Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 06/09/2017 08:22 AM CDT
Hi folks, nooberelf time (I'm getting good at asking for help; only took me ~40 years). I still haven't figured out how to read the new loresinging system with regard to temporary enhancements when there are multiple special attributes.

Curious how you would interpret the qualities on these leathers? Would you say this leather is temp flares or temp resists? If you think it's the latter, is it possible one of the resists is temp and the other permanent? The 1.6m value leads me to believe the resists are permanent and flares are temporary but maybe I'm wrong! How can we know?? I had a warrior assess them, thinking we could see if the resists were temp/perm but he couldn't even SEE the resists. So confused.

The first thing that strikes you about the leather is the weight, which is about 16 pounds. In your best estimation, it's worth about 1,600,000 silvers. You can also tell that the double leather is predominantly crafted of leather.

You sense a faint aura of magic surrounding the leather. From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the leather is as some type of defensive garment. It also appears to have a temporary modification of some kind.

It has a bonus of +10 from a normal leather, and the way it vibrates in tune with your voice tells you that it is soft leather armor. It also has some type of special ability, but you can't tell what yet. The double leather seems to have some sort of unusual protection against damage.

The harmonics generated tell you that the leather has been infused with a disintegrating substance.
The leather resonates with your voice, revealing some details of its temporary enhancement:
The leather's enhancement will degrade when the wearer is struck in combat.
It should be able to withstand an incredible amount of uses before its enhancement has completely degraded away.
When its enhancement has degraded away, the item will simply return to normal.
As your song penetrates the double leather, you determine that it is moderately resistant to crushing attacks and moderately resistant to puncturing attacks.

Thanks!
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 06/09/2017 09:39 AM CDT
As the. . .
[stuff happens]

All one insight by loresong until. . .

As the . . .
[more stuff happens]

Here you have

>>the harmonics generated
[and some information pertaining to the armor's temporary flaring ability]

and then. . .

>>As the song permeates
[with some information about the armor's resistances]

I'm betting a warrior will tell you they're permanent, though.

Doug
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 06/09/2017 12:11 PM CDT
Hi Doug, as I stated, this armor didn't display any resists to the capped warrior, which further exacerbates the issue around Temporary messaging.

More to the point of Loresong messaging though, temp messaging doesn't show immediately after its affected attribute and never has. Short of reorganizing the temporary messaging to show immediately after the specific attribute, here is an alternative solution: Change the words a little to accommodate insertion of a new TEMPORARY variable in V3 and V4. It would be super great if staff (Estlid or Keios these days I think?) would consider these.

See in bold. 2nd resist would be an example of null, aka, permanence.

Verse 3:
It has a bonus of +10 from a normal leather, and the way it vibrates in tune with your voice tells you that it is soft leather armor. It also has some type of special [temporary/null] ability, but you can't tell what yet. The double leather seems to have some sort of unusual [temporary/null] protection against damage.

Verse 4:
The harmonics generated tell you that the leather has been [temporarily/null] infused with a disintegrating substance.
The leather resonates with your voice, revealing some details of its temporary enhancement:
The leather's enhancement will degrade when the wearer is struck in combat.
It should be able to withstand an incredible amount of uses before its enhancement has completely degraded away.
When its enhancement has degraded away, the item will simply return to normal.
As your song penetrates the double leather, you determine that it has moderate [temporary/null] resistance to crushing attacks and moderate resistance to puncturing attacks.
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 06/09/2017 12:39 PM CDT
Ah, yep, sorry - totally glossed by the warrior having assessed it. That is odd, honestly.

As to 'doesn't show immediately after', I'm honestly confused by what you mean. I think in verse 4 the attributes of the temporary effect do immediately follow the named effect. Seems that way in every temp effect item I've seen. I may not be describing it well, though.

But, the important point: Additional verbiage to help clarify, as a suggestion - I'm all in.

Doug
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 06/09/2017 01:39 PM CDT
I've seen some items like this in my short time singing. It almost never is the flares (unless added via the AG) and will be one or both of the resists. I hope the clean up of the output of the bardsongs is on a short list of easy things to fix because even at best it's a bit of a mess.

