218 Spirit Servant questions 08/31/2013 12:49 PM CDT

I've looked all over but I can't seem to find specific answers to some of the mechanics of 218. If anyone with experience using it would like to chime in, it'd be appreciated!

1) How fast does it pick up your disarmed weapon? Almost immediately or is there a delay? Does it matter if it has to drop something its already carrying? I'm just wondering about general times, ie 1 second or 3 seconds or more like 5 seconds?

2) How long does it stick around when you die? What happens if you're dead and the duration runs out? I think the answer is that it sticks around until you are resurrected or decay?

3) How long does it last after you are resurrected/decay? I've seen a post that estimated 5 minutes. Mainly I want to make sure you have time to hand off items before you get out of rez rt.

4) What happens when it runs out of duration when you are alive, ie just normal operation? Is there a warning/grace period or does it just poof?

5) What happens to items its holding when the duration runs out and it poofs? Do the items drop to the ground or do they get destroyed along with the creature?

Thanks for any help! :)
Re: 218 Spirit Servant questions 08/31/2013 01:19 PM CDT
>1) How fast does it pick up your disarmed weapon? Almost immediately or is there a delay? Does it matter if it has to drop something its already carrying? I'm just wondering about general times, ie 1 second or 3 seconds or more like 5 seconds?

My experience in Plat was that it was nearly instantaneous. I never saw it happen in all the scrolling of the dropping spells; but when I'd look at my spirit servant, it would be holding my runestaff. I've never had my spirit holding something, so I can't speak to that.

>2) How long does it stick around when you die? What happens if you're dead and the duration runs out? I think the answer is that it sticks around until you are resurrected or decay?

With the changes to spirit servants/familiars, the spell drops at death. The spirit sticks around until you're resurrected, then poofs and drops your item on the ground.

>3) How long does it last after you are resurrected/decay? I've seen a post that estimated 5 minutes. Mainly I want to make sure you have time to hand off items before you get out of rez rt.

Not long. It doesn't last through resurrection RT.

>4) What happens when it runs out of duration when you are alive, ie just normal operation? Is there a warning/grace period or does it just poof?

There's a warning grace period. I want to say a one-minute warning, but I'm not exactly sure.

>5) What happens to items its holding when the duration runs out and it poofs? Do the items drop to the ground or do they get destroyed along with the creature?

See #2.
Re: 218 Spirit Servant questions 08/31/2013 04:38 PM CDT

Ooh thank ya! I was mainly worried about the odd case where you got disarmed, the servant grabbed it, then you died ... I was hoping the weapon/runestaff wouldn't poof with the spirit. :)
Re: 218 Spirit Servant questions 08/31/2013 10:01 PM CDT
Just to confirm on the first query...

>>1) How fast does it pick up your disarmed weapon? Almost immediately or is there a delay? Does it matter if it has to drop something its already carrying? I'm just wondering about general times, ie 1 second or 3 seconds or more like 5 seconds?

Instantly, like 0 seconds.

[Roll result: 128 (open d100: 73)]
A skeletal lord swings a splintered lance at your pink vultite maul and connects!
Your pink vultite maul is knocked to the ground!
Roundtime: 7 sec.
An insouciant will-o-wisp spirit swoops down and picks up an opalescent pink vultite maul.
>stance off
>inc web
...wait 7 seconds.

And it does not matter whether it is already carrying something, it'll simply drop one of the two items in the same moment. (I don't know whether it drops the first or second.)

>kill
You swing your pink mithril claidhmore at a hisskra shaman. The weapon strikes one of the bony protrusions on the shaman's back and it is wrenched out of your grasp!
The pink mithril claidhmore falls to the ground!
A blissful will-o-wisp spirit swoops down, drops a moldy bone, and picks up a vivid pink mithril claidhmore.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
Re: 218 Spirit Servant questions 08/31/2013 10:04 PM CDT
And (for highlighting purposes) here's the one-minute warning:

You sense that your (ocean/stream/swamp/whatever) spirit will not be able to hold corporeal form much longer.
Re: 218 Spirit Servant questions 09/01/2013 02:54 AM CDT
The only delay issue I've had problems with is being disarmed before the spirit has followed me into the room. That is irritating beyond belief!

>>You slay me woman! ~ Wyrom

~*~ She conquers, who endures ~*~
Re: 218 Spirit Servant questions 09/01/2013 08:35 AM CDT

Yeah I read about that in an earlier thread here, ouch! 218 seems quite useful to say the least.
Re: 218 Spirit Servant questions 09/05/2013 07:17 PM CDT
So, I've never used my spirit to carry things around. Can they pick up boxes?
Re: 218 Spirit Servant questions 09/05/2013 08:53 PM CDT
<<So, I've never used my spirit to carry things around. Can they pick up boxes?>>

Yes, provided that there is at most one object in the box, or any other container. Silver coins count as an item. You can nest an object within an object, within an object, and so on. It just gets a little annoying to get them all out again.

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: 218 Spirit Servant questions 09/07/2013 02:42 PM CDT
Thanks, that's good to know. Maybe now I won't be using up so many black crystals for the one box I find per hunt.
Re: 218 Spirit Servant questions 08/16/2014 01:26 PM CDT

Now here is an interesting concept. Clearly the servant recognizes you were disarmed and picks up the weapon. Would it not follow then that a servant would recognize you have been hit with Weapon Fire? And therefore at the moment you are first unstunned could not the servant instantly take the weapon from you? :)
Re: 218 Spirit Servant questions 08/18/2014 08:28 AM CDT
"[A] servant would recognize you have been hit with Weapon Fire? And therefore at the moment you are first unstunned could not the servant instantly take the weapon from you? :)" -- DrTagnJr1

+1 Stamp of Approval!

Well-thought, sir!