Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 10:06 AM CDT
I'm astounded this is even a serious spell. Why can a 13th level empath stop, without fail, any offensive spellcasting by any character of any level? It doesn't make sense.

Minor Sanctuary, like pretty much every other spell or ability in the game, should scale in power according to training. It's not just, "BAM! I'm a 13th level empath, now I'm MIGHTY! Ha ha ha, all you dumb capped wizards!" No. Hell no. You have to actually work at it. I could see having the expectation that a capped empath, suitably trained, might be able to stop nearly all spell-casting, although I would still expect there to be exceptions. At 100th level, that's reasonable. Characters are supposed to be uber-powerful at that stage. But at 13th level? Seriously? Come on.

Can you honestly not see how an uber "stop-every-spell-caster" ability at level 13 would be ridiculously unbalancing, and prone to abuse? Really? Really?
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 10:21 AM CDT
>>Can you honestly not see how an uber "stop-every-spell-caster" ability at level 13 would be ridiculously unbalancing, and prone to abuse? Really? Really?<<

This doesn't make any sense to me either. All I can think is that low level empaths are vunerable to PP since they are constantly given coins and are often in RT trying to heal down. Then again, there is something of an unwritten rule not to steal from them.

I do find myself wondering why this spell has no level checks or even warding check. I'd think that higher levels characters should be able to shake off or ignore the effects of this spell since they are so much more powerful than some of the people who cast it.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 10:38 AM CDT
<<<I'm astounded this is even a serious spell. Why can a 13th level empath stop, without fail, any offensive spellcasting by any character of any level? It doesn't make sense.>>>

<<<Minor Sanctuary, like pretty much every other spell or ability in the game, should scale in power according to training. It's not just, "BAM! I'm a 13th level empath, now I'm MIGHTY! Ha ha ha, all you dumb capped wizards!" No. Hell no. You have to actually work at it. I could see having the expectation that a capped empath, suitably trained, might be able to stop nearly all spell-casting, although I would still expect there to be exceptions. At 100th level, that's reasonable. Characters are supposed to be uber-powerful at that stage. But at 13th level? Seriously? Come on.>>>

<<<Can you honestly not see how an uber "stop-every-spell-caster" ability at level 13 would be ridiculously unbalancing, and prone to abuse? Really? Really?>>>

Those are MY words, used without credit or permission. That's called plagiarism. Worse, it's misrepresenting my views about a subject entirely different from that intended. I never expressed any opinion at all on Minor Sanctuary. My post was specifically replying to your own foolish rant about Song of Noise. Please delete it and use your OWN words.

On the topic at hand, I do NOT agree with the point you're making. Minor Sanctuary is a completely different spell, with a different purpose and different mechanics. It, like Song of Noise, is functioning as intended.

In the future, please leave me out of your pathetic little campaigns to advance your pickpocketing habit. You are not winning any friends this way.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 10:58 AM CDT
>>On the topic at hand, I do NOT agree with the point you're making. Minor Sanctuary is a completely different spell, with a different purpose and different mechanics. It, like Song of Noise, is functioning as intended.

Please try to stay on topic here please, this is about Minor Sanctuary not Song of Noise.

Why should a level 13 empath be able to shut down a capped wizard with no chance at failing?
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 11:14 AM CDT
<<<Please try to stay on topic here please, this is about Minor Sanctuary not Song of Noise.>>>

You don't get to make that argument, since you're the one who plagiarized MY words about Song of Noise and tried to pass them off as your own in order to make a point about Minor Sanctuary. You are worse than a troll. If I ever had any respect for you, it's completely gone now.

<<<Why should a level 13 empath be able to shut down a capped wizard with no chance at failing?>>>

The sanctuary spell is not an offensive spell. Nobody can take any offensive action in a sanctuary. There is no threat of abuse. And let's not pretend like you even care if it can "shut down a capped wizard". Your little rant has nothing to do with spellcasting and everything to do with pickpocketing, and everybody knows it.

