Progress 04/08/2015 05:22 PM CDT
I now have 45 ranks in this skill. Talk about glacial but sure. I started two other skills and mastered them after starting lock mastery. It sure doesn't help when I do a two hour hunt and get zero boxes.

Where are all the capped or nearly capped types who need boxes picked? I can pick almost as well as the town locksmiths, and I charge less...

Maynist
Re: Progress 04/08/2015 05:48 PM CDT
Have you tried Teras?

-- Robert

"Wyrom isn't interacting with me, I think he is AFK scripting."
Re: Progress 04/08/2015 06:23 PM CDT
I find the best place to get Rift boxes is the sands and I find the next best place for high end locks is Landing for mino/bowel boxes, though most business in the Landing is kobold boxes.

I wouldn't like to do LM on cutomers alone though. As a bonus fine, but I looted most of my rep boxes myself.
Re: Progress 04/08/2015 10:32 PM CDT
I haven't been to Teras in perhaps 10 years. If people are actually looking for a locksmithing rogue over there, then maybe it's time.

Most of my reps have come from my own boxes. After working on lock mastery for several years, I just want to move along a tad faster. I am roughly 2/3 through the component ranks, and appreciate things should speed up after I get through them.

Maynist
Re: Progress 04/09/2015 01:19 AM CDT
If what you're hunting is giving you a lot of boxes that are too easy for you to get reps off of, this would be the perfect time of year to fixskills away a bunch of ranks in picking to increase the number of boxes for reps.

Also, if it's component reps that are keeping you from advancing, sitting around the tower in the Landing picking boxes for all the folk taking advantage of the F2P wouldn't be a bad way to get access to lots of boxes (it's been a LONG time since I Mastered, but I'm pretty sure trap size doesn't matter as long at it's the right type of trap). Every time I've played the gnome lately I can barely get away from folk who are looking for a locksmith to do other things, even if I leave the tower they find me with SERVICE where ever I'm resting (unless I hide).

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Progress 04/09/2015 07:57 AM CDT
>If what you're hunting is giving you a lot of boxes that are too easy for you to get reps off of, this would be the perfect time of year to fixskills away a bunch of ranks in picking to increase the number of boxes for reps.

Not a problem if you are hunting high level (80+). High level boxes have locks that are too hard to get experience from rather than too easy to get reps from. Roughly levels 40-70 is where this can be worth doing.
Re: Progress 04/09/2015 10:45 AM CDT

>even if I leave the tower they find me with SERVICE where ever I'm resting (unless I hide).

use service suspend if you're not smithing and don't want to be bothered.
Re: Progress 04/10/2015 07:48 PM CDT
>Where are all the capped or nearly capped types who need boxes picked? I can pick almost as well as the town locksmiths, and I charge less...

I would also recommend Teras. Lots of people have given up on PC locksmiths, but if they find out you are around, you'll be in demand. Also, especially on the weekends oddly, there's a ton of boxes to be farmed from Nelemar...people leave them lying around because they aren't worth the cost of the NPC picker, or annoyance of blowing up/poping. I will admit they aren't always terribly rich, but you could probably literally just wonder around nelemar on Saturday morning/afternoon and get enough boxes to rapidly advance in LM. Granted, not terribly rich means, profit vs NPC picker is minimal...still good coin for both parties with PC smith. Heck if you were around you could pick mine, and I've got a capped smith as my secondary character. I rarely leave the temple with less than 6 boxes.

Other option that used to be excellent was right outside of OTF. Not sure if anyone still camps out there, but that was how I finished LM. Used to be 3 rooms with almost screen scroll worth of boxes. Granted that was Tsin era, but I suspect that even if they aren't camping, there's plenty of boxes in need of picking if people know there's a good smith around.

--Jurp
Re: Progress 04/11/2015 12:03 PM CDT
>Other option that used to be excellent was right outside of OTF. Not sure if anyone still camps out there, but that was how I finished LM. Used to be 3 rooms with almost screen scroll worth of boxes. Granted that was Tsin era, but I suspect that even if they aren't camping, there's plenty of boxes in need of picking if people know there's a good smith around.

Illistim can always use locksmiths. Like Jurp mentioned, if you make yourself known, you'll get business. I leave tons of boxes behind every time I hunt (OTF) simply because it's not worthwhile to grab them unless there's a PC smith around.

You've got to be reliably available, though, or people won't bother.

Also, no one camps at the barrier anymore. The dais is the best spot to gather business.

~Brian, Sepher's player

(Kaldonis does not like Sepher and thinks he is wasting time.)