What's happening here? 04/07/2013 03:17 PM CDT

I'm a capped monk with 111 ranks in transformation (with enhansive). In this, I wore the badge, casted iron skin (metallic quality, MBP) and removed the badge. I should have equal to MBP with HCP padding (I have perm HCP robes), right?

And I should have some redux, right? (What's the redux on these shots?)

A spectral triton defender thrusts with a lackluster blue steel harpoon at you!
AS: +449 vs DS: +302 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +64 = +244
... and hits for 65 points of damage!
Vicious strike punctures intestines!
You are stunned for 5 rounds!

ok, even with a spear, two handed with a DF of .230 against plate, that's surprising. was that just bad randomization crit? (Just unlucky?)
I don't see how a spear could do that much damage to MBP only on a +244 roll.

Here's an even weaker DF, with a ball and chain:

A Grimswarm giant soldier swings a ball and chain at you!
AS: +449 vs DS: +271 with AvD: +15 + d100 roll: +28 = +221
... and hits for 40 points of damage!
Right kneecap smashed into pulp.

(hauberk)

AS: +449 vs DS: +306 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +51 = +227
... and hits for 67 points of damage!
Awesome shot shatters ribs and punctures lung!
(torso plate)

This shot makes absolutely no sense.

AS: +449 vs DS: +356 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +98 = +224
... and hits for 47 points of damage!
Beautiful head shot neatly slices off your ear!
(hauberk, head shot)

AS: +449 vs DS: +294 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +13 = +201
... and hits for 38 points of damage!
Well aimed shot, punctures upper arm!

A Grimswarm giant adept gestures at you!
A Grimswarm giant adept hurls a large boulder at you!
AS: +401 vs DS: +355 with AvD: +40 + d100 roll: +39 = +125
... and hits for 12 points of damage!
Blow nicks your neck.
(No crit. won't count this one. endroll isn't high enough)
Re: What's happening here? 04/07/2013 03:59 PM CDT
>>A Grimswarm giant soldier swings a ball and chain at you!
AS: +449 vs DS: +271 with AvD: +15 + d100 roll: +28 = +221
... and hits for 40 points of damage!
Right kneecap smashed into pulp.

This clip tells the tale. Ball and chain's AvD against torso plate is 30 and against hauberk is 23. But its AvD against cloth is 15. You don't have Iron Skin up here. Spears have AvD 33 against both cloth AND MBP, so it's possible that your Iron Skin is down in those shots as well.
Re: What's happening here? 04/07/2013 04:08 PM CDT

Hmm, that sucks. I wonder if its possible for iron skin to be dispelled? I had it up, and was hunting grimswarm.
Re: What's happening here? 04/07/2013 04:09 PM CDT
Base damage 144+0.23= 33 (if you have MBP) or 144*0.55 = 79 (if you have robes) Both robes and MBP have AvD of 33 so could be either
Crit damage 25 (rank 5)

Max crit rank of 33/11 = 3 for MBP and 79/5 = capped at 9 (if you have robes, even with HCP)

Actual total damage 65.
If you have MBP then both crit and damage weighting are on the weapon or you have negative redux. Padding just means the weighting/negative redux would have to be even higher.

1202 got dispelled and you didn't notice until you got beat up and were actually only in robes.

Theoretical damage without redux 104
Actual Damage taken 65

Redux = about 38%

While spear has same AvD for MBP and robes, ball and chain doesn't. That one, you are clearly in robes.

38% seems on the low side for cap. Maybe train more PF?
That DS is horrible for cap, its about the same as mine at level 50. Train more dodge and/or MOC!

I'd say that you aren't getting any 1202 benefit, probably because there is a check for lore when you get hit, and since you took off your enhancive, you fail it. Possibly because you keep getting dispelled and don't notice. Possibly because your robes are buggy.
Re: What's happening here? 04/07/2013 04:23 PM CDT

Also, look at this? Is this a bug? I have 111 ranks of transformation lore, capped. this should be MBP (i have an enhansive) but it still looks like hauberk.