If it's RP justification you're after, a sanctuary is a spiritually created phenomenon. Song of Noise is just noise, albeit of a magical type, and can be overcome. Sanctuaries are created by the gods, themselves. Even in light of this fact, sanctuaries can be broken. No, not by rogues (boo hoo), but by the darker antitheses of spiritual casters: sorcerers.

That's it, that's already way more than I ever wanted to say about Minor Sanctuary. I have no interest in this. Again, I am asking you to delete the post where you misrepresented my words as your own and to leave me out of your childish games in the future. Thanks a bunch.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 11:38 AM CDT
Setting aside who's zoomin' who, for a moment. . .

This much noise usually means there's a problem. And since I'm not seeing a problem worth this level of behavior, I have to believe the problem itself at the core isn't suitable for these forums. And all this is spillage.

Even with that said -- there's a germ of truth here. The goal of pick pocketing is to be so good as to be innocuous, to not threaten, to not be perceived as ill-intended, to be light-fingered, to be. . . well -- 'as calm as the praying pond in the mid of night'.

Yeah, ok. . . so maybe I'm confusing monks and pick pockets. But -- what if the sanctuary spell were reworked so that picking pockets were allowed. Until you got caught. Then, not only will the justice system likely kick in, but the spirits charged with protecting the area would be incensed beyond all measure.

Not only would those spirits (for the balance of spell duration, but also for as long as that spell could be kept in affect by refreshing) be so increasingly vigilant as to prevent the offender from pick pocketing again (I got my eye on you) but they would exact their own toll for the deception (loss of eyes, anyone?)

Take the risk, if you will. Get caught, and it's the casters' spirits' boot up your. . . well, you get the picture.

Doug
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 11:52 AM CDT
>>The sanctuary spell is not an offensive spell. Nobody can take any offensive action in a sanctuary.

This doesn't answer my question in the slightest bit.

>>Your little rant has nothing to do with spellcasting and everything to do with pickpocketing, and everybody knows it.

Why does everyone feel as though they can speak for the entire forum around here?

>>If it's RP justification you're after

That's just silly to try to justify this by some sort of RP justification.

>>I have no interest in this.

Are you sure?

>>But -- what if the sanctuary spell were reworked so that picking pockets were allowed. Until you got caught. Then, not only will the justice system likely kick in, but the spirits charged with protecting the area would be incensed beyond all measure.

That's actually not a bad idea, I think it could work for all effects of the spell. As you already described for pickpocket if the thief is caught (by ANYONE) while sanctuary is up then the spell could automatically do something to the thief without the person who cast the spell getting into any sort of trouble with the law. Or perhaps the thief will be prevented from attempting to pickpocket for 5 minutes after being caught. Or perhaps both.

As far as attacking/casting offensive spells there could be some sort of hidden warding check and if the attacking person passes then the sanctuary is broken, if the person fails just a little then their attack stops and they are prevented from even trying for a few minutes, if they fail by a lot then they are attacked in a similar fashion to the pickpocket described above.

Sounds like a much more interesting and better balanced spell.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 11:55 AM CDT
<<<Are you sure?>>>

What part of "leave me out of your childish games" did you not understand?

~ H
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 12:14 PM CDT
They should just remove Pick Pocketing from Minor sanctuary. Keep the people from being able to kill each other but a good pickpocket isn't aggressive or combative. It can be as simple as patting someone on the back while lifting the wallet from their pocket. This would make the empaths vulnerable though so they'd probably be against it. As for RP, I can't see any reason why the Arkati would care about how the mortals distribute shiny things.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 01:10 PM CDT
So stealing somebody's stuff isn't an aggressive action? That's a new one on me.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 01:25 PM CDT
>>So stealing somebody's stuff isn't an aggressive action? That's a new one on me.<<

No it's not an attack or anything, if done well you won't even know your were robbed and if done poorly it is still not an excuse for CvC.

