * MM: 73 + d100: 66 = 136
... and hit for 44 points of damage!
Palm strike to face drives nose straight into brain!
The Ithzir scout falls to the ground in a crumpled heap.
R>search
You search the Ithzir scout.
He had a gleaming steel broadsword.
You discard the scout's remaining useless equipment.
He didn't carry any silver.
He had a shimmertine shard on him!
He had nothing else of value.
An Ithzir scout's body shimmers slightly, then fades from view like a dissipating phantom.

While I agree with the TD issues monks have, but no complaints at all about the UAC system

Russ
Re: UAC using monks need some love 12/13/2013 08:05 AM CST

Ithzir are swarmy enough to continually benefit from Rolling Krynch yes?

At your level is 1219 useful at all? My UAC monk is nearly level 50 and I continue to enjoy it but I also know the hunting areas up until this point have been fairly forgiving. I've been holding back a substainal amount of TPs not knowing quite how I want to handle some upcoming difficulties.

If 1219 is useful, I'll simply need more mana as my 25 ranks at level 49 is enough for using 1207 when needed but not much more. (Col, so don't have GoS upkeep)

How much MoC do you have and have you noticed how much Krynch benefits from the training.
Re: UAC using monks need some love 12/13/2013 09:39 AM CST

here is how I'm trained - I use vertigo pretty often. But with only 132 mana, and it being 19, it's mostly saved. I tend to use force projection upon greeting a fight. I often look for 1 creature hanging out by itself to tier up on, and then as the swarm builds I i switch back and forth between targets. it takes more work than some of the other classes, but I've found, and this may be considered cheating, that if I leg one creature, and remove it's ability to cause me harm, I can keep coming back to it if my tiering up against other foes in the room doesnt go well.

For instance , I will knock over a greater construct and get to max tier on them, then as other creatures enter the room, I switch to them, if I fail a good tier achievement from Krynch, then I jab the construct again, do minimal damage and refresh my chance to be 2nd or 3rd tier when I switch back to the new creature. I have tried using some of the other stances, but I've found that krynch is the best one to use. I did use slippery mind a lot when fighting liches or other casting only areas.

My CS wards most things that are like level - and part of it depends which area I want to kill things. For the Old City I use force projection and feint and stay completely melee, only pulling vertigo if I think it's going to be a live situation. In the temple on teras I tend to use 1210 a lot and then FP and feint, as they are a lot easier to ward than the creatures in OTF.

I tried every combo of monk that there is during the breaking in process. As a monk you can DW one handed axes for 10 open strikes or 8 focused strikes in 6 seconds. If you use daggers or short swords I had it at 5 seconds. The 2 weapon build was light on spells though, as I only had about 15 of them and have found that I enjoy UAC more. I wish there was a way to somehow give monks better options when it came to multi attacks. they currently are not so great when it comes to handling swarms.

I've found hunting with a partner makes most of the holes in monks go away. Do they still need some work? I think a little, yes. But it's not as bad as many people are making it out to be.

The lower levels are the hardest, as you push to get to dragonclaw and 1x in spells to level 9. It does eventually even out, though I'm still converting training points. I know once I get past the cap threshold it will even out more.

It's often one of those "pick your battles" things. Know which creatures you will be more effective against and which ones you will want to avoid.

I love being a monk. :)

(at level 95), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Combat Maneuvers...................| 294 194
Brawling...........................| 300 200
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 151 51
Physical Fitness...................| 391 291
Dodging............................| 391 291
Magic Item Use.....................| 136 38
Harness Power......................| 142 42
Mental Mana Control................| 105 25
Mental Lore - Transformation.......| 70 15
Survival...........................| 150 50
Perception.........................| 140 40
Climbing...........................| 150 50
Swimming...........................| 150 50

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 20

Spell Lists
Minor Mental.......................| 20

Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 100 (30) ... 138 (49)
Constitution (CON): 100 (25) ... 110 (30)
Dexterity (DEX): 100 (25) ... 139 (44)
Agility (AGI): 100 (25) ... 138 (44)
Discipline (DIS): 100 (25) ... 114 (32)
Aura (AUR): 93 (21) ... 103 (26)
Logic (LOG): 100 (30) ... 110 (35)
Intuition (INT): 92 (26) ... 102 (31)
Wisdom (WIS): 82 (16) ... 92 (21)
Influence (INF): 56 (3) ... 66 (8)
Mana: 132
Re: UAC using monks need some love 12/13/2013 09:59 AM CST
> At your level is 1219 useful at all? My UAC monk is nearly level 50 and I continue to enjoy it but I also know the hunting areas up until this point have been fairly forgiving. I've been holding back a substainal amount of TPs not knowing quite how I want to handle some upcoming difficulties.

I use 1219 a lot for bandits. The more mana I have the more I use it on them. I find CS spells usable for animals and bandits (with a LOG of 30, if yours is significantly lower you may not find it useful at all).