A triton executioner swings a coral-hilted sharply tapered longsword at you!
AS: +433 vs DS: +446 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +82 = +94
A clean miss.
Leland (at level 100), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Combat Maneuvers...................| 302 202
Brawling...........................| 302 202
Ambush.............................| 302 202
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 146 46
Physical Fitness...................| 403 303
Dodging............................| 403 303
Magic Item Use.....................| 111 27
Harness Power......................| 147 47
Mental Lore - Transformation.......| 211 111
Stalking and Hiding................| 302 202
Perception.........................| 30 6
Climbing...........................| 70 15
Swimming...........................| 154 54

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 40

Spell Lists
Minor Mental.......................| 35

You are already wearing an invar-bound ebonwood badge.
>prep iron skin
You fold your hands and deeply intone a sonorous mantra, focusing your mind upon the Iron Skin spell...
Your spell is ready.
>cast
>
You gesture.
You feel your skin grow tight all across your body and your complexion takes on a metallic quality.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>
[ Iron Skin: +0:55:00, 4:10:00 remaining. ]

Damage Base Speed Leather Scale Chain Plate
Type DU/ST 1 5 6 7 8 | 9 10 11 12 | 13 14 15 16 | 17 18 19 20

Longsword S,C,P 160/65 4 41 42 41 40 39 | 43 41 39 37 | 37 33 29 25 | 35 29 23 17

Shouldn't it have an AvD of 35, not 25?

What's going on?
Re: What's happening here? 04/07/2013 04:26 PM CDT
I was stunned, dispelled, and lying down in offense. I also have 3x robes.

Here's my skills, I'm fully 3x dodge and fully 3x PT. but I know up to 140 too, so that hurts redux.

Leland (at level 100), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Combat Maneuvers...................| 302 202
Brawling...........................| 302 202
Ambush.............................| 302 202
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 146 46
Physical Fitness...................| 403 303
Dodging............................| 403 303
Magic Item Use.....................| 111 27
Harness Power......................| 147 47
Mental Lore - Transformation.......| 201 101
Stalking and Hiding................| 302 202
Perception.........................| 30 6
Climbing...........................| 70 15
Swimming...........................| 154 54

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 40

Spell Lists
Minor Mental.......................| 35
Training Points: 3 Phy 0 Mnt (1836 Phy converted to Mnt)

---
Ambush works very well in Nelemar.
Re: What's happening here? 04/07/2013 04:26 PM CDT

Negative redux? What is that? Is that even possible?

Something new?I haven't been playing for 2 and a half years.

Only thing I know that can have negative redux is that spell with monks that monks have.
Re: What's happening here? 04/07/2013 04:32 PM CDT

Is HCP still useful Rath, or has the mechanics changed for the worse?
Re: What's happening here? 04/07/2013 04:58 PM CDT
Padding is useful if you aren't being hit too hard. However if its bringing a hit from rank 15 (capped at 9) down to rank 13 (still capped at 9), then it makes no difference.

>Shouldn't it have an AvD of 35, not 25?

That definitely looks like a hit where your enhancive wasn't counting so you got hauberk rather than MBP.

>I was stunned, dispelled, and lying down in offense.

1202 is a spell. If it gets dispelled then you are squishy if your DS has been brought into hittable range.
Re: What's happening here? 04/07/2013 05:10 PM CDT
Removing your lore enhancive isn't helping.

I'd bet that it's a continuous check whenever you're hit for Iron Skin. After the initial cast.

Whether this is true or not, or if this type of thing happens with other spells, I don't know.

It would be nice to know how this applies to this spell, and others.

-farmer
Re: What's happening here? 04/07/2013 05:27 PM CDT

when I was hit, I had the lore enhansive on.

So I don't understand what is happening, unless the robes are buggy.

I had equal to 111 ranks of transformation lore when that hit happened, and I had just casted iron skin while having it on.