IRL great thieves, grifters, pickpockets have a tremendous amount of skill. It's really an art although it's illegal and of course upsetting to the person who is robbed, you've got to respect the discipline and training that goes into honing this skill.

This is a quote from this Slate article: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2011/02/the_lost_art_of_pickpocketing.html

>>Pickpocketing in America was once a proud criminal tradition, rich with drama, celebrated in the culture, singular enough that its practitioners developed a whole lexicon to describe its intricacies. Those days appear to be over. "Pickpocketing is more or less dead in this country," says Harvard economist Edward Glaeser, whose new book Triumph of the City, deals at length with urban crime trends. "I think these skills have been tragically lost. You've got to respect the skill of some pickpocket relative to some thug coming up to you with a knife. A knife takes no skill whatsoever. But to lift someone's wallet<<

I'd like to see this proud tradition grow in our GSIV universe. One way to do that would be to nerf the anti pickpocket affect of Minor Sanctuary.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 01:28 PM CDT
>>What part of "leave me out of your childish games" did you not understand?

Please try to remain civil and on topic.

>>So stealing somebody's stuff isn't an aggressive action? That's a new one on me.

The action itself might be aggressive in the sense that it's a "hostile" act. How the act is performed is not necessarily aggressive. If I club someone over the head and take their money then that is aggressive. If it's as WOLFFC3 states someone merely bumps into you and lifts your wallet the action itself is not aggressive. Pickpocketing in GS is the latter one, I can only imagine the howls of protests if players were allowed to do the former.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 01:43 PM CDT
Lynch mobs and retaliatory justice were also proud criminal traditions. Therefore, if pickpocketing is allowed in a Sanctuary, spells like Sleep, Lullaby, Tangleweed (cast from defensive or guarded), Bind, and any other "nonaggressive" spell should also be able to be cast in a sanctuary. After all, we don't want to be discriminatory about which "proud traditions" we introduce into the game, particularly those that fall on the other side of the coin of an already introduced "proud tradition".
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 01:45 PM CDT
>>Therefore, if pickpocketing is allowed in a Sanctuary, spells like Sleep, Lullaby, Tangleweed (cast from defensive or guarded), Bind, and any other "nonaggressive" spell should also be able to be cast in a sanctuary.

I'm not so sure about bind but other than that I agree.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 02:03 PM CDT
Why not Bind?
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 02:07 PM CDT
>>Why not Bind?

Because anyone can help someone out of sleep or lullaby. Off the top of my head the only way to help someone out of bind is with Empath's surge spell.

I wouldn't be upset either way if bind was usable in a sanct or not, I just think it stands out from the other spells slightly.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 02:15 PM CDT
I think you all need to look up the definition of the word "sanctuary."

~ H
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 02:17 PM CDT
The way I see it is this. 213 protects clerics and empaths who put themselves into vulnerable states in order to help/rescue someone. The danger of removing the anti pick pocket effect is that the clerics and empaths make great targets while vulnerable like this and are often given lots of loose coin to carry. There is a part of our IG culture that looks down on pickpocketing them so perhaps the peer pressure is enough to keep them from getting absolutely pilfered while plying their trade.

Bind is a warding spell so at least it's taking skill/level into account.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 02:38 PM CDT
>>I think you all need to look up the definition of the word "sanctuary."

Which definition shall we look up?

a. A sacred place, such as a church, temple, or mosque.
b. The holiest part of a sacred place, as the part of a Christian church around the altar.
a. A sacred place, such as a church, in which fugitives formerly were immune to arrest.
b. Immunity to arrest afforded by a sanctuary.
3. A place of refuge or asylum.
4. A reserved area in which birds and other animals, especially wild animals, are protected from hunting or molestation. See Synonyms at shelter.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 02:49 PM CDT
Wikipedia: "A sanctuary, in its original meaning, is a sacred place, such as a shrine. By the use of such places as a safe haven, by extension the term has come to be used for any place of safety."

