Unrepairable pick 08/24/2017 05:52 AM CDT

I've never seen this before. Is this something thats always been there, and I've never been hit by, though I've done 50 repairs on one pick in the past when researching repair so if picks did become unrepairable I would have expected to have seen it, or a new bug? Its a very old pick, I think its my original invar from 2001, but I've repaired it before.

>lm app my lock
You examine the invar lockpick very closely. It appears to be broken. It seems to have an advantageous level of precision and has excellent strength. Judging by the tip, the lockpick has been repaired about 6 times. You could probably handle an extremely well-crafted lock pretty easily with it, once it's repaired.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
R>lm rep my lock
Using a small glass dropper, you apply a small bit of acid to the fused joint at the base of the tip of a copper-edged invar lockpick, but the broken tip refuses to work free.
Roundtime: 14 sec.
Re: Unrepairable pick 08/24/2017 07:11 AM CDT
Not new. I had one do that to me in 2015, I ended up using it for a deed.

---
Cendadric says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 30 silver coins for it."
You think to yourself, "This deal is getting worse all the time."
Re: Unrepairable pick 08/24/2017 09:56 AM CDT
Any idea what causes it? Is it a 1% fumble thing, or guaranteed to happen after half a dozen repairs on high value picks?
Re: Unrepairable pick 08/24/2017 12:46 PM CDT
>>>Any idea what causes it? Is it a 1% fumble thing, or guaranteed to happen after half a dozen repairs on high value picks?

I honestly am not sure what the rule is, but I am fairly certain picks can only be repaired a certain number of times. (Well, as certain as anyone who has been gone for 6 years can be.) How many, and whether it's a fixed number or variable, I don't know. In my experience, there's no such thing as a pick that can be repaired an infinite number of times. Eventually they all become fodder for the local deed God. I'd figure on being able to repair a pick something like 5 to 10 times, if my very fuzzy memory is correct and nothing has changed.

You specifically mention "high value picks", but I think this applies to all picks. The value/strength/whatever may have some impact on how many times it can be repaired, but they all seem to have a limit.

Unless, of course, you're just so awesome that you never break a pick. Then they last forever!

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."
Re: Unrepairable pick 08/24/2017 01:32 PM CDT
>Any idea what causes it? Is it a 1% fumble thing, or guaranteed to happen after half a dozen repairs on high value picks?

Mine was 5 times broken when it became unrepairable, and I want to say I've repaired picks that were broken more often than that. So it seems the criteria is not precisely number of breaks, but dependent on another value. Or maybe a hidden fumble chance. Search me.

---
Cendadric says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 30 silver coins for it."
You think to yourself, "This deal is getting worse all the time."
Re: Unrepairable pick 08/24/2017 04:06 PM CDT
>You specifically mention "high value picks", but I think this applies to all picks. The value/strength/whatever may have some impact on how many times it can be repaired, but they all seem to have a limit.

I have a copper pick that I have repaired over 50 times and is still going, (and several other coppers with 10-20 repairs) so there isn't a general limit at a low number. There aren't that many pick materials which are of continuing use as they degrade with repair, but invar is one of them, so I'm interested in whether a failure at 6 is to be expected due to it being invar, or just bad luck and it happened to be the invar that tripped the 1% fumble rather than one of my coppers.
Re: Unrepairable pick 08/27/2017 10:03 AM CDT
I'm wondering if it has to to with the condition. e.g. This pick is so flimsy its virtually certain to break if it takes a breakage roll so the condition when it was broken is always excellent (or close to it). However picks that are strong can take quite a lot of damage rolls, degrading their condition quite a bit before they actually break.

You examine the brass-edged lockpick very closely. It appears to be in excellent condition. It seems to have a detrimental level of precision and is flimsy. Judging by the tip, the lockpick has been repaired about 67 times. You could probably handle an extremely easy lock pretty easily with it.

It would almost certainly break if it was used on extremely easy (80-115) locks, its actually my pick for primitive (5-35) locks.

I don't have an appraisal off the invar one from just before it broke, but I have a feeling it was pretty low. Maybe there's a niche use for LM Repair to restore condition at the expense of mod before it breaks, but that will take some further research.

And in the cause of research I let Edwina have her way with the broken pick. 8 hours later (why doesn't Larton give out tickets and say come back in 8 hours for your box?) ...

You examine the invar lockpick very closely. It appears to be in excellent condition. It seems to have an advantageous level of precision and has excellent strength. Judging by the tip, the lockpick has been repaired about 7 times. You could probably handle an extremely well-crafted lock pretty easily with it.

I was considering breaking it again to see if Edwina fixed it to be repairable by me next time, but its actually come out with a useful mod (a touch over 2.00) so that will have to wait till it breaks under the stress of me searching for more exp from boxes again.