Highlights 02/18/2014 12:42 PM CST

I'm using a fairly old Mac running OS 10.6.8. I've noticed that I seem to have reached an upper limit on the number of global highlights I can store (and yes, I have a bunch of highlights). I'm not sure if the highlight limit is a function of the GlobalHighlights file or the system itself, but the system does not seem able to store any more highlights unless I delete some existing highlights.

I have some suggestions on highlights that are just being thrown out there for consideration (and yeah, I'm a little OCD :) ).

1) Allow users to create default categories, much like the existing ones, but with more specificity - this would allow users to declare the highlight and assign a default category to that highlight.
EXAMPLE: Using the existing default, I can highlight creatures - but this means ALL creatures, not just the ones that are going to be attacking me out in the wild. Frankly, I don't give a damn about the NPCS and the miscellaneous spirits and familiars following PCs around. It would be nice to be able to create a Default Category called Monsters that would specifically call out only those creatures that I've assigned as monsters. Further, with these kinds of default categories, I can create more than one kind of Monster - Basic Monsters, Undead Monsters, and Oh Crap! Monsters. Sure I'll still have a lot of critters listed, but the amount of redundant data should decrease.

EXAMPLE 2: I have PCs highlighted by several criteria - are they able to easily spell me up, their class (so I have an idea of what they cast), their relative power, and so on. I don't highlight anyone I haven't personally met during my travels. So for example, If I meet a ranger but they are brand new, I don't highlight them - once they can cast Mass Colors, they get a highlight. If they are an Elder Ranger, the background color changes (since they are both more dangerous to me and more useful - they've worked hard to get where they are and deserve respect). To do this now, I have to get their name, add the highlights (foreground and background), then check the Word Boundary and Case Sensitive checkboxes, then assign a category (Elder Ranger, Ranger or whatever). It would be easier to create a Default Category, assign the various settings once, and then just add that category as data along with the character's name in the highlight.

Technically, I could do this using the "character specific" highlights, but that's going to mean a lot of redundant data and a lot of copying stuff over.

2) I'm not sure what the point of the "invisible" checkbox is - from what I can see, it makes the background highlight match the existing screen background. wouldn't it be easier to add a "new" button that automatically matches the background color of the interface, rather than having to seek out the checkbox afterwards?

3) The sort functions for the Highlight and Categories are very useful - is there a reason they were not extended to the background and foreground as well?

Just a few thoughts - I'm ready for my bash-up, Mr. Deville.