Those who seek refuge in a sanctuary can reasonably expect not to be assailed upon in any manner. In game terms, this means no attacks, offensive spells, and yes, no stealing. Furthermore, this is a magical sanctuary created by spiritual forces. As long as the sanctuary remains intact, those within it are incapable of offensive action against others. Period. It's really very simple.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 02:53 PM CDT
Wikipedia: "Death is the cessation of all biological functions that sustain a living organism. Phenomena which commonly bring about death include biological aging (senescence), predation, malnutrition, disease, suicide, murder and accidents or trauma resulting in terminal injury. Bodies of living organisms begin to decompose shortly after death. There is no scientific evidence that suggests consciousness survives the death of an organism."

Alright people no more talking while you're dead in game, there is no evidence that people are conscious while dead.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 03:21 PM CDT
>> Alright people no more talking while you're dead in game, there is no evidence that people are conscious while dead.

Actually, I suspect that only undermines your point. You have demonstrated an area where game mechanics clearly make a claim on how Elanthia works differently from Earth.

In Elanthia, quite obviously, we are conscious when dead. It makes little sense to appeal to real-world materials to try to clarify this point.

Similarly, in Elanthia, the spirits summoned to erect a Sanctuary do not allow stealing. So perhaps appeals to real world stealing, traditions, or whatever, makes as little sense as it does for death. The best view we have into how Elanthia works is through what is explicitly allowed or disallowed by the mechanics of the game. Sanctuary spirits don't like stealing. That's Elanthia for you.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 03:36 PM CDT
>>Actually, I suspect that only undermines your point. You have demonstrated an area where game mechanics clearly make a claim on how Elanthia works differently from Earth.

So you're saying this game is all about magic and we shouldn't expect things to necessarily conform to the real world? Especially literal definitions of words? Sounds good to me.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 05:22 PM CDT
The nerf advocates have failed so far to note the existing 213 nerf, where it can fail if there are higher-level creatures in the room. ("You attempt to call peaceful spirits to the area but are overwhelmed with a spirit of aggression!") That level 13 empath you're so concerned about can't necessarily put up a sanctuary against a tree spirit.

So rather than pretending that they're good upright citizens, maybe pickpockets should figure out how to exude that aura of aggression and prevent sanctuaries.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 05:35 PM CDT
>>So rather than pretending that they're good upright citizens, maybe pickpockets should figure out how to exude that aura of aggression and prevent sanctuaries<<

That would be perfect for a CoL master.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 10:19 PM CDT
>>So rather than pretending that they're good upright citizens, maybe pickpockets should figure out how to exude that aura of aggression and prevent sanctuaries.

So if someone has a criminal record it should interfere with someone casting minor sanctuary? Sounds good to me.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 11:03 PM CDT
>Wikipedia: "A sanctuary, in its original meaning, is a sacred place, such as a shrine. By the use of such places as a safe haven, by extension the term has come to be used for any place of safety."

>Those who seek refuge in a sanctuary can reasonably expect not to be assailed upon in any manner. In game terms, this means no attacks, offensive spells, and yes, no stealing. Furthermore, this is a magical sanctuary created by spiritual forces. As long as the sanctuary remains intact, those within it are incapable of offensive action against others. Period. It's really very simple. -Heathyr

Churches are commonly regarded as sanctuaries. Yet that didn't stop some crazy anti-abortion guy from walking in and killing an abortion doctor, or whatever that story was.

It also doesn't keep zombies out. I've played Red Dead Redemption and saw it on Walking Dead, so I know these things.

>You don't get to make that argument, since you're the one who plagiarized MY words about Song of Noise and tried to pass them off as your own in order to make a point about Minor Sanctuary. You are worse than a troll. If I ever had any respect for you, it's completely gone now. -Heathyr

Using someone's own words to point out their completely contradictory stance on two almost identical issues isn't exactly plagiarism.

