can't install 04/08/2011 02:51 PM CDT
I just got a new macbook pro and can't seem to get wizard installed on this OS. Anyone use a current mac and know how to set it up?
Re: can't install 04/08/2011 08:34 PM CDT
You'll need Avalon, which is essentially an OS X port of the wizard. http://www.play.net/gs4/play/avalon-info.asp
The beta version seems all right, and has a script engine included. Myself, I prefer 4.1.5 with the yasse plug-in, found at http://sourceforge.net/projects/yasse/files/development/6.9.0/

The other option is to install virtualPC or Parallels or some other Windows emulator, and run SF through that.

- Metadi

Raelee carefully says, "A nightly contribution is not always required."
Raelee glances between Aydan and yourself.
Raelee says, "... from either of you."
Re: can't install 04/10/2011 07:30 PM CDT
Lich is an option for Avalon as well. It's harder to get going than YASSE, but worth it in my opinion.

If you want help getting it going, feel free to post here and we can help you through it.

-Keleborrn.
Re: can't install 04/14/2011 11:30 AM CDT
Wait...you can use lich on a Mac? Explain please...real slow. :)

Droughtman asks, "Did any of you still have questions for me?"

Speaking to Droughtman, you ask, "What's the tallest mountain in Elanthia?"

Droughtman exclaims, "Get out!"

Droughtman beats you severely.
Re: can't install 04/14/2011 01:08 PM CDT
So many jokes pop to mind, there, Bacl! :)

I'll see if I can put together something specific, but for the most part here's what I recall.

1) You'll have to install the Apple developers kit, because you'll have to compile the Ruby executable specific to Mac OS X. There are some restrictions on which version runs where, but I don't recall them off-hand.

2) I don't believe the windowing framework written for some of the scripts works completely -- I would be happy to be wrong. Some scripts, like waggle.lic, when setup is run, open a window. There may be some problems with these.

3) You'll have to understand a bit more about the Apple filing system than for Windows -- but if you're familiar with Linux / OS X, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

4) The Ruby interpreter and Lich scripts will work fine with Avalon as an FE (once properly installed).

5) Script conversion between Avalon's script engine and Lich isn't quite as straightforward as with Wizard, but it's close. Some Avalon scripts might require some finagling.

6) The Lich website has some (limited) information about this process. I suspect a couple of other third party sites, like PC, may have more information -- but I can't speak to the quantity or quality of that information.

I'll do some poking and prodding on a Mac Dev system I have, and see if I can't put together a 'quick install' type guide with observations, to fill this need.

Doug
Re: can't install 04/14/2011 06:09 PM CDT
Lich itself is a Ruby script. You need to get Ruby installed (it comes installed in 10.6 (Snow Leopard)) - and you'll also need X11 installed for scripts that use windows (little w, not the OS).

After that, it's a matter of opening up terminal and running the Lich Ruby script with the correct parameters - like this:

sudo ruby ~/documents/lich/lich.rbw --gemstone --avalon

Then you launch Avalon like normal and away you go.

It's simple in theory. Actually getting Ruby installed so that everything works took a little doing, for me at least. Totally 100% worth it in every way. It really reinvigorated me to play GS. It eliminates so much grind stuff.

That and I like coding so getting to make scripts in Ruby is pretty baller.

-Keleborrn.