Locate Person (116) - Blessing Lore for Hidden / Invisible etc 07/28/2015 01:14 AM CDT
Just tossing an idea I had today out there, as the title suggests.

I can see it being rather opposed by certain fractions of the population that don't want to be found. There are existing spells for being in the same room to identify or remove characters from hiding / invisibility [Presence (402), Dispel Invisibility (109), and Sunburst (609) all come to mind, along with a slew of attack spells].

Since Summoning Lore is already used for longer distances, perhaps we should couple finding people that don't want to be found with Blessings, though I'd be basically okay with either one.

For living targets, if there's a huge backlash from the player base on really not wanting to be found, perhaps it could give an idea of the region etc, kind of like Locate Person gives some hint even without lore training for out-of-realm cases.

I think the best argument here is for dead characters that are hidden by environmental factors. Some might also believe that Voln's Symbol of Sight and Symbol of Need cover this issue well enough, or that areas where dead bodies can be hidden by creatures is not worth allowing another way to circumvent.

The idea isn't that close to my heart, but considering it's HSN with lots of interesting releases, particularly related with lores for Sorcery, I always felt as a sorcerer there should be more benefits to training spiritual lores. As it stands, for the MnS circle only, even much Summoning lore is difficult to justify; Summoning is mostly good to unlock Web bolt, power up Fire Spirit, and expand Locate.

Thoughts on this, or how the skills or ranks should break down? If it was only for dead characters, I'd think 20 ranks of Blessing Lore is a reasonable standard to unlock such a feature with such a limited application.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Locate Person (116) - Blessing Lore for Hidden / Invisible etc 08/19/2015 09:37 AM CDT
As someone who plays a character that both frequently does not wish to be found and wishes to find those that do not wish to be found... I am pretty much opposed to this. Particularly in the context of invisibility, since that spell is already so terrible at preventing being found that I am loathe to see it basically have more opportunities to suck at concealing the person using it.

I am curious what your thoughts regarding Unpresence (204) are, though. You did not mention it at all, and I believe it should have some interaction with whatever it is you are proposing.

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein
Re: Locate Person (116) - Blessing Lore for Hidden / Invisible etc 08/19/2015 09:58 AM CDT
No 'e' in 'loath'.

'loath' is something you are (reluctant).

'loathe' is something you do (despise) to something/someone else.
Re: Locate Person (116) - Blessing Lore for Hidden / Invisible etc 08/19/2015 07:45 PM CDT
>I am curious what your thoughts regarding Unpresence (204) are, though. You did not mention it at all, and I believe it should have some interaction with whatever it is you are proposing.

You are right. I had it in mind but my idea was somewhat spitballing, so I hadn't really covered each aspect.

204 is actually something I can see reasonably preventing Location (or 225) entirely, since it is a magical spell with explicitly that purpose of interference. If we want to split hairs, it could be a kind of (warding/skill/etc) check of one spiritual magic vs. another which determines the outcome, though presently there is no such check in place for Location at all, and the concept of Unpresence seems to be a very large barrier to this ability (but absolute prevention doesn't need to be implicit).

However, I rather feel like ducking down in a fen to hide has no bearing on a magical spell to locate from afar. Whether you're behind a tree several yards away or swimming in a Bay at the other side of a realm, how would it influence the ability of the Locate spell to find you? The physical condition really has no bearing. At an Inn, we can duck and hide under the table. Yet being inside a building didn't prevent Location, so what does it matter if you're sitting under the table, too? From a gaming perspective, it's a mode to enforce that "hiding" is an ability to implement privacy or a player not wishing to be seen. But from an in-game perspective, I can see no argument how it prevents things like 116 and 225 from working for a highly skilled spiritualist.

Invisibility can be argued in either direction, owing to its magical nature (would prevent) and physical nature. Speaking from the basic principle, 916 prevents one from being seen, but as a result also immune to any targeted magic of someone else in the local area (which might not be 100% realistic, but the spell needs to do something useful). Locate is a spiritual spell cast at a target which already cannot be seen, so from that perspective, it need not be entirely immune to location. However, it could be reasonably assumed that 916 has some "interference" mechanism like 204 on top of the strictly physical change in visibility.

It depends a lot on how you think about invisibility in general. In the show Heroes, two characters who are invisible are found by use of an infrared scope. I found this highly contrary to my idea of invisibility, which must result in some method of cancelling local scattering or emission of photons, which wouldn't need to be strictly optical photons but also lower frequency ones like in the infrared. If we analyze it very carefully with physics, of course it will never really work (it's fantasy after all), but I felt shifting the wavelength by several hundred nanometers didn't seem like a good way for invisibility to now fail...

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p