>The sanctuary spell is not an offensive spell. Nobody can take any offensive action in a sanctuary. There is no threat of abuse. -Heathyr

Wrong. Ever see someone cast Call Lightning at someone and then sanct the room so that nobody can dispel it? How about setting off a scarab that nobody can kill because a level 13 decided to sanct the room, and it slowly kills everyone in the room one by one? Same with cloud traps, etc. I'm sure there are more examples, but those came to mind immediately.

>And let's not pretend like you even care if it can "shut down a capped wizard". Your little rant has nothing to do with spellcasting and everything to do with pickpocketing, and everybody knows it. -Heathyr

This capped wizard cares that a level 13 noob can completely shut me down. Therefore I would be forced to walk to the next room and cast Meteor Swarm in order to kill the scarab that otherwise can't be killed because it's wreaking havoc in a sancted room.

I couldn't care less about the pickpocket issue with Minor Sanctuary. What I do have a problem with is the fact that there are level checks on the spell vs. critters, but not vs. players. I know GS is notorious for its inconsistencies, but it is just a tad bit ridiculous that a fresh level 13 who could theoretically be trained in literally nothing except 13 major spirit ranks can shut down any offensive move from any character of any level no matter what.

I do like the pickpocketing suggestion that was made though, to allow pickpocketing in a sanct, but you're risking facing the wrath of the spirits if you're caught. It still doesn't address the caster level vs. pickpocket level, but it's still better than how it is now, with the spell still behaving as it was designed for a level 20 game.

I'm not trying to pick on you or single you out or anything. Your posts just happened to stand out.

Also on a side note, someone using a 3x a day sanctuary breaker to break sanctuaries 3x a day and then be threatened to have the item confiscated over it is...funny.

~ Methais
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/26/2013 11:46 PM CDT
<<<Churches are commonly regarded as sanctuaries. Yet that didn't stop some crazy anti-abortion guy from walking in and killing an abortion doctor, or whatever that story was.>>>

I'm sorry to break it to you, but real-life churches aren't magic.

<<<Using someone's own words to point out their completely contradictory stance on two almost identical issues isn't exactly plagiarism.>>>

I'm not sure why you're even involved in this, but if you look at the OP he used my exact words from a completely different thread and attempted to pass it off as his own. That's plagiarism. If he had simply quoted me, that would be one thing. But no. At best, he misrepresented my intent. I had made absolutely no comment about Minor Sanctuary at that point, nor had I intended to. We were discussing Song of Noise, which is a very different spell. My "stance" is not contradictory, and the issues are far from identical.

<<<Wrong. Ever see someone cast Call Lightning at someone and then sanct the room so that nobody can dispel it?>>>

This is a poor example. You could as easily cast any offensive spell in the book, or simply outright attack, then throw up a sanct to prevent a counter-attack. There's no way to claim casting sanctuary is an offensive ability.

<<<How about setting off a scarab that nobody can kill because a level 13 decided to sanct the room, and it slowly kills everyone in the room one by one?>>>

If your first example was poor, this one is outright ludicrous. Scarabs do not attack innocent bystanders in a sanct. If someone activates a scarab, the bug will attack the person who set it off (and only that person). When that person is dead, the bug will pop out and leave the area. It will not, I repeat, not "slowly kill everyone in the room one by one". That is a fallacy. It's not true.

<<<Therefore I would be forced to walk to the next room and cast Meteor Swarm in order to kill the scarab that otherwise can't be killed because it's wreaking havoc in a sancted room.>>>

Again, this situation will never happen. It's impossible. And on a side note, using Meteor Swarm to kill a scarab? Seriously?

<<<I couldn't care less about the pickpocket issue with Minor Sanctuary.>>>

Mmm-hmm. Okay.

<<<it is just a tad bit ridiculous that a fresh level 13 who could theoretically be trained in literally nothing except 13 major spirit ranks can shut down any offensive move from any character of any level no matter what.>>>

Again, please note the definition of sanctuary. The level of the character who created it is irrelevant. It's still a sanctuary.

