More questions 11/13/2013 08:13 AM CST

1. Can anyone explain Combat mastery to me? I have read the description "Allows for further refinement of stance in intervals of 10 (rank 1) or 5 (rank 2)." Does that mean I can sit in stance advance and swing like I am in stance offence? or does it mean I can be in stance offence and have a DS like I am in stance advance? Because I have maxed ranks and I notice no deference.

2. Is UAC still a work in progress? The deference between DS and UDF is huge. I attack the a Tiger-claw and my AS is 20-30 point above the mobs DS, but if I use UAC I am only like 5 UAF or above the mobs UDF or they are 5-10 points above my UAF. Yeah I up hunt 2 or 3 levels but the huge swing in the 2 needs to be looked at.

3. Why is it that mobs that have just entered a room have a higher UDF untill the swing/cast, but the same mobs stunned and prone have the same UDF they did when they where standing?

4. Can anyone tell me where to buy 4x wraps at NPC shops?

5. Why is targeting so hard in UAC? 8 out of 10 time when I target I get the message "couldn't find an opening" and if by some chance I do find an opening the RT is very high.

Thanks, Ktis
Re: More questions 11/13/2013 09:48 AM CST
<Can anyone explain Combat mastery to me?>

Not me, I've seen explanations for what it does but it I'm the wrong person to explain it.

<Is UAC still a work in progress? The deference between DS and UDF is huge. I attack the a Tiger-claw and my AS is 20-30 point above the mobs DS, but if I use UAC I am only like 5 UAF or above the mobs UDF or they are 5-10 points above my UAF. Yeah I up hunt 2 or 3 levels but the huge swing in the 2 needs to be looked at.>

Actually, they don't. The equation used for the unarmed combat system doesn't work the same way the equation for normal combat does. In fact, it helps a great deal if you just forget everything you know about normal combat when using UAC, because most of it doesn't apply. It can be a bit confusing at first, but I'll try to break it down for you.

What you see when you use UAC is actually two different equations combined into one. Here's an example of what you see when using UAC:

UAF: 38 vs UDF: 24 = 1.583 * MM: 100 + d100: 39 = 197

This is a better way of looking at it for the explanation:

UAF รท UDF = X

and

(X * MM) + d100 = endroll

The first equation is the part with UAF and UDF (what most people equate to AS and DS), this part is used to determine the modifier (X) for the second equation (in the example, the modifier is 1.583). The modifier is capped at 2, so no matter how much higher your UAF is then the UDF of whatever you're attacking, the modifier will never be greater then 2 (this is why you're not seeing the huge difference you're expecting when hunting like level).

The second equation takes the modifier determined by the first one and multiplies it by your MM before adding the d100 result, if the final value is 101 or more the attack will be successful.

The important thing about this equation is that as long as your UAF is equal to or greater then the UDF of whatever you're attacking and you can keep your MM as close to 100 as possible, you won't ever fail to hit whatever you're attacking. In other words, having a high MM is more important then having a huge UAF compared to a critters UDF, as long as yours is at least a little better you're golden.

Another important thing to note is that, no matter how low your UAF is compared to the critter's UDF, you always have a CHANCE to hit whatever you're attacking (so long as your MM isn't a negative number, that is). There was actually a monk that was lower then level 10 that managed to land the killing blow on a capped critter during an invasion that happened shortly after UAC was released... try that with old school brawling (on second thought, don't... that guy's insane and was prolly smashed to a pulp immediately afterwards by something else in the room).

<Why is it that mobs that have just entered a room have a higher UDF untill the swing/cast, but the same mobs stunned and prone have the same UDF they did when they where standing?>

Most critters gen in defensive stance and don't move out of it until they swing/cast. As for a stunned/prone critter having the same UDF as when not stunned/prone, that's because those things don't factor into UDF... though you should have seen your MM increase when they were stunned and/or prone.

<Can anyone tell me where to buy 4x wraps at NPC shops?>

Check the backroom.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: More questions 11/13/2013 10:14 AM CST

Thanks for the answers. You said check the back room. What back room? where?

Thanks, Ktis
Re: More questions 11/13/2013 10:41 AM CST
There's a cart that wanders around near the pawn in Icemule with a decent selection.
Plain 4x wraps can be had from Tykel's backroom in the Landing.
Several of the seasonal carts in Mist Harbor have 4x UAC gear.
Festivals generally have several merchants offering UAC gear.

nilandia.com is the place to research who's selling what where in the game.

Stance is a number that varies between 0 and 100. The normal stance commands move you only to multiples of 20, although you may find yourself with other values (e.g. 76) as a result of a critter using something like feint on you. Combat mastery allows you to change your stance more precisely using something like CMAN CMAST 90 (I've only used it as a warrior guild skill version). If you are just standing there flailing away, it might be that critters can hit you in offensive stance but not in advanced. (Probably not at level 10, but there are critters in the 20s where flailing away in a lower stance is useful). The ideal stance being the one where they just can't hit you and you hit them hardest might be 24. You'd need to drop to 40 to give the critter no chance which would mean hitting it rather less hard than if you had combat mastery and dropped just to 25. (Being at 25 rather than 40 is worth 15 extra to your MM).

If you are going to make use of fine tuned stances, you really need to set up macros for it. Its too clumsy to try jumping from one stance to another typing it out every time.
Re: More questions 11/13/2013 10:57 AM CST

>5. Why is targeting so hard in UAC? 8 out of 10 time when I target I get the message "couldn't find an opening" and if by some chance I do find an opening the RT is very high.

It isn't. Most weaponry is harder. You just haven't trained enough of the relevant skills yet.

Aiming skill in the open is the average of your CMan skill and your ambush skill. You'll need to get that average somewhere around the 75-90 range to get reliable aiming of basic shots. (i.e. never miss an opening when punching the leg of a standing critter or the head of a prone critter)

If you want to be that good at level 10, it will mean training lots of ambush as well as 2x CMan. If you wait a few more levels, you'll need rather less ambush. My advice on training to aim is, train 5 ranks ambush when you decide you want the ability. Then add another rank each time you miss an opening that you think you ought to make. If you want it at level 10, you'll probably be looking at needing 15-20 ranks. If you wait till level 20, 5 might do.

RT is normal too. Aiming adds 3 seconds to the RT, 2 of which can be offset by AGIDEX stat bonuses. You need your AGIDEX at 23 if you aren't encumbered and add 15 per second if you are using it to counter encumbrance RT as well.
Re: More questions 11/13/2013 11:37 AM CST
All things being equal prone/sitting/kneeling creatures are more vulnerable to UAC attacks. Learn look at the MM values instead of UDF as that reflects your effectiveness and has the biggest impact on endroll. That being said, I do think something is off with the current setup because if I'm not mistaken while all statuses yield a bonus sitting/kneeling opponents are more vulnerable than prone opponents when using UAC. Its been a while since I looked at these values so I could be way off but I do remember scratching my head at something like that.