Also, although this is unrelated, I heard if you wear the enhansive, cast iron skin, and remove it, you don't need the enhansive on to get the MBP. (You don't have to wear the enhansive constantly). however, like I said, in that hit, I had the badge on. So something is wonky. I posted on the shattered folder (the game I play) for a GM to look at my robes. Something isn't right, for sure.
Re: What's happening here? 04/07/2013 07:26 PM CDT
Buggy robes could conceivably explain why you're getting hit as though wearing robes, although it now seems more likely you're just getting dispelled. They can't explain why Iron Skin is working but counting as hauberk instead of MBP. That's a question of lores alone.

I'm guessing you already had iron skin up, and it only calculates the AsG on the first cast.

Try this -- stop 1202, then cast iron skin without the enhancive, then put the enhancive on and cast iron skin again. If I'm right, it should look like hauberk, even though you most recently cast it with the enhancive on. In order to get it to read as MBP, you'll have to cast it with the enhancive on while 1202 is not already on you.
Re: What's happening here? 04/07/2013 07:45 PM CDT

I was dispelled.

"
Try this -- stop 1202, then cast iron skin without the enhancive, then put the enhancive on and cast iron skin again. If I'm right, it should look like hauberk, even though you most recently cast it with the enhancive on. In order to get it to read as MBP, you'll have to cast it with the enhancive on while 1202 is not already on you."

How do I dispell 1202? I don't want to wait 4 hours for it to dispell.

You might be right, it might only be the first cast. i'll try that.

I'll try and figure out a way to dispell it put the enhansive on and try again.
Re: What's happening here? 04/07/2013 08:03 PM CDT

Okay, looks like you were right, I think. I dispelled 1202, casted it with the enhansive on. I then wore the enhansive, while being attacked. these are the shots. After that, I took the enhansive off, and the MBP still remainded. As long as I cast iron skin with the enhansive on from now on, it should be OK I think. the AvD here , at least for the longsword, suggests MBP. Not sure about the other hits. Thank you for solving this dilemma.

A triton executioner swings a coral-hilted sharply tapered longsword at you!
AS: +435 vs DS: +614 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +19 = -125
A clean miss.

A siren swings a fine-grained deep cerulean runestaff at you!
AS: +440 vs DS: +614 with AvD: +10 + d100 roll: +88 = -76
A clean miss.

A triton combatant swings a seaweed-wound rusted steel hatchet at you!
AS: +424 vs DS: +614 with AvD: +41 + d100 roll: +5 = -144
A clean miss.

A triton executioner swings a sharply curved black handaxe at you!
AS: +433 vs DS: +604 with AvD: +41 + d100 roll: +50 = -80
A clean miss.
Re: What's happening here? 04/07/2013 08:59 PM CDT
Yet another reason why 1202 is so annoying. Stun + dispel means you're dropping 30 DS and wearing robes. In short, good game.
Re: What's happening here? 04/07/2013 09:48 PM CDT
>This shot makes absolutely no sense.

AS: +449 vs DS: +356 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +98 = +224
... and hits for 47 points of damage!
Beautiful head shot neatly slices off your ear!
(hauberk, head shot)

This is an interesting result. The Rank 3 crit outcome requires a minimum of ~15 to 16 pts of critical padding with your redux%.

Did you have Sigil of Major Bane active?

>Yet another reason why 1202 is so annoying. Stun + dispel means you're dropping 30 DS and wearing robes. In short, good game.

Yeah. Game, Set and Match! 1202 dispel potentially leads to 1216 dropping when stunned.

An evaluation of the above attack with hauberk.

Redux Factor: ~0.400
DF: .325 (spear two-handed vs chain)
ER success margin: 124
Unreduced raw damage: 40 (124 * .325)
Reduced raw damage (for crit calc only): 29 [40 * (1 - (0.40 * 2/3)]
Padding: 15 pts (estimated)
Total damage for max crit rank: 14 (29 - 15)
Armor crit divisor: 9 (chain)
Max crit rank: 1 (14/9)

Total damage (est.) w/Hauberk: R1 head crit (L1 injury w/no stun) and 27 total damage vs the actual R3 head crit (L2 injury, 5 rd stun) and 47 total damage.