~ Heathyr
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/27/2013 04:21 AM CDT
Actually. if anything is to be changed, I'd like to just eliminate the pickpocket skill altogether. All it does is annoy folks. But I doubt this would happen. Too many griefers would complain.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/27/2013 05:05 AM CDT
It is inconsistent and illogical for a level 13 spell to be a no fail, 100% way to prevent any offensive action by a character, period, with no training requirements beyond 13 ranks in MjS. At this point I am hard pressed to think of other mechanics in the game that can negatively effect other characters and have no level or skill based checks at all. I also don't care about pickpocket, and don't have a character trained in the skill, but there are plenty of ways that sanctuary could be made to actually make a trained skill more complex, challenging, and interesting instead of making it completely unusable.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/27/2013 06:13 AM CDT
>At this point I am hard pressed to think of other mechanics in the game that can negatively effect other characters and have no level or skill based checks at all.

Sanct isn't this either.

I can force a check on another player's sanct if I want to. Generally its pointless to do so, because the person putting putting up the sanct isn't consenting to conflict and you are just heading down the WARN, ASSIST, REPORT trajectory and a GM will step in and stop you doing whatever it was you knocked down the sanct to do.

However, if a cleric/empath is consenting to you having your evil way with them, the mechanics exist to play it out by knocking down their sanct.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/27/2013 10:11 AM CDT
>I'm sorry to break it to you, but real-life churches aren't magic. -Heathyr

Then why are you using Wikipedia as a reference? I don't recall the definition you copy & pasted mentioning anything about magic either, yet somehow it's supposed to be relevant to your argument, at least until you're called out on it.

>I'm not sure why you're even involved in this,

Oh gee I'm sorry, I didn't realize that this was a members only thread that required your permission to participate. Please accept my humble non-apologies.

>but if you look at the OP he used my exact words from a completely different thread and attempted to pass it off as his own. That's plagiarism. If he had simply quoted me, that would be one thing. But no. At best, he misrepresented my intent. I had made absolutely no comment about Minor Sanctuary at that point, nor had I intended to. We were discussing Song of Noise, which is a very different spell. My "stance" is not contradictory, and the issues are far from identical.

So sue him. I'm sure the judge would die laughing over something so petty.

And yes if you think a level 17 bard shouldn't be able to shut down a level 100, but it's a-ok for a level 13 to do so with minor sanctuary, then that is contradictory.

On a slightly unrelated note, does Song of Peace work like Minor Sanctuary? Or does it work like Song of Noise, as far as being level/training based? That would be a better comparison.

>This is a poor example. You could as easily cast any offensive spell in the book, or simply outright attack, then throw up a sanct to prevent a counter-attack. There's no way to claim casting sanctuary is an offensive ability.

I wasn't referring to it as a means to prevent a counter attack. You can cast Call Lightning and then sanct, which prevents the cloud from being dispelled, because spells like call wind, dispel, hand of tonis, etc. would all be blocked by the sanct., but the cloud will still strike. Breeze might be an exception though. I've seen 125/213 abused like that plenty of times over the years, so no, just because it doesn't suit your argument doesn't make it a poor example. It's still something that can be done (unless it's been changed, which just backs up my argument on 213's ridiculousness).

The scarab issue had apparently been changed at some point, so my info on scarabs in a sanct was outdated. Obviously it was seen as a problem, or else it wouldn't have been changed.

>Mmm-hmm. Okay.

Who are you again? I don't even have a character trained in pickpocketing. I can generate money thousands of times faster than anyone ever could by pickpocketing. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have an opinion on this issue, even if you do think this thread requires your exclusive permission to participate.

Not to mention I specifically stated that my main issue with the spell is its lack of consistency. It has a level/skill check against critters, but not against players. Perhaps you'd care to explain how that makes sense, despite me being here in this thread without your gracious blessing?

>Again, please note the definition of sanctuary. The level of the character who created it is irrelevant. It's still a sanctuary.