Wyrom says, "Ordim is the reason savants won't be coded as well."
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 06/09/2017 04:40 PM CDT
<Ah, yep, sorry - totally glossed by the warrior having assessed it. That is odd, honestly.>

Warriors can only see the temporary slash/puncture/crush fitting type they are specialized in, not all resistances.
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 06/09/2017 11:57 PM CDT
It has been like this since April 2016.

:(

I think I left a pitiful message asking for it to be looked into once, so I'll keep my whining to a minimum.

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 06/10/2017 10:35 AM CDT
Just to come full circle on this -- We reached out to a GM for clarification on the stats. Final determination is that the flares are permanent, the crush resist is permanent, and the puncture resist is temporary. According to what we were told, the warrior couldn't see the resists because there was more than one resist on the leathers. And as we know (which is now confirmed), loresinging didn't display which or how many of the three features was temporary based on currently designed messaging.

Simply put, neither bard nor warrior would have been able to determine the stats on these leathers and I don't think having to reach out to a GM to get the stats on an item is a good approach. Therefore I'd like to reiterate my suggestion as made in post # 225: Short of a total revamp, please just change a few words in messaging for Verse 3 and Verse 4 and include a variable for temp/null.

Thanks!

URL to post #225: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Bards/Loresinging/view/225
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 06/10/2017 12:53 PM CDT
>>Just to come full circle on this

I appreciate the diligence on this.

Doug
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/28/2017 03:12 PM CDT
You should now be able to tell which property is temporary when loresinging.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/28/2017 03:26 PM CDT
>You should now be able to tell which property is temporary when loresinging. -Estild

Thaaaaaank you thank you thank you.

---
Cendadric says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 30 silver coins for it."
You think to yourself, "This deal is getting worse all the time."
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/28/2017 04:00 PM CDT
You rock, Estild.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/28/2017 04:10 PM CDT

Thank you very kindly!
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/28/2017 04:58 PM CDT
YAY!! Estild is my HERO OF THE DAY!

No, MONTH, considering!

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
;tune towncrier
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/28/2017 06:19 PM CDT

*showers Estild with confetti*
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/28/2017 07:24 PM CDT
You should now be able to tell which property is temporary when loresinging.
GameMaster Estild

Additional requests:

Show the amount of TD bonus.
Show the level of acuity and mana flares.

You currently have to prep and cast spells to see the bonus.
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/28/2017 07:59 PM CDT
Many Thanks!
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/29/2017 11:38 AM CDT
Estild, could you also fix Voln armor? It doesn't show up at all in loresinging, only way to tell is analyze. I don't know if same for other rare armors like Ithzir or such but there's a lot of things that loresinging is missing nowadays with the recent mechanic additions.
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/29/2017 12:17 PM CDT
>Estild, could you also fix Voln armor? It doesn't show up at all in loresinging, only way to tell is analyze. I don't know if same for other rare armors like Ithzir or such but there's a lot of things that loresinging is missing nowadays with the recent mechanic additions.

I'm not sure how feasible this is. Loresinging has never identified special scripts unless the script itself had a special loresong. Voln and Ithzir armor are just scripted. It's probably on the script owner to add a special loresong if that's something they want to do, but the value add seems minimal, since you can just analyze the thing and see that it's X or Y script (assuming it has an analyze).

/bystander opinion

---
Cendadric says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 30 silver coins for it."
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/29/2017 12:29 PM CDT
VEYTHORNE
Additional requests:
Show the amount of TD bonus.
Show the level of acuity and mana flares.

Done.

NENMOONIA
Estild, could you also fix Voln armor? It doesn't show up at all in loresinging, only way to tell is analyze. I don't know if same for other rare armors like Ithzir or such but there's a lot of things that loresinging is missing nowadays with the recent mechanic additions.

I can understand the concern here, but that's something that has to be addressed with the script itself, not loresinging.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/29/2017 01:22 PM CDT
..... Quick, nobody take your eyes of the loresong leprechaun. He can't escape as long as somebody is looking. Anything else?
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/29/2017 01:24 PM CDT
Defender bonus? >_>

---
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/29/2017 01:36 PM CDT
(If it's not already part of the analyze,) WHICH TWO flares are available via Ironwright?
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/29/2017 01:38 PM CDT
MOURNE
Defender bonus?

Done, and offensive bonuses (zelnorn).

