Loresinging style? 05/16/2014 08:40 PM CDT
Is a sestina a valid form of loresinging?

I have a very young bard and she hasn't tried any singing at all. What do I need to know to get started?

Magarven the Mad
Re: Loresinging style? 05/17/2014 06:51 AM CDT
Almost anything can work, and if there's a form you would like to use, go for it.

Mostly you just need to get a modest number of levels. You'll be fairly useless at level 0 and fairly decent at level 10. For the various tricks, find a bard in game and ask them about it.
Re: Loresinging style? 05/17/2014 02:16 PM CDT
The exact mechanisms of loresinging are considered a game secret. Gods alone know why; there's no secret about rogue or warrior guild skills, for example. Pretty dumb if you ask me, but then, no one did.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Loresinging style? 05/18/2014 07:26 AM CDT

As a bard, I always felt that loresinging was something that definitely should be taught in game and be an in game secret. It is an excellent opportunity to roleplay with other bards. When my bard was ready to loresing, really loresing, not any of that hand in land crap, she found an expert bard and had him teacher her the finer points of loresinging. It was a pretty neat experience and helped define her as a bard.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Sylvans
Half Elves
Re: Loresinging style? 05/18/2014 10:46 AM CDT
>> not any of that hand in land crap

This makes my soul cry every time I hear a bard sing this.

-- Robert
Re: Loresinging style? 05/18/2014 11:59 AM CDT
Its a cry for help, didn't it use to get you struck by lightning to use that particularly cliche lyric.

I am by no means an expert but with a little practice even a rank amateur like me can get information from most things ;)

Good luck, find me in game if you need help,
Archales
Re: Loresinging style? 05/18/2014 12:41 PM CDT
After 10+ years of trying to be creative and create a loresong each and every time I sung, I gave up. It nets you zero reward (with the rare chance another bard witnesses it that might garner you a NOD), takes a significant amount of extra time and often fails to gain you the information you are attempting to retrieve if you incorrectly use a single word. If I want to make some effort I will, but usually I switch to bard speak and use a script. Sorry, I should care, but so many other people use short cuts and still get kudos that I just stopped bothering.

~Galenok
Re: Loresinging style? 05/18/2014 01:04 PM CDT
>> After 10+ years of trying to be creative and create a loresong each and every time I sung, I gave up.

The approach I have taken with my bard (and have seen several other bards take as well) is to come up with interesting loresongs specific to my character. I reuse the same loresongs each and every time but they are somewhat entertaining, still work, don't require that I come up with something new and creative for each and every item I sing, but aren't the pasty, soul draining, unimaginative "hand in land" songs that seems to be used by a large portion of the bard singing population.

-- Robert
Re: Loresinging style? 05/18/2014 05:53 PM CDT
I have a few old standby verses that I adapt to most items. If I have time, I'll ask the client where they found the item and use that in the song to make it a little more interesting for them, but if they have a lot of items (and many folks do hoard all the $35k+ at the pawn items they find for several weeks), I too switch to guildspeak and use some truly terrible rhymes. I do not use hand/land out of abject shame, but I definitely make sure there are no bards around to hear the alternatives, lol.

/seo/
Re: Loresinging style? 05/21/2014 12:31 PM CDT
If you're going to hand/land it, for the sake of everyone, please at least switch to guild speak!

~GM Liia, whose soul is crying near Robert's
Team 3P, Paid Events Guru
Re: Loresinging style? 05/25/2014 08:06 AM CDT
While I agree that all of the most simplistic of loresongs are somewhat exasperating to this bard and other, one thing to keep in mind is the demands of the customers. There is a constant desire for speed now in the game. Customers do not want us to sit and sing to a single item over the course of minutes. They want it done and over with in a short time frame. This does not hold true in all instances but the shift has been going that direction as more people script and spend less time interacting. I'm not supporting that but I do support providing a service in a time frame that the customer seems to want. A good example of this overriding desire is evident with lockpicking now. Only a percentage has the desire or patience to wait to make more money.