We're falling back on dictionaries again? Oh I see, it's only applicable when it's convenient for your argument.

But since we're using definitions again...

...I'm sorry to break it to you, but real-life sanctuaries aren't magic.

I hope you won't sue me for "plagiarism".

I've yet to see anyone make a valid argument on why 213 can shut down anyone regardless of level or training, and why it has a check vs. critters and not players. And I don't expect one to be presented either.

>Actually. if anything is to be changed, I'd like to just eliminate the pickpocket skill altogether. All it does is annoy folks. But I doubt this would happen. Too many griefers would complain. -Throgg

Why? There are tons of ways to not only prevent being pickpocketed, but to make the thief avoid you as a target altogether. Cursed gems, needles, etc. will keep a thief from targeting you.

If I know pickpocketing from a certain character would likely result in a cursed clear zircon being stuck to my hand or being stuck by a needle, then I'm not even going to bother trying to steal from that person in the future. Same thing if I put my hands in their pockets and repeatedly get nothing.

People who whine about pickpockets are generally just too lazy to take precautions, or ignorant to the easily accessible steps that can be taken to both prevent and deter a thief from not only stealing from you, but from targeting you altogether.

And of course theres always the foolproof method of closing your container and depositing your coins. If I leave my gem pouch open and someone steals from me, I consider it my own fault. But I also carry cursed gems and needles, so I don't even have to worry about it.

Would you leave your safe full of money unlocked at home? Of course not.

This game has been soccer mom'd enough over the years. Removing an entire skill because people are too lazy to use even one of the many easily accessible prevention methods is just ludicrous.

>However, if a cleric/empath is consenting to you having your evil way with them, the mechanics exist to play it out by knocking down their sanct. -Rathboner

Who says the evil character shouldn't have to consent to the cleric/empath's rainbow and unicorns ways then? Consistency and all, etc.

~ Methais
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/27/2013 10:16 AM CDT
>>Again, please note the definition of sanctuary. The level of the character who created it is irrelevant. It's still a sanctuary.

For someone who doesn't care about this thread you sure do seem to have a lot of opinions about it.

>>Sanct isn't this either.

How is sanct not a spell that has no level or skill check at all? Unless you mean on the off chance that a sorcerer is in the room with a demon that is trying to interfere with a sanct, that's not quite the same thing.

>>I can force a check on another player's sanct if I want to. Generally its pointless to do so, because the person putting putting up the sanct isn't consenting to conflict and you are just heading down the WARN, ASSIST, REPORT trajectory and a GM will step in and stop you doing whatever it was you knocked down the sanct to do.

And this is the crazy part; how is knocking down a sanct initiating conflict but putting up a sanct to prevent actions of other people isn't? Also sanct breakers are pretty useless since someone can instantly put up another sanct.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/27/2013 10:19 AM CDT
>>On a slightly unrelated note, does Song of Peace work like Minor Sanctuary? Or does it work like Song of Noise, as far as being level/training based? That would be a better comparison.

To my knowledge Song of Peace is pretty much identical to Minor Sanctuary; there are success/failure factors against critters and zero checks if there are no critters or demons attempting to interfere with sancts in the room.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/27/2013 02:57 PM CDT
>To my knowledge Song of Peace is pretty much identical to Minor Sanctuary; there are success/failure factors against critters and zero checks if there are no critters or demons attempting to interfere with sancts in the room. -Tgo01

That's equally stupid. Well almost equally, since they have to keep renewing it.

NERF BARDS!!!!!!!!!1

~ Methais
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/27/2013 03:48 PM CDT
>>That's equally stupid. Well almost equally, since they have to keep renewing it.

It actually makes a lot of sense if you knew the definition of the word "peace."
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 10/27/2013 05:47 PM CDT
>It actually makes a lot of sense if you knew the definition of the word "peace."

I have a magical pipe and violence still happens.

