Time Stop and sheer fear 02/11/2017 01:54 PM CST
A poster noted that warcries did not appear to be affected by time stop. I've seen the same ineffectiveness with sheer fear:

Overcome by the waves of evil emanating from the shambling lurk, your arms fall slack at your side and you find yourself unable to move.

A shambling lurk lets out a horrible retching sound, its gut pulsing and bulging in places. The distensions travel sickeningly up the lurk's chest and wasted gullet before, with a noisome belch, the lurk vomits a brackish substance at you! The corrosive glob strikes you full in the face!
... 10 points of damage!
Acid burn on the right ear!
You are stunned for 1 round!

Desperate in its hunger for flesh, a shambling lurk throws itself at you!
AS: +460 vs DS: +395 with AvD: +40 + d100 roll: +38 = +143
... and hits for 9 points of damage!
Loose arm hold.
SI>
You are still stunned.
SI>w
You are still stunned.
SI>stop time
Tapping into the lines of elemental energies traversing the world, you reach out and twist a few to your bidding. A golden hourglass materializes in front of you and you quickly turn it over, temporarily halting the flow of time in your immediate vicinity.

Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
I>nw
You don't seem to be able to move to do that.
I>w
You don't seem to be able to move to do that.
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/11/2017 03:47 PM CST
http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Wizards/Major%20Elemental%20Circle/view/2433

As I already posted in Dec 24th, no one has bothered to comment on the issue. A response would be appreciated.
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/12/2017 02:25 PM CST

Time Stop (55) also does not remove the stun received from using Raise Dead (318).
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/13/2017 08:14 PM CST
I ordered something online last week and selected normal 5 day shipping but then I used Time Stop and it got here the next day.

~ Methais
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/14/2017 02:42 PM CST

Methias was "TIME STOP" a new label for a bottom shelf whiskey, and were you inebriated for days between your order and the arrival?
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/15/2017 06:18 PM CST
>Methias was "TIME STOP" a new label for a bottom shelf whiskey, and were you inebriated for days between your order and the arrival?

I made my order, closed my browser, tabbed back to GS, typed INCANT 550, and then the next day UPS shows up with my order.

~ Methais
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/15/2017 06:51 PM CST
>>and then the next day

Clearly more EL:A training is needed - the preferred result is 'typed INCANT 550, answered the doorbell and signed for my package'.

Doug
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/15/2017 10:20 PM CST
With enough Lore skill, you just think about possibly ordering, and the doorbell rings with delivery.
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/16/2017 02:14 AM CST

You gotta upgrade to Prime Now for that (also need the option self powered functional MRI USB adapator though)
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/16/2017 07:28 AM CST
With enough Lore, when you cast Time Stop, the Enchanting Changes come out.

~Whirlin
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/16/2017 07:44 AM CST
>Clearly more EL:A training is needed - the preferred result is 'typed INCANT 550, answered the doorbell and signed for my package'.

I also considered this, but with my current earth lore training I was able to get free shipping.

~ Methais
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/16/2017 09:36 AM CST
>>I was able to get free shipping.

Ah. Yes. That wins. I need to retrain. . .

Doug
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/17/2017 10:32 AM CST
As an answer to the original question, Time Stop isn't going to help against sheer fear.

Viduus
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/17/2017 10:57 AM CST

But Viduus, what about free shipping?
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/17/2017 03:25 PM CST
>>Time Stop isn't going to help against sheer fear.

/waves hand

This is not the answer I was looking for.

Doug
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/17/2017 03:41 PM CST
This is not the answer you were looking for!

Viduus
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/17/2017 03:45 PM CST
Well played, sir. Well played. Dammit.

Ooug
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/17/2017 04:48 PM CST
>With enough Lore, when you cast Time Stop, the Enchanting Changes come out.

>~Whirlin

Imagine the havoc this will cause to your temper time on you enchant projects. Stop time too much and the project will never temper!

~Contemplar~
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/18/2017 10:49 AM CST
<As an answer to the original question, Time Stop isn't going to help against sheer fear.

Viduus>

This strikes me as odd. This is my interpretation of the spell and its effects:

- Fundamentally, time stop doesn't address any of the status conditions directly, such as how, for example, stun relief directly addresses the stun condition and reverses it. It simply moves time forward so all the adverse status effects durations run their respective courses.

- I agree with your statement above that time stop wouldn't directly address the sheer fear status effect. This makes sense, as time stop won't unstun, unweb, unroot, or affect any status condition directly.

- But if there is a temporal aspect to sheer fear, that is, its effect is tied to TIME, shouldn't time stop affect that? If time stop essentially "eats" the duration of adverse effects, shouldn't it affect sheer fear the same way? And if warcries are tied to time, shouldn't they be affected that way as well?

Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/18/2017 11:15 AM CST
- But if there is a temporal aspect to sheer fear, that is, its effect is tied to TIME, shouldn't time stop affect that? If time stop essentially "eats" the duration of adverse effects, shouldn't it affect sheer fear the same way? And if warcries are tied to time, shouldn't they be affected that way as well?

My understanding after having some conversations is that sheer fear isn't really time based. The weakening over time portion of it is more of an artificial restriction to keep players from being locked down for hours at a time. If the design matched the intent it would just be a persistent fear that didn't go away until the creature was dead or player was removed from the room. This is why even if you break out of sheer fear, the very next action of a creature will put you back into it.

Viduus
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/18/2017 11:54 AM CST
That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/18/2017 05:37 PM CST
Where has Konacon been? I have a gift for him.

Hellooooooo Konacon???

~ Methais
Re: Time Stop and sheer fear 02/21/2017 07:48 AM CST
>Imagine the havoc this will cause to your temper time on you enchant projects. Stop time too much and the project will never temper!

>~Contemplar~

Wouldn't it actually be reducing temper times by moving time forward by a few moments... Therefore being absolutely gamebreaking by rolling forward like, 1 minute a day for all 10 days of the temper... saving like, 10 minutes per cast?

Omfg, exploit found!

~Whirlin