240 and ensorcell flares 03/31/2014 02:59 PM CDT
Was hunting in the Scatter today exclusively keeping 240 up and my ensorcellment didn't flare once.

Estlid, can you look into it? Wyrom thought maybe it was that vs. the runestaff I was using since it was flaring with standard casts. Thanks.

Best,
Jim
Re: 240 and ensorcell flares 03/31/2014 10:16 PM CDT
Jim
Was hunting in the Scatter today exclusively keeping 240 up and my ensorcellment didn't flare once.
Estlid, can you look into it? Wyrom thought maybe it was that vs. the runestaff I was using since it was flaring with standard casts. Thanks.

From what I can tell, it's working fine:

>incant 1101
You focus your thoughts while chanting the mystical phrase for Heal...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a giant rat.
CS: +627 - TD: +3 + CvA: +25 + d100: +29 == +678
Warding failed!
A brief tremor ripples across the rat's skin, leaving a faint beading of scarlet in its wake.
... 72 points of damage!

Necrotic energy from your glowbark runestaff overflows into you!

You feel energized!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

Abruptly, you sense the attention of your spirit slayer focus upon a giant rat. The pattern of your spell is wrested away from you as the mote of white light flares with blinding brilliance.

CS: +686 - TD: +3 + CvA: +25 + d100: +74 == +782
Warding failed!
A brief tremor ripples across the rat's skin, leaving a faint beading of scarlet in its wake.
... 83 points of damage!

I'll try to keep an eye out for you over the next few nights to watch you hunt (I'll let you know if I am). I can pretty easily tell if your casts are triggering ensorcell flares.

GameMaster Estild
Re: 240 and ensorcell flares 04/01/2014 12:50 PM CDT

Thanks. I'll try again, but knowing how ensorcell works (to a degree) it should have flared in my hunts fairly often, but wasn't. Wyrom popped down to check the weapon and it seemed fine he said, then when just open casting it was fine. I was using 240/317 if that matters, with a 3 second hard RT. I'll try again this afternoon. Maybe I'm just going insane. Thanks.

Best,
Jim
Re: 240 and ensorcell flares 04/01/2014 01:11 PM CDT

Good now, working fine. Wonder if I just needed to swap the item or something. Either way, good to go! Sorry for the false alarm. :)

Best,
Jim
Re: 240 and ensorcell flares 04/01/2014 02:03 PM CDT

Ok Maybe not! Flaring like 1/20. Should be 1/4 1/5 right? Does the second / third casts of a spell under the effects of 240 count as an actual cast? Should it trigger an ensorcell flare? If so, I'm not sure that's working.

I'll post actual numbers from these hunts in a bit....

Ok, so a brief hunt, I kept 240 up the entire time, cast only 317. 20 total casts of 317 240 triple flared once, double every other time, ensorcell flared once and only on the first cast. Makes sense if the spirit's the one doing the other casting, but the ratio seems off even on first casts.

My other characters get flares 1/4 1/5 casts usually. Dunno.

Best,
Jim
Re: 240 and ensorcell flares 04/02/2014 09:48 AM CDT
Jim
Ok Maybe not! Flaring like 1/20. Should be 1/4 1/5 right? Does the second / third casts of a spell under the effects of 240 count as an actual cast? Should it trigger an ensorcell flare? If so, I'm not sure that's working.
Ok, so a brief hunt, I kept 240 up the entire time, cast only 317. 20 total casts of 317 240 triple flared once, double every other time, ensorcell flared once and only on the first cast. Makes sense if the spirit's the one doing the other casting, but the ratio seems off even on first casts.

The additional casts from Spirit Slayer (240) will not trigger additional flares (weapon, ensorcelled, or any kind). As you note, the spirit is casting those spells, not the character.

A sample size of 20 casts isn't really meaningful enough to draw a conclusion. What tier is the ensorcellment on your runestaff? That determines how often it flares (the lower the tier, the lower the chance to flare).

GameMaster Estild
Re: 240 and ensorcell flares 04/02/2014 09:52 AM CDT

>That determines how often it flares (the lower the tier, the lower the chance to flare).

I wrote to Coase about this last week and haven't heard back, but has anyone looked at the code and confirmed this is true?
Re: 240 and ensorcell flares 04/02/2014 10:12 AM CDT
<< A sample size of 20 casts isn't really meaningful enough to draw a conclusion. What tier is the ensorcellment on your runestaff? That determines how often it flares (the lower the tier, the lower the chance to flare). >>

I know that's what the official documentation says, but that's not how it seems to work in practice. Tier 1 flares with the same frequency as Tier 5.
Re: 240 and ensorcell flares 04/03/2014 03:07 PM CDT

Mine's a T5. I'd love to give you a bigger sample size. Let me go through some logs....

JUST counting the first cast of 317, kill shot or not, it's still like 1/20 when I have my 240 up. This is counting everything from two kill tasks and two dangerous bounty tasks. Without it up, it's more like 1/5 or so. At one point I cast 33 times without it flaring at all. :/

Thinking something is wonky still.

Best,
Jim
Re: 240 and ensorcell flares 04/04/2014 12:00 PM CDT
It does appear that we changed the original design before the spell was implemented so that all tiers have the same frequency to flare. I've updated the spell description on the website.

Jim, I'll have to try to catch you in the game to observe you hunting. I'm not able to reproduce this issue and specifically tested it with Spirit Slayer (240) and Divine Fury (317).

GameMaster Estild