I read on the PC that peace is that brief moment when everyone stands around reloading.

What now?! Have your dictionary explain why Song of Peace works on more than just ranged users!

Time to PC this place up* with tubgoatlemons!

~ Methais

*(c) 2013 cwolff, Inc.

(I don't want to plagiarize the phrase he invented.)
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 08/16/2014 01:45 PM CDT

I know this is an outdated conversation but the argument that an 'attack' on someone's personal property isn't aggressive is a bit silly. That same argument would imply I could Bind, Silence, Web (non-bolt version), Dispel, and probably a few other things, all of which are considered attacks, since they don't physically harm the person.

Pickpocketing absolutely falls under the umbrella of an attack on a person's person or property and as such would be prevented by the Minor Sanctuary.

Perhaps if people are so inclined to really look at a game-mechanics sensible interpretation of Minor Sanctuary and it's effectiveness, it should utilize the DEMEANOR trait that characters can set in regards to one another. If a character is in the room with a DEMEANOR set to something aggressive towards the character casting the Sanctuary, then a check can occur based on experience much as occurs with creatures that are a certain level higher than the empath/cleric. This would mirror the game mechanics on how it works with creatures. Additionally, the added factor of Sanctuary should be put into effect, namely that someone that is aggressive towards the casting character cannot even enter the room once the Minor Sanctuary is set, just as in the field. Clearly mechanics of this sort would also have to require that no one is able to set DEMEANOR while IN THE ROOM, otherwise cheaters would try to come in, change it, and then attack/pickpocket heh.

I will file this idea under a cool idea that probably won't happen due to the complexity of it code wise.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 08/16/2014 01:54 PM CDT

Some good points in there. Main one that needs to be incorporated regarding pickpocketing (if it isn't already and I'm just unaware) is an option to set 'traps' on your coins in case those are targeted. Currently you can put needles, cursed gems, etc in any container to prevent or at least potentially hinder theft. I am not aware of any way of doing that for coins and it NEEDS to be an option to match the opinion that people have methods of defending against pickpocketing.
Re: Let's discuss Minor Sanctuary 08/17/2014 01:15 PM CDT
>Main one that needs to be incorporated regarding pickpocketing (if it isn't already and I'm just unaware)

minor sanctuary already blocks theft.

>Perhaps if people are so inclined to really look at a game-mechanics sensible interpretation of Minor Sanctuary and it's effectiveness, it should utilize the DEMEANOR trait that characters can set in regards to one another. If a character is in the room with a DEMEANOR set to something aggressive towards the character casting the Sanctuary, then a check can occur based on experience much as occurs with creatures that are a certain level higher than the empath/cleric. This would mirror the game mechanics on how it works with creatures. Additionally, the added factor of Sanctuary should be put into effect, namely that someone that is aggressive towards the casting character cannot even enter the room once the Minor Sanctuary is set, just as in the field. Clearly mechanics of this sort would also have to require that no one is able to set DEMEANOR while IN THE ROOM, otherwise cheaters would try to come in, change it, and then attack/pickpocket heh.

I don't know if it is possible for me to be more against this idea. It would bring back the abusive nature of sanctuary that has caused my character...and clearly myself...to despise the spell. Back in the day empaths and clerics routinely would hide in sanctuaries while bullying PCs with silence & bind. The release of demons evened the odds for a very small subset, but there were plenty of cases where sanctuary bullies, as in real life, were the first to run screaming to mommy and daddy GM when they were beaten at their own game. And of course, also like real life, the first one to cry to authority figures is deemed, with rare exceptions, to be in the right. Since then silence and bind got added to the list of spells that can't be cast in sanctuaries, leaving only RP memory reasons for my character to continue to hate sanctuaries. Let's not bring back a mechanical one. Being able to block a PC from entering a room just because the empathy/cleric doesn't like that PC and has a demeanor set to cold is...I can't even think of a forum appropriate way to sum up my thoughts on that one just at the moment.

--Jurp