New 405 Message 10/27/2016 12:29 PM CDT
You gesture at a glittering sterling silver bracer.
You sense that this is a magical item. There seems to be no spells or charges but the flows of essence are strangely attracted to it. You estimate that it can contain an average amount of mana.
You detect that a glittering sterling silver bracer can be recharged to its original capacity.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

I've never seen the "You detect that a glittering sterling silver bracer can be recharged to its original capacity." line before. I had it sung to after and it didn't sing as rechargeable, just reimbeddable.

What does that message actually mean? And when did it become a thing?

~ Methais
Re: New 405 Message 10/27/2016 12:31 PM CDT

>What does that message actually mean? And when did it become a thing?

See the changes to magical item recharging

https://gswiki.play.net/Recharge
Re: New 405 Message 10/27/2016 12:57 PM CDT
And since prior merchants were only recharging up to (depending on the merchant, the spell, the phase of the moon, storms over Lower Slobovia, whatever factor) either ten (10) or twenty (20) charges, getting this new system where, "We Charge To Forty! (40)" means that you need to find either half as many [if it was a 20-item], or a quarter as many [if it was a 10-item], recharging merchants.
Then again, they raised the fee by +150%/to 250% of what it was, so it pretty well averages out.

I suspect that after the next time that item is recharged, it will say it can be recharged to "slightly below" full capacity, or some similar wording.
Then, "somewhat" below on the recharge after that.
Then "much" below.
Eventually--six rechargers later--it might say "substantially" below.
But to get to that point, you have to go through 8 charging sessions, getting (40 + 35 + 30 + 25 + 20 + 15 + 10 + 5) 180 charges out of the deal. (Which used to be either 18 visits to the charger [for a 20-item], or 9 visits to the charger [for a 10-item].)
Re: New 405 Message 10/27/2016 01:23 PM CDT
>See the changes to magical item recharging

So this is just for that new merchant recharging thing? Nothing in that link actually mentioned the messaging I posted, or any 405 messaging.

~ Methais
Re: New 405 Message 10/27/2016 01:26 PM CDT

>So this is just for that new merchant recharging thing? Nothing in that link actually mentioned the messaging I posted, or any 405 messaging.

the 405 messaging was first seen this week. you'll have to wait until after EG to see additional updates.
Re: New 405 Message 10/27/2016 02:45 PM CDT
>the 405 messaging was first seen this week. you'll have to wait until after EG to see additional updates.

What does it actually mean though? Just that the item is merchant rechargeable? It certainly isn't mage rechargeable.

~ Methais
Re: New 405 Message 10/27/2016 03:25 PM CDT
That it can be charged by a merchant to 40 charges.

Then, when you get to the next merchant, it will say (something on the order of) "can be recharged to nearly full." [35 charges] Then "mostly full" [30]. Until eventually you get to "hardly anything" [5] and "cannot be recharged without further work." [0] That's what the change in the system means.

So they're giving wording as to just exactly how full it can be gotten.

A totally distinct merchant service, will be "restore that 5-charge item to 40 capacity!" Then you'll be able to get it charged to 40 (35, 30, 25, and so on) again.
Re: New 405 Message 10/27/2016 09:53 PM CDT
>You detect that a glittering sterling silver bracer can be recharged to its original capacity.

This particular message could easily be confused with 517, though. It's also interesting that anyone with 405 can detect this, yet it takes a bard to detect whether it can be recharged with 517.
Re: New 405 Message 10/27/2016 11:52 PM CDT
A merchant can charge everything; Mages only some.

People know the value of mage rechargeables, and merchants will fill them to 40 every time. (Per the announcement.)

However, someone trying to sell an item that has been reduced to only a 15-charge cap (by having been charged, by a merchant, 5 times) will get a substantially different price than someone selling a 40-charge item.
Having a quick and easy, visible way to determine the stats with a low-level spell available to over half the players in the game... not a bad thing.
Re: New 405 Message 10/28/2016 11:33 AM CDT
>Then, when you get to the next merchant, it will say (something on the order of) "can be recharged to nearly full." [35 charges] Then "mostly full" [30]. Until eventually you get to "hardly anything" [5] and "cannot be recharged without further work." [0] That's what the change in the system means.

Thanks, makes sense now.

>However, someone trying to sell an item that has been reduced to only a 15-charge cap (by having been charged, by a merchant, 5 times) will get a substantially different price than someone selling a 40-charge item.
>Having a quick and easy, visible way to determine the stats with a low-level spell available to over half the players in the game... not a bad thing.

Since mage rechargeable items also degrade if I remember correctly, something like this should be added for MR items too.

>You gesture at a golden wand.
>You sense that the wand is a magic item that holds the spell "Minor Fire" with a great many charges.
>Cast Roundtime 1 Second.

>It's also interesting that anyone with 405 can detect this, yet it takes a bard to detect whether it can be recharged with 517.

I always thought it was really stupid that wizards can recharge items, yet have no way to tell if an item is rechargeable, outside of trying to recharge it. Detecting mage rechargeables should also be added to 405 at least when being cast by a wizard.

Just another instance of 517 being outclassed by 714.

>This particular message could easily be confused with 517, though.

I suspect it's going to result in a lot of accidental false advertising at least for a while.

~ Methais
Re: New 405 Message 10/29/2016 05:22 AM CDT
No, the announcement specifically said that MR items will always go to 40 at a merchant
Re: New 405 Message 10/31/2016 07:53 AM CDT
>No, the announcement specifically said that MR items will always go to 40 at a merchant

I was talking about with 517.

~ Methais
Re: New 405 Message 12/20/2017 03:49 AM CST

>>This particular message could easily be confused with 517, though.

>I suspect it's going to result in a lot of accidental false advertising at least for a while.

>~ Methais

Reviving this because it is still happening. Can we change the 405 messaging to use anything but the word "recharge" in any form? I am continuously running into people selling "mage rechargeables" which are anything but.