super fumble 01/26/2017 12:52 AM CST
OK, how badly did the RNG screw me over on this one? I can routinely disarm -400 or better traps with self-cast lore. This one should have been a piece of cake. What sort of open die roll would be in play here? In the last 4 years, I think I have only seen the "horribly awry" message once before.

>>Peering closely into the lock, you spy a miniature blood red scarab wedged into the lock mechanism. The scarab's shell is etched on the back with a dark teardrop-shaped pattern surrounded by tiny runes.

It looks like a very complex trap (about -301).

You still have a good enough picture of the trap in your mind, that you could try to disarm it.
Roundtime: 15 sec.

R>incant 404
You gesture and invoke the powers of the elements for the Disarm Enhancement spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
You become calm and focused.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)
>disarm stro
Having discovered a trap on the strongbox you begin to carefully attempt to disarm it...

Something just went horribly awry!

As you poke around inside the lock, you hear a clicking noise coming from within a badly damaged modwir strongbox. A tiny blood red insect with a large teardrop etched on its shell scuttles out of the locking mechanism and darts towards you!

A blood red teardrop-etched scarab clamps its tiny mandibles onto your chest!
Roundtime: 36 sec.<<
Re: super fumble 01/26/2017 05:50 AM CST
There's a 1% fumble chance, which is what the horribly awry is messaging.

I've never been quite sure how bad your chance of setting the trap off is once you fumble. It will still disarm if your skill is good enough for success despite the open roll downwards, but I'm not sure what chance there is of a null result, and I'm not sure if the roll continues to be open and fumbles of fumbles of fumbles can happen if the 1% chance keeps on coming up.

It has to be something bad beyond just the 1% level but whether its the RNG killing you with a compounded fumble, or a misread on the trap size, or you not noticing the lighting was bad, I can't tell.
Re: super fumble 01/27/2017 12:48 AM CST
I was picking at a table, so the lighting was decent.
I suppose misreading the trap is possible, but I'm usually fairly accurate. In any event, there's no way the trap could have been beyond my skill, even if I were 20 or 30 off on the read.

Super fumble!
Re: super fumble 01/27/2017 04:35 AM CST
Lighting varies from table to table. I've never seen bad lighting at a table, but having found an excellent one that's the one I go to and I haven't checked many. Since table lighting can be good, I'd expect it can also be bad...
Re: super fumble 01/27/2017 05:59 AM CST
Really? Tables vary? Huh, I thought they were all standard decent lighting. I'll have to check them now and see how widely.
Re: super fumble 01/29/2017 06:53 AM CST
Here's an example of a fumble I just did that still disarmed the trap. Fumbles aren't all that uncommon but if the trap doesn't bite you, they tend to go unremembered.

It looks like an intricate trap (about -277).

You still have a good enough picture of the trap in your mind, that you could try to disarm it.
Roundtime: 17 sec.
R>
You feel at full magical power again.
R>disarm my box
Having discovered a trap on the box you begin to carefully attempt to disarm it...

Something just went awry! Luckily, you were able to salvage the attempt.

You carefully nudge the scarab free of its prison without disturbing the lock too much. The scarab falls from the lock and onto the ground in front of you.

Roundtime: 20 sec.