GameMaster Estild
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/29/2017 01:39 PM CDT
>> (If it's not already part of the analyze,) WHICH TWO flares are available via Ironwright?

Analyze has this one well in hand (it's not always two btw, mine does 3)
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/29/2017 01:40 PM CDT
It's been a while since I played the character that has that, and I typically forget to do 'analyze' anyhow, so I figured I'd cover the base while he was here.

"3"

Nice....
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/29/2017 01:49 PM CDT

yay, no more bugging Roblar to come over and wear plate armors while I spirit barrier him.
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/29/2017 01:51 PM CDT
>All the updates

So many thanks. :D

---
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/29/2017 01:57 PM CDT
>All the updates

+100 <3

---
;tune towncrier
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/29/2017 04:56 PM CDT
These little updates can be just as big a deal for some people as the big ones. Thanks for taking the time, Estild.

!>tell child to be quiet
The child cries, "I don't wanna!"
Bug with acuity update to loresinging 08/29/2017 10:35 PM CDT
It looks like when there is acuity flares now, it will not show the enhancive details.

You sing quietly in Guildspeak to your carmiln runestaff:
1st song
Roundtime: 13 sec.

The first thing that strikes you about the runestaff is the weight, which is about 2 pounds. In your best estimation, it's worth about 600,000 silvers. You can also tell that the carmiln runestaff is predominantly crafted of carmiln.

2nd song
Roundtime: 13 sec.

You sense a faint aura of magic surrounding the runestaff. From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the runestaff is as some type of weapon. Also, it seems to have some sort of enhancive properties.

3rd song
Roundtime: 12 sec.

It has a bonus of +6 from a normal runestaff, and the way it vibrates in tune with your voice tells you that it requires skill in twohanded weapons to use effectively. It also has some type of special ability, but you can't tell what yet.

The runestaff resonates with your voice, indicating that it enhances its owner in the following ways:
It provides a bonus to Magic Item Use Ranks.
This enhancement may not be used by adventurers who have not trained 3 times.
It provides a bonus to Armor Use Ranks.
This enhancement may not be used by adventurers who have not trained 10 times.
You think that you could probably find out something more about the runestaff's enhancive properties if you tried.

4th song
Roundtime: 15 sec.

The harmonics generated tell you that the runestaff allows a caster to occasionally focus their magical prowess for a single cast, temporarily granting +5 bolt Attack Strength or +3 Casting Strength.

You sense that the carmiln runestaff will persist after its last enhancive charge has been expended.
Re: Bug with acuity update to loresinging 08/30/2017 12:00 AM CDT
VEYTHORNE
It looks like when there is acuity flares now, it will not show the enhancive details.

This should now be resolved. Thanks for reporting it.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/30/2017 06:53 AM CDT
Is it possible to get a list of what can NOT be sung thru loresinging? I noticed my nervestaff also does not register in the loresinging result. Considering loresinging is considered the most definitive way to tell you the properties of the item - I feel this is a huge gap.

At the minimum, can there be a line added to the loresinging result to indicate there's a "VERY SPECIAL PROPERTY" on this item to alert us to try analyze or something else? It's not a good customer relation to miss the most important part of the item and also means it can't be shown on the playershop.
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/30/2017 07:27 AM CDT
>> Is it possible to get a list of what can NOT be sung thru loresinging?

All Scripts. There's about 30,000 of Them.

Loresinging only tells you base properties of the item, and what was added were the ones that were missing. But scripts, such as Nerve, have never showed up.

If you're doing singing, you should just always analyze. And Zest Test, because Zesty scripts won't show up in either.
Re: Confusing Loresong on leathers with flares & 2 resists 08/30/2017 09:10 PM CDT
It looks like the messaging for temporary damage and crit weighting/padding might be mixed up. This issue also extends to bow sighting where the messaging states they will lose their ability to inflict greater damage:

The harmonics generated tell you that the bow temporarily assists its bearer with aiming attacks at range.
The bow resonates with your voice, revealing some details of its temporary enhancement:
The bow's enhancement will degrade when it scores a successful strike.
It should be able to withstand quite a few uses before its enhancement has completely degraded away.
When its enhancement has degraded away, the item will lose its ability to inflict greater damage.