Avalon Window and Character Preferences 11/04/2012 06:54 PM CST
Does anyone know where they hide so you can "fix" them on dual Intel core Macs using Lion?

On my old single Intel core, I'd go to "Library" and into the Preferences folder, where the Simutronics folder used to be. In the "GS" folder there, there was a folder for each character rolled up, where the window, character, fonts, and macro preferences lived.

Back then, rather than modify every window for every character brand new, I discovered that I could take the .plists from one character and copy/replace them into the new character folder and voilá... instant identical window set ups!

That no longer seems to be the case... or the option with the new Mac. As such, I am left with ugly black windows with white fixed font, which is hard to read and hard on my ancient eyes.

Serious replies only, please!

Thanks,
GM Mariath
Re: Avalon Window and Character Preferences 11/04/2012 07:46 PM CST
Documents/Simutronics/Simutronics?

Chad/Nouvard
Re: Avalon Window and Character Preferences 11/04/2012 08:21 PM CST
No Chad... I've tried altering those with no success. Before, on the older Mac, they were in Library/Preferences/Simutronics/GS. It doesn't go there with dual Intel Cores/OS X 10.7.5/Lion.

-Mariath
Re: Avalon Window and Character Preferences 11/05/2012 10:06 AM CST
It looks like they're stored in your user library, at:

~/Library/Preferences/Simutronics

The problem here is that your Library folder is now invisible. I'm able to see it by ftp'ing to my own home directory and viewing the invisible files in there. Let me know if that sentence makes no sense.
Re: Avalon Window and Character Preferences 11/05/2012 10:24 AM CST
I had to tinker in the Library files for some annoying troubleshooting thing a month or two ago. I'm not the Terminal / Hack the Gibson type, but here's the commands to see those library files:

Open the Terminal

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

And then to make them invisible again...

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

And yes, it's slightly scary typing "Kill All Finder," but it just resets the finder.

Killll allll finndeeerrrrsssss...

Xanith
Re: Avalon Window and Character Preferences 11/05/2012 10:46 AM CST
You're right, it is scary. I'll give it a try, worse thing that could happen... I'll pay the Mac home-call doctor $90 to fix my computer from my manipulations :) And then maybe he can fix my issue.

Thanks all!

-Mariath
Re: Avalon Window and Character Preferences 11/05/2012 10:57 AM CST
::sigh:: Tried that and it revealed the files, replaced them with versions from the prefs of characters I used most often, one doesn't change at all... the other is halfway there.

Wish someone could just come over to my house and help me do this!

Going back to the old Mac and bringing over all my character files, instead of just the ones for the two new characters.

Thanks for the help!

-M.
Re: Avalon Window and Character Preferences 11/16/2012 04:34 PM CST
You can also get to the ~/Library directory from the Finder's "Go" menu at the top of the screen. Choose "Go to Folder" and type in "~/Library" (without the quotes) in the window that pops up. It should take you to your Library directory.

I had to mess with things a little bit to get them to work right under Lion. As long as you keep a good copy of the folder for each character, it might not hurt to trash/delete the "bad" folder and copy in a fresh "good" one. It took me a little bit of messing with things to get all my toons to show up with the correct window configurations, but it seems pretty stable now.

Avalon does crash about 50% of the time when I quit the app after logging out. It doesn't seem to be a major issue, so I'm not worried about it. No idea if it's worse under Mountain Lion or not. My old Mac Pro only supports running on Lion, and I can't get Apple to put out a worthwhile update to the Mac Pro line yet. :)

Sildus