Creating new character on Mac 08/13/2011 06:02 PM CDT
I'm trying to create a new character on the Mac, but when I click on "Go Play!" from either the main GSIV page or the Forums, I get to a page telling me that Avalon is compatible with Lion and giving me the options to download Avalon. I have Avalon, I just want to create a character, which I can't do through it. This occurs both in Chrome and FF4. The page I keep ending up on is https://www.play.net/gs4/play/avalon-info.asp.

If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it!

Sarah
Re: Creating new character on Mac 08/13/2011 06:08 PM CDT
If you already have Avalon downloaded to your Mac, Sarah, just run that application and log in from there. As I remember, Avalon has its own log-in capabilities.

Doug
Re: Creating new character on Mac 08/13/2011 06:28 PM CDT
Thanks Doug -- I have no problem logging into Avalon and getting to characters I already have. I'm having trouble creating a new character. The website seems to be intercepting me when I click on "Go Play" in order to tell me about the availability of Avalon, I guess because it is detecting that I am on a Mac. Previously I used the web interface to create a character, and I can't get to it. I can't see a way to get to it from Avalon either. :/

Sarah
Re: Creating new character on Mac 08/13/2011 06:30 PM CDT
I've been meaning to ask this question: Is Avalon compatible with Lion? Apple dropped Rosetta, so Lion only supports Intel-based Macs.
Re: Creating new character on Mac 08/13/2011 06:32 PM CDT
I have Lion installed and Avalon 4.2.2 seems to have a graphical stuttering problem that disrupts communication -- so it's not playable. Not sure if that's a Lion problem or not.

4.1.5 seems okay but I haven't been using it for very long as I'm obsessing over the character creation part. ;)

Sarah
Re: Creating new character on Mac 08/13/2011 06:45 PM CDT
Thanks for the info. I'll have to see what version of Avalon I'm running before I upgrade.
Re: Creating new character on Mac 08/14/2011 11:27 AM CDT
Sorry, Sarah. You're absolutely right -- prodding at it for a few minutes would indicate that the character creation capability is not available for Macs. There may be a work-around, but nothing immediately springs to mind.

Solomon - need two things, quickly.

1) Whoever rolled out 4.1.5 needs to update to 4.1.6 to included the Shattered instances. There's no sense in maintaining the client without actually maintaining it. And this takes all of 15 seconds to do correctly and bundle for distribution.

2) The PLAY area (http://www.play.net/gs4/play/home.asp) needs to be modified so that after showing the NEW INFO about the Avalon client (preferably 4.1.6 updated to include all instances) to Mac based browsers, it does not REPEAT itself -- instead, it returns to the standard "choose character / create character" options.

At present, your Mac based customers cannot use the recommended client for Shattered, and cannot create new characters for any instance.

Please advise.

Doug
Re: Creating new character on Mac 08/14/2011 02:40 PM CDT
This is a very recent change, too. I've created plenty of new characters, and not that long ago, and I always play on a Mac. Hitting "go play" did not take you to the download page until recently--I just came back to the game after a break two months ago, and I that when I reactivated my accounts I had to go in several times to drop characters I did not want anymore, which is done from the same page as where you create a new character. So someone did a redirect on this within the last two months.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Creating new character on Mac 08/14/2011 02:51 PM CDT
I posted the problem on the Simu boards as well, so with luck someone will fix it soon.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Creating new character on Mac 08/17/2011 10:29 PM CDT
Got a response from Simu-Myke on the Simu boards. Here it is:

The link to the character creator is being added back for Mac. For now you can try going here:

https://www.play.net/gs4/play/cm/gender.asp?gameName=gs4&instanceID=0&game=GS4&frontend=stormfront&resolution=3840x1200

Myke

So at least we can create characters again while they get this fixed.

--David

Re: Creating new character on Mac 08/18/2011 12:04 PM CDT
Thanks, David.

Doug