Loresong Round Time 08/30/2013 11:13 AM CDT
Does anyone happen to know what, if anything, the round time (RT) associated with each verse of your lore song indicates? My assumption is that the longer the round time, the better the verse is at extracting information from the item. Another possibility is that I'm just simply creating more RT due to the length of each verse.

My bard is presently training level 8 (with 8 ranks in bard songs) and I am working towards being able to extract all of the properties out of feras or drake daggers. On and off I can get the first three responses which I am assuming isn't unreasonable at my current level.

The song I am using consists of the following (with associated RT):
Verse 1 - 6 lines, rhyming scheme AABBCC, keyword VALUE used, item name is referenced - 35 seconds
Verse 2 - 6 lines, rhyming scheme AABBCC, keyword PURPOSE used, item name is referenced - 34 seconds
Verse 3 - 6 lines, rhyming scheme AABBCC, keyword MAGIC used, item name is referenced - 38 seconds
Verse 4 - 8 lines, rhyming scheme AABB CCDD, keyword ABILITY used, item name is referenced - 53 seconds

When I get to the point that I am consistently successful with the above for feras and drake, then I will do some experimentation with simpler (lower RT) songs to see if my success rate drops off. In the meantime I thought I would see if anyone had some experience or insight they could share on this as well.

Thanks in advance!

-- Robert
Re: Loresong Round Time 08/30/2013 11:46 AM CDT
The longer your Song, the longer the RT.

My couplet for value (using 'worth') has an RT of only 10 seconds on my 17th level Bard. 8s for purpose. 9s for bonus. 10s for other.

The same information on my 46th level Bard takes exactly the same thing: 10s, 8s, 9s, 10s.

I sing only two lines most of the time, since I'm getting all the information in 37s and you're getting only the first part in 35s.
Re: Loresong Round Time 08/30/2013 02:35 PM CDT
I know this might be a bit obvious but keywords allow you to skip to what you want to know so you do not have to do a sequence. I especially avoid value because I read we can cause a value of an item to drop - mainly related to gems and stones and such.
Re: Loresong Round Time 08/30/2013 03:09 PM CDT
I know this might be a bit obvious but keywords allow you to skip to what you want to know so you do not have to do a sequence. I especially avoid value because I read we can cause a value of an item to drop - mainly related to gems and stones and such.

It wasn't obvious at all until I read Heathyr's post. I had already created my initial loresong before I knew that though. Next song I'll mix it up a bit more!

-- Robert
Re: Loresong Round Time 10/22/2013 01:52 PM CDT
When I get to the point that I am consistently successful with the above for feras and drake, then I will do some experimentation with simpler (lower RT) songs to see if my success rate drops off. In the meantime I thought I would see if anyone had some experience or insight they could share on this as well.

As a follow up to my previous post my bard is now able to extract that a drake weapon flares fire some of the time. I tested out two different songs:

* Disclaimer: The sample set was fairly small for my testing. I'm not attempting to write a scientific paper on lore singing so much as trying to get a general feel for what might have an impact on loresong success with regard to the songs composition. It seems pretty apparent that bard level is a much larger factor in determining success in general. *

>> Verse 4 - 4 lines, rhyming scheme AABB, keyword ABILITY used, item name is referenced - 17 seconds

About a 50% success rate when singing all the way from verse 1 through verse 4. Able to identify that it is infused with the power of a fire elemental after a few tries of singing verse 4 directly over and over.

>> Verse 4 - 2 line, rhyming scheme AA, keyword ABILITY used, item name is referenced - 9 seconds

Near 0% success rate when singing all the way from verse 1 through verse 4 using 2 liners. Able to identity that it is infused with the power of a fire elemental after very many tries of singing verse 4 directly over and over.

So my current conclusion is that the longer the song (either in terms of lines or time or both) the better chance you have at success. Additionally, it seems that there may be a penalty associated with trying to sing a particular verse directly (using a keyword) vs. following the normal loresong progression of verses.

-- Robert