I will attempt to write something generic yet appealing to my ears and the ears of others and save it as a macro so that I can provide something middle groundish.

~Galenok
Re: Loresinging style? 05/25/2014 11:15 AM CDT
In addition to my original post...

I do not do unique loresongs for each item. I have one that is nice, uses all the tricks, and does not use hand in land at all! I use it for all items except special ones.

I just personally feel that learning to loresing should be taught in-game by another bard. Learning to loresing from one of the masters of my pc days (Icewhite, to throw out a blast from the past) was one of the rp experiences that has stuck with me over the years.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Sylvans
Half Elves
Re: Loresinging style? 05/26/2014 09:44 PM CDT
If someone is handing me an item to loresing, I'm bloody well going to sing it however I want. I'm a bard. I get to dilly dally around, be over the top, get distracted by shiny objects.. whatever. Then they can thank me when I tell them the details. Because they never tip(even if I do rush it).

Now, if someone says "hey, I've got 30 items here, give you 100k if you sing to them all", well, then, shinies! and wam bam, here's your loresong ma'am.
Re: Loresinging style? 05/31/2014 12:07 PM CDT
My bardess has access to at least 50 loresongs I have written and used over the years that vary in style and length for all manner of specific and generic items, none of which use the words hand or land (I cringe everytime I hear/see it). If anyone would like help in putting together some verses, I will gladly help.

>>You slay me woman! ~ Wyrom

~*~ She conquers, who endures ~*~

http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Rohese
Re: Loresinging style? 06/02/2014 09:14 AM CDT
>My bardess has access to at least 50 loresongs I have written and used over the years that vary in style and length for all manner of specific and generic items, none of which use the words hand or land (I cringe everytime I hear/see it). If anyone would like help in putting together some verses, I will gladly help.

I attempted to email you, but I got a kickback from your email address saying it's undeliverable. :(
Re: Loresinging style? 06/02/2014 04:18 PM CDT
>>I attempted to email you, but I got a kickback from your email address saying it's undeliverable. :(

That's odd, I have it set up to forward to my regular email (chivers81 at hotmail dot com). Feel free to email me directly on that one.

Roh/Cappyn x

>>You slay me woman! ~ Wyrom

~*~ She conquers, who endures ~*~

http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Rohese
Re: Loresinging style? 06/02/2014 04:27 PM CDT
I would like to learn better loresinging techniques, and would welcome the RP of it. I'm available in the evenings usually from about 11:45 pm to 1 am ET. If anyone would like to work with me, please let me know what evening you could be around and I'll try and log in to find you.
Re: Loresinging style? 06/16/2014 10:08 PM CDT
At what level can a bard reliably lore sing? Is there a series of waypoints where singing will give you X and not Y, but the next level you get both?

What is this land/hand thing anyway?

Magarven the Mad
Re: Loresinging style? 06/16/2014 10:44 PM CDT
>>What is this land/hand thing anyway? <<

It's part of a horribly trite rhyme used to determine the value of an object; considered to be the absolute nadir of loresinging, with no imagination or originality required.

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Loresinging style? 06/16/2014 10:48 PM CDT
If I actually posted an example of it, the post would probably be pulled, since even horribly bad loresinging verses would be considered a "game secret". Doh!

Re: Loresinging style? 06/17/2014 10:20 AM CDT
So, I would like to learn more about the mechanics of loresinging. I understand it can't be posted here on the boards since it is an in-game secret and all. Anyone care to share via email or in-game RP session?
Re: Loresinging style? 06/20/2014 09:02 AM CDT
I'll see about setting up another mentor event on bard loresongs, in the meantime, feel free to find Archales in game as he has a bard training guide he can let you borrow that goes over all the fundamentals of loresinging. He's usually around landing or Icemule, but the 'service show' command might be the easiest way to track me down.

Archales
Re: Loresinging style? 06/20/2014 11:20 AM CDT

Thanks. I'll try and look you up soon, or use Service Show to find a bard. I forgot about the Service option.