Illistim is pretty easy from glacial slushes etc. through black forest (1210 rather than 1207 for the vipers). You wont need anything extra till you've finished those if that's the place you hunt. Teras is fairly similar except you need cold rather than fire flarers. I wouldn't touch the citadel in RR without a pet wizard whatever training you have. However, after my first experience of stone giants, I bumped my mana from 102 to 120 for all the extra 1207 casts when the critter will fall on top of you if you just pull its leg off. If you want to hunt Illoke you need more mana because you will often have to keep knocking them down with 1207. I probably use double the 1207 casts per mystic that I do per MTK.

I have 25 ranks MoC which provides useful FoF (its what is needed to prevent FoF when facing 2 higher level or 3 same level foes). I don't regard it as useful for krynch, but I like stopping bandits getting FoF on me.
Re: UAC using monks need some love 12/13/2013 11:33 AM CST

>>For instance , I will knock over a greater construct and get to max tier on them, then as other creatures enter the room, I switch to them, if I fail a good tier achievement from Krynch, then I jab the construct again, do minimal damage and refresh my chance to be 2nd or 3rd tier when I switch back to the new creature.

I like this.

>>My CS wards most things that are like level

This is good to hear, MTPs are in short supply..but I as a player am ok with the idea of training fairly heavily in HP even as a square.

>>I wish there was a way to somehow give monks better options when it came to multi attacks. they currently are not so great when it comes to handling swarms.

I tried a warcamp several times one day and couldn't quite make my current training work for a successful hunt. I lived but didn't kill very much. I'm sure it is doable with a different build, tactics, or gear but swarms certainly are far more challenging on my monk than most if not all of my other hunting viable characters.

>>I've found hunting with a partner makes most of the holes in monks go away.

Only issue I have with this is that I find myself only tagging when I hunt with others, since they can usually kill far quicker. I'm ok with my monk being turned into a sidekick when grouphunting, but this is certainly one of the things that I know is irksome to a number of people.

>>I love being a monk. :)

I certainly enjoy playing mine. I do have a few non uac builds I'd like to try and I know at which level range I want to experiment, but I'll likely return to uac afterwards. Eager to someday have those postcap TPs for some builds that simply are possible while leveling.

>>Stats

What level did you convert? I'm surprised you didn't place for max since you were likely a fairly high level already. I know around level 80 for me is when a character placed for max stat growth really has left behind any weaknesses. Granted I suppose you are simply missing some elem/spirit TD and a minor amount of DS from the intuition.
Re: UAC using monks need some love 12/13/2013 02:55 PM CST
>>You make a precise attempt to punch an Ithzir scout!
You have good positioning against an Ithzir scout.
UAF: 619 vs UDF: 417 = 1.484 * MM: 111 + d100: 34 = 198
Solid blow to the jaw leaves the Ithzir scout spitting blood... and teeth!
The Ithzir scout is stunned!
The Ithzir scout chokes, momentarily unable to speak!
Strike leaves foe vulnerable to a followup punch attack!
Roundtime: 4 sec.<<

Your monk is clearly near cap; note the huge UAF:UDF differential. The system seems to work in such a way that it's easier to hit a like level opponent the more you progress. This is true of warding spells, bolt spells, weapons, CMan maneuvers etc. My cleric, for example, can autoward anything except level 110 stuff and invasion critters. My monk is being brought up from level 0; she is currently level 12. (Yay!) She needs to underhunt by a few levels in order to have a decent chance of hitting. Recently she got her third rank of feint, and I have a couple of macros that grab her troll claw, feint the critter, and then stow it for the open handed UAC attack. This, combined with spell 1207, help a fair bit. But again, with less than 3 ranks of feint, this technique is pretty unreliable.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: UAC using monks need some love 12/13/2013 03:24 PM CST
Scouts are base 89 and he is level 95, I'd hardly call that like level, heh. Using krynch like that is very smart but you shouldn't have to do that to be effective.
Re: UAC using monks need some love 12/13/2013 04:00 PM CST

>Scouts are base 89 and he is level 95, I'd hardly call that like level, heh. Using krynch like that is very smart but you shouldn't have to do that to be effective.

I get the same results from all of the creatures in the area. Griffins to seers and all. the only ones i cant 1 shot after getting tier are constructs.

I have just retrained again though, and will now see how well I do with a metal breastplate and going from 3x dodge to 2x with no evade mastery. The only things that consistently hit me are manuevers and TD fails. Trying to see if a metal breastplate is the answer, or if i need to rehash and get some work done to make td shirts.
Re: UAC using monks need some love 12/13/2013 07:09 PM CST

fail -

the cva for the plate armor doesnt make up for the ds loss from dodge. Now I know.

R
Re: UAC using monks need some love 12/13/2013 10:16 PM CST

Yeah I think as you close on cap that the monk class becomes better balanced compared to other UAC users. At 95 you're able to 3x Dodge, fill out MOC (making Krynch much more reliable in a mixed area) and hit 1220/120, plus you're in torso chain with 1202 with only 15 ranks of Transform. There's just not enough points to do all that before you hit 75-80.

My complaints are mostly about the trip up there, specifically between 30-80 or so. The class just needs a few bump ups to smooth things out, ie 1202 progression should be loosely equal to other square armor progression which would only need a single level 0 monk bonus AsG to accomplish. Minor stuff really, I don't even think CvA progression needs to be changed.