Converting to Monk? 10/11/2013 04:23 PM CDT
Hello all... returning player back because of the new Monks here! Was it possible or is it still possible to convert to a Monk? if so what classes where allowed too?
Re: Converting to Monk? 10/11/2013 08:04 PM CDT
I believe they still can be converted as long as it's been fewer then 30 days since the first time the character has logged in since they opened conversion to the profession. I'm not 100% on which professions can convert to monks, though.

Honestly, I'd recommend rolling up a new character over converting an existing character. Monks are different enough from the other professions that you'll want the relative ease of the lower levels to figure out what you're doing rather then jumping into one at a high level.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Converting to Monk? 10/11/2013 08:51 PM CDT
There are a lot of new mechanics in the game. However, converting to a monk is probably not the best way to experience them. Roll a new monk if low level, or fixskill your existing character to a UAC build if you want to keep playing a high level character is my advice.

Any class which can 2x brawling can convert. (i.e. if you are not a pure) The option expires two or three months after first logging in the eligible character.
Re: Converting to Monk? 10/12/2013 09:45 AM CDT
Under no circumstances convert a character you are fond of to a monk. Start from scratch, and play a monk until you are convinced that monks, and the UAC in particular, suck big time. Then fixskill away your monk's brawling skill and take up archery.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Converting to Monk? 10/13/2013 09:28 AM CDT
I converted my ranger and got to level 62. The most effective build (TP wise and kill wise) ended up being archery with augmented chain which is essentially a ranger, with less utility, less fun, and less cool-factor. I bit the bullet and forked up the $250. I regret it but, meh, whatever. Poo happens.
Re: Converting to Monk? 10/15/2013 02:42 PM CDT

Yeah, I would advise at this time rolling up a monk and playing for awhile. Every other class that can convert to a monk can already use UAC as well or better than a monk, plus they will be better than monks at most other melee styles.

However I do love my dwarf monk and wouldn't convert him back to a warrior, the class just needs a balance pass and it would be a bad ass light fighter type. Its close but not quite there at the moment.