I wonder.. 01/29/2015 09:42 PM CST
While reading through docs and wiki I have to wonder how people handle the worship of Marlu?
I mean would a high priest of Marlu actually be a sorcerer or still a cleric or maybe either or perhaps the sorcerer would be the ritualists that sacrifices to Marlu while a cleric is the connecting factor?
Reason I ask is I am considering making a character dedicated to Marlu myself.
Thanks.
Re: I wonder.. 01/29/2015 10:04 PM CST

The simple answer is yes.

RP your character the way you want. If someone questions you can rp that where your character is from this is how we worship. You may catch flak if your rp choices are off the reservation but it does not mean its not valid RP.

Pup's player
Re: I wonder.. 01/29/2015 11:25 PM CST
I have a Marluvian sorceror, but I have not fleshed him out very much at all, nor am I likely to anytime in the near future.

My take on Marluvian worship has always been to embrace the nature of Chaos. While that can certainly include ritualistic sacrifices and death and splattery goodness, it doesn't need to end there, in my opinion. Every religion has the potential for depth, spiritually and intellectually, as well as the physical aspects of primitive worship.

There's a certain reality in a multiplayer game, and that reality is that not everyone will embrace conflict, and that doesn't make them bad RP'ers - nor does it make the person seeking sacrifice, death and destruction a bad RP'er, either. It's not a value judgment.

You'll find that some of the best/most embraced Lornonite worshippers and practitioners are not going around causing wild acts of destruction and chaos. They are blending into society, some of them actually valued members with intelligent (if not very biased) opinions on the state of matters. Some actively recruit others, using charm, persuasion, logic, etc.

I'm certainly not telling you how to do things, but it seems your post asked for some feedback and opinions. You're more than welcome to find Turinrond in game (admittedly, I'm not around so much lately, but he's in the Landing or Icemule when he is about), because he does have some strong thoughts and philosophies towards Chaos itself, which might be helpful towards developing a Marluvian perspective. He's not into all the elements that Marlu embraces, as an Onarian, but there will be some common ground. Cruxophim too, comes to mind as someone who at one point, had some very well developed perspectives on Chaos itself, although with Althedeus destroyed, he seems somewhat more subdued. Again, a much different take, and I'm not even sure if he's religious to an Arkati, but as you're developing your character's attitude and perspective, you can cherry pick ideas and concepts you like here and there, and alter them as you need to suit your vision.

As far as ritualistic practices, I would talk to some more established Lornonites, maybe Hadya or Grhim, and ask them about their particular rituals and from there, craft something more attuned to your vision of Marlu worship, up until you meet other followers and/or come up with your own thing.

As far as a high priest - mechanically, I think that title is reserved for clerics, but I am guessing that exceptional RP and development and impact could draw the eyes of the GM's to make an exception. In that, I would keep expectations in check and be very patient. The fun is in the journey, after all.

I hope some of this helps. Good luck. I know that I always appreciate well role-played religious zealots. :-)

~ Bill, Coyote.

The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.
~ Voltaire
Re: I wonder.. 02/01/2015 08:35 PM CST
Although my sorcerer worships Imaera, still he is very excited about extra-planar beings.

When I have my characters RP something which is canonically considered "evil" my first question is always how to turn that around and make it something good. A line on the wiki says Marlu embraces destruction, so you can explore the aspects of destruction as a form of creation, as a simple example.

As far as demons and the law, one thing my character always says is that we can't judge all entities from a single plane as being bad just because some of them might be; otherwise, he reckons that halflings must be evil just by the fact of sharing this plane with dark elves and dwarves.

Demonic rights activism! Make the treatment of all entities regardless of plane of origin equal under the eye of the law!

>Kayse scrambles to avoid being sucked into the void!
Re: I wonder.. 07/26/2015 04:36 PM CDT
My Marluvian is very quiet about it mostly.