This was only a rank 3 crit due to the padding and best possible crit randomization outcome. A least favorable randomization would have been fatal.

Mark
Re: What's happening here? 04/07/2013 09:53 PM CDT

Nope, I'm only rank 4.
Re: What's happening here? 04/08/2013 10:00 AM CDT

Bandits will also dispel 1202 with their crystals I've noticed. Good times.
Re: What's happening here? 04/08/2013 02:41 PM CDT
>Bandits will also dispel 1202 with their crystals I've noticed. Good times.

They actually have to knock down a couple of my DS spells too before they can make me suffer from a 1202 loss. Get enough levels of 3x dodge, about 1.5 critters worth of FoF protection (bandits count less than 1 opponent for FoF on average) run 102 and 103 as well as MnM, your society abilities and a statue and you will take almost nothing but trap and manoever damage.
Re: What's happening here? 04/08/2013 09:18 PM CDT

The one time it happened they also dispelled 1216 or it dropped while I was stunned from a maneuver/trap of course. :)
Re: What's happening here? 04/09/2013 05:04 AM CDT
>The one time it happened they also dispelled 1216 or it dropped while I was stunned from a maneuver/trap of course. :)

They have to knock at least something else as well as 1216 off me before the lack of 1202 becomes really painful. 1216 is actually pretty good at staying up during stuns, but if I noticed myself getting hit when that was all I had lost, I got more DS before the next time. Its the main reason I actually use statue, 102 and symbol of protection when self spelled. If 1216 was as reliable as other spells, I'd save the statue rub, or take the extra UAF or save the favor.
Re: What's happening here? 04/09/2013 10:51 AM CDT

Yeah I generally don't use 102 since killing is slow enough as it is, which is its own danger since I tend to hunt casters as much as anything else due to adv guild bounties.
Re: What's happening here? 04/10/2013 02:36 AM CDT
>Yeah I generally don't use 102 since killing is slow enough as it is, which is its own danger since I tend to hunt casters as much as anything else due to adv guild bounties.

The higher level you get, the less UAF penalties matter. I didn't consider 102 worth the cost much before level 20, but there have been plenty of situations since where I reckon it is. Sometimes I use it as a way of getting DS from a white crystal.

Not going to fully offensive stance is also useful from time to time, even though the penalty is rather more severe, but bandits can quite easily force you all the way to offensive so its much better to use 102 rather than forward/advanced stance against them. This I regard as a way of turning punchmastery bonus into DS.
Re: What's happening here? 04/10/2013 05:54 PM CDT
Yeah, I can't report. It's disabled in shattered. And unfortunately, if someone decides to kill you for a stupid reason, they're going to kill you, and keep killing you. 99% of the people are friendly, I don't know of anyone else is mean. It's like a close knit community. He just went nuts when I did him I wouldn't buy back the items he stole from me. It's not really fair because GS mechanics (hiding and DS push down, along with alot of critical adding) wasn't meant for PvP. It's devasting having a rogue in hiding, not know where that person is, with 3x hide (I couldn't find him with 2x perception), ambushing you in one shot from hiding. I have no chance. But that's how it is. There's a warning to join the game stating anything could happen. Anyway, that's in shattered I probably shouldn't bring it up here, but it's frustrating when you can't play the game anymore.

Anyway,

Here's a couple questions:

1) Being capped, is it better to train and get 140 ranks of armor, or keep using iron skin? Some spells casting are useful, esp in hunting if something gets dispelled or you want to do a spell like force projection. Some spells are good such as vertigo that target everything in the room. Surprisingly, capped, I'm able to ward most of the time, most things that aren't pures (semis, squares, usually about a 80% succcess rate out of 8 creatures) in a camp well. this seriously makes them unable to attack well when I'm moving through. I can also ward with web hunting, and area webs are nice and often web.

2) How does qstrike work with the UAC mechancics? it says I need a weapon. Well, punching isn't holding a weapon.
So does qstrike even work with punch/kick? I haven't had the time to test it. And since the rt is 3, what does it go down to, 0? (-3 RT, no AS penalty
at rank 5). that would make no sense.

3) Does bearhug have the chance to flare with UAC gloves?
Re: What's happening here? 04/10/2013 05:58 PM CDT
Why don't you hire someone to grief him for you?
Re: What's happening here? 04/10/2013 06:25 PM CDT

It's really not like that in shattered. Unfortunately, silvers are worthless. Whatever items are left are scarce, and people generally only pay cash for items. So it would be hard to. Most of the time, people won't do anything about it because they do not want to get involved. (If someone did do this, he would kill them to, using his 100+ million silvers to cross every realm and let his script run, while he's afk.) that's pretty much why.

It's it pretty much just up to me. I was thinking of getting an ewave imbeddable item.
The problem is, and I'm not sure why (I'm trying to get off the topic of shattered now), his DS is ridiculous.

He is about 10x capped experience . However, I looked at the DS formula and I do not see how his DS can be over 650, lying down in offensive, with just spirit and wizard spells. Is this even possible? I don't think I could hit him with that, even with an AS of 700 with a blue crystal.

His UAC is also pretty high at 680, or around 640 sometimes.

I thought monks have extra UAC AS bonus?
Mine is only like 620, and I'm fully 2x Cm and brawling.

Let's just get back to topic of the mechanics of this stuff. How can a rogue have that much DS? DO monks get a bonus to UAC favor, since they're supposed to be masters of UAC? (I'd think they should). If not, what's the point of being a monk if there's no bonus to UAC? The spells are nice, and although I like being a monk over a warrior (i've played warriors for over 12 years) I'm not sure if it was worth the conversion. For one thing, I was fully mastered in every guild skill except bashing. Bert's bellow is a very powerful war cry. So do monks have advantages over warriors, and if so, what is that? (Since apparantly UAC AS is the same across the board? Anyone can learn punc, UAC combat, and punchmastery). Also, I'm don't think it would be a problem listing his name, as he's in shattered and I don't think the rules apply as in prime. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Kayous leaps from hiding to strike!
Kayous attempts to kick you!
Kayous has good positioning against you.
UAF: 680 vs UDF: 626 = 1.086 * MM: 95 + d100: 43 = 146
... and hit for 27 points of damage!
Flying axe kick seriously rattles your noggin.
You are stunned for 4 rounds!

(right after):

Kayous leaps from hiding to strike!
Kayous attempts to punch you!
Kayous has excellent positioning against you.
UAF: 625 vs UDF: 567 = 1.102 * MM: 112 + d100: 86 = 209
... and hit for 40 points of damage!
Stiffened fingers punch right through left eye and into your head!
Re: What's happening here? 04/10/2013 07:46 PM CDT

1) If you are hunting fine with 1202 then no reason to change to real armor. Its mainly for the CvA advantage if you are having problems warding CS spells. It might be cheaper for you in overall tp's as well.

2) I don't know about Quick Strike but I would just guess it doesn't work with UAC.

3) UAC gloves won't flare but flaring/spiked armor and/or arm greaves will flare with it. Someone on the PC tried a Bearhug/Call Lightning build. Huh, that might be a hell of a CvC build. Quite ingenious actually. :)
Re: What's happening here? 04/10/2013 08:31 PM CDT

Couple more questions, sorry:

how does evade mastery work? If you have 4 ranks, does your armor count as MBP (with 111 ranks of transformation at capped)
or robes? Is it worth to train in?

How does wearing a spiked flaring greathelm work?
With say, headbutt. If I wear it with my MBP (iron skin), will it effect my encumberance and equal that
of full plate ? shouldI not waer it?
Re: What's happening here? 04/10/2013 09:45 PM CDT

Your armor counts as robes, so it gets the maximum benefit from evade mastery. Its worth it.

Armor accessories don't increase the AsG of robes. You can wear whatever armor accessories you want for the flaring/padding/spiked effects from them. They will however affect the padding if any of your robes as per usual. Your encumbrance will also be affected but only by the weight of the accessories based on your racial